• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary Reviews Thread

Guys, ignore the troll!

Anyways, 3 more reviews are up!

LaPS3 9/10
This may be the biggest production in the entire history of portable console games. Impressive technical aspects and a very polished AI, as well as lots of playability and a long playtime, both in single player mode and multiplayer mode.

Modojo 7/10
Killzone Mercenary didn't wow us, but we can live with that. It's a good FPS that showcases the handheld's potential, and while it does little to push the series forward, it'll make a fine portable companion for players with itchy trigger fingers.

Post Arcade 7/10
Impressive as some aspects of the level design and interface might be, Guerrilla hasn’t quite delivered the whole package. This isn’t going to be a massive system seller with wide, mainstream appeal. Still, one can’t discount that Killzone: Mercenary may well be the most playable handheld first-person shooter yet made. That’s no small accomplishment.

OmegaZero

OmegaZero's Guide to Reading Reviews While Staying Sane:

1) Ignore the score at the end.
2) Ignore the score at the end. Seriously.
3) Remember that everything you're reading is just another persons opinion, and treat it as such.

Coming up next: Staying Sane in NeoGAF Review Threads! Can It Be Done?

Honestly, the scores are about what I'd expected for a Vita game/Killzone game. I'm more interested in the more open level/gameplay design (someone mentioned Goldeneye?) and variety of ways to focus your playing style throughout the levels.
Now, if the objectives and encounters changed depending on the difficulty and if this game supported multiplayer with bots, Killzone Mercenary would be a top-contender for my handheld GOTY.

EDIT:
Such an arsehole thing to say because I don't want to buy the game.
Defensive GAF is defensive.

I think the issue here is that you're not doing much to contribute to the thread. Sure, some people may be overreacting but if you're not interested in this game, why bother sticking around?

Foxix Von

Back in my day, I had to wade through 500 pages just to troll!

And it was uphill both ways, a helluva climb. Epeens hadn't even been invented yet, if you wanted to slap a man you had to do it with your bare hands and get real dirty with your words, see?

Fuckin' whippersnappers.

You can't, but you have to keep in mind that you are playing a handheld game. Giving 8/10 for KZM graphics is ridiculous. So is saying that KZM has cramped controls. Why do mobile FPSs get 9+ average scores while being highly inferior to console games? Why can't Vita games be criticized by their own merits?

Although I agree that KZM should clearly get the top marks possible in its field for visuals, regarding those Nova 2 scores most of them are from iOS dedicated sites by the look of it, so they won't consider vastly superior console games as part of the equation. Which is what should have happened with KZM, obviously, but Western reviewers have something of a bias against handheld titles in my opinion.

So I can't prefer a game over another unless they are the same genre and on the same platform?

Of course you can, but what relevance does it have here to mention a completely different game on a competing platform? It's not even from a vaguely similar genre either, so why bring it up?

legacyzero

Banned
Such an arsehole thing to say because I don't want to buy the game.
Defensive GAF is defensive.

Great, and I can climb a set of stairs faster than a kid in a wheel chair. Doesn't really mean much.

ix5wRjgZgBupq.gif

There was a time when trolls actually had some tact

Great, and I can climb a set of stairs faster than a kid in a wheel chair. Doesn't really mean much.

Tact? Nahh...

EDIT: Might as well actually contribute to the thread...I was in the closed beta, PS+ beta, and public beta and the game is a lot of fun. I've seen some complaints in the reviews that I don't agree with (specifically based on screen size) and some other things that seem off (4 hour campaign? Besides that and online, isn't there a 3rd game mode as well). I'm in the US and won't have a copy until Tuesday so, like many of you, I don't really have any credibility to say the reviewers are idiots or wrong in their opinions...but I definitely have a healthy dose of skepticism about some of them...

3) Remember that everything you're reading is just another persons opinion, and treat it as such.

Honestly, the scores are about what I'd expected for a Vita game/Killzone game. I'm more interested in the more open level/gameplay design (someone mentioned Goldeneye?) and variety of ways to focus your playing style throughout the levels.
Now, if the objectives and encounters changed depending on the difficulty and if this game supported multiplayer with bots, Killzone Mercenary would be a top-contender for my handheld GOTY.

EDIT:

I think the issue here is that you're not doing much to contribute to the thread. Sure, some people may be overreacting but if you're not interested in this game, why bother sticking around?

I appreciate your point but I thought the point of a forum was to discuss different opinions. People are welcomed into saying that it looks amazing but I can't say the opposite?

I would love to buy a vita but this game just didn't convince me to purchase one.

Foxix Von

Guys, ignore the troll!

Anyways, 3 more reviews are up!

LaPS3 9/10

Modojo 7/10

Post Arcade 7/10

There was really a brief moment where I considered holding off and waiting for a price drop just because there's a bunch of crap coming out soon that I need to buy. Seeing the crazy range of scores this thing is getting is kind of pushing me forward to just snagging it on day one and making up my own damn mind about the thing, though.

