• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Mercenary details from Polish magazine, showing back up next (this?) week

cyborg009

Banned
Ugh 8 player online....

from vita thread Tomodachi:

na30rG5.jpg

6919.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
So it looks like it will be a collection of different "missions" instead of one full campaign? 9 missions are ~1 hour each

It's not even a normal campaign? Definitely passing if that ends up being the case.

I guess the trend of portable gaming being treated as a joke continues.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's not even a normal campaign? Definitely passing if that ends up being the case.

I guess the trend of portable gaming being treated as a joke continues.

9 missions [chapters?], each ~1hr long is not enough for you? That's twice the lenght of all COD campaigns.

Sid

I gave up trying to read Google's version of english.

No they weren't. There was a story connecting each level together if that's what you meant. But it wasn't like the way COD Vita or Unit 13 is set up.
Always were,I don't mean like COD Vita though.

VanWinkle

I gave up trying to read Google's version of english.

No they weren't. There was a story connecting each level together if that's what you meant. But it wasn't like the way COD Vita or Unit 13 is set up.

Yes, and this has a story, too. At least wait for english details. My goodness.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, it isn't ad-hoc multiplayer, the italian text says "modalità multiplayer sviluppata appositamente ad hoc per il gioco", that could be translated as "multiplayer mode developed from the ground up for the game".

Still, September 2013? Sounds...a long time before release.

Afrikan

Graphics look AMAZING for a handheld...shit it looks like the PS3 version. I know they use the same engine, but man still seems weird seeing the end result.

That was my main problem with COD...I'm a graphics whore.

Ugh, the 8 player limit for online is disappointing. Hopefully the details will alleviate some concerns. Even Declassified felt odd with 8. In a strange way, it just doesn't feel like it breeds good competition.

I'm starting to think it is a limit imposed by Sony.

Loudninja

Guys, it isn't ad-hoc multiplayer, the italian text says "modalità multiplayer sviluppata appositamente ad hoc per il gioco", that could be translated as "multiplayer mode developed from the ground up for the game".

Still, September 2013? Sounds...a long time before release.
I guess this is getting alot of effort.

Takuan

If the multiplayer is robust, this may wind up being the savior that COD was supposed to have been.

Lol. But seriously, I welcome a Vita shooter with a strong multiplayer component.

I just hope that the engine performs well. I don't think they should even bother if they can't hit 30FPS locked.

Lol only 8 players? Seriously thinking about not touching this game.
If they put effort into the map design, 8 players is plenty for an intense, tactical MP experience.

Musiol

It isn't only ad-hoc. That's why you cannot believe translators if it isn't translated by native speaking person. Also, I've got key elements already translated to english and checked few times just to clarify everything and not to mistake anybody. But probably it won't matters anyway after the Sony's leak (why are they need embargoes when they still fuck the shit up by themselves?)

VanWinkle

When has a shooter had replay value? They're probably talking about points farming for meaningless leaderboard numbers instead of actual content changing.

So what? Why do you think those little iOS games like Jetpack Joyride are so popular even though it's the same thing? People are competitive and they like to beat other people on leaderboards.

- 8 players is a very low count, was hoping for 16 or at least 12
- No co-op again? That's gotta be the biggest blunder in the Killzone franchise. Need co-op campaign and spec ops type of co-op. Those are fun as hell
- No cross platform play. Missed opportunity again. Wipeout 2048/HD is the only major game that has done this, which is a shame

Tomodachi

Posting my very rough translation from the article here too :)

The story starts right after the first killzone's ending and covers many of the events told in the three chapters. You'll play as a mercenary named Arran Danner. He's an ex-soldier from UCA that takes no issue on working for ISA and the Helghast.
When a simply rescue mission for Ambassador Vektan and his family goes wrong Danner realized that the outcome of the war depends on the Ambassador's son. While the two factions try as they can to take hold of the boy Darren starts wondering if victory's price is really worth it.

