• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Trilogy announced for PS3, trailer, October release

PaulLFC

If anyone at Sony/Guerrilla is reading, let me introduce you to this thing called a currency converter. It allows you to work out fair prices for your products. Revolutionary, I know.

US price: $39.99
UK converted price: $39.99 = £25.09 + 20% VAT = £30.11 (not £40.81, in fact nowhere near).
EU converted price: $39.99 = €31.65 + 20%? tax (I actually think tax is lower than this in some countries, but I'm not sure) = €39.64 (not €49.99).

So where do the extra £10/€10 come from?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Its truly perplexing to me when a HD re-release isn't 60fps. Is that a major engine overhaul? I always think of it like new computer hardware and assume that should be relatively simple but I must be wrong.
Your assumption would be wrong. Console games are designed for a very specific platform and some of the techniques used in their creation may not be compatible with certain changes.

Bumping up the framerate to 60 fps could actually break a number of game systems and result in other visual problems. None of us know for sure but it's not unlikely.

Brian Cox's speech is absolutely legendary. I don't think I have ever had a speech in a videogame move me like his does. Also KZ never gets enough recognition for its score. Really great stuff.

Your assumption would be wrong. Console games are designed for a very specific platform and some of the techniques used in their creation may not be compatible with certain changes.

Bumping up the framerate to 60 fps could actually break a number of game systems and result in other visual problems. None of us know for sure but it's not unlikely.

Yeah thats what I assumed. Unfortunate. I wonder if any dev's outside of ND built their engines to scale relatively painless with new hardware.

Finally people will get a chance to understand greatness and importance of the first Killzone.

Thank you for this Guerilla and Sony.

Here I come again my dearest 40 hours campaign on Hard difficulty with Auto Reload set to OFF and HUD OFF.

Will Be Glorious™

We can be friends

Shahed

If anyone at Sony/Guerrilla is reading, let me introduce you to this thing called a currency converter. It allows you to work out fair prices for your products. Revolutionary, I know.

UK converted price: $39.99 = £25.09 + 20% VAT = £30.11 (not £40.81, in fact nowhere near).
EU converted price: $39.99 = €31.65 + 20%? tax (I actually think tax is lower than this in some countries, but I'm not sure) = €39.64 (not €49.99).

That's not just Sony/Guerilla. Happens to a lot of releases in the EU. We just get charged more for some reason. I feel bad for the Aussies, they have it even worse!

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah thats what I assumed. Unfortunate. I wonder if any dev's outside of ND built their engines to scale relatively painless with new hardware.

Are you referring to Naughty Dog? If so, you should really look into the horrors the Jak & Daxter Collection team had to go through.

They actually used the PS2's PSone emulation chip as a sound decoder with the original Jak... things like that make for a pain to port.

Brian Cox's speech is absolutely legendary. I don't think I have ever had a speech in a videogame move me like his does. Also KZ never gets enough recognition for its score. Really great stuff.

ND's engine scale painlessly? you sure about that? I thought ND is the one making a really crazy engine for ps1 and ps2 with their own custom writing language or something which make jak hd collection port a real challenge. ps2 emulator on pc still can't play jak without graphic bug/glitch, and ps3 hd collection are missing something in some cutscenes

Are you referring to Naughty Dog? If so, you should really look into the horrors the Jak & Daxter Collection team had to go through.

They actually used the PS2's PSone emulation chip as a sound decoder with the original Jak... things like that make for a pain to port.

I should say I am only talking about their PS3 work and I am only basing that off of the UC3 video of the game running at 60fps. It would seem to me based on that the engine could scale to 60fps with new hardware but I am probably still being naive.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
They should have added motion controls to 1 & 2 a la Metroid Prime Trilogy. Still, welcomed addition to those who haven't played the series. I will get Killzone HD since I have the other games.

