• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

Binabik15

That's what I took away from them. They just don't think it doesn't do anything new and that the story is forgettable.

Oh,it is just the first shooter on a portable device that is actually playable (very much so, judging from the beta) and the best graphics on a handheld. No Oscar-worthy writing.

PS: Should've been on consoles, only kids and virgins have handhelds.

-6/10

If the finished game is as good as the beta it should get good word of mouth, at least. I hope that GG Cambridge isn't getting Metacritic based bonus payment, they should be rewarded.

That's what I took away from them. They just don't think it doesn't do anything new and that the story is forgettable.

But surely it's new for the vita? Seems irrational just to give it a low score because its a shooter... Mario's 'just a platformer' but gets great reviews. Killzone is at least pushing the graphical capabilities of the vita

Some reviewers are obviously not giving enough credit that this is on a handheld/mobile platform.

Shouldn't they compare it more to other Vita/3DS (if they even exist)/mobile shooters than to console shooters?

Zolf

"It's fun an looks good but doesn't do anything new" = "I'd totally give this a 9.0 if this was Halo"

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a few criticisms with the way the game has been designed, but I don't understand the "IT'S JUST A SHOOTER" criticism, while Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were well received. Mercs never has the scale of those games (for obvious reasons), but it at least routinely presents stealth as an option. It reminds me a bit of the way the somewhat recent GoldenEye reimagining was structured, levels compartmentalised into zones where you'll either manage to sneak through undetected or trigger an alarm for a firefight. You're at least given a few, if simple, options when making you way through some areas, and most levels have optional paths. Killzone 2 and 3 had none of this at all.

Joystiq's complaints were that multiplayer didn't live up to it's console brothers because of the 8 player limit. And that the game brought nothing new to the genre.

Wtf it's a handheld, they need to stop comparing it to console games! Although, that said, if its good enough to be being compared to console games, maybe that speaks for itself...

Aiii

So not worth it
There are some very low scores in here that I fail to understand, but it's their opinion so it's fine.

Yeah, it has the same problem the other near-Console quality games have in that they are constantly compared to the console counterparts and are marked down for not delivering the exact experience the console version have.

Of course the maps will be smaller, the content will be less and not as many people can do multiplayer together. At 4GB storage on a mobile device on wi-fi only you can't expect the same level of content as full console games, now can you?

I mean, it's a handheld title, it should be judged as a handheld shooter and compared to other handheld shooters. Killzone Mercenary delivers immensely, I haven't yet played the SP, but the MP is fun, precise and has quick rounds that are never boring. The maps are very well done, with plenty of alleys/interior hallways to pop-out of (or hide in).

It's impressive that they managed this on a handheld, but most reviews seem to focus on how it's not impressive, because it's scope isn't as big as Killzone 3 on PS3.

Adahn

Some of the lower review scores do make you wonder whether the reviewer had a huge amount of experience with Vita/handheld specific titles, or just ended up with the commission because the sites saw it as a big handheld game that they should cover and assigned it to the first person that was free. I think someone else has already pointed out that mobile games are often reviewed in the context of their platform, which (arguably) doesn’t always seem to happen with the Vita.

Seriously?

Well, Sony marketed the Vita as a portable Ps3 and now some reviewers compare Vita games directly to Ps3 games.
Graphically Killzone isn't better than modern home console shooters. Gameplay wise its also is just like most other shooters. And multiplayer features only 8 players while most home console shooter can have more.

I have a few problems with this.
1. Why do shooter like CODBLOPS2 get near 90 scores then? Thats also just another shooter.
2. You shouldn't compare handheld games directly to home console games.
3. Killzone actually offers a lot of variety in its missions. There are numerous ways how you can approach each situation and the Black Jack boxes let you adjust your tactics. I actually think that Killzone has better singleplayer gameplay than most other shooters, its just not as cinematic as most Ps3 shooters.

