• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary Reviews Thread

Moobabe

Judging by the Beta, the multiplayer was nearly unplayable until I set the DMZ to the Vita, on recommendation by a GAFer. However, needing DMZ is not optional and I'm not sure if I'm willing to give it to the Vita for an extended period of time.

I've had to set mine to a DMZ as well to play the full version.

B.O.O.M

Judging by the Beta, the multiplayer was nearly unplayable until I set the DMZ to the Vita, on recommendation by a GAFer. However, needing DMZ is not optional and I'm not sure if I'm willing to give it to the Vita for an extended period of time.

I see. I didn't change any of my settings tho and had no issues with the game :S I wonder if that gigantic patch was related to this problem

lights

From the guy who wrote the 5.5 Nowgamer review:

Dv9iN5e.jpg

Apparently his review experience is Loaded magazine (i.e. Nuts, Zoo, FHM quality). That explains a lot.

b09w9Fj.jpg

ouch Nowgamer... even more bizarre then a Polygon review
if there was one for Mercenary but the game comes a week later in the U.S
just another shooter... shooting enemy in the face... ummm I just can't

KDR_11k

No saving mid-level progress seems like a cardinal sin for a handheld title, even with suspend you only have very short timespans in which you can decide "let's switch to MP" without losing progress.

BTW, when you are using cover it looks like you still have your head above the cover, is that just a camera trick to let you see what's going on or are you really that vulnerable? Finding full cover in the heat of battle tends to go badly for me.

Also are there bots? Handhelds aren't exactly connected to the internet 24/7 so focusing on a game mode that can't be played when you aren't in range of your home console anyway would be very unsuitable. I can't check since I'm currently mid-level and don't want to lose my progress.

For low reviews, expectations too high I guess.

I mean, as a handheld it's amazing! But I think they're reviewing it like a regular FPS for consoles.

If this was Killzone on the consoles, than a lower score is understandable. But for a portable, it's the best FPS/shooter made and should be credited with that in mind.

Moobabe

For low reviews, expectations too high I guess.

I mean, as a handheld it's amazing! But I think they're reviewing it like a regular FPS for consoles.

If this was Killzone on the consoles, than a lower score is understandable. But for a portable, it's the best FPS/shooter made and should be credited with that in mind.

I don't think you can unduly award points to game simply because it's on a handheld.

Alric

Judging by the Beta, the multiplayer was nearly unplayable until I set the DMZ to the Vita, on recommendation by a GAFer. However, needing DMZ is not optimal and I'm not sure if I'm willing to give it to the Vita for an extended period of time.

I had no issues with connectivity with the beta but what is DMZ?

Tygamr

I wonder if the average will go up when all the American reviews are out.

For the same reason PC-like games on consoles aren't compared to the PC versions, people should just use common sense. I get that it may be too much to ask of some though.

This actually does happen sometimes though. BioShock Infinite on consoles was compared to the PC version in at least three reviews I read, saying while it looked good on consoles, it looked amazing on PC, and NPCs looked more alive there, while they looked more statue like on console.

The first Medal of Honor suffered from the same thing in reviews: "it doesn't have killstreaks and perks like Call of Duty" was an oft-quoted "failure" of the game in reviews.

I agree with you 100%.

What? Medal of Honor was around before Call of Duty.

Sorral

That's a matter of taste and timing. Gravity Rush and Uncharted came out more than a year ago and AC:L is approaching the 1 year mark (and it's also really bad). 2 of those other games are ports I believe, I played Guacamelee on PS3 for instance. So for someone like me yeah I need something to fill the huge gap in my Vita library. I haven't even turned the thing on since late April.

Well, as I asked earlier: Have you tried the beta for KZ:M? Since you have not turned on your Vita since April, I'm guessing no.

lights

I wonder if the average will go up when all the American reviews are out.

This actually does happen sometimes though. BioShock Infinite on consoles was compared to the PC version in at least three reviews I read, saying while it looked good on consoles, it looked amazing on PC, and NPCs looked more alive there, while they looked more statue like on console.

