• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary Reviews Thread

Torgo

Yet you're discounting the opinion of those who scored it below a 9...

I understand that it's an opinion, but even after reading the reviews, I'm not really seeing any real explanations that make any sense. To me, it seems like some didn't even want to play the game, so they set it to 'easy' and blew through it without actually experiencing everything. Also, to compare ANY portable game to a full console title isn't really the right way to go.

If you're not going to give a game, any game, a fair shake, why even post a review? Besides trying to generate traffic.

Just my opinion at least

I'm done talking about this though, because it's just becoming a fanboy debate at this point. I'm going to look for some online matches in Killzone: Mercenary and have some fun. #Games

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
No. How about we just judge the Vita by its own standards?

Rule of thumb suggests:

PC games get compared to other PC games
Console games get compared to console games
Mobile games get compared to mobile games
Handheld games get compared to handheld games.

It's not perfect but compared to the 3DS KZM is a 10/10 for graphics. Gameplay is a different matter but you have to have some perspective. Comparing the Vita to a console is just coming off as an excuse to mark it down.

Xater

I'm done talking about this though, because it's just becoming a fanboy debate at this point. I'm going to look for some online matches in Killzone: Mercenary and have some fun. #Games

Definitely fun. I am also still playing MP and SP after my review. Problem is I can#t keep persona and Killzone on this card....

Come on Amazon! Get me that 32Gb card!

Neuro

Most of the reviews are going to make comparisons with "full blown" shooters on the big consoles, they are not going to evaluate it on its own merit, so I think reviews can suck this one up right up.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's crazy. I just don't get that mindset. 3DS never has that problem when it comes to reviews. If we are judging the Vita against their console counterparts, it's games are never gonna break a 7.

Yes, that's the problem and many people look at Metacritic to make their final judgement. At least compare apples to apples for God's sake.

Nowgamer gave Hotline Miami 9/10 for graphics and 8/10 for graphics for this game, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf graphics are as good as KZM

360626.jpg

359696.jpg

363052.jpg

Are you telling me that in any way makes sense?!

Sure are some wide ranging opinions there. Really enjoyed the Beta, though I don't think I'll be picking this up right now. Could see playing it down the line.

LuchaShaq

Banned
But what do you compare it to?

If its OK to score handheld games against console and PC games, handheld scores are going to plummet.

That's not true at all.

Compare hotline Miami vita or p4g to any action game/rpg on pc/consoles, they come out fine.

People's gaming time and money is limited. If a reviewer I trusted said Kz m was great because it was a competent handheld shooter. I would feel cheated/lied to if I played it and it was not even up to average console shooters like cod/Kz.

I love my vita but being on a handheld is a hurdle to overcome or utilize, not a handicap to goose review scores up.

DigitalOp

Banned
I understand that it's an opinion, but even after reading the reviews, I'm not really seeing any real explanations that make any sense. To me, it seems like some didn't even want to play the game, so they set it to 'easy' and blew through it without actually experiencing everything. Also, to compare ANY portable game to a full console title isn't really the right way to go.

If you're not going to give a game, any game, a fair shake, why even post a review? Besides trying to generate traffic.

Just my opinion at least

Game reviews have been demeaned to pure PR drivel, Site traffic, and nonsensical bias. Every once in a while I see a pure review that sensibly matches up to the actual merits of the game. Esp when I sit down and finally get my hands on it, Opinions turn to bullshit and I scoff at the fact that these people refer to themselves as "gamers", even "journalists"

Its one thing to have an opinion, but when the things you say aren't informed, or are just absolutely untrue, then you're wasting everyones time essentially.

I stopped caring about reviews a looong time ago when they stopped being informative and carefully examined for accuracy. Its clear that ALOT of these "reviewers" know nothing about games. So whatever....

I just play the game. Screw their opinion. I trust GAF's word 10,000x more than any site on the web. Because its made up of real people who LOVE Video Games.

nampad

Hmm... when it hits used at gamestop for $35 will be my sweet spot!