PaulLFC

That's not just Sony/Guerilla. Happens to a lot of releases in the EU. We just get charged more for some reason. I feel bad for the Aussies, they have it even worse!
We do get charged more, but only slightly more, usually. At least here in the UK, anyway. Such as $40 = £35 instead of £30, etc. This is the first time I've actually seen us charged *more* in our local currency than the dollar amount, despite the conversion rate stating that $1 is not £1. It's ridiculous. I can see why a lot of people wait a few weeks until the prices are more reasonable.

onQ123

You know, when something say trilogy it is already implied that there is three. Did they need to clarify that further with saying that their was three full games in the "trilogy" collection?

Yes they did because some people don't even know what trilogy means.

Shahed

We do get charged more, but only slightly more, usually. At least here in the UK, anyway. Such as $40 = £35 instead of £30, etc. This is the first time I've actually seen us charged *more* in our local currency than the dollar amount, despite the conversion rate stating that $1 is not £1. It's ridiculous. I can see why a lot of people wait a few weeks until the prices are more reasonable.

Yeah. That fact that the pound figure is higher than the dollar is the real eye catching thing. Still I've already got Killzone 2+3, so I'll just end up getting the first off PSN

At least in EU you get price drops much faster.

That is useful. Pretty much everything that isn't an EA, Activision or Nintendo game drops in price really fast. As long as you avoid GAME that is

Nizz

FUUUUCK YES

Also awesome that I can just buy KZ!

....still, tempted to sell my copies of 2 and 3 and just get this instead
I'm honestly thinking of doing this myself. The thought of having all three games together in one collection, and now with Killzone 1 HD sounds awesome.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Which is why I buy second hand.

The bundle looks great. Will pick up sometime.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm honestly thinking of doing this myself. The thought of having all three games together in one collection, and now with Killzone 1 HD sounds awesome.

I was thinking of giving my copies of God of War III and Killzone 2 to a friend to make getting these collections a smart proposition.

/XX/

Wow! Now I can play split-screen KILLZONE games again, better yet in high definition! Playing against a friend or my brother, each with a team of bots at our disposal, on the original Beach Head map brings back good memories... man, those pesky bots on hard difficulty had an incredibly perfect accuracy with the grenade launcher of the M82 or the BP-02.

Agreed, and to think that Joris de Man has also collaborated in the music of FuturLab's game Velocity. Quite the difference!

KalBalboa

Banned
This begs the question...

wallpaper_timesplitters_future_perfect_01_1600_6943.jpg

GTA 3 not appearing on the store could only mean one thing. :p

We can only hope ( :',

KAOz

Short bus special
I got last post on one of the earlier pages in case you missed it:

As long as they don't redo all the voicework and cast new voices. Maybe people will be confused when they realize that Hakha and Radec are voiced by the same, kickass, awesome person.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sweet!

Now do I double dip on the retail pack or just get the PSN release?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
KZ1 is so bought the second it goes up on PSN.

I thought KZ1 was shit and didn't like it the first and only time I tried it. I'm willing to give it another chance and see if its better years later.

waypoetic

Banned
Watching that trailer could fool one to think that you're playing as the Helghast. Sadly, that isn't the case..

.. FOR HELGHAN! As one heart, one hand and one soul!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
My main gripe with Killzone 1 was that enemies didn't seem to respond to getting hit by bullets. It made the last level a chore - especially combined with the loading times and non-existent ally AI. If they've fixed those then it'll be absolutely fantastic.

I've not played KZ3 yet and could be doing with a couple of FPS games to play, so this collection is getting bought day one.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll probably end up buying this collection on a sale because I'm not too fond of the series but it does look damn pretty. I hated 1 so I hope it has an easy trophy list so I can breeze through it and never look back.

madmook

Definitely going to buy KZ1 HD on PSN. :D

Loved the combat, the guns, the levels, the atmosphere, and especially the Helghast screams.

Wow! Now I can play split-screen KILLZONE games again, better yet in high definition! Playing against a friend or my brother, each with a team of bots at our disposal, on the original Beach Head map brings back good memories... man, those pesky bots on hard difficulty had an incredibly perfect accuracy with the grenade launcher of the M82 or the BP-02.

Agreed, and to think that Joris de Man has also collaborated in the music of FuturLab's game Velocity. Quite the difference!
Yeah the bots in KZ1 were a lot of fun to play against, glad that's coming back by the sounds of things.

Top Bottom