• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Silky

Banned

10898044386_8862108bd7_o.png

10898046746_90c20c2cb3_o.png

10898297303_abe680b103_o.png

10898052186_63ab644c2f_o.png

10898302773_eacb4ba7f4_o.png

10898152514_faf678aea1_o.png

10898160824_7e399d62b2_o.png

Killer Instinct has a traditional 6-button layout (LMH Punch/LMH Kick.) Special attacks such as Jago's fireball can be performed with the traditional QCF (Quarter-Circle Forward)+ any Punch button, among other things. Killer instinct follows a "Life Bar" based system in which character has two bars of life, your first layer colored green while your last layer is colored red. Lose both layers, and you lose the match. It's all played in one consistent round, Similar to Darkstalkers 3.

10898075776_57368c9a5e_o.png

Combos in Killer Instinct almost always follow this pattern:

Opener > Auto-Double / Manual > Linker / Shadow Linker > Auto-Double / Manual > Ender

You can always end these or extend these how you please, but a combo must always begin with an Opener, or an Ender.

Openers are usually light-medium special attacks, such as Jago's wind kick.

Auto Doubles are the easiest way to continue a combo, but at the same time, it's easier for your opponent to combo break. Auto doubles are performed after the opener with any other button.

Linkers are/can be followed after Auto Doubles. Linkers can be performed with any character's special.

Manuals are much harder to perform than an Auto Double. Manuals require strict timing and must happen immediately after an opener/linker/auto double. While it is harder to perform a manual, it's also the hardest to break.

Enders are heavy special attacks used to end a combo, such as Jago's heavy dragon punch. Different enders have different properties.

10898324653_56b3732b5b_o.png

Combo Breakers are a staple of the Killer Instinct franchise. They're used to stop the flow of your opponent's combo, and build instinct meter. To execute a Combo Breaker, you have to use the right combination of Punch+Kick to correspond with your enemy's attack. For example, say Sabrewulf uses an auto double involving the Medium Punch. I would then press MP+MK to successfully counter with Jago. But, if I guess wrong, then Jago is locked-out and can't use another breaker for 3 seconds. If you get a red 'X' for your lockout, that means your breaker was the wrong strength. If it's orange, it means it was mistimed.

Counter Breakers are new to the KI franchise. They counter combo breakers! If you think your enemy is going to do a breaker, press MP+MK to immediately cancel your combo and perform a bluff. If you successfully counter, that person is locked out from combo breaking for four seconds.

10898030565_bf7af359ec_o.png

Basically the Shadow Meter is thought of as a Super Arts bar. You can use one half of a shadow meter bar to perform Shadow Moves that power up your special attack. You can use your shadow bar as both Shadow Linkers that cannot be broken, and Shadow Breakers that can only break Shadow Linkers. Shadow Counters can be used as your opponent attacks to successfully stop his combo and open with a Shadow Special. There are many applications for the Shadow Meter!

10898076026_88ffa46db2_o.png

Under your character's portrait is a small yellow bar. That bar, is your Instinct Meter. When it fills to the top, and when you activate it. It grants your character new, special properties that could very well change the tide of the match. For example; Jago's Instinct starts health regen, and give him +4 frames of hit/block stun. Instinct is used to also Reset your combo meter and start a brand new combo. Hence, where double ultras come from!

10898076686_c5f67313fb_o.png

When your character's bar is in the danger zone. (Less than 15% health/bar begins flashing red rapidly.) You can perform your ultra combo. Ultras are usually a character's special combined with all three punches or all three kicks. To perform an Ultra, you must have at least two hits in a combo.

10898324153_63f384db2a_o.png

SEASON 2 CHARACTERS

TJ Combo
Maya
???
???
???
???
???
???
WfnSapV.jpg

Everything in this chart should be self explanatory. The basic bundle of characters will be $20. The Ultra addition with added accessories, costumes, and Killer Instinct Classic 'HD' will be $40. The Pin Ultimate Edition (for Pinny Arcade people) will be $60. There's the option of downloading the entire game for free, and unlocking characters individually for $5. As you unlock more characters individually, the price for each character drops until you pay the full $20. Otherwise? This is not a traditional F2P formula. There are no microtransactions other than characters.

10898171214_8d72ca8f29_o.png

Hey look, customization! For every character, there are four sets of accessory pieces right now. As you play through the game, the accessories can be unlocked in-game with KP (The in game currency you earn completing challenges.)

10898035885_6cb7609b0e_o.png

10898076906_1158189600_o.png

10898327953_c08fe4f517_o.png

10898034485_0fea704955_o.png

IN THE RAW #1
IN THE RAW #2
IN THE RAW #3
IN THE RAW #4

10898328913_beb2982af9_o.png

Collection of music teasers
Mick Gordon Killer Instinct Music Teaser Suite

10898327063_362bfa5c1d_o.png

ibgik38H2dBD1K.gif

10598645443_154e11033b_o.gif

iMJQtI8HqzwJ2.gif

10898074796_a9abf33979_o.png

Thanks to Poker Face for refreshing me on my editing. All credit for the gameplay videos of course goes to Maximillian. Credit to Paco for the HUGE Overhaul of the OP. Credit to Shinobi602 for the neat little review thread he made ages ago

Gowans

Never played a past KI, not massively into fighters but this is my most anticipated next gen game and the first I'll play.

Loved it at events and can not wait!

Mdk7

Fuck yeah!
I'll repost my fanart in here as well (as i said before, soon i'll make another one dedicated to Sadira/Jago/Orchid to complete the series).

killer_instinct_minimalist_poster_by_mdk7-d6u4i3c.jpg

Sydle

Great OT.

My most anticipated next-gen game and THE reason I'm getting a Xbone day one. I know I"m going to be destroyed in the beginning, but I intend to get good at this game.

I'll be fighting online. Add me: Sydle

Unity2012

Nice job! Thank you for the OT.

Another game I did not expect to like this much and sucked me right in during two different events.

I like the choices to buy more or less content depending on our taste or level of interest.

Ubersnug

I wish I could get confirmation whether Twitch live streaming will be available day one on the Xone as this is one game that seems MADE for live streaming.

How can I hold all these OTs.

I just got my PS4. Give me a minute to enjoy it before you lay the Xbone awesome on me.

Top Bottom