• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Linkark07

Banned
Its free for all owners.

I mean, the $50 pledge, which gives you both games (was hoping they had a tier for people who don't have the first game).

But yes, after contacting them, they will send the code when the Enhanced Edition is released.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Larian is a great dev with their heart in the right place but i can't back this. Not after some of the bullshit that Divinity OS put me through.

A lot of little things really hurt the experience for me and a friend, but it was a slow burn. It all culminated with one of the shittiest final bosses.

The encounter right before the finale was brilliant but the actually finale was just awful. At first we appreciated the cheese strats because let's be honest cheesing things is fun but after they started feeling mandatory unless you wanted to over prepare for things.

Things like using the teleport pyramids felt more abusive than actually intended game mechanics. Especially that one area where they are basically required. You could do some serious bullshit with them that kinda took away the satisfaction of completing things, like feather drop a guy across the room have him throw his pyramid as hard as possible, warp to it, pick it up, send it to their inventory and then have them warp to you.

Like okay? I guess that's a puzzle.

I don't know how intentional it was but the whole game felt like one massive parade of abusing AI and game mechanics.

Having one guy entering a fight solo but not ending your turn to keep your turn while the rest of your party sits outside combat and fully buffs and then teleports in.

Using boxes and objects to fuck with boss pathing and keeping minions from ever being an actual problem.

Abusing feather drop
Abusing blood letting as a heal
Abusing rain
Abusing lone wolf as a tank character

Hell there were certain quests that just dropped off but were still required if you screwed them up like the one in the 2nd town's church with the quiz thing.

Also fuck that stealth mission through the mines.

Granted a lot of these can be attributed to the game offering you tons of creative solutions but when they start to feel like abuse it doesn't feel quite as wholesome i guess? I mean I appreciated the true freedom but Larians vision of freedom just felt so exploity and not really encouraging real creativity.

That being said it was still a fantastic game but there was a lot that heavily frustrated me, I know I'm in the minority here too.

I will probably buy it because the first was still one of the best co-op adventures in years but I won't back this after all of that.

Brakke

Banned
^ Agree here, game was very cheese-able. I solved that by just not doing cheese things when I could help it but there it is.

First one had a really cool battle system. I hope they actually write a story for this one. First one was stock-standard fantasy babble for the entire 40-odd hours I played before losing interest.

vocab

I'm not the biggest fan of the final dungeon period. It has its issues. See if the EE cleans some of that stuff up. They know what was wrong with the game, so I'm fully confident they will improve on everything.

Indrik

Neo Member
Hahahahaha!

Also, I'm torn between the $25 and $125 collector's edition.

I am also. On one hand I want to support the team and I also like the stein + artbook.

On the other hand, I'm going on vacation at the end of September and need to save money. Also I have a ton of "junk" in my place already...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Larian is a great dev with their heart in the right place but i can't back this. Not after some of the bullshit that Divinity OS put me through.

A lot of little things really hurt the experience for me and a friend, but it was a slow burn. It all culminated with one of the shittiest final bosses.

The encounter right before the finale was brilliant but the actually finale was just awful. At first we appreciated the cheese strats because let's be honest cheesing things is fun but after they started feeling mandatory unless you wanted to over prepare for things.

Things like using the teleport pyramids felt more abusive than actually intended game mechanics. Especially that one area where they are basically required. You could do some serious bullshit with them that kinda took away the satisfaction of completing things, like feather drop a guy across the room have him throw his pyramid as hard as possible, warp to it, pick it up, send it to their inventory and then have them warp to you.

I don't know how intentional it was but the whole game felt like one massive parade of abusing AI and game mechanics.

Having one guy entering a fight solo but not ending your turn to keep your turn while the rest of your party sits outside combat and fully buffs and then teleports in.

Using boxes and objects to fuck with boss pathing and keeping minions from ever being an actual problem.

Abusing feather drop
Abusing rain

Hell there were certain quests that just dropped off but were still required if you screwed them up like the one in the 2nd town's church with the quiz thing.

Granted a lot of these can be attributed to the game offering you tons of creative solutions but when they start to feel like abuse it doesn't feel quite as wholesome i guess? I mean I appreciated the true freedom but Larians vision of freedom just felt so exploity and not really encouraging real creativity.

That being said it was still a fantastic game but there was a lot that heavily frustrated me, I know I'm in the minority here too.

I will probably buy it because the first was still one of the best co-op adventures in years but I won't back this after all of that.

Manipulating the games systems to break it in half was a huge part of the fun for me. I love doing crazy nonsense like that.

Nearly every single Larian game revolves around abusing the rules for shits and giggles. Goes all the way back to Divine Divinity.

At this point, it's expected and welcomed.

Mr. Tibbs

I just backed this. The PC Gamer video looks amazing. Larian is a seriously talented studio! I have no doubts that Divinity: OS 2 will be a great game.

I'm a little disappointed at the death of digital collector's stuff. I'd throw some extra cash at this for a Digital Lorebook / Artbook / etc but I'm for $25.

There's a lot that I like and a lot that I don't like about the KS. The expanded gameplay and roleplaying sound great, but I don't know how well the new, grimdark writing and origin characters will be. The controller support out of the gate is also a bit of a bummer, because we all know the UI will suffer for this. I guess it just seems like a lot of mass-market, reactionary compromises for the sake of crowdfunding right now.

If anyone can pull all of this off it's Larian, but man... 1.5 years for all that? Seems unrealistic at best, unless that's just a target for Early Access. (Which also seems... optimistic.)