From the beta I thought it played great and it's a hell of a looker to boot.

The fuck? You're an idiot dude, You came into the thread acting like an ass.

Lol

How on earth was my initial comment of ass like behaviour? The first guy to quote it acted like I just took a dump in his sock drawer ffs.

I only used Fire Emblem as an arbitrary example of a game I'd prefer to play. Not as an example of a game that is arguably better.

Apath

I like how Nowgamer gave it an 8/10 for graphics and the popular multiplayer a 5/10. Sounds like the reviewer just kept getting his ass handed to him and made a rage review.
Didn't you know? Only games that reviewers like have the best graphics. In theory, nothing should be keeping a 5/10 game from having 10/10 graphics.

I appreciate your point but I thought the point of a forum was to discuss different opinions. People are welcomed into saying that it looks amazing but I can't say the opposite?

I would love to buy a vita but this game just didn't convince me to purchase one.

Right, so you just jumped in a review thread for a high profile Vita game and started dropping the "I'd rather play a high profile 3DS game" crap.

Negativity begets negativity. If you don't want it thrown your way, don't put it out.

Krakn3Dfx

People who wonder why you're here then.
Crowded_Room.jpg

People who care.
1014664_Seats_chairs_audience_empty.jpg

DrFurbs

GAF should have a review section. I'm sure it would be the number 1 place to goto after some time. Get sponsorship from somewhere else than the gaming industry.

DigitalOp

Banned

I totally agree with bolded. I just can't help it when Im reading the text body and it's still uninformed and factually wrong. This is the biggest thing that destroys reviews. They don't take the time to gather knowledge on the subject or even try to justify their opinion with evidence.

Killzone will do fine regardless. Its one of the few titles that will be unanimously reccommended by Vita owners.

Apath

GAF should have a review section. I'm sure it would be the number 1 place to goto after some time. Get sponsorship from somewhere else than the gaming industry.
I think there was an attempt at something of the sort. There was an "official" review thread where people could post their reviews of games, but I'm not sure what happened to it or how of often people contributed.

Right, so you just jumped in a review thread for a high profile Vita game and started dropping the "I'd rather play a high profile 3DS game" crap.

Negativity begets negativity. If you don't want it thrown your way, don't put it out.

I only said such a thing because people were over reacting to my first comment. I could have said Golden Abyss or Persona 4.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not trying to do anything. The game didn't live up to my expectations so I'm not going to buy a Vita. Get over it?

This is the only thing you said that makes some sense(well if you don't consider all the objectively good things and scores the game has).
Maybe you aren't aware but all your other posts are just trolling.
If i were you i would stop, you won't get anything good keeping posting like this.

2+2=5's addendum:
4)don't expect a vita game to get the same treatment that other consoles' games get...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Although I agree that KZM should clearly get the top marks possible in its field for visuals, regarding those Nova 2 scores most of them are from iOS dedicated sites by the look of it, so they won't consider vastly superior console games as part of the equation. Which is what should have happened with KZM, obviously, but Western reviewers have something of a bias against handheld titles in my opinion.

It also helps that Nova and similar games are well under $10 when released.

OmegaZero

Well, there's a difference between "I'm not buying this game" and "I'm not buying this game because of *this* and *that*". There's not much to discuss if you don't back up your reasoning. What exactly is throwing you off? Mandatory touch controls? The reported campaign length? How would you have liked the developers to address your issues?

I agree that people doing the opposite aren't much better, but obviously they've been looking forward to this game and may be more sensitive to negative opinions that aren't presented in a manner that encourages discussion.

If you don't have anything positive to say, sometimes it can be better to just avoid saying anything at all to keep the thread from becoming derailed.

How on earth was my initial comment of ass like behaviour? The first guy to quote it acted like I just took a dump in his sock drawer ffs.

I only used Fire Emblem as an arbitrary example of a game I'd prefer to play. Not as an example of a game that is arguably better.

But again, what does that really have to do with anything? That's like me going into a TW101, gloating that its review scores were lower than hoped/expected and then saying I'd rather play The Last of Us. It's irrelevant and tantamount to trolling. I'd rather play Gravity Rush or Guacamelee than KZM, but they're not comparable so it would be a pointless comment.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Given the gamut I'm not sure any of them are reliable at this point.

Well, given what I have read, the following quote seems a tad hyperbolic:

This may be the biggest production in the entire history of portable console games. Impressive technical aspects and a very polished AI, as well as lots of playability and a long playtime, both in single player mode and multiplayer mode.

Out of all the 9s and 8s, only two, maybe three of them are Sony fansites. Hell, even OPM UK gave it a 7.

The top three in the OT are Sony fansites...

Aggregate reviews or solicited posters?

It also helps that Nova and similar games are well under $10 when released.

Not sure these review sites are taking price into consideration. This is a $39.99 game, and a lot of t.he language seems to be direct comparisons to console FPS's.