5 bucks over supporting the dev? Poor GG Cambridge. That's not even two drinks or a fast food menu.

Surely, you are free to do what you want with your money.

That's not true at all.

Compare hotline Miami vita or p4g to any action game/rpg on pc/consoles, they come out fine.

People's gaming time and money is limited. If a reviewer I trusted said Kz m was great because it was a competent handheld shooter. I would feel cheated/lied to if I played it and it was not even up to average console shooters like cod/Kz.

I love my vita but being on a handheld is a hurdle to overcome or utilize, not a handicap to goose review scores up.

Then the same should be made with IOS/Android games.

Drek

It's crazy. I just don't get that mindset. 3DS never has that problem when it comes to reviews. If we are judging the Vita against their console counterparts, it's games are never gonna break a 7.

3DS games don't get docked if they're a Nintendo IP or a genre that more or less only lives on handhelds, otherwise they'll take some lumps for simply being a handheld title as well.

The Vita however gets the handheld review stigma with basically every release because it focuses on the same genres with similar visuals and often even the same franchises (such as Killzone).

I'd say we shouldn't judge too harshly when a reviewer slants his handheld score because chances are he played it while sitting in an office with the HD twins and gaming PCs all around them. But then they are professionals and are supposed to differentiate between various formats.

I mean, if all games should be lumped in and compared to all other games how does a console version of a multi-plat ever break an 8 when the PC version runs with better visuals, higher resolution, and superior frame rate? Reviewers handle this incongruity when covering multi-plat v. PC releases because (my belief) they're predominantly console gamers and therefore that is the "base line" they normalize to.

Ultimately it's just another example of video game "journalism" being more an extension of industry PR with very little objective skill required, and therefore almost entirely lacking throughout.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Rule of thumb suggests:

PC games get compared to other PC games
Console games get compared to console games
Mobile games get compared to mobile games
Handheld games get compared to handheld games.

It's not perfect but compared to the 3DS KZM is a 10/10 for graphics. Gameplay is a different matter but you have to have some perspective. Comparing the Vita to a console is just coming off as an excuse to mark it down.

I didn't say compare it to console games. I said judge it on Vita standards. 3DS fans aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth. 3DS is a generation behind the Vita. To compare Vita games to 3DS games is being unfair to the 3DS. Obviously it depends on the type of game, but in general retail Vita games just aren't comparable to 3DS. They're a generation ahead because that's what the hardware allows. It's comparable to the difference between Wii and PS360 games.

If you judge a game like Killzone Mercenary compared to what the 3DS is capable of then Killzone is handheld game of the forever. We shouldn't do that. We should judge Killzone compared to other Vita games and what the Vita is capable of in general. Just like if a 3DS shooter comes out we should judge that by 3DS standards, not Vita standards or original DS standards or any other system where the difference in capability of the systems is huge.

Yes, that's the problem and many people look at Metacritic to make their final judgement. At least compare apples to apples for God's sake.

Nowgamer gave Hotline Miami 9/10 for graphics and 8/10 for graphics for this game, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf graphics are as good as KZM

359696.jpg

363052.jpg

Are you telling me that in any way makes sense?!

Nowgamer, like Meristation and others only hear the voice of those that pay the advertisement in their webs.

Whoever pays more in advertisement is whoever get the good scores. And calling these people journalists is an insult to those that have studied journalism at university...

Derrick01

Banned
As I suspected it seems like it's only good "for a handheld shooter". I already had a hard time justifying a purchase of this since it has a better looking, playing and controlling big brother coming in a couple more months (with better online too). Now it seems like it's just eye candy and fun "for a handheld game".

I think the reason a lot of review sites dont know how to review Vita games or get the whole console gaming on the go thing is because of how they picture handheld gamers.

These are guys that spend a lot of time playing games and have no issues having time to play on a console on a TV etc etc. So to them a portable is for playing when travelling.

In reality there are a lot of people out there who play portables for their portability within the home and the ability to play games without taking up the TV / abandoning your family to go to another room and play games. Its these people that want this sort of game, but they don't understand that and it seems to really effect the reviews.

