• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Alexa would be my # 1 pick too. I wish they would make her an offer she couldn't refuse. She would fit in well, and because Colin and her are homies it could be blessed all around.
I remember her bringing wings over to one of the 24 hour stream it was great. She would bring a refreshing vibe to the table. Her episodes with Colin were great. She's the JRPG fan that KF needs. She would be another Nintendo voice for the imminent Nintendo show too.
Time to break up the boys club.

Alexa is awesome. This needs to happen

Mezoly

Colin with Dave Rubin hinting at some of his old friends abandoning him would just keep the drama going for a long time. It won't stop people from accusing Greg from backstabbing and continue to harass the guys. I wish he could just move on. I mean he said his heart wasn't into it, so this incident doesn't matter.

ST2K

Colin with Dave Rubin hinting at some of his old friends abandoning him would just keep the drama going for a long time. It won't stop people from accusing Greg from backstabbing and continue to harass the guys. I wish he could just move on. I mean he said his heart wasn't into it, so this incident doesn't matter.

Yeah. I think it was pretty clear he wasn't indicating the KF guys and more IGN people, but there's room for interpretation that he left open, so people will believe what they will.

Youtube comment
When Colin cried I cried! 46:08.

"You treated me, like you're my newest friend, and you treated me like you were my oldest friend when people out there I have known forever just abandoned me" :'(

Always respected Colins reviews and guides on video games from IGN and have found his perspective and topics on KF really interesting and thought-provoking. Sending love Colin and thanks Rubin for this.

mdubs

Banned
Just got finished watching the last Gamescast that Colin was in, and damn, that entire gamescast was really emblematic of the worst of him lately; just completely disinterested and negative about things. I hope that he finds himself in a better place mentally soon because he seemed to be happier before when he was on Beyond. It's too bad because you can really see the difference with the Conversation with Colin Was Right stuff (which was excellent) because he was much more engaged, responsive, and open-minded during those conversations.

Mezoly

Just got finished watching the last Gamescast that Colin was in, and damn, that entire gamescast was really emblematic of the worst of him lately; just completely disinterested and negative about things. I hope that he finds himself in a better place mentally soon because he seemed to be happier before when he was on Beyond. It's too bad because you can really see the difference with the Conversation with Colin Was Right stuff (which was excellent) because he was much more engaged, responsive, and open-minded during those conversations.

He was terrible in his last gamescast. Low effort discussion from him all around. Imo I don't think he will be happy for long in politics either. I feel he is just burned out mentally as a media personality. I think he needs a year or longer vacation/sabbatical and if he is still not happy he needs to switch careers.

ST2K

These two things don't add up though, because on today's Rubin interview Colin specifically said he left of his own accord entirely and they never even discussed asking him to leave.

Of course they didn't ask him. They used mind jutsu to make him feel unwelcome so he would resign and they could be the good guys.

Because that's the type of fourth-dimensional chess Greg and Tim play.

Mezoly

These two things don't add up though, because on today's Rubin interview Colin specifically said he left of his own accord entirely and they never even discussed asking him to leave.

They don't add up for most reasonable people, but check the YouTube comments and reddit, his quote "When I was out there drowning you were the first person to offer me your hand. You are newest friend but you acted like my oldest when people I have known for years abandoned me." is being plastered all over the comments and being taken as a shot on Greg even on the Facebook group. I don't think it was about KF but it was vague enough that those people would find it as fuel to this whole backstabbing nonsense.

ST2K

I just hope when Colin comes on GOG in a few weeks they can just clear the air and be specific. The backroom stuff doesn't help anyone.

Karu

Even if there is no bad blood his vagueness/silence on the matter is just fucked, because holy shit. Since my initial disappointment about him leaving slowly faded away, it's hard to say positive stuff about him right now in terms of handling this. I think it's a huge bummer that all of this seems to strain him very much, but I can only excuse so much based on that. A classic You reap what you sow-kinda deal.

And if the reasoning to not tell his followers to back off is "marketing" than triple-fucking-lmao and fuck him to hell and back, because that is the second you sold your soul to the devil. Good luck with that.

Eagerly awaiting his GOG show appearance - hope it happens, because this wishi washi inbetween is super annoying.

Mezoly

On the recent Rubin talk, Colin mentioned that the last 2 weeks of content he was on was "the real him", so take that for what you will.

From what I understood in context, he was saying if he gave two weeks notice and did shows, he would not be himself because of the recent events and he wouldn't be happy and authentic doing them.

Yeah he did not give two shits. Looking at the infinite, playing with the dog...

