• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

-Stranger-

I just finished the first mission of the campaign, i really like it so far.
The visuals are amazing, it's easily the best looking handheld game to date.
I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the first mission took me around 35-40 minutes.
I tried to play multiplayer but i keep getting a network error which is disappointing.
Any ideas how to fix it?

Xater

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and the first mission took me around 35-40 minutes.
I tried to play multiplayer but i keep getting a network error which is disappointing.
Any ideas how to fix it?

For me the network issues started on launch day. Did not have any problems before. Thinking I should maybe add something to my review about that.

I should be able to play this tonight, provided it's arrived. I'll get home, put it into the Vita so I can DL the patch (which will probably take an hour or two), and then should be ready to go by about 10pm when I'm all sorted and ready for an early night.

kriskrosbbk

Any ideas how to fix it?

Never had issues with the beta .Network problems started with the retail copy on Tuesday.I guess we will see more posts regarding this in the coming days :/

I shared this with the KZ game director and this is what he replied.Follow him if you want .

https://twitter.com/dejongemathijs/status/375283752626159617

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here are my (embarrassingly bad) end game stats for normal difficulty and playing each stage once.

2013-09-05-2154535xz5u.jpg

Hanmik

Man, 4 hours?

Its like $45 AUD here. Is there any replay value from what you've seen? Do you feel like going back through?

that timer is wrong.. something is left out.. I played 4 nights in a row for at least 2 hours each night, and I had the same stat.

Spiegel

Man, 4 hours?

Its like $45 AUD here. Is there any replay value from what you've seen? Do you feel like going back through?

People have reported that the time is not total time (i.e. it doesn't count the time if you die)

I usually wouldn’t bother to comment on campaign length, but I know it’s a big sticking point for many FPS fans. According to the end-game clock, my run through Killzone: Mercenary took only 4.5 hours. I kept an eye on the clock, however, and can assure you that my actual playtime was somewhere between seven and eight hours. Everyone’s mileage will vary, obviously, but I found my trip through the campaign to neither run out of gas too quickly, nor overstay its welcome.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Killzone-Mercenary-Review-Vita-Gets-Its-Shooter-58820.html

Seems like a typical FPS campaign length-wise. Longer than many CODs

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man, 4 hours?

I think it warrants replay, yes. For starters, there's intel to collect, which will require a bit of hunting and careful play around high ranking guards (as you need to sneak up and interrogate them to get the intel). But the meat of replay is in the contract alterations. Each of the nine stages has three optional variants: Precision, Covert, and Demolition. Each variant challenges you to make your way through the stage while meeting a set of criteria.

For example, the preview level I played a month or so ago has a covert contract which requires your loadout include the StA-18SE pistol, and:
- Kill 20 enemies with the pistol.
- Backstab 10 enemies.
- Destroy 10 security cameras.
- Stealth to the generator room.

The criteria for Precision/Covert/Demolition have been tailored for each level to encourage more inventive and skill driven play within objective restrictions. If you enjoy the game, they're a good reason to replay levels and test yourself.

G_Berry

Banned
I think it warrants replay, yes. For starters, there's intel to collect, which will require a bit of hunting and careful play around high ranking guards (as you need to sneak up and interrogate them to get the intel). But the meat of replay is in the contract alterations. Each of the nine stages has three optional variants: Precision, Covert, and Demolition. Each variant challenges you to make your way through the stage while meeting a set of criteria.

For example, the preview level I played a month or so ago has a covert contract which requires your loadout include the StA-18SE pistol, and:
- Kill 20 enemies with the pistol.
- Backstab 10 enemies.
- Destroy 10 security cameras.
- Stealth to the generator room.

The criteria for Precision/Covert/Demolition have been tailored for each level to encourage more inventive and skill driven play within objective restrictions. If you enjoy the game, they're a good reason to replay levels and test yourself.
This is what I wanted to hear.

Time to clear out my memory card I guess..

EatChildren

Here's a more specific representation of the contracts: the three variations for the preview level.

2013-09-05-223502ceuam.jpg

2013-09-05-223509xcu6h.jpg

2013-09-05-223519gcugj.jpg

The_Monk

Hello my good fellow GAFfers, finally, my copy arrived:

9T3nBWIl.jpg

Going to cross-post this to the Pick-up thread.

