• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Kinda Funny will be fine without Colin. The people saying they're going to struggle without him are just talking nonsense. If anything, the channel is going to get better because all the screaming alt-right crazies will leave and follow Colin to wherever he goes. Colin literally put in no effort into all of the podcasts for the last 6 months and Colin Was Right was just him ranting yet again about topics we've heard a million times. Kinda Funny will be fine and Colin can finally live out his dream of being a professional troll on Twitter.

Would be insane if they dropped PSILY considering it's numbers and name value, I know this is raw for Greg right now but they have to realise that if one gaming podcast is to be dropped, the Gamescast makes more sense, especially considering they could switch PSILY to a similar format. Goes without saying that I hope it's neither though.

ST2K

Kinda Funny will be fine without Colin. The people saying they're going to struggle without him are just talking nonsense. If anything, the channel is going to get better because all the screaming alt-right crazies will leave and follow Colin to wherever he goes. Colin literally put in no effort into all of the podcasts for the last 6 months and Colin Was Right was just him ranting yet again about topics we've heard a million times. Kinda Funny will be fine and Colin can finally live out his dream of being a professional troll on Twitter.

Obviously Colin's passions have drifted away from games coverage, but Colin and Greg's rapport was the best in the business when they were on point. That is gonna be missed.

It seems like it'll be for the best in the long run, but don't fool yourself into thinking this transition period won't be tough. Greg needs someone to bounce off of that has a ton of games knowledge and experience (and no, Tim isn't on that level yet.)

Get Alexa

She's been at her new job for like... 2 months at this point? Doubt she's gonna ditch them that fast.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Obviously Colin's passions have drifted away from games coverage, but Colin and Greg's rapport was the best in the business when they were on point. That is gonna be missed.

It seems like it'll be for the best in the long run, but don't fool yourself into thinking this transition period won't be tough. Greg needs someone to bounce off of that has a ton of games knowledge and experience (and no, Tim isn't on that level yet.)

She's been at her new job for like... 2 months at this point? Doubt she's gonna ditch them that fast.

Even just more guest appearances would be good

Your outlook and the people that run the show have two totally different outlooks. They recognize at least there will be challenges and I think their proudest project they were apart of on there was Colin is Right because it was an ambitious show. They even admitted there could be a political show on the network just not at the moment. I suggest you listen to today's morning show. That is all.

Eh. Last week's Gamescast proves to me that Greg and Tim work great together. Colin has literally been phoning in his work for a long time at this point, and PSILY had turned into him just ranting about things. Are people going to really miss him ranting about things like the article about Horizon from the Native American who was offended?

The irony is he spent the past two PS ILY shows Harping on a fan mailer who said he was tired of female protagonist in gaming( guy planned on skipping Horizon) Colin felt strongly about it even to announce it would be the topic of the next CWR....sucks

I think you misunderstood (or maybe I did?) what Colin said. I'm pretty sure he said the next CWR would've been about that Native American person complaining about the usage of words such as "brave" and "savage" and cultural misappropriation.

Your outlook and the people that run the show have two totally different outlooks. They recognize at least there will be challenges and I think their proudest project they were apart of on there was Colin is Right because it was an ambitious show. They even admitted there could be a political show on the network just not at the moment. I suggest you listen to today's morning show. That is all.

Of course there are going to be challenges, but the vhannel is going to be fine. The people screaming that it's the end of Kinda Funny are ridiculous. Also I hardly found Colin Was Right "ambitious". It was literally Colin's rambling rants in a separate video, and while Colin likes to call it "actual" journalism, as a journalist myself it was doing the bare minimum to be called journalism.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Regular KoF will be fine. Easier to find a 4th chair for the GoG show.

Harder issue is finding the right voice for KoF Games. It's where they are weakest. They need a strong voice here.

Of course there are going to be challenges, but the vhannel is going to be fine. The people screaming that it's the end of Kinda Funny are ridiculous. Also I hardly found Colin Was Right "ambitious". It was literally Colin's rambling rants in a separate video, and while Colin likes to call it "actual" journalism, as a journalist myself it was doing the bare minimum to be called journalism.
Well that's totally your opinion but they seemed pretty damn proud of it and a direction they wanted to go.

speedomodel

Regular KoF will be fine. Easier to find a 4th chair for the GoG show.

Harder issue is finding the right voice for KoF Games. It's where they are weakest. They need a strong voice here.

Really agree with the bolded part. He brought a nice perspective to the games that will be missed.

I think it's pretty obvious that Vince will end up being hired. Vince was also part of Beyond during the "rotating third chair" era, so they could continue PSILY with him.

Karu

This fucking sucks. Especially the GoG Show was always super lame if Colin wasn't on. That is were it definitely will hurt most. Huge bummer for me.
On the gaming side he was also the strongest voice they had, and while he talked bullshit (vg related) all day long, his knowledge about Playstation and stuff was valuable.
Wish they could have found another way tbh...

Having said that.. another idiot fool who thought Twitter made him a fucking stand up comic or something. Serves him right.

This fucking sucks. Especially the GoG Show was always super lame if Colin wasn't on. That is were it definitely will hurt most. Huge bummer for me.
On the gaming side he was also the strongest voice they had, and while he talked bullshit (vg related) all day long, his knowledge about Playstation and stuff was valuable.
Wish they could have found another way tbh...