On the recent Rubin talk, Colin mentioned that the last 2 weeks of content he was on was "the real him", so take that for what you will.

So the real him is sitting petting his dog for over an hour while his "friends" try to carry out a podcast and occasionally speaking to talk about how he knows better than the rest of his peers.
Good to know.

mdubs

Banned
I do really have to say though that the discussions with Jason Schreier and Adam Boyes respectively were extremely fascinating and should not be missed regardless how anyone is feeling about Colin right now.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I want to take a minute to commend Colin Moriarty for sticking to his guns and not apologizing. I've always liked Colin, but it kinda just ended there. He was just one video game personality I enjoyed. I gained an all new respect for him, because he's standing up to a stealth form of bullying very prevalent in today's society, specifically on social media.

People today just love piling on whenever someone does something they morally disagree with. It isn't enough to just scold them or have an intelligent discussion about it and end it there. If someone says something they finally morally or politically incorrect, a large contingent of people want to destroy that individual. Ruin their career, ruin them socially... attack attack attack. I can't stand this mentality. These people masquerade as people standing up for good, but they are no better than your common social media bully. This stuff is mean-spirited, it's wrong, and I'm glad Colin is standing up to these people.

Anyone can be offended by anything they want, but it's not the job of people to live their life not offending the world. You are always going to offend someone, it's impossible not to. I say just be the best person you can. Don't be hateful, don't be mean, don't be a bad person. And if people don't like your sense of humor, then it's their right to be offended, but it's also that person's right to have that sense of humor as well. Colin is completely right that this form of bullying is scary, and it's a form of oppression, that people want to control forms of expression and diversity.

Anyone who he considered a close fiend who would stop talking to him about a joke so innocuous and not hateful, is not a true friend. Everyone reaches at least one point in their lives(some more than one) where we really find out who our true friends are. People who tell it to you straight and don't pump you up every chance you get, but people who level with you and are not afraid to stand by you during tough times. Colin found out who his true friends are in this industry, and judging by his interview, I'm guessing those friends were not as many as he thought. I truly believe great friends are hard to come by. Most people in life are out for their own best interests, and everyone reaches a point in their lives where that is realized. Sometimes it's a culture shock and it hits you hard.

I don't blame Colin at all for heading in a different direction. I'd feel motivated to do the same. I wish him all the best, and I'm glad he's standing up to the bullying, character assassinations against his character.

This is why I don't understand why people are saying Kinda Funny will fail with Colin. For almost a year now Colin has looked and sounded like he'd rather shoot himself then be doing literally anything on camera. He barely spoke on GameOverGreggy, except for when he went on 30 minute, incredibly boring rants, while on Gamescast he would sit there and sulk and only pipe up to offer something completely contrarian. The fact that he boldly and emphatically claimed this week that "Zelda is in now way a 98" despite not being past THE TUTORIAL sums up what's wrong with him.

Even on PS I Love You he had problems. He'd either just repeat the same things ad nauseam ("You're an idiot if you don't want an all digital future literally right now", "There's too many games on PSN"), or he'd find something to rant about e.g. the last episode's unnecessary rant about that Native American piece.

Not to mention he put a combined 5 or so hours into three of the most anticipated games released in the past year (The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 15, Breath of the Wild). Colin carries such extreme bias when going into games, that he has literally no credibility to me anymore, which is sad because he's the reason I discovered and loved Ni no Kuni. People will claim that he can play whatever he wants, but you're useless as a games personality if you carry gigantic bias into playing massive releases, play them for 5 minutes and then act like you're able to definitely state whether the game is good or not.

If that's the real Colin then I would never want to be around that dude. He sits in the corner sulking until he can get on his soapbox about something political and scream about how the left is going insane, while ignoring that the right is equally insane. The fact that he doesn't see that there are extremists on both ends is so dumb, and why nobody should take his political opinions seriously.

I wish Colin the best in his future career as an alt-right political talking head/full time Twitter troll.

Maximo

I want to take a minute to commend Colin Moriarty for sticking to his guns and not apologizing. I've always liked Colin, but it kinda just ended there. He was just one video game personality I enjoyed. I gained an all new respect for him, because he's standing up to a stealth form of bullying very prevalent in today's society, specifically on social media.

People today just love piling on whenever someone does something they morally disagree with. It isn't enough to just scold them or have an intelligent discussion about it and end it there. If someone says something they finally morally or politically incorrect, a large contingent of people want to destroy that individual. Ruin their career, ruin them socially... attack attack attack. I can't stand this mentality. These people masquerade as people standing up for good, but they are no better than your common social media bully. This stuff is mean-spirited, it's wrong, and I'm glad Colin is standing up to these people.