DigitalOp

Banned
OFF TOPIC

...sigh. You're a junior... Here at GAF, you're conduct is inexcusable simply because of that.. You joined on 04-16-2013.. You should know how things work around here

But Im going to help you understand what you did wrong.

Excellent, another reason to not buy a Vita.

Why would a game you have never played be a reason to NOT buy a system? Based on someone ELSE's review in which the thread is currently discussing the validity of...

Horrible entry, Dumb statement

What don't you understand? I would much rather play a good game like Fire Emblem.

You never played this game. Why would this not be a good game because someone says it isnt? Why do you feel the need express that you would rather play Fire Emblem

I'm not trying to do anything. The game didn't live up to my expectations so I'm not going to buy a Vita. Get over it?

Right here, you openly admit you don't even own a Vita. Its one thing to enter a thread and discuss a subject you have interests in, but you came in here and openly attacked it... And you give the impressiont hat you were never interested in the first place

This is purely insensitive. What if I'm in a wheelchair? You don't know anybody on these forums. Watch what you say.

You have alot to learn Junior, May the mods have mercy on you.

But again, what does that really have to do with anything? That's like me going into a TW101, gloating that its review scores were lower than hoped/expected and then saying I'd rather play The Last of Us. It's irrelevant and tantamount to trolling.

I meant for it to come across as a disappointed reaction to it, like: "oh bollocks, was hoping this game would score a bit higher so I would finally cave and buy a Vita". Rather than: "excellent, it's scoring lower than I hoped so that the Vita doesn't do as well". I was definitely not gloating. I sincerely do hope that the people who bought the game actually enjoy it. And Jesus Christ stop labeling me as a troll.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
In the Vita thread I told people that 9 missions is not good enough and the SP will be very short since developers always tend to exaggerate how long it take to beat the game and many of Vita owners in that thread just didn't want to believe that.

but anyway it's nice to see the game does many things right and offer true FPS multiplayers experience on the go, hopefully they'll get better and longer SP in KZM2.

ASFM

Neo Member
Scores are cool and all, I'm just interested in reading their comments about the game, super excited.

Hope lots of people wanna get shot (and shoot me) in the face come the 10th!

eznark

Banned
It is indeed short, probably 3 - 4 hours to complete nine missions. Those who like to run and gun with little interest in collecting intel or exploring the levels will lean closer to 3 hours.

Those who like to explore and wish to make the most of the game and its presented challenges will get a lot more out of the campaign, as not only is there intel to find and acquire (some of which requires stealth interrogations of high ranking enemies, which means you'll need to silently isolate them), but every stage also has three optional challenge modes that present you with a set of completion criteria. For example making your way through stealthily with X weapon while collecting Y intel, or getting X kills with Y weapon and performing several triple kills. The themed challenges spice up the campaign kind of like GoldenEye's extra objectives.

If you're a hit-and-quit style player who won't stick around for replays, the campaign has less value.

I've heard it stated as fact that if you finish the campaign in under 5 hours you were playing on baby mode. Why are you playing on baby mode?

Some evidence that the game was unfairly judged: Playstation Official Magazine UK Killzone score: 70. And the score the publication gave to the travesty that is Resistance Burning Skies? 80.

So pretty but not a great shooter? Sounds like KZ. Pretty much how I feel about the beta. I'll still give the full game a shot.
One thousand better game that any COD game except for COD4 and one thousand times worse reviewed.Thats Killzone in the review world.Only by AI differences any KZ game should have always two points higher scores.

DirtyLarry

Still have my preorder from Amazon. Loved the Beta and was blown away I was having a console experience on my handheld device.
Yes, I absolutely feel it is a console experience, just keep in mind I never said what console.

I think it is very fair to say the Vita is like having a PS2 in the palm of your hands. I still personally think that is super impressive and why I have owned one since Day 1.

Then you get some gems like Rayman Legends, which to me is nearly identical (thanks largely in part to its stylized visuals) to its current console iterations.

So yeah, I was keeping my preorder for Killzone even if it scored 5's across the board just because I played the Beta. And mind you I did not think the Beta was without a decent amount of flaws. It just brings an experience that has yet to be done right on the Vita with some truly impressive visuals to boot.

Hell, I was purchasing it just to say I support this in the future, please do more.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yes, that's the problem and many people look at Metacritic to make their final judgement. At least compare apples to apples for God's sake.

Nowgamer gave Hotline Miami 9/10 for graphics and 8/10 for graphics for this game, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf graphics are as good as KZM

360626.jpg

359696.jpg

363052.jpg

Are you telling me that in any way makes sense?!

Yes because many people such as myself find the kill zone art and character design to be hideous.

Hotline Miami looks much better than any kill zone game console or handheld.

Yes because many people such as myself find the kill zone art and character design to be hideous.

Hotline Miami looks much better than any kill zone game console or handheld.

Subjectively preferring one art style to another is understandable, but objectively no-one in their right mind should argue that KZM is probably the nicest looking and most technically impressive handheld game ever.

Top Bottom