Despite having pre-ordered it, not a single Pre-order DLC for me, that's a shame since it would be nice to have at least one DLC considering I pre-ordered...

Hanmik

Here's a more specific representation of the contracts: the three variations for the preview level.

I see you haven´t gotten all the intel.. hehe.. I have.. just remember if you are going for all intel, you can see whether the intel is gotten from Computers or Generals, by pressing the intel button on the mission screen. BUT one of the intel descriptions is wrong. It says it´s a general that holds the intel, when in fact it´s a computer. That piece of intel almost drove me insane..

EatChildren

Also, if you're good at Killzone and twin stick shooters, you might want to consider playing on hard. I'm pretty average with twin stick shooters and wasn't crazy about Mercs' weird acceleration shaping on aiming speed, but I found normal to be a pretty cruisy difficulty. Many of those 33 deaths were due to dumbassery and during difficulty spikes. Otherwise the encounters are on a much smaller scale to Killzone 2 and 3, the AI less intelligent, and the hitboxes and aim asset generous enough to make it pretty easy to land headshots.

You can bump it up at any time, so if you find the first level or two easy on normal, crank it.

I see you haven´t gotten all the intel.. hehe.. I have.. just remember if you are going for all intel, you can see whether the intel is gotten from Computers or Generals, by pressing the intel button on the mission screen. BUT one of the intel descriptions is wrong. It says it´s a general that holds the intel, when in fact it´s a computer. That piece of intel almost drove me insane..

Cheers. It would drive me nuts too.

nampad

I just want to add once again that the ingame timer doesn't reflect real gaming time for the playthrough.
I watched the clock so I know it. Ingame timer seems not to count much stuff, it was 2 hours less.

sajj316

So jelly of those playing this game now ..

I just want to add once again that the ingame timer doesn't reflect real gaming time for the playthrough.
I watched the clock so I know it. Ingame timer seems not to count much stuff, it was 2 hours less.

So those reviewing the game sayings its a four hour campaign are mistaken?

Balboa

What's with the 1gb patch already? Bought the game on cartridge to save space but that has backfired on me already!

EatChildren

Ehh, I don't really buy the in-game timer being borked, unless it doesn't count the intro cutscenes, maybe death, and dicking around in the shop. The game didn't really feel longer than what I played. Nine stages, and depending on how you play they can easily feel 30 minutes or less. That's going to total 4:30. I could see it going over for slower players on hard seeking out as much intel as possible, less for run-and-gun players on easy.

But if you're only playing the campaign levels once you're doing it wrong anyway :p.

nampad

So jelly of those playing this game now ..

So those reviewing the game sayings its a four hour campaign are mistaken?

I clocked around 5:45 hours in real time on normal. I restarted some levels, died sometimes and the endfight took me a moment. I didn't get much of the optional intel.
In my opinion, I didn't take very long. 4 hours seems very very rushed for the first playthrough.

Overall, I can't deny that the campaign is short. I just think some of these outlets exaggerate a little bit too much. I noticed the difference in the ingame timer right away and didn't think a 'professional journalist' would take it as a given as many games don't count retries etc. but maybe I was wrong. Still, I just guess the exaggerate.

Ehh, I don't really buy the in-game timer being borked, unless it doesn't count the intro cutscenes, maybe death, and dicking around in the shop. The game didn't really feel longer than what I played. Nine stages, and depending on how you play they can easily feel 30 minutes or less. That's going to total 4:30. I could see it going over for slower players on hard seeking out as much intel as possible, less for run-and-gun players on easy.

But if you're only playing the campaign levels once you're doing it wrong anyway :p.

I watched my clock so I know it is. Started playing right after my preload was activated.
I think it doesn't count the cutscenes and retries.

PaulloDEC

What's with the 1gb patch already? Bought the game on cartridge to save space but that has backfired on me already!

I opted to grab a 32GB card when I picked up my boxed copy; was pretty glad I did when I saw that patch!

Having fun with the game so far. The campaign is pretty neat, though there's been some pretty hairy moments on normal difficulty where the enemies will just keep piling into a room on you. There's some bigger guys who soak up a lot of damage too; I'm starting to think I ought to keep a rocket launcher on me at all times.