Having said that.. another idiot fool who thought Twitter made him a fucking stand up comic or something. Serves him right.

Colin wouldn't even speak during the other guys' topics. The only time he'd speak is when he'd go on 30 minute rants on whatever political topic he brought to the table.

Some early Patreon reaction:
Kinda Funny: They lost about 650+ patron and about $1800+

Kinda Funny Games: They lost about 500+ patrons and about $1250+

So in total about 1150+ patron and about $3050+.

It will be interesting how low the baseline would be and how much at the end of the month they would retain subscription.

I think Kinda Funny will be fine, but I can't help but think Kinda Funny Games will be in some rough shape for awhile. A lot of folks are burned Colin is gone and he was like half of that channel's content.

Man, these subtweeting people celebrating Colin's departure make me sick.

I think the vitriolic hate some of Colin's fanboys are throwing at the rest of the crew about how their company is going to go bust is far worse. The Kinda Funny subreddit is full of this scummy handwringing in anticipation of Greg and co. failing without the Lord and Saviour Colin Moriarty.

Mezoly

I think the vitriolic hate some of Colin's fanboys are throwing at the rest of the crew about how their company is going to go bust is far worse. The Kinda Funny subreddit is full of this scummy handwringing in anticipation of Greg and co. failing without the Lord and Saviour Colin Moriarty.

If people still harass Max Scoville to this day(He tweeted about it today), they won't stop downvoting and harassing for a long long time.

Karu

Finally came home from work and started the Morning Show, but noped the fuck out after a good 30 seconds. Feels too much like an episode of the Twilight Zone or some shit.

Some early Patreon reaction:
Kinda Funny: They lost about 650+ patron and about $1800+

Kinda Funny Games: They lost about 500+ patrons and about $1250+

So in total about 1150+ patron and about $3050+.

It will be interesting how low the baseline would be and how much at the end of the month they would retain subscription.

It's really fucked up, Colin divides the fanbase ahead of leaving a week later, doesn't even attempt to fan the flames of people attacking his friends as it could damage his solo fanbase, leaves Kinda Funny and low and behold people who would normally give them the benefit of the doubt are instead dropping like flies because of how polarizing the situation is.

Anyway, I subbed to their patreon for the first time yesterday, hopefully there are more people like me to offset it somewhat.

So bummed about this news. I paid attention to Beyond because of Greg (Colin wasn't there yet) and I stayed with it and then later paid attention to KF because of Colin. I very much disagreed with his politics but I enjoyed listening to what he had to say none the less. And most of all I loved what he brought to the table for Game Over Greggy shows. He tried to bring discourse to a show that can get middle school lunch table at times ... which don't get me wrong, I enjoy that sometimes too but it was nice to have the diversity of Colin's topics and be challenged at times. Hopefully Colin is happy with whatever he does in the future and Kinda Funny can carry on and grow. I wish everybody the best.

Adam would fit right in. I mean Gaf already hates him lol.

What? How could anybody hate Sessler?

sora87

Get Alexa

Alexa would be great because now Colin is gone there's no one there to talk about JRPGs and stuff. Of course she's just got a new job so won't be leaving that any time soon lol. That's the kinda person they need to bring in though imo.

Alexa would be great because now Colin is gone there's no one there to talk about JRPGs and stuff. Of course she's just got a new job so won't be leaving that any time soon lol. That's the kinda person they need to bring in though imo.

She would be a great pick up, but I think she found her dream job. So that won't likely happen. She works for VRV, the people behind Crunchy Roll. She's surrounded by anime every day.

a916

IGN is a turnstyle that views its editors as completely replaceable at this point. It isn't what it once was.

Vince would be cool. I don't know much about his tastes in games, besides that he's into retro stuff, but they need someone who complements Greg and Tim so they can get a broader perspective on things.

They need an interesting person with opinions. Tim is an amalgamation of memes and pop culture that brings very little to any gaming talk. Vince is very knowledgeable about games and would balance out Greg's taste in games.

Tim needs to broaden his tastes and knowledge because that's a glaring weakspot in where he comes from.

IGN is a turnstyle that views its editors as completely replaceable at this point. It isn't what it once was.

Vince would be cool. I don't know much about his tastes in games, besides that he's into retro stuff, but they need someone who complements Greg and Tim so they can get a broader perspective on things.

He's also way into fighting games, especially Street Fighter. He and Greg doing an Injustice 2 thing would be neat (Vince for the fighting game part and Greg for the DC Comics part).

ghornett

Neo Member
Alexa would be my # 1 pick too. I wish they would make her an offer she couldn't refuse. She would fit in well, and because Colin and her are homies it could be blessed all around.
I remember her bringing wings over to one of the 24 hour stream it was great. She would bring a refreshing vibe to the table. Her episodes with Colin were great. She's the JRPG fan that KF needs. She would be another Nintendo voice for the imminent Nintendo show too.
Time to break up the boys club.

mdubs

Banned
Alexa would be my # 1 pick too. I wish they would make her an offer she couldn't refuse. She would fit in well, and because Colin and her are homies it could be blessed all around.
I remember her bringing wings over to one of the 24 hour stream it was great. She would bring a refreshing vibe to the table. Her episodes with Colin were great. She's the JRPG fan that KF needs. She would be another Nintendo voice for the imminent Nintendo show too.
Time to break up the boys club.

I agree with this. Alexa is a great person, and her analysis is always on point

Top Bottom