• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarted games you've been looking forward to play

gogojira

Shenmue 3 and Yooka.

I Kickstarted Space Venture which still isn't out, looks absolutely atrocious and will probably never release.

Collosal Kaiju Combat.
I've been waiting so damn long for this.
2566805-7846489311-268x268.resizedimage

I have never actually kickstarted any project due to trust issues and stories about bad kickstarters. However, the two that almost got me were Mighty No. 9 (genuinely glad I passed now with all the problems and how it looks now) and Bloodstained which still looks great

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Maia was on there, but I don't know if that thing's ever coming out at this point.

Mighty No 9 is going to beat it to release at this point

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?

And how did I not know this was a thing? I love Godzilla and everything related to kaiju fighting.

It was a kickstarter from like 2012 it was made by the guy who made the Godzilla(melee, save the earth, unleashed) games for the ps2 xbox gamecube and wii. it was said to release september 2013, then 14, then 15, now i think its coming out sept 2016. it was going to have a free to play game called kaijulands which was supposed to be these silly looking monsters and i believe you could use those free to play monsters to fight the ones from the main game Colossal Kaiju Combat: Clash of the Kaijujin: Fall of Nemesis. Currently Kaijulands has been on steam in very early alpha for the past like year i think but it costs $5 and i dont think it will ever cross over with the main game if it ever comes out.

Edit: I also really love Godzilla. Been like that since I was baby and I had no idea it was coming out either until Matt from Super Best Friends made a video about it, also it was like from the extremely early days of Kickstarter so there wasnt too much buzz about it.

GRW810

Yooka-Laylee. The only game I ever backed and I can't wait for it to (hopefully) release later this year. Every tidbit of media, news and information revealed makes my mouth water.

A few people in this thread have mentioned Little Devil Inside. Any updates about the game? All seems to have gone quiet from them on Twitter, Kickstarter and the official website. Is it coming to Wii U? I think that was the plan.

Looking forward to Energy Hook, a slinging game by the guy who designed the webslinging in Spider-Man 2.

MilkBeard

Shenmue 3. This is the second game I backed on kickstarter. The first was Pier Solar (dreamcast version) and I finally got that a few months back.

Thinking about it now, if Bloodstained is as good as a Castlevania, then I will be looking forward to trying that.

I'm not sure it applies but I can't wait to play my own kickstarted game Holobunnies because it will mean it's released. Can't wait. Almost literally.

Kneefoil

Here's a tier list for how much I'm looking forward to these games.

S Tier
Octopus City Blues
Yooka-Laylee

A Tier
Shantae Half-Genie Hero
Shenmue 3
Indivisible (didn't back this)

B Tier
River City Ransom: Underground (didn't back this)

C Tier
Witchmarsh
Bloodstained (didn't back this)

D Tier
Mighty No. 9
Barkley 2 (didn't back this)

E Tier
Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove (didn't back this)

Alastor3

Bumping an old thread to see which games in these past years that came out of kickstarted that you really liked ?? Which one did you really hate (beside Mighty No.9), what are games that you are still waiting?

For me, i loved Kingdom Come Deliverance, Wandersong, Bloodstained, Thimbleweed Park.

I hated Shenmue 3

Im still waiting on Radio the Universe and OMORI

Bootzilla

Banned
Bumping an old thread to see which games in these past years that came out of kickstarted that you really liked ?? Which one did you really hate (beside Mighty No.9), what are games that you are still waiting?

For me, i loved Kingdom Come Deliverance, Wandersong, Bloodstained, Thimbleweed Park.

I hated Shenmue 3

Im still waiting on Radio the Universe and OMORI
They've run the gamut for me.

LOVED:

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect:
This is just a game that could not and would not get made any other way, a pure old school revival of a favorite cult classic that brought closure to an ancient cliffhanger. This kind of thing is the dream for KS nostalgia projects.

Overload: Interestingly, the better of the attempts to revive Descent was the unofficial one. While the licensed one went up in flames, this proved to be a pitch perfect continuation of Descent. Sadly, it wasn't enough to keep the studio going.

Toejam and Earl - Back in the Groove: Not crazy ambitious, but gets it right. Fun project to follow and delivered on every promise.

Shantae Half Genie Hero: Not my favorite game in the series, admittedly, but beautiful and plays great.

Dreamfall: Another old cliffhanger resolved and manages to make something better than the classic games. Unfortunately the slow release of episodes robbed it of some momentum, but it's a good game.

MIXED:

Armikrog.:
I liked this one more than most people seemed to. I loved the Neverhood and it had a lot of that same charm, but the puzzles weren't as strong and it didn't feel as original.

Shenmue 3: So this is nostalgic as hell and Shenmue is really dear to my heart, but I'm disappointed that it wasn't modernized at all, and that it didn't really make an effort to move the story to a better stopping place.

Underworld Ascendant: It might surprise people to see this in the mixed list, rather than the trash heap. At launch, this game was a dumpster fire, basically a late alpha at best. But after months of patches it has shaped up into an interesting game with a lot of fresh ideas that still is not really the successor to Underworld that was promised.

Mighty No. 9: I didn't hate this as much as most, but I'm also not a die-hard Mega Man fan (especially the 8-bit ones, which seem to be most people's favorites). But it was underwhelming for sure.

TRASH HEAP:

Descent Underground:
My biggest KS regret. A thin, bad multiplayer-only game that launched in EA, then got pulled down so they could focus on SP, and then disappeared forever. Thanks for nothing.

TAKEDOWN: Pure amateur hour. Released to disastrous reviews and a playerbase that never existed.

STILL WAITING:

SpaceVenture:
8 years now. Holy shit. Supposedly finally coming this year, and I don't know if I still care.

Psychonauts 2: Disappointed they sold to MS, but I'm glad this project is safe and supported.

Firmament: Haven't heard from this one in a bit, but I'm still hyped for a (more) VR-centric Cyan game. Even though Obduction wasn't really made with VR interactivity in mind, it was still breathtaking.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I've only got one game on my Kickstarter list that's up in the air:
912111bff9d1891b0bd9f4c6fefac973_original.jpg

Been in dev for 9 years, but he's still plugging away at it, bit by bit.

Collosal Kaiju Combat.
I've been waiting so damn long for this.
2566805-7846489311-268x268.resizedimage

It's annoying to see this, cause the project was bogged down by the devs being incompetent, greedy and generally unwilling to admit that they weren't equipped for the project. It was outright cancelled two years after the post I'm quoting, but there is a beta build up on Steam.

Bootzilla

Banned
They might be sold to Microsoft but the game will honor the kickstarter and will release on all supported platforms
Oh I know, but I like that Double Fine has always done a lot of weird stuff and given their people a lot of freedom to experiment and prototype and I worry that they're going to pivot to safer, larger scale projects now.

never backed a KS game but im still looking forward to Space Venture and HeroU ( i know its out, still would like to try it)

Last edited:

Alastor3

Oh I know, but I like that Double Fine has always done a lot of weird stuff and given their people a lot of freedom to experiment and prototype and I worry that they're going to pivot to safer, larger scale projects now.
I mean, don't get me wrong I loooooveee their smaller project and it itch the niche games i really love, especially Massive Chalice, which is my favorite Xcom game, costume quest and iron brigade, but im glad they are finally doing a bigger projet with psychonauts 2, and maybe we will get a brutal legend or broken age 2 (or totally new ip)

Top Bottom