Anyone can be offended by anything they want, but it's not the job of people to live their life not offending the world. You are always going to offend someone, it's impossible not to. I say just be the best person you can. Don't be hateful, don't be mean, don't be a bad person. And if people don't like your sense of humor, then it's their right to be offended, but it's also that person's right to have that sense of humor as well. Colin is completely right that this form of bullying is scary, and it's a form of oppression, that people want to control forms of expression and diversity.

Anyone who he considered a close fiend who would stop talking to him about a joke so innocuous and not hateful, is not a true friend. Everyone reaches at least one point in their lives(some more than one) where we really find out who our true friends are. People who tell it to you straight and don't pump you up every chance you get, but people who level with you and are not afraid to stand by you during tough times. Colin found out who his true friends are in this industry, and judging by his interview, I'm guessing those friends were not as many as he thought. I truly believe great friends are hard to come by. Most people in life are out for their own best interests, and everyone reaches a point in their lives where that is realized. Sometimes it's a culture shock and it hits you hard.

I don't blame Colin at all for heading in a different direction. I'd feel motivated to do the same. I wish him all the best, and I'm glad he's standing up to the bullying, character assassinations against his character.

Edit: Removed post no point in dwelling on the past/ect.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Hes a popular and huge voice in the gaming industry and he used that voice to tweet a old non intelligent *joke* on International Women's Day using the official hashtag, he didn't use that influence to post something encouraging or to even have some small sense of empathy to understand what that day could mean.
Its like going on the street and yelling women deserve to be in the kitchen and then wondering why random people are pissed off at you, your friends may understand its *just a joke* but others don't he could have contained that joke just to his own twitter followers but he decided to use the hashtag the one being used by thousands of people to show support for women.
After many people in the industry both male AND female's bare in mind the gaming industry is both a toxic and a sexist place for women who receive death threats or verbal abuse from many who speak up to things they find problematic, Colin sends another tweet with a tired and old excuse of *Well my girlfriend found it funny* and then follows it up with *Because not all people are humorless sacks of shit*. For someone to say hes a *racist or sexiest* I believe is taking it too far and I agree sometimes people take it too far with name calling/ect but that is a small loud minority of alt left that pales in comparison to those that actually cause danger and harm to others.

All in all I liked Colin Was Right don't agree with alot of it but its interesting to get a different opinion on certain topics nut all in all im glad hes no longer a part of Kinda funny it was obvious he was phoning it in the last few months with conversations being lukewarm with Colin unless the topic was a focus point for him or something hes interested in, at least the others try their hardest when it comes to topics they may find silly or not interesting.
People think they stabbed Colin in the back but it comes across as the opposite for me he was actively hurting a business their livelihoods its not hard to take a step back and realize maybe taking responsibility or even some foresight in realizing that what you say could badly reflect on that business especially when your one of the main faces of it, Kinda Funny has grown one reason due to the connections they have built with developers and people in the industry they have grown close to, those they can have for guests or the opportunities for interviews or be a part of major panels like PSX. When one of the biggest developers in the industry like Naughty Dog/Insomniac tweets that they support women on national women's day with a picture of all the women in the company standing together, and then Colin tweets what he said....yeah some may understand its a joke but it still comes across as a middle finger to some, he was actively hurting those connections and perhaps opportunities for them you don't screw your friends like that, if hes happy doing his own thing great its best for everyone people just need to get over it and move on from Kinda Funny or stay with them, im certainly looking forward to Future Content.

Excuse long rant no more Colin taking for me.

It's Colin's personal twitter account, he can use it for whatever he wants. He has no obligation to do anything just because he's a member of the gaming industry. All he did was expose the ugliness and vindictiveness of social media, if anything.

Maybe Colin's joke was in poor taste(although it is a joke and I was not offended) but what he got back in return was infinitely worse, and that's the point. The punishment did not fit the "crime" because at the absolute worst, it was just a joke in poor taste and even that is debatable. But people wanted to ruin the guy's career. Someone who is a good guy with good ideas and whether you dagree with his ideas or not, he's a bright and eloquent person.

He has every right to tweet out whatever he wants, and that is part of what he was getting at. There are a large contingent of people out there who want to oppress and control what is right and wrong, and that takes away freedom and it's scary. You can live in a society where you disagree with the way someone jokes about something or disagree with someone's thoughts and still treat them with respect. Colin was viciously attacked, and it was far worse than anything he did. Saying he made racists comments is libel, and if I'm Colin I would have pursued a lawsuit against that publication and the writer, because it was total nonsense and those labels can hurt you publicly.