What? Medal of Honor was around before Call of Duty.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the MOH 2010 reboot.

I never had any issues, even when doing a short try at work. May have something to do with the type of UPnP you have or something. I've never had issues with anything supporting UPnP, which fortunately is basically everything on PSN (Vita and PS3)

mollipen

Ahh, fun times!

"Gaping hole in your Vita's library." -- EGM.

So Dragon's Crown, Muramasa Rebirth, Gravity Rush, Guacamelee!, ACIII Liberation, Uncharted Golden Abyss, just to name a few, aren't good?

Like someone said on page 1 -- these guys don't know how to review Vita games.

What you quoted was in Josh's summary, which was only three sentences long, so I'm not at all sure how you misunderstood that line. He was talking about the "gaping hole" of good first-person shooters on the Vita, and how while he didn't think Mercenary was a fantastic game, that it was the best offering in that genre on the platform so far. So, if you're wanting a FPS title on the Vita, this is now your best bet for filling that hole.

No offense, but I've no clue how you took that line out of context.

remember guys egm gave aliens colonial marines a 9 so they must be right on this one

Media outlets aren't one borg-like entity. Somebody at EGM gave Colonial Marines a 9, and nobody else in the office agreed with him in that opinion. Also, you're taking a dig at us by using the score of a person who hasn't even been on staff for months and months.

egm has the most pathetic review so far. They must have signed some serious advertisement contract recently.

I have no idea what this even means. Does this mean we were paid to be against Killzone Mercenary? Or for it, and maybe we failed at fulfilling our end of the bargain?

What the hell were some reviewers expecting from this game? That it will reinvent FPS genre and it just failed miserably? The same reviewers most likely be gushing all over TitanFall even though it is same old FPS formula. I just don't get it.

Anyways, good to see a game Vita deserves.

GYNGA

I don't think you can unduly award points to game simply because it's on a handheld.
You can't, but you have to keep in mind that you are playing a handheld game. Giving 8/10 for KZM graphics is ridiculous. So is saying that KZM has cramped controls. Why do mobile FPSs get 9+ average scores while being highly inferior to console games? Why can't Vita games be criticized by their own merits?

um...ok.

as someone who really enjoyed fire emblem awakening, i'm not sure what that has to do with killzone mercenary. different platform; different genre.

So I can't prefer a game over another unless they are the same genre and on the same platform?

Gestault

I have something to point out to people that may be shocking or may elicit a "meh":

A portable game with online play needs to function without requiring changes to UnPNP and DMZ settings to be acceptable, because unless you're simply sitting in your own home playing it, you don't have control over wifi configurations in outside locations.

btkadams

So I can't prefer a game over another unless they are the same genre and on the same platform?

what are you even talking about? when did i say that? it just didn't seem at all related to this thread.

hold on while i go into the dragon's crown thread and tell everyone i'd rather play a good game like super mario 3d land.

Ty4on

It is indeed short, probably 3 - 4 hours to complete nine missions. Those who like to run and gun with little interest in collecting intel or exploring the levels will lean closer to 3 hours.

Those who like to explore and wish to make the most of the game and its presented challenges will get a lot more out of the campaign, as not only is there intel to find and acquire (some of which requires stealth interrogations of high ranking enemies, which means you'll need to silently isolate them), but every stage also has three optional challenge modes that present you with a set of completion criteria. For example making your way through stealthily with X weapon while collecting Y intel, or getting X kills with Y weapon and performing several triple kills. The themed challenges spice up the campaign kind of like GoldenEye's extra objectives.

If you're a hit-and-quit style player who won't stick around for replays, the campaign has less value.

You made me imagine a Perfect Dark on the Vita. Now I want a Perfect Dark on the Vita :(

Think I'll pick this up, especially if I find it cheap. I'd love a longer campaign, but the multiplayer beta was good.

Top Bottom