After all they don't review phone and tablet games this way or even the 3ds really because its never trying to sell the console gaming on the go thing (even though 3ds does that with the likes of mario games).

------------------------------

I actually like the idea of the short campaign that is replayable. In shooters that try to be film like in some regards I actually prefer shorter replayable campaigns. Just like how I rewatch 90-120 min action movies but convincing my self to rewatch LotR's extended editions takes some convincing lol..

For example I loved gears of wars short 5-6 hour campaign and replayed it a ton. Its sequels were a fair bit longer and because of that it would feel more of a slog to replay. But this is a hugely subjective thing.

excellent post

heringer

Some of you guys are funny. You keep proclaiming that the Vita is a console in your hands (power, two analogs, dat screen, etc etc), but then get mad because it's games are evaluated on the same basis of console games?

That said, I'm definitely buying Killzone Mercenary next week. Loved the beta.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I didn't say compare it to console games. I said judge it on Vita standards. 3DS fans aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth. 3DS is a generation behind the Vita. To compare Vita games to 3DS games is being unfair to the 3DS. Obviously it depends on the type of game, but in general retail Vita games just aren't comparable to 3DS. They're a generation ahead because that's what the hardware allows. It's comparable to the difference between Wii and PS360 games.

If you judge a game like Killzone Mercenary compared to what the 3DS is capable of then Killzone is handheld game of the forever. We shouldn't do that. We should judge Killzone compared to other Vita games and what the Vita is capable of in general. Just like if a 3DS shooter comes out we should judge that by 3DS standards, not Vita standards or original DS standards or any other system where the difference in capability of the systems is huge.

Yeah, I agree. What I meant is that IF you are going to compare (which some of these sites are doing) you would have to compare the Vita to another handheld. Having said that, are you suggesting that if a console has a definite lead in graphics, sites should never point out that console (a) looks better than console (b) in terms of graphics? I think there is still an argument to be made for the Vita to be compared to the 3DS but there's definitely no argument to be made for comparing it to a console ... unless you are looking for a reason to mark it down.

More reviews added to the metacritic!

The Digital Fix 9/10
Spectacular visuals, weighty gunplay and a great single player campaign that is complemented perfectly by what we have seen of the multiplayer all combine to provide the triple-A title that the gaming commentariat have been clamouring for.

PocketGamer UK 8/10
Killzone: Mercenary is the best first-person shooter on the Vita, even though that's not saying much. It feels great, looks outstanding, and has a hugely addictive online multiplayer mode.

DarkStation 8/10
Killzone: Mercenary is a more than capable shooter that looks and plays great on the Vita. It’s a shame that the single player campaign is so short and tackling the level challenges will only add so much campaign replayability. The story isn’t all that great but it does offer an interesting, if short lived, twist for the series.

I honestly think most of the review are positive. 8/9 is a good score for Mercenary. Even 7 is not so bad. As for 5.5 or 6, i guess not everyone can be satisfied.

LuchaShaq

Banned

That's a load of horse shit to excuse bad games. If a game is bad its bad, if its crippled by budget, hardware platform, or bugs it doesn't matter. A game that's bad is bad.

Platform doesn't matter, quality does.

true Gek

Honestly I had more fun with the single player of Mercenary than with the one of the last CoD. And the various missions with differents objective give to the game an extra value that not all the FPS have.

Sorral

As I suspected it seems like it's only good "for a handheld shooter". I already had a hard time justifying a purchase of this since it has a better looking, playing and controlling big brother coming in a couple more months (with better online too). Now it seems like it's just eye candy and fun "for a handheld game".

When was this 'for a console'?

Sad thing is that you're serious.

Klotera

One of my concerns with reviews of high profile Vita games is that reviewers tend to put the weight of the entire Vita ecosystem on the game. It, at least partially, becomes a referendum on the system itself. This applies to both high and low scores.

Derrick01

Banned
When was this 'for a console'?

Sad thing is that you're serious.

