• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Hastati

Between this and the Shadowrun:HK kickstarter, it looks like Kickstarter for added features for your follow-up RPG is a thing. :)

Are you guys happy with how it worked out for you? (I backed by the way!) The one thing I'm never sure about is how much time smaller studios have to spent on the logistics and KS reward management after it ends, seems like it would be a challenge with so many backers and so few personnel. Even for Larian Studios, I remember them saying that they had a number of difficulties, so it's sort of surprising that they did it again.

Went for the $50 version. I pulled the trigger a few days ago and plan to build my first gaming PC. I've heard fantastic things about the original game, so getting it at what is effectively a 36% discount strikes me as a good deal.

Are you guys happy with how it worked out for you? (I backed by the way!) The one thing I'm never sure about is how much time smaller studios have to spent on the logistics and KS reward management after it ends, seems like it would be a challenge with so many backers and so few personnel. Even for Larian Studios, I remember them saying that they had a number of difficulties, so it's sort of surprising that they did it again.

We're happy with how it worked out; I'm just not sure if we want to do it again. It is plenty of extra work.

Giever

Anyone else feel like dec 2016 not gonna happen? My early bet is on summer 2017.

I can see it happening. They've clearly been working on it for awhile already, they have the engine already from the first game, etc. It seems more like making gameplay tweaks, a campaign, new assets and so on, rather than having to make a whole new game from scratch. Still a lot of work, but not impossible especially considering they aren't starting right now.

KiteGr

Well...
I haven't played the first, but after reading and watching reviews about it, i'm planning to get the Enhanced edition on PS4.

Being a sucker for physical and having yet to play the first game, i think I'll wait for a retail Enhanced/fully-updated edition before getting this one!

Haven't had the chance to get the first game yet, but I'm not gonna pass this one up. Backed! Looks even better than the first one.

Herla

I had to miss the first kickstarter because I was out of money, so I backed this one instantly.

Disappointed that it's still multiplayer focused, but at least the single player "alternative" sounds way more appealing than having to agree with myself every time there's a meaningful choice to make.

Hopefully they'll explain better how it works during the campaign, and I'd also like to hear how they plan to improve itemization (the other big issue I had with the first one).

So are the competitive quests still in single player but with AI controlling the other characters?

Would hate to miss out on that complex aspect because I'm playing solo. Sounds like single player is going to missing out on a lot of cool stuff

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone else feel like dec 2016 not gonna happen? My early bet is on summer 2017.

They've been working on it since the original shipped last June, so that's 2.5 years of development time on a fully established engine and toolset.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

rickyson1

well new personal record for how fast i've backed something after seeing it I guess

didn't even watch the video before backing it

exciting stuff

macewank

It seems more and more that folks are using KS as a mechanism to sell pre-orders for a product and that really doesn't sit well with me.. Like, if you can fund the product without the Kickstarter, you probably don't need to be doing a Kickstarter.. In some cases, you've even got like millions of dollars of venture capital funds (I'm looking at you, Pebble) and you're literally just trying to get paid before you ship product.. Like not even trying to hide it.

That said, I've always thought Kickstarter as a pre-order platform was inevitable, and I don't think Larian Studios is being shady about it (definitely not the latter part of my original statement), so I'm in for $25. I loved the first game.

RPGam3r

Not backing unless they say they're doing a console version during the campaign, especially when Original Sin is releasing on consoles very soon.

It seems more and more that folks are using KS as a mechanism to sell pre-orders for a product and that really doesn't sit well with me.. Like, if you can fund the product without the Kickstarter, you probably don't need to be doing a Kickstarter.. In some cases, you've even got like millions of dollars of venture capital funds (I'm looking at you, Pebble) and you're literally just trying to get paid before you ship product.. Like not even trying to hide it.

That said, I've always thought Kickstarter as a pre-order platform was inevitable, and I don't think Larian Studios is being shady about it (definitely not the latter part of my original statement), so I'm in for $25. I loved the first game.
What's the risk of doing of Kickstarter in this case? Why shouldn't devs do a Kickstarter if their first game was successful? (Asking in general, not just for this KS)

Let's say a game is successful, and the devs have the money to do a sequel. But they want the sequel to be a bigger and better game than their first. I imagine that's why most devs would prefer. Maybe they would like to hire new writers and designers for a better story and better gameplay. Or maybe they want to add online multiplayer so they need money to maintain servers. Or they need more marketing because the first game didn't have enough exposure at launch. Or they would like to bring their next game to consoles and need dev kits. And so on

Palehorse

Backed, for sure. Loved the first one, can't wait for the Enhanced Edition.

These guys ran a really great KS campaign last time and their updates on the production of D:OS were top notch. Lots of video updates with great info and explanations on why/what they were doing.

You can see their passion come through in each one, and the final product was definitely improved over their initial beta launch.

Backed. Went for the Hoodie at $350. I didn't back the original, so figured I'd go hard on the sequel. Beyond excited for this game. Keep it up Larian. My computer is ready for EE to tide me over.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RPG Codex put up some coverage from the press event for this.

As usual for the Codex, it's highly entertaining.

RPG Codex said:
Hey Bubbles, what's it like being bribed by a game developer?
​

Feels pretty good, I'd say. Of course, free transport and accommodation are perfectly normal when you've been invited to a press event, so it was quite sensible that Larian should cover these costs. In my case, they amounted to €228 for first class train tickets and €248 for two nights in a lower-middle-class hotel, plus the cost of a couple of taxi rides. Then, there was the cost of the free food and drink I received on Thursday. However, Larian had to accommodate a dozen journalists as well as a respectable amount of their own staff at these outings, so they couldn't afford to offer quite as top-tier a menu as one might have expected for such an occasion. Between a two-hour lunch, a four-hour dinner, and a four-and-a-half-hour pub crawl, I estimate that I did not consume more than 160 Euros in solid and liquid merchandise, which is really an utterly small amount for the circles that I was moving in. Still, I eventually became aware of the fact that my enthusiastic approach to fine dining was, to a certain degree, open to misinterpretation. My precise moment of epiphany came around 11 PM, when Swen, fresh off his fifth refill of a 2010 Château de Lussac (a pleasant, but rather ordinary vintage), whipped out his cellphone, snarked “Looks like the Codex got corrupted!” and photographed me while I was munching on a delicious cherry-ginger chocolate ice cream cake confection. I mention this incident here both to head off the inevitable tweeted exposé of my indulgence, and to forcefully assure the good Codex community – my friends, my comrades, one and all – that I maintained a clear and critical eye throughout my entire visit at the studio. In fact, I bring you many exclusive scoops, one of them Roguey-related, directly from Swen's mouth. You don't believe me? Then read on, brave readers, and soothe your troubled minds with some thirteen thousand words of undiluted, fully objective information.

StereoVsn

Backed without any reservations. First game had my favorite turned based RPG combat system of all times pretty much. Here is hoping for killing it and getting that writing team a workout!

impact

Banned
I'll back this if they confirm legit co-op. I should be able to bring my character in a friends game to replace one of his pawn dudes. The way it was implemented in OS was laaaaaame.

Top Bottom