Anyways, I'm really curious to see what the stretch goals are. It already seems like some huge new stuff is added. I can't imagine what else there could be.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If anyone can pull all of this off it's Larian, but man... 1.5 years for all that? Seems unrealistic at best, unless that's just a target for Early Access. (Which also seems... optimistic.)

2.5 years, D:OS came out in June of 2014, they've been working on it since then.

My only beef with this so far is that it looks like I'll have to find 3 people to play the entire thing with to get the best possible experience, if they can actually pull off all this pie in the sky sounding stuff and keep it interesting past the first third of the game it'll be a more than worthy successor to GOTY 2014.

The controller support out of the gate is also a bit of a bummer, because we all know the UI will suffer for this. I guess it just seems like a lot of mass-market, reactionary compromises for the sake of crowdfunding right now.

Based on how controller support has been handled for the EE (completely separate from the M+K UI) I'm not sure that's a concern. If anything it might prevent them from putting in those awful pixel hunt puzzles from the first one.

DJ_Lae

In at the early-bird $25 level - didn't even really have to think about it.

Loved the first game, getting in on a second at less than its eventual launch price is too tempting.

My only beef with this so far is that it looks like I'll have to find 3 people to play the entire thing with to get the best possible experience, if they can actually pull off all this pie in the sky sounding stuff and keep it interesting past the first third of the game it'll be a more than worthy successor to GOTY 2014.

Based on how controller support has been handled for the EE (completely separate from the M+K UI) I'm not sure that's a concern. If anything it might prevent them from putting in those awful pixel hunt puzzles from the first one.
Of course playing with friends who are all into roleplaying and won't mind being a dick to one another for some competitive rp shenanigans would be the optimal experience. But I feel like with the systems they're implementing this time around random online play is just as viable now. 4 random players with shifting allegiances could make for some interesting situations.

I didn't back the first one but managed to get it right before it came out last year....one of my better purchases last year. I loved it more than W2 and PoE(both also good) so this deserves my $25.

Backed because I loved OS...I'm not sure I want stretch goals as the game is ambitious enough as it is. From the video, I'm worried that they might not deliver what they're proposing properly.

VandalD

Hopefully they keep the stretch goals more within reason and can also focus on making this work really well if you don't have a friend or three to play a long ass RPG with. Backed!

Of course playing with friends who are all into roleplaying and won't mind being a dick to one another for some competitive rp shenanigans would be the optimal experience. But I feel like with the systems they're implementing this time around random online play is just as viable now. 4 random players with shifting allegiances could make for some interesting situations.

I'd be OK with playing with randos in theory, but it sounds like it's the same deal as D:OS where you play on one save with specific characters? It doesn't sound like what they're doing supports dropping in and out with your own character, so you'd have to somehow get people to stick with you for 60+ hours across a bunch of sessions. Would suck a lot to get halfway through and have one or two people flake.

Ooh neat, originally was in for 25 but upon noticing they had a pack with the original enhanced I upped to 50. I like many it seems got in late to the party and decided to wait on the enhanced edition to dive in. Nice to know then I'll have a good pool of newbie players to coop with when it does release, as stuff like this tends to get to a really sterile min max state when you jump into multiplayer this late and I wanna be able to enjoy the story content at a leisurely pace.

Horp

Abusing feather drop
Abusing rain

Haha sorry but to me pretty much everything you describe is the FUN with D:OS!
Just like old RPGs. Free systems that allowed you to do fucked up things. Making you go wowww wtff? There are enough streamlined and sense-making games out there.

dhlt25

insta back. I really enjoyed my 62hrs with the first game (although the end kinda drag a bit), can't wait for the enhanced edition to play through it again.

bounchfx

the first one was one of the best RPGs I've played in my life, let alone last year. I'm absolutely down for this. Backed for two copies.

Alright, I derped previously. Should've just watched the trailer first instead of relying on just the KS text, as it explained things a bit more clearly. Now I think it sounds really good; I'll have to seriously consider backing it.

I'm really interested in what the origins/race/class stuff will be. Has there been any indication? I didn't notice anything specific on the KS page.

Sweet Ivy

Very excited about this, I backed as soon as the campaign started. It's hard to find such a quality co-op to play with buddies, in all honesty.
I'm sure this game will be great, they will improve on the first and will be pumped by people enthusiasm.

Anyway, they had (still have?) polls on their website about KS goals etc.

vocab

Alright, I derped previously. Should've just watched the trailer first instead of relying on just the KS text, as it explained things a bit more clearly. Now I think it sounds really good; I'll have to seriously consider backing it.

I'm really interested in what the origins/race/class stuff will be. Has there been any indication? I didn't notice anything specific on the KS page.

They said none of that stuff is fully in place yet so we don't know. They did mention race animosity between party members so there's that at least.

Vamphuntr

Backed this morning. I loved the first one so much. Can't wait for it. Spells fusions and the new dialog system seems a nice improvement. Also happy they are now doing a more grounded story.

I wonder how many projections are being annihilated with this sort of first-day performance.

Lucky Larian.
They said none of that stuff is fully in place yet so we don't know. They did mention race animosity between party members so there's that at least.

Man I must be misreading everything today. Bah.

Thanks.
Im backer #140 something cause im a man of quality etc

Kinggi of Kings.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pledged $25 earlier today to make sure I got it. Original Sin was really good, and the pitch here is basically "more and better." Which is fine by me.

Wonder if those stretch goals that didn't make it into Original Sin (day/night, etc) will get added here, since the game can be designed for them from the ground up.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been wanting the first one for ages but it has held its price too well, I love aRPGs and I've never played a turn based one so it would be interesting.

Top Bottom