GYNGA

Did they even compare it with the other shooter? That abomination of CoD on the Vita?
Other shooters? Yes. Other Vita shooters? No

"The crowded control scheme, uninspired campaign, and limited multiplayer options are completely outclassed by most home-console shooters. If, however, you’re truly desperate to fill that gaping genre hole in your Vita’s library, you won’t have a totally miserable time here" - EGM (65/100)

What can I say... Sony made a big mistake creating a capable handheld, should have made a shitty one to avoid these stupid comparisons

Xater

I have a few criticisms with the way the game has been designed, but I don't understand the "IT'S JUST A SHOOTER" criticism, while Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were well received. Mercs never has the scale of those games (for obvious reasons), but it at least routinely presents stealth as an option. It reminds me a bit of the way the somewhat recent GoldenEye reimagining was structured, levels compartmentalised into zones where you'll either manage to sneak through undetected or trigger an alarm for a firefight. You're at least given a few, if simple, options when making you way through some areas, and most levels have optional paths. Killzone 2 and 3 had none of this at all.

I actually compared to contracts mode to Goldeneye on the N64. I remember playing the shit out of that Sp because it added new objectives depending on the difficulty level. I think it's pretty genius how they added new objectives to do during the missions, while keeping that separate from the difficulty level. I am already going back to SP missions trying to those contracts to earn me some more moola.

Well, Sony marketed the Vita as a portable Ps3 and now some reviewers compare Vita games directly to Ps3 games.
Graphically Killzone isn't better than modern home console shooters. Gameplay wise its also is just like most other shooters. And multiplayer features only 8 players while most home console shooter can have more.

I have a few problems with this.
1. Why do shooter like CODBLOPS2 get near 90 scores then? Thats also just another shooter.
2. You shouldn't compare handheld games directly to home console games.
3. Killzone actually offers a lot of variety in its missions. There are numerous ways how you can approach each situation and the Black Jack boxes let you adjust your tactics. I actually think that Killzone has better singleplayer gameplay than most other shooters, its just not as cinematic as most Ps3 shooters.

Black Ops 2 certainly did not get scores near 90. The average score is 83, according to Metacritic.

At least its had a lot of positive reviews as well. There are a lot of sites out there who utterly fail to understand why comparing directly with console games is dumb (its not hard to understand why a weaker system with much smaller size limit cant do the same thin as a home console). So its not surprising it has a bunch of low scores.

Glad there seem to be a lot of people not judging it this way though. More positives than negatives so far?

Cant wait for this to unlock on friday (UK here)

I actually compared to contracts mode to Goldeneye on the N64. I remember playing the shit out of that Sp because it added new objectives depending on the difficulty level. I think it's pretty genius how they added new objectives to do during the missions, while keeping that separate from the difficulty level. I am already going back to SP missions trying to those contracts to earn me some more moola.

For some, Goldeneye style of gameplay is outdated and unimpressive. Like it or not, the current gen has been around for a very long time and people have gotten used to the cinematic, squad based combat in modern first person shooters.

No Love

Banned
Other shooters? Yes. Other Vita shooters? No

"The crowded control scheme, uninspired campaign, and limited multiplayer options are completely outclassed by most home-console shooters. If, however, you’re truly desperate to fill that gaping genre hole in your Vita’s library, you won’t have a totally miserable time here" - EGM (65/100)

What can I say... Sony made a big mistake creating a capable handheld, should have made a shitty one to avoid these stupid comparisons

Does anyone even give a fuck what EGM says? Who writes for them now? Some GameFAQs posters?

Ridiculous. Comparing this to home console versions is incredibly stupid and short-sighted. It's a PORTABLE GAME. It's supposed to offer a great, condensed FPS experience for on the go play. It succeeds brilliantly. To me, it's just as good as having Killzone 2 or 3 in your pocket.

I really, really can't see how a reviewer wouldn't understand this. Then again, this IS "gaming journalism", which doesn't have enough half the nuance and depth that say, a film critic would have in being able to recognize how something stands both in its genre and on its own merits.

Xater

For some, Goldeneye style of gameplay is outdated and unimpressive. Like it or not, the current gen has been around for a very long time and people have gotten used to the cinematic, squad based combat in modern first person shooters.

This game is still pretty cinematic if you ask me, it's just happening on a smaller scale. Not everything needs to be epic all the time. That gets boring.

Phii

Banned
It's been a long time since I played a shooter with well leveldesign, fun with the optional to sneak around. Im very impressed by the multiple levelroutes to achive an objective.

