• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

That's the best news I've heard in weeks, maybe months. Maybe ever.

Now, please, please, please don't let something happen that makes them patch any of them back in.

Nintendo has been doing this on 3DS/Wii U games for years now I believe (last time warnings were displayed was on DS/Wii upon booting the console and/or a game). It's not a new thing.

but that time when all of the logos and stuff come up is normally when I remove my pants and get comfortable.
Plenty of time.

Now it goes right to the game?

What the fuck about my pants, Guerilla?

That's awesome. Hope it catches on for all games because splash screens suck. I just wanna play the damn game, I don't give two fucks what middleware it uses. lol

I hope every developer does this, I want all games to start as fast as when Yoshida joined his friend when he was streaming the KZ game.

At least you can put next gen consoles in sleep mode, so even if initial loads are somewhat lengthy, you can still get right back on whichever game you were playing. I loooooove that on Vita.

It's not locked 60fps though so I don't know what you should call it. 30+ fps I guess?

I think the multi is 60fps locked. Does that mean there can never be drops? Of course not, but it's locked at 60 and will only drop in extreme situations, like pretty much every other game (at least that's what I understood from the dev comments).

Cragvis

So how long until someone gets a seizure from playing Killzone Shadow Fall and sues Sony because there wasn't an epilepsy warning at the start of the game?

First scene of the game:

Battle raging across a space port dock

bullets can be heard wizzing by followed by a loud explosion.

You awake to a fuzzy light colored screen, screen wobbly, you hear a voice call out to you:

"Soldier! Get on your feet! There is a war to fight!....unless you have epilepsy and are prone to seizures due to excessive colors and light flashing in which case you should consult a doctor and stop playing the game immediately....NOW GET OUT THERE AND TAKE THAT POSITION!! PEW PEW PEW"

antitrop

60 unless the world explodes is 60.

Just want to post it because
NdkgKhTSMe

This is the most I've been impressed by smoke effects since Call of Duty 2.

It's not locked 60fps though so I don't know what you should call it. 30+ fps I guess?

It's 60fps locked but unlike others at least GG telling people that it can drop when a lot happens on screen.
Which is what happens in almost every game on console in MP .

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think the 2:44 is the first install to game time, then every subsequent time is 30 seconds to game.

But he says no installs... its oddly phrased:

But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs, I think it's already a massive improvement over previous generations.

So 2:44 from disc in to play. That seems very long, logos or not. Or do we watch a 2 minute intro video that masks install before we actually control? Uncharted style.

Gaz_RB

Don't splash screens cover up loading screens? And we still have loading screens at the beginning, so I don't see how this makes such a big difference.

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.

COD multi is not locked either. People falsely thinks so. It dips all the time.

Consumers give a shit about splash screens. Only developers and middleware people care.

Awesome, this should be a standard. If not, we should have an option to disable it after the first start, or at least can skip it.

DBT85

I pretty much disagree with everyone here (and the dev) then. I feel splash screens belong and have a place. I hate when there are 30 non skippable ones in one game but they are never too long. I've never changed my mind about playing a game because of a splash screen. I feel that companies and key people should get up front recognition for their work.

Yet at the cinema it's all in the credits, and they've done it that way for decades.

Gaz_RB

Yeah the more I think about it I don't think it's as huge a deal. I never even thought about it until this news.

Yet at the cinema it's all in the credits, and they've done it that way for decades.

Some movies have those company intros at the beginning...

More than even the load times, the ridding of the million unskippable splash screens when booting the game is probably the best thing to happen since it was done the right way in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras.

Beckx

But he says no installs... its oddly phrased:

So 2:44 from disc in to play. That seems very long, logos or not. Or do we watch a 2 minute intro video that masks install before we actually control? Uncharted style.

Yeah, I feel like we're burying the lede here. If this is just install, fine, but if it's really this long every time, that's awful.

Dibbz

They get credit in the credits.

Top Bottom