• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

jnOskjwHMvKII.png

Killzone: Mercenary
Developer: Guerrilla Cambridge
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

itXinsPeFcaI9.png

Release dates
Europe – 4th September
Australia – 4th September
UK – 6th September
US & Canada – 10th September

Nine single-player missions, each with three optional objectives and varying play-styles
Online play for 2-8 players
Six maps at launch: Shoreline, Marketplace, Zenith, Refinery, Skyline and Inlet
Game types: Mercenary Warfare (deathmatch), Guerrilla Warfare (team deathmatch) and Warfare (five rounds of rotating objectives)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

j08MmlaspQX3v.png

Characters:
Arran Danner
  • The protagonist. A battle hardened mercenary hired by the ISA to help drive the Helghast invasion back from the planet Vekta.
Damian Ivanov
  • Danner’s friend and long-time colleague. As a Vektan native, Ivanov is outraged at the Helghast invasion of his home planet. Likely to die tragically at some point.
Commander Anders Benoit
  • Leader of the mercenary PMC Phantom Talon Corps, Benoit’s loyalty is to money above all else. Likely to double-cross Danner at some point.
Colonel Viktor Kratek
  • The villain. A fiercely patriotic and merciless Helghan who has won the approval of Visari himself and leads the Helghan forces in the Vektan city of Diortem. Speaks with an English accent, naturally.
Admiral Alex Grey
  • Leader of the ISA forces in Diortem, and the mercs’ contact within the ISA.
Blackjack
  • Shadowy arms dealer who supplies the Phantom Talon Corps with their weapons. His identity is unknown, although some claim he’s never been seen in the same room as Agent 47.

Back story:
October 2357: two months into the Helghast invasion of Vekta, climax of a centuries-old dispute between the two nations. Wrong-footed by the surprise attack, the ISA forces defending Vekta are facing defeat. In desperate need of elite units, they have turned to mercenaries to carry out some of the most vital and dangerous missions.

Among them is Arran Danner, a battle hardened merc working under the command of the private military company Phantom Talon Corp. Danner’s first assignment is to assist in the liberation of war-torn southern Vekta.

Secret Intel passed to the ISA by the Vektan Ambassador on Helghan suggests that the Helghast have an agenda beyond simple conquest. In a succession of daring missions, Danner disrupts these plans and kick-starts the fight back on Vekta.

Two years later and the ISA takes the war to Helghan, determined to finish it once and for all. Having proven themselves in the liberation of Vekta, Phantom Talon’s mercenaries are chosen to spearhead the attack on the Helghast capital, Pyrrhus.

But as the invasion unfolds, a seemingly routine mission to evacuate the Vektan Ambassador and his family from the Embassy leaves Danner in the middle of a power struggle between both sides in the war. He is forced to fight for his life through civilian streets under lockdown, heavily-guarded industrial complexes and secret research facilities, as plans sown on Vekta reach deadly fruition on Helghan.

Uncovering the true motives of both Helghast and ISA, Danner realises that the fate of a single civilian could change the entire course of the war, and both sides will do whatever it takes to get hold of him. The hardened mercenary is forced to question whether the price of victory can sometimes be too high, no matter how big the pay cheque…

ijOXbIGc4InQu.png

Killzone_mercenary_vita_4-600x340.jpg

image_killzone_mercenary-22879-2573_0012.jpg

image_killzone_mercenary-22879-2573_0011.jpg

image_killzone_mercenary-22879-2573_0015.jpg

Killzone_mercenary_vita_9-600x340.jpg

jne7yKar1t7z4.png

itjqVqK0OpBna.gif

i38bGbVktnKc2.gif

iwepaBIgmKovB.gif

iGwX0al4GgQGN.gif

nQkzIOs.gif

cKGeofC.gif

jb13hDAucOK5lE.png

Bronze
Justice Served
Complete mission contract 'Justice For All'

Decoded
Complete mission contract 'Code Of Engagement'

Strike Out
Complete mission contract 'Lightning Strike'

Foreign Policy
Complete mission contract 'Diplomatic Incident'

Delivered
Complete mission contract 'The Package'

Switched Off
Complete mission contract 'Lights Out'

Bridged Sides
Complete mission contract 'Hostile Takeover'

Target Acquired
Complete mission contract 'Blood Money'

Firewall Down
Complete a VAN-Guard hack, making no mistakes

Come In
Visit Blackjack's Armoury during a mission

Deflector
Perform a Brutal Melee counter gesture in Multiplayer

Supply Chain
Collect the contents from 10 VAN-Guard capsules in Multiplayer

Anti-Air
Shoot down 10 enemy VAN-Guard drones in Multiplayer

Noob
Complete a Multiplayer game round

Spangled
Recover after being tranquilised by an enemy in Multiplayer

Well-rounded
Win at least one round of all Multiplayer modes

Heads Up
Get crushed by an incoming VAN-Guard capsule

Redeemer
Rescue an injured teammate in Multiplayer

Get Your Filthy Hands Off
Kill an enemy while they are interrogating a teammate in Multiplayer