It's a game trying to be a console quality game on a handheld and, predictably, it fails to match its console counterparts. This tends to happen with Sony's IPs on their handhelds like God of War, Uncharted, Jak and Ratchet.

The thing is I don't want a game that's "good for a handheld" when what they really mean is it's a B tier game in a console series. Because then I just feel like I'm playing a sub par console game.

Yopis

These scores showed the bias Vita gets in full. Shameful to compare to console. 3ds does not have this issue. Put this game on Ios and we would see 10/10 scores everywhere.

elhav

Scoring systems in reviews are stupid. I much prefer reviews that give you their personal pros and cons, without making up an arbitrary number as a score. Mark from Classic game room is a good example.

Game looks pretty fun.

Massa

It's a game trying to be a console quality game on a handheld and, predictably, it fails to match its console counterparts. This tends to happen with Sony's IPs on their handhelds like God of War, Uncharted, Jak and Ratchet.

The thing is I don't want a game that's "good for a handheld" when what they really mean is it's a B tier game in a console series. Because then I just feel like I'm playing a sub par console game.

From what I played of this game it's better than Killzone 3 and most other FPS on PS3. It's insanely good, regardless of platform. Some reviews actually just said "it's on Vita" as a negative, that has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

sajj316

So Nowgamer, are you saying that this game is a slight notch higher than the quality of COD:DeClassified?

Graphics get a 8/10? Are you kidding me? Longevity is scored low despite probably being the most played beta on the Vita?

god of war psp and uncharted vita were good games

Ridley327

So Nowgamer, are you saying that this game is a slight notch higher than the quality of COD:DeClassified?

Graphics get a 8/10? Are you kidding me? Longevity is scored low despite probably being the most played beta on the Vita?

Some real stiff competition on the Vita there. :D

VanWinkle

I just think a game should be judged on the respective platforms merits. If every console game was compared to PC, graphics and controls (in, say, an FPS) would NEVER get a 10, or a 9, or even an 8. But that doesn't happen, because they are judged on the fact they are a console game, not a PC game. Why can't they do that here? It's not the first time a console-style game on Vita gets docked just because its not EXACTLY as good as the console games in every way.

Alric

I prefer reading user reviews. It's nice there is a few right on the first page here. Can't wait to get it.

Sorral

I disagree on GoW and while I don't like UC:GA, a lot of people would disagree as well from the threads that I have read about it.

Messa gave you a good response on the KZ:M/Console thing above, so I won't touch more on that. (I have to head to my class actually). However, the public beta is out which you can check out for free since you mentioned money being a factor (instead of just simply putting that view on all of these games based on these reviews) or read the beta impressions thread. I'm not sure if they closed the beta now though. So why not check it out for yourself at the very least?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Why does it not surprise me that you seem to ignore all the good reviews and focus on the negative aspects? A handheld game is never, ever going to measure up to a current (or next) gen game in graphics, sound, online, or general fidelity so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

VanWinkle

Why does it not surprise me that you seem to ignore all the good reviews and focus on the negative aspects? A handheld game is never, ever going to measure up to a current (or next) gen game in graphics, sound, online, or general fidelity so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

Yup, exactly right. He's just like Totobeni. To him, every review above 7 (the MAJORITY of them) doesn't even exist. It's ridiculous.

jgmo870

Banned
These scores showed the bias Vita gets in full. Shameful to compare to console. 3ds does not have this issue. Put this game on Ios and we would see 10/10 scores everywhere.

It's odd. 3D Land has really narrow areas (compare them w/3D World's), lacks the length of the Galaxy games, and isn't as innovative or as ambitious as them either but I haven't seen any reviewer narrowly focus on those criticisms like some do with Vita games.

Derrick01

Banned

The "good" reviews are from places I've never heard of or at least with Cheatcc haven't read since N'sync was still popular. Besides most of them echo the same thing even if they're not trying to say it in a negative way. It's simply "good for a handheld game".

not_so_special said:
god of war psp and uncharted vita were good games

Sure but they don't match their console brothers in quality which is a problem since they're trying to be the same as their console counterparts but on a handheld.

Top Bottom