Composed of 9 single player missions (one hour each). Missions are replayable, enriched with challenges and special goals. There's also a new multiplayer mode with six maps for eight players and three different gameplay modes (including Warzone).

Every action gets a reward. The better your performances, the better the pay, not only in single player but in multiplayer as well. Your pays will be stored in a single bank account and you can use your money to buy weapons and accessories for multiplayer matches.
Killzone Mercenary uses at best Vita's controls and graphical power. Dual sticks controls, tipycal of FPSs, are accompanied with touch screen to unleash brutal attacks, and moving the console allows you to aim with greater precision. The game uses Killzone 3's powerful graphical engine. Game's out in September. In the next weeks we'll have an exclusive interview with Piers Jackson, Game Director, and we'll have a better look at the multiplayer mode.

Derrick01

Banned
So what? Why do you think those little iOS games like Jetpack Joyride are so popular even though it's the same thing? People are competitive and they like to beat other people on leaderboards.

That's cheap garbage gaming though. If that's how they're going to treat their "big" games on Vita then they deserve the poor sales.

I say that under the notion that the campaign ends up like that. We still don't know for sure yet so I'm just saying IF it's like that.

Tomodachi

Oh I also wanted to specify that "ad-hoc" is used very often in italian but it means "designed specifically for", so they're simply saying that the multiplayer was designed specifically for this Vita chapter. It does not imply the type of infrastructure for the online games!

Grisby

When has a shooter had replay value? They're probably talking about points farming for meaningless leaderboard numbers instead of actual content changing.
A lot of shooters have had a ton of replay value for me. Bulletstorm, Borderlands and almost all of the Halo games to name a few.

Sylver

Banned
Nice that graphics from first "gif" don't seem to be downgraded :D, can't waint but september is too far away :_(. Vita needs this games as soon as possible.

BibiMaghoo

8 players is disappointing.

In a team game, the maps will need to be very small, or people will be wondering around with nothing to shoot.

Just like Resistance. And those maps are hardly huge.

If this game is native resolution..... I'm totally going to freak the fuck out.

Well, it's being developed by Cambridge, and they may just be the most talented studio from a tech standpoint that's working on the Vita. So if it's possible to have those visuals at a native resolution then they'd be the developer to pull it off.

I can honestly say I am super excited for this game! Graphics look amazing, gameplay sounds promising (especially with gyro aim), mp SHOULD BE top notch! I just hope the story is at least better than KZ3's. That's one thing guerrilla needs work on, is its story telling.

Need to see the trailer ASAP...

Xenon

New Killzone -_- for the Vita O_O

I have never had any interest in the series. If it controls well, I'd give it a run on the Vita. The only thing 1:1 sounds great but most of the detail would be lost on the small screen especially when you get into dark areas.

Spiegel

Yep, September date is disappointing. They have been planning the game since January 2011 at the very least. I was expecting May/June.

Also 4vs4 again? Why do I feel like this is some kind of limitation coming from Sony? PSP games had bigger player count.

cyborg009

Banned
Yep, September date is disappointing. They have been planning the game since January 2011 at the very least.

Also 4vs4 again? Why do I feel like this is some kind of limitation coming from Sony? PSP games had bigger player count.

Party chat seem to be the blame....

DieH@rd

Banned
New Killzone -_- for the Vita O_O

I have never had any interest in the series. If it controls well, I'd give it a run on the Vita. The only thing 1:1 sounds great but most of the detail would be lost on the small screen especially when you get into dark areas.

You are aware that Vita has an awesome OLED screen which is perfect thing for dark content?

B.O.O.M

Well they are releasing Soul Sacrifice in April. If they can put around 2 good games in between then and the KZ date I am good to go

And I'm not sure why some people are worried about the 'missions' aspect of the game. I think it sounds Perfect! It's called KZ: Merc...it was always going to be based on missions. But a mission that lasts 1 hour? Sounds great to me..it means basically 1 mission = 1 chapter type of deal

Top Bottom