No Love

Banned

The great myth of gaming handhelds, and Sony’s in particular, is that what players want most are console experiences condensed to a smaller screen, with fewer inputs. Mercenary feels like its big-screen cousin, it looks fantastic, it has a serviceable multiplayer, and its controls neither feel compromised by Vita’s lack of secondary triggers and clickable sticks nor undermined by crowbarred touch controls. It is, in other words, a competent handheld version of Killzone, and those who bought a Vita on that promise will be amply satisfied.

So basically all of that, and it gets a 6? Uh... OK.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yeah, that's what I like. You're at least given a gameplay incentive to replay missions with a different style.

It's weird, because despite being more common (and I can see why) I find it weirdly regressive and pandering to the laziest design. How people can rave and love Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 when a vast majority of those games consist of "walk forward into awesome explosions", yet dismiss more flexible shooter design, is beyond me. Mercs regresses to that style (and wave-like level design) a little too often than I'd like, but it at least has many areas where you're given a bit more freedom in how you want to approach an encounter.

It's criminal how the GoldenEye/No One Lives Forever style game design was just cast aside.

"The great myth of gaming handhelds, and Sony’s in particular, is that what players want most are console experiences condensed to a smaller screen, with fewer inputs." Edge

This is not a great myth. Many players do want this sort of gaming on the go, and the ones that do not generally play games on their cell-phones and tablets. The problem is that Vita doesn't really have any original AAA games that wouldn't be out of place on PS3.

I can almost guarantee that if Last of Us 2 were developed for vita with a full console budget, you'd see a whole flood of new Vita owners.

Sony has to deliver games like this because the market just hasn't got room for more machines that have $1-5 play now, forget later types of games.

Shengar

LOL at reviews who directly compared its multiplayer to console shooter. Are these sites directly assign people who hardly play handhelds but got the job anyway because they love shooter?

So basically all of that, and it gets a 6? Uh... OK.

They said its good, but handhelds aren't the right plattform for FPS.

"Others will squint, line up their sights on a speck in the middle distance, squeeze the trigger and hope for the popup confirming their aim was true, and wonder if this is really what handheld gaming should be."

Binabik15

I normalky don't care about or comment on reviews, but is fucking maddening what is happening every time a good game that is not 2d or turn based is released on a handheld.

Should be on a console!

Xbox games have more players!

What, no motion capture in level 6?!

I can comment on MP beta only,since I'll have to wait until this afternoon to play the gamd.

I sure as hell don't want 64 player Conquest Large games to play on my Vita. Hell, even on pc the massive player count is too much for me, since most of the time people get stupid in large groups and someone is always trying his best to fuck up the game.

The only time in the beta that had lulls in a round was when the game decided to have us play 4-1 after some guys quit. The shorter rounds and the changing objectives made it easy to say "okay, only ONE more round", the player count fits the map size, which never felt small to me. Oh, and the rivalries. Ionly played a few games with him, but one day I'll find AnObeseMeerkat online and then I'll stick my knife in him, real slow.

I've always liked objective based MP like Rush mode in BC, maybe I'm biased and 16 or 24 players felt like enough, even on the much bigger maps those games had. I can creep around the map for a long as time take an objextive and find it fun, I don't have to shoot every other second.

Feels like this is the last hurrah for big Vita games if it gets no big numbers and it makes me mad.

I really hope the negative reviews and 'not as great as it could be' metascore doesn't discourage the creation of games like this. I bought a vita for games like this, ones which push the boundaries of the system, not games I can play on my phone. I think it looks superb, and the multiplayer played great on the beta. I also think the goldeneye mission style structure is a great idea. Can't wait

They said its good, but handhelds aren't the right plattform for FPS.

"Others will squint, line up their sights on a speck in the middle distance, squeeze the trigger and hope for the popup confirming their aim was true, and wonder if this is really what handheld gaming should be."

Ha, reviews are a funny old thing. For every negative you think you knock down (KZ avoids sub-native res, uninspired multiplayer, bad graphics of previous shooters) they come up with something new to beat you with. Now the genre just isn't suited to the device at all, so it seems like it in Edge's eyes it might be literally impossible to make a great FPS on Vita?

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
"The great myth of gaming handhelds, and Sony’s in particular, is that what players want most are console experiences condensed to a smaller screen, with fewer inputs." Edge

This is not a great myth. Many players do want this sort of gaming on the go, and the ones that do not generally play games on their cell-phones and tablets. The problem is that Vita doesn't really have any original AAA games that wouldn't be out of place on PS3.

