• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

br3wnor

$2,600 now. Give the guy credit, he's got a following. Will def check out the videos to see what they're like. Will be interesting to see how alt right his following is and if he endulges them by following their viewpoint of history. If they're his hardcore support, they probably won't let him get away with not being crazy political for too long, interesting to see how he deals w/ it.

**$3,200 now, lol wow

Vinc

Bit of a rough first impression. This seems like a very vague concept, and the lack of actual video to launch and give an idea of what the product will be like doesn't help. The intro video itself is not technically sound either, so I hope he manages to get higher production values if he pulls off the 10,000. Interested to find out more on April 3rd and will definitely check out the video.

RoKKeR

Bit of a rough first impression. This seems like a very vague concept, and the lack of actual video to launch and give an idea of what the product will be like doesn't help. The intro video itself is not technically sound either, so I hope he manages to get higher production values if he pulls off the 10,000. Interested to find out more on April 3rd and will definitely check out the video.

Yeah, pretty clear this was rushed out. Would have been nice to have a polished pilot, but he obviously has the following to get some cash flowing in order to scale up and what not.

Will definitely be checking this out.

Volotaire

I wonder, to what extent, the history videos will be backed by historical research articles and journals. I think there is a good space for mainstream/pop videos backed by a body of historiographical content and academic research. From the introduction video, one of its focuses seems to be on communicating historical subjects and stories to a non historically educated audience, so that may be a stretch.

Also, I don't have much of an idea about Colin's personal historical interests since I only engaged with Kinda Funny Games infrequently. I wonder if it will just cover American and political history or be more broad.

Dominator

This Patreon is skyrocketing. Holy shit, wasn't expecting it to happen that fast. Just supported as I always wants a political/history show from him as I find he is knowledgeable and I like to hear his opinions on things.

styl3s

Good to see him find success i just backed it because even if i dont agree with him all the time i enjoy his discussions on politics and history. Ill be shocked if it doesn't hit 20k

RoKKeR

I have to say, I appreciate the tone that he is seemingly trying to achieve with this series. It doesn't (at least initially) look to be a platform for grandstanding or heavily opinionated rants, (sup Twitter) but rather an avenue for discussing historical and political topics in an intelligent and insightful way. I was a little wary that the tone would be ultra-combative after the last week or so, but it looks like he is trying to move on from that to focus on the things he's passionate about.

I'm sure he'll still pop on Twitter, though. Lol

Already at 10k? Jesus.

Vinc

I have to say, I appreciate the tone that he is seemingly trying to achieve with this series. It doesn't (at least initially) look to be a platform for grandstanding or heavily opinionated rants, (sup Twitter) but rather an avenue for discussing historical and political topics in an intelligent and insightful way. I was a little wary that the tone would be ultra-combative after the last week or so, but it looks like he is trying to move on from that to focus on the things he's passionate about.

Already at 10k? Jesus.

Yeah, as someone who didn't like his tweet and his occasionally dismissive / condescending attitude, I really do like the content he produces with a cooler head. The Conversation with CWR episodes were great, for example. If this makes him really happy, as it seems to, I think there's a good chance he'll be more positive and remain open-minded, which should mean the content will be better. I wish him the very best and will definitely check out the show. I'll miss his gaming opinions, but I'm sure he'll tackle the subject when it's relevant. I'm very happy to see him be happy.

Already at 10k? Jesus.

Agreed. The name had me worried but watching the video it seems much more positive and constructive in nature than I feared.

Interested to see where it goes. I liked the pitch, though the video was clearly a bit rushed.

"I really do feel like a lot of people out there simply weren't taught history properly" says the guy who draws a blank whenever asked about non-US history.

I'm a liberal but am very interested in Colin's project. I enjoy Colin's ability to explain the conservative view without being inflammatory or some weird conspiracy nut.

Banned

Already at 10k? Jesus.
You rang?

Mezoly

Sad to see the move news, but it was expected. Colin always said he wanted to move but the other guys wanted to stay. Wise decision as well, SF is insanely expensive and not necessary for what they are trying to do.

I bet Colin moves back to the Northeast, but damn poor Greg. They've lived together for years upon years. I feel like Colin was getting tired of San Fran though.

I see that OT thread has devolved into Colin being "alt-right" again... I don't get it.
That's PoliGaf for you. If you aren't far left, you are alt-right. (I know not everyone on Gaf thinks this way.)

Mezoly

I see that OT thread has devolved into Colin being "alt-right" again... I don't get it.

I was happy that Colin left KF because of his fans and other issues, but I can't say that I'm not a little bit gleeful to see the same people who spent weeks on Gaf character assassinate Colin and celebrating his resignation from KF be shocked about how much more money he is going to be making.

ghornett

Neo Member
The bright side to last week was "I'll see you at home". I know their lives have no bearing on me what so ever, but I liked watching the odd couple from a distance. I guess this was probably always the end game but I'm gonna miss the golden age of KF. It's still real to me dammit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In the FAQ it now says Colin will be leaving San Francisco. No video game content on the videos, studio incoming, etc.

Not surprised.

Going beyond the recent storm and back to his sorta checking out on KoF for the last year he seemed to long to be back in the North East. He seemed kinda over living in San Fran.

RoKKeR

That's PoliGaf for you. If you aren't far left, you are alt-right. (I know not everyone on Gaf thinks this way.)

I was happy that Colin left KF because of his fans and other issues, but I can't say that I'm not a little bit gleeful to see the same people who spent weeks on Gaf character assassinate Colin and celebrating his resignation from KF be shocked about how much more money he is going to be making.

I totally understand people vehemently disagreeing with his politics, not liking his persona and attitude, and even giving him shit for his sometimes-hypocritical posturing... but "alt-right"? I don't see it in the slightest. Now, has he attracted some "deplorables" with the drama in recent weeks? It would seem so, and though they appear to be a highly vocal minority, it is somewhat concerning.

I am a bit surprised at how much it's being supported. I'm sure it'll level off, but I hope it spurs him to be more ambitious with production and what not.

Also maybe he can use some of that Patreon $$$ (20k???) to hire a decent graphics designer.

Mezoly

Yeah, he surpassed the KFG Patreon.

Yeah it seems the KF combined Patreons took a $3k hit so far today. I think his "no bullshit sponsorship" description in his Patreon hit a nerve that resonated with some people who hated that. Well played by him not sure how the KF guys will feel about it. Also could we put it to rest about the no bad blood now?

Top Bottom