Colin caused no "harm" to anyone. It's an overused word in society today IMO. People may have not liked the joke, but to say he actually caused harm is over-dramatic and I don't buy it for a single second.

The guy has basically become a "martyr" and if he had to make a dumb joke in poor taste for the greater good, I'm actually glad he did, because the publicity this is getting and how the mean and angry mob groups out there are being called out is a plus gain when all of this is over, as far as I'm concerned.

idonteven

lets all agree that the worst thing is the people shit talking tim for months now because he didnt agree with colin on the trump vs hillary stuff

leave the guy alone he didnt do anything wrong to these fanatics

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yeah, Colin looks disinterested in the latest gamescast.

Hopefully what he does next is interesting to him and he enjoys it, because it seems like he's fell out of love with gaming.

RoKKeR

Looks like Colin is announcing something tomorrow morning. He tweeted a logo on Twitter and there is apparently a Patreon page registered as "Colin's Last Stand."

Very interested to see it.

Wedzi

Banned
Here's the Patreon link for those interested.

https://www.patreon.com/colinslaststand/creators

Will be interesting to see how successful this is. Anyone wanna take a guess? If Drew from Giant Bomb can pull in $20,000/month I suspect Colin will do fine as well. I think he'll get around $15,000. Curious to see if he'll syphon off anything from Kinda Funny.

mdubs

Banned
This is why I don't understand why people are saying Kinda Funny will fail with Colin. For almost a year now Colin has looked and sounded like he'd rather shoot himself then be doing literally anything on camera. He barely spoke on GameOverGreggy, except for when he went on 30 minute, incredibly boring rants, while on Gamescast he would sit there and sulk and only pipe up to offer something completely contrarian. The fact that he boldly and emphatically claimed this week that "Zelda is in now way a 98" despite not being past THE TUTORIAL sums up what's wrong with him.

Yeah, this was the worst bit of a longer trend that you identify. I was most frustrated by his repeated "yeah, well guess what I'm not going to get up a game's ass". Which is fine, but the follow up where he admonishes the viewing audience for sticking with games and not dumping them immediately at first temptation was grating, particularly because we actually have to pay for games while he doesn't.

The Zelda nonsense was the worst though. I don't care if he didn't like it, but to play for like 30 minutes and then pass blanket judgments about the quality of the game was just a bridge too far. I think the inital position his argument started from a long time ago ie. "I'm not going to play 10 hours of a game to get to the good part" is completely fair, but he's condensed that time down to an immediate snap judgment which he then uses to critique.

Conversely, my appreciation for Tim has grown quite a bit over the last year or so, so I hope he keeps improving and staying himself.

Vinc

When KF started, I didn't think Tim was particularly great and thought he actually worsened the podcast. I don't know if I changed or if he did, but now I really adore the guy and his perspetive. He's knowledgeable, truly passionate, and his preferences are refreshing and complement Greg's quite well. I think PSILY could continue with a rotation between the remaining crew and the occasional guest to accompany Greg. As for Colin, I wish him well but I need some time off before deciding if his new content is worth my time.

Here's the Patreon link for those interested.

https://www.patreon.com/colinslaststand/creators

Will be interesting to see how successful this is. Anyone wanna take a guess? If Drew from Giant Bomb can pull in $20,000/month I suspect Colin will do fine as well. I think he'll get around $15,000. Curious to see if he'll syphon off anything from Kinda Funny.

I think he'll break records. There's certain groups ready to jump on this and use him as their flag bearer.

I think you guys are overestimating how many people actually give a shit about Colin Moriarty and are willing to give him money, even if he has the alt-right, gamer gate crowd on his side. Once everyone realises he's NEVER talking about video games again I'd wager that he'll lose a massive amount of fans. I'm willing to be proven wrong though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It'll be nice when Colin's moved on, the fans have moved on, and KoF can move on.

Right now we are stuck in limbo, Colin's still got 1 more GoG show, his fans are still down voting every video, and it feels like we haven't moved on yet to a post Colin world.

This is irrespective of what happened over the last month or so. Just ready to move on and let shit happen as it may without all of the recent baggage.

It'll be nice when Colin's moved on, the fans have moved on, and KoF can move on.

Right now we are stuck in limbo, Colin's still got 1 more GoG show, his fans are still down voting every video, and it feels like we haven't moved on yet to a post Colin world.

This is irrespective of what happened over the last month or so. Just ready to move on and let shit happen as it may without all of the recent baggage.

Do you know what kind of crowd his fanbase is?

These people will never move on. They feed on hate and negativity

Top Bottom