Is It Safe?
Interrogate an enemy

Boom Headshot!
Achieve 1000 headshots

Cutting Edge
Brutal Melee 12 enemies consecutively

Marksman
Kill an enemy at long range

Aces High
Attain an ace Valour card ranking

Killing Machine
Achieve a 10 kill streak in Multiplayer

Ghost
Brutal melee an enemy from behind whilst using the Ghost VAN-Guard

Blood Bank
Kill 10,000 enemies

I Want That One
Make a purchase in Blackjack's armoury

Preferred Customer
Buy everything in Blackjack's armoury

Master At Arms
Use every weapon, grenade, armour and VAN-Guard available in Blackjack's armoury

Low Profile
Access the Security Centre without triggering the alarm in 'Justice For All'

Cross Examination
Interrogate the Captain in the Judge's chamber and save his hostage in 'Justice For All'

Man Vs. Machine
Destroy the Helghast Tank without using a D-Charge in 'Justice For All'

Insertion Denied
Kill all troops before they rappel out of a dropship

Collateral Considered
Complete 'The Package' without any civillian casualties

Beachcomber
Destroy all barnacles in 'The Package'

No Way Home
Destroy the Helghast extraction dropship in 'Lights Out'

Freshly Baked
Burn an enemy in the Lab 01 incinerator in 'Blood Money'

Silver
Resolution
Complete all mission contracts

Gone Dark
Complete all Covert contracts

Clean House
Complete all Demolition contracts

Perfect Execution
Complete all Precision contracts

Fully Briefed
Collect all intel items

Centurion
Complete 100 Multiplayer game rounds

Full Deck
Collect a full deck of Valour cards

Millionaire
Earn 1,000,000 Vektan dollars

Gold
Above And Beyond
Complete all mission contracts on Veteran difficulty

Dedicated To The Cause
Complete all Covert, Demolition and Precision contracts

Platinum
PlatinumCollect all trophies

4 Secret

Thanks to all who contributed images and gifs.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think KZM need an FOV slider, playing the beta for few mins gives me a headache.

however while I'm fine -before I use all my panadols- The beta did indeed delivers FPS console experiences on handhelds.

ThisOne

Had a lot of fun with the beta but I'm worried that the spawning and balance issues in multiplayer will never get fixed. Have the devs commented on any changes that they are making as a result of the beta?

Appreciate the less bloated ot, nicely done. Looking forward to this.

Thanks, it's my first OT and I did it from work without much access to decent images or the like. Thought a general overview rather than tons of detail would be better for my first outing.

Can you also resize it?

I don't think so.
But while its looks annoying on screenshots, it really isn't while playing. The only thing that annoyed me were the objective icons shown once a new round starts. Those are some huge ass icons in the middle of the screen. Freaked out a few times when I was in the middle of shooting someone and suddlenly those icons took my sight.
They only appear for 2 or 3 seconds, though. But 2 or 3 secsonds are a lot in a hectic battle.

The_Monk

Thank you for making the OT fellow GAFfer.

I have my Vita since March. My last portable console before this one was a Silver Game Boy Pocket back in the day. From the first day I got this console I'm loving it mostly for the Oled screen to be honest, it's just amazing.

I never got a single physical game. Ever. However after playing the Beta I had to get this game. Some good GAFfers know, that, times are hard in here, however I decided that since I've been a good person let's reward myself just a little bit with something.

With that being said, it's Paid & Pre-ordered! I'm not in the UK but my store is saying that the game is releasing on Friday. I hope they can deliver the game that day, otherwise, I will have the entire weekend without some Killzone...

I believe I won't be getting any Pre-order DLC, at least I don't have any info on the Pre-order page, however I got free-shipping and will be getting a Voucher with 6€ to spend on the next time. Either way, Pre-order DLC would be nice since, well I did pre-order.

Now a question:

Once the game arrives, can I just delete the Beta, or should I upload my files with PS+? I guess it won't matter since we will start from scratch regarding multiplayer right fellow GAFfers? If that's the case I will delete everything just to make more space.

Can anyone confirm if there is Online Pass required or not?

I have Region 1 account but i can get my hands on Region 2 copy, it will also be cheaper than Region 1.

So hype for this game.

Closed beta was pretty awesome. Hopefully the critique we gave will be implemented in this final product.

Top Bottom