• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Trilogy announced for PS3, trailer, October release

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
woo hoo, got an answer,

"Killzone HD is running at the same specs as the other two in the trilogy. It runs 30 FPS at 720p native without any frame drops."

No frame drops, I'm happy with that.

I liked the first game a lot. I haven't played a shooter like it since. If they give it the few extra months it deserved on its original release, I might actually be on board with this trilogy pack.

Man

So summary for Killzone 1 HD:

- Can be bought from PS Store separately
- 720p @ 30fps
- Updated controls
- Trophies
- No remote play
- Split screen remains

Alsobestcampaignintrilogybuyityoufools

Carl

Split screen mulitplayer confirmed for KZ1

Is Killzone 1′s split screen multiplayer (with bots) still intact in the HD version?
YES! And I can tell you that if you liked the original, you’ll like this better. The PS3 really does it more justice..

Quick

Banned
Killzone was awesome, though I couldn't really get into Killzone 2 and 3's story. Multiplayer was great, though.

This is a "maybe" for me.

KageMaru

Second post.

Ohh that post makes more sense now lol.

Sorry, most of the gifs and pictures are filtered out at my work, so I don't see them.

If it really is a HD remake, which admittedly it does sound more like now after Loudninja's posts, then I'm even more interested.

Updated controls

Thanks for the updates Loudninja. Hopefully I have a better time with KZ1 now.

KalBalboa

Banned
We’ve updated Killzone 1′s controls to be more in line with the rest of the series and to account for the fact that the SIXAXIS and DualShock 3 are of better quality than the original PlayStation 2 controller.

This is all good news. I want to see a video of it in action if possible to give me a real sense of how much better it is, but I'm pretty much sold.

Quick

Banned
I'm assuming this new series of Collections with great covers are a successor to the older collections with mediocre covers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ohhh...Killzone 1 with a smooth framerate would be an interesting thing indeed. It's not an amazing game, but it was almost unplayable on PS2 so this could be neat.

I thought Killzone one was supposed to be kinda... Bad.

Definitely not a bad game. Criticisms were highlighted due to the unfortunate misstep of a games publication calling it "The Halo Killer." From that point on everything about it was compared directly to Halo on the console which was obviously superior for FPS games.

Killzone definitely had problems which came from the technical limitations of the PS2. It was not designed for a game like that, but Guerrilla still managed to pull off something really unique and interesting for the platform. There's nothing else like it on PS2, and FPS games (the Killzone franchise included) suffer from homogenization this generation, so there's also nothing quite like it on current consoles either.

As I mentioned before, the squad system is very cool. Each of the playable characters can be selected at the start of the mission and each one has their own unique playstyles and starting weapons. It also has some rather open environments which are fun to explore, as opposed to the endless corridor that is Killzone 2 and 3. And the story is much better, utilizing the Helghast as much more than the cartoon villains they became in the sequels. Hakha's an awesome character and his story is probably the best part of the franchise.

Definitely not a perfect game, but it got a really bad rap that it didn't quite deserbe on PS2. If you were willing to put up with a little bit of jank, it was a great experience at the time. Dated by today's standards, but the fact that they're willing to go in and fix a few things like the controls means that hopefully it will be a solid remaster.

SeriousApes

I might get this. I remember liking the original back when it came out. Never finished it, though, nor Killzone 2. I haven't played 3 yet either.

"What the fuck's a Shakespeare?"

KalBalboa

Banned
7937175632_d6db9bb9b0.jpg

It looks like we'll have multiple cases here, or at least more than the usual blu-ray case that the God of War Saga came in. I'm pretty happy about that.

jett

D-Member
SCATTAH GREANDE

I NEED SUPPORT

AUUUURGGHH

good times. Killzone 1 has cleaned up nicely in HD, I also agree that it had by far the best campaign, best story, and best characters. I wouldn't mind playing it again with updated controls and a stable framerate!

SCATTAH GREANDE

I NEED SUPPORT

AUUUURGGHH

good times. Killzone 1 has cleaned up nicely in HD, I also agree that it had by far the best campaign, best story, and best characters. I wouldn't mind playing it again with updated controls and a stable framerate!

looking forward to it! I also need to check out the single player mode in KZ3, I paid $7 for the multiplayer mode and loved it A LOT.

I guess I will buy this collection.

ScOULaris

I really wish that they had done this Collection branding with the gold strip at the top from Day 1 with the God of War Collection. It would be a nice touch if all of my PS3 HD Collections matched up with each other on my shelving unit.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, I REALLLLLY wish they would add KZ3 Move support to all three games. The support in KZ3 was the single best use of motion controls for a shooter in any game to date. It's absolutely sublime. 3D support for all three would be cool too.

KalBalboa

Banned
This will actually be a telling release. Considering how quickly they apparently turned it around, we might see more "proper" HD releases like this where little is changed outside of solodifying the frame rate, adding trophies, and improving resolution. The God of War, Ico, and Jak collections are seemed to take a bit longer to optimize (which I don't mind, considering how strong those all turned out), but this could mean we'll see a few more PS2 classics cleaned up more briskly.

GTAIII and Vice City HD... Believe™.

SCATTAH GREANDE

I NEED SUPPORT

AUUUURGGHH

+1

Haha wow, game looks great in HD. Doesn't look anything like I remember. You could never tell that the geometry was that good on the original hardware (especially that foliage - the swamp and forest levels will finally look and play great).

HardRojo

7937175632_d6db9bb9b0.jpg

It looks like we'll have multiple cases here, or at least more than the usual blu-ray case that the God of War Saga came in. I'm pretty happy about that.

Europe already had some trilogies but they were just the games in their cases bundled together in a single box, I'm pretty sure Killzone Trilogy in NA will be released in the same fashion GoW Saga and Infamous were released.
One case, 2 discs

KalBalboa

Banned
Europe already had some trilogies but they were just the games in their cases bundled together in a single box, I'm pretty sure Killzone Trilogy in NA will be released in the same fashion GoW Saga and Infamous were released.
One case, 2 discs

Well, they already confirmed Killzone HD will be its own Blu Ray, so I'm guessing we'll see three discs here.

Sony did confirmed new collections are coming I wonder whats next?

I think SOCOM is looking more likey now.

Definitely. A Twisted Metal collection is possible too I imagine... Twisted Metal Black HD, Twisted Metal (2012), and Twisted Metal: Head On HD? That's far off though, I imagine.

KalBalboa

Banned
I have God of War 3 and Killzone 2 sitting on my shelf and now want both collections... looks like my friend is getting some hand-me-downs, considering their trade-in values would be garbage.

Top Bottom