I can almost guarantee that if Last of Us 2 were developed for vita with a full console budget, you'd see a whole flood of new Vita owners.

Sony has to deliver games like this because the market just hasn't got room for more machines that have $1-5 play now, forget later types of games.

I totally agree. Love all the indie/smaller titles they've announced but we do also need (in my opinion) three or four big titles a year.

RalchAC

Here's my review - a truly stunning game:

http://greghorrorshow.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/killzone-mercenary-review-vita/

For me it's a job very well done that I thoroughly enjoyed playing.

Good review. Maybe a perfect score is to much (I don't know, i'll have to play first) but is absolutely better than the people that is basically criticizing it because is a handheld game.

The MP (beta at least) was very fun, the game is graphically stunning and they've make a campaign that is not a mindless cinematic bloodfest. With that in mind, I think a 7,5 should be the baseline. The rest should be how well executed everything is.

kriskrosbbk

Does anyone else get the below error during matches ? Quite often actually :/
I dont have any issues with any other game on PS3/Vita .Fibre 94mbits .

2013_09_04_111923.jpg

Interesting variety of reviews.

Gamecentral gave it a 7/10: http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/04/killzone-mercenary-review-twin-stick-shooter-3949237/

They're a harsh review site and a 7/10 is genuinely reflective of a good game. Although they do go into home console comparisons a little too much as well. I think it's only fair to review a game on the merits of its own platform, at it's never going to compete with a big-budget home console release.

No Eurogamer review up yet. Odd.

nampad

I already finished the campaign and spend nearly 10 hours playing the beta.

I have to shake my head at those low review scores and their reasoning, it's typical Vita review tax bullshit.

They compare it to console games instead of reviewing it as a handheld game. But even if you hold it up against that standard, Mercenary is a good game. Surely, it isn't much worse than all those other high profile shooters I play that constantly score high on Metacritic.
But suddenly with Mercenary, they have to be harsh about things like 'doing nothing new', 'typical FPS stuff', 'story isn't complex'.

Some things they criticize may even not be true. To be honest, I did not already try out many different playthroughs but I already saw the variation in possibilities. EatChildrens preview in the beta thread showed how varied the playstyle can be, how is that 'typical FPS stuff' in todays corridor shooter world?

I also don't get the complaints of Joystiq about the MP. First of all, I thought the real MP wasn't playable until yesterday or so?
Secondly, what lag is the reviewer speaking of? I didn't have any lag in 10 hours of beta.

I already finished the campaign and spend nearly 10 hours playing the beta.

I have to shake my head at those low review scores and their reasoning, it's typical Vita review tax bullshit.

They compare it to console games instead of reviewing it as a handheld game. But even if you hold it up against that standard, Mercenary is a good game. Surely, it isn't much worse than all those other high profile shooters I play that constantly score high on Metacritic.
But suddenly with Mercenary, they have to be harsh about things like 'doing nothing new', 'typical FPS stuff', 'story isn't complex'.

Somehow, this may even not be true. To be honest, I did not already try out many different playthroughs but I already saw the variation in possibilities. EatChildrens preview in the beta thread showed how varied the playstyle can be, how is that 'typical FPS stuff' in todays corridor shooter world?

I also don't get the complaints of Joystiq about the MP. First of all, I thought the real MP wasn't playable until yesterday or so?
Secondly, what lag is the reviewer speaking of? I didn't have any lag in 10 hours of beta.

I think FPS is the genre in which there's the most hypocrisy among sites and reviewers over the inclusion of/lack of changes and advancements, as well as double-standards when it comes to multiplayer. Some series can get away with pushing out the same stuff each time around (most notably COD), while others are berated for not moving things forward enough. Halo, COD and Battlefield always get a comprehensive analysis of their multiplayer, while most other series have it brushed over in three or four paragraphs and given a token summary.

SmokyDave

EDGE said:
The great myth of gaming handhelds, and Sony’s in particular, is that what players want most are console experiences condensed to a smaller screen, with fewer inputs.
Actually, that's exactly what I want :(

I have my iPhone for small portable bite sized blasts. I want my dedicated handheld to basically be a self-contained console with a screen attached. Sucks being in a tiny minority and watching market forces kill your niche. Ah well, shit happens.

Top Bottom