I'm surprised to say that the multiplayer might actually be my favourite part so far, which is weird for me as usually I'm a campaign-first kinda guy. The maps are nicely designed and fun to run around, and the different modes are all good in their own ways. I really like the five-stage team-based one, the varying mission objectives keep it really engaging throughout.

Hanmik

but look at this picture (from you)

it says finish in 20 minutes. And that is the Precision mission (which is meant to be done fast and precise). If you would do all the missions at that speed, it would mean 3 hours. But that is a Speed run .. you will only do you that if you run and gun..

You could test it easily.. take a screen shot of your time right now. Start a new mission and time it with a stop clock. Make sure you die, and spent some time in the mission. Then take a screenshot again of the Time Played again. then you will see that the time added to the Playtime in the stats menu is not the same as on your stop clock..

I´m at work right now, but can try tonight.. I´m 99% sure the time is not added correctly.

I'm looking at this game as the complete package; a short campaign with some decent replayability and a very solid multiplayer component. I can understand those who aren't into multiplayer being a little concerned but from where I'm sitting this is shaping up to be a fantastic value. By the time all is said and done I wouldn't be surprised if I dump a day or two of time into this one.

Thanks for all the impressions guys, and thanks to you, EatChildren, for the screens and details on the campaign.

Adahn

but look at this picture (from you)

it says finish in 20 minutes. And that is the Precision mission (which is meant to be done fast and precise). If you would do all the missions at that speed, it would mean 3 hours. But that is a Speed run .. you will only do you that if you run and gun..

You could test it easily.. take a screen shot of your time right now. Start a new mission and time it with a stop clock. Make sure you die, and spent some time in the mission. Then take a screenshot again of the Time Played again. then you will see that the time added to the Playtime in the stats menu is not the same as on your stop clock..

I´m at work right now, but can try tonight.. I´m 99% sure the time is not added correctly.

If you watch the clock during the Precision missions then you'll see parts of each level (cutscenes, story bits in the missions etc) where the clock doesn't tick. My belief is that only 'clean' (ie, active play) is counted, and only when you complete a checkpoint (i.e., if you die then the time spent is not counted).

nampad

Just to add some credibility to my claims and before someone says I just suck:
2013-09-05-1529203hb8c.jpg

2013-09-05-154428r4szh.jpg

2013-09-05-15444089scn.jpg

I started at 1:00 AM and finished at 7:20 AM.
I posted some impressions on gaf and did take a pause of ~30 minutes.
This doesn't add up.

Just pre-ordered this on Amazon. I've got Prime so it should be here tomorrow.

I'm mainly buy it to support Vita - I have a horrible habit of buying games and then forgetting to play them.

I also have this weird compulsion to want to play all the other Killzones first. I believe this isn't directly related to the others, but still...

Grisby

I might start out on hard myself. Hopefully there's no Radec waiting for me at the end though.

God, that battle absolutely destroyed my first playthrough in Killzone 2.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Loving this game. The locales have so much cool detail (im spending a lot of time just stopping to admire the scenery and environments) and everything is just so smooth - pulling of head shots like crazy, the gyro aiming is great. Finding it quite challenging, too, but I haven't played FPS in a while. Really impressed.

bLaiSe

I might start out on hard myself. Hopefully there's no Radec waiting for me at the end though.

God, that battle absolutely destroyed my first playthrough in Killzone 2.

Haha, good luck.
The endgame is not as difficult as Radec but it's tough on hard.

bLaiSe

Hrm. :/
Are they sort of close, at least? Or are they clearly less challanging/smart?

They are a little chellanging on hard, I haven't tried other difficulties. They duck next to cover, blind fire and all those thing like on console but they'll come at you.

Any ideas how to fix it?

They're using a huge port range for player connections, which is a lot of the problem. The only way I was able to get around it in the beta was to assign a static IP to my Vita and put it in the DMZ of my router.

This guide might help: http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Setting-up-your-Router-with-Port-Forwarding-as-DMZ-device-to/td-p/1409808

You'll have to put your country/birthdate in before proceeding to the forum.

Top Bottom