• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You're allowed to have political views. Colin expressed his on a regular basis on the podcasts. It's when you start slandering groups of people is where you deserve consequences--especially as a personality.

It seems that people thought that since Trump got elected that it was game on for hate speech as long as you can say 'what's the big deal? it was a joke" It's a relief to know that they are proven wrong time and time again.
Not really sure why you quoted my post

chekhonte

What show was Colin recording for? The morning show I presume? I'm very interested to hear what he and the gang have to say.

N° 2048

Wait - wtf .. you have the same creepy guy in your avatar too?
tumblr_o15ktbqo2g1spb0xzo3_400.gif

Is Andy meant to be in front of the camera or a behind the scenes kind of thing.

He's being hired as an editor.

That's a common term in journalism but since KF is all video/audio based I imagine it entails things like:

-Cutting, assembling, and possibly recording footage (though I think Kevin will still probably handle a lot of that)
-Uploading and posting content

Basically it means the current guys don't have to spend as much time on that stuff and can just focus on preparing and playing games while someone else sorts out the production side.

So while the job is definitely a behind the scenes one I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in parts like KevDog does. At least I hope he does

Just got caught up on about two months worth of GoGs and I'm a little worried about the future in light of the past three episodes (with guests / no Colin) being very weak. I'll stay cautiously optimistic however.

chekhonte

Just got caught up on about two months worth of GoGs and I'm a little worried about the future in light of the past three episodes (with guests / no Colin) being very weak. I'll stay cautiously optimistic however.

They need a good straight man for Greg's goofiness. I'm sure there's a person that can fit the bill given all their contacts in the industry.

ST2K

I enjoyed the Sisqo and Stu episodes. KFG is struggling a bit more, though not as much as I thought since they all seem to be visibly trying harder there.

sora87

Watched it.

Clears pretty much everything up, hopefully it provides closure to everyone who wants it and I hope the angry Youtube commenters can move on to something else now.

Colin fans will never let this go, even if Colin himself comes out and says they didn't "stab him in the back"

There's still some sort of disconnect here. That 100+ page thread of people calling Colin sexist/racist/whatever happened, but on this GOG show they're all saying of course Colin is none of those things. So do all the people from that thread not follow KF, or are they just ignoring KF's opinions?

Edit: Also the KF guys' defense RE: not defending Colin in public immediately after are all pretty weak. Some variant of "I thought it was obvious that people getting upset about the tweet are wrong" or "It was so negative whatever I would have said would have made it worse." Bystander effect. Eh.

There's still some sort of disconnect here. That 100+ page thread of people calling Colin sexist/racist/whatever happened, but on this GOG show they're all saying of course Colin is none of those things. So do all the people from that thread not follow KF, or are they just ignoring KF's opinions?

Edit: Also the KF guys' defense RE: not defending Colin in public immediately after are all pretty weak. Some variant of "I thought it was obvious that people getting upset about the tweet are wrong" or "It was so negative whatever I would have said would have made it worse." Bystander effect. Eh.

I agree with respect to Tim and Nicks defense, weak indeed. I think the entire group, Colin included, just had no idea what the hell to do with the fallout and handled it poorly. As they mentioned the timing of it with travel and PAX just exacerbated the thing. No one is without blame for how things went down but obviously Colin is the one who chose to tweet that and eventually quit so I think I side more with the guys when deciding who I feel worse for. That said Colin makes it extremely clear in this episode that they were already on wildly different paths so I would hope this stamps out the whole 'Greg fired/forced him out' garbage.

As for the people in that thread, I don't think they follow KF because I don't know how you could pay attention to Colin for this long and think he is any of those things.

I absolutely hate the attitude he's taken lately and his approach to 'free speech' or PC culture or whatever you wanna call professional trolling. But I feel I know him well enough after watching and listening to hundreds of hours of his opinions that he is definitely not racist or an opressor of women. I just think he makes really dumb comments and stances and for people who don't really know him that's all they have to go on. I honestly don't blame them when he's following guys like Jon Tron and quasi defending Palmer from 'mean articles'

Vinc

I still don't get how anybody gains from this situation, other than maybe Colin making more money because some highly emotional people are pledging to his Patreon as a "fuck you" to KF or something.

But what if Colin started a "Kinda Political" Patreon separate from the other ones, and remained on PS I Love You and, perhaps, moved his CWR show to the Kinda Political channel?

Now his production values are going to be worse, we lose the varied perspectives on the current podcasts and Colin bouncing ideas off other people. I don't know. I feel like their opinion differences was actually their greatest strength. Maybe Colin would be happier working with people who always agree with him, I'm sure it would be less exhausting, but I just don't buy it when they say it's better for both parties. I do not see the net positive on the audience side. Huge disconnect there.

Edit: As for Tim and Nick's defense, I agree with them and see where they're coming from. Personally, as someone who's enjoyed Colin's content a LOT over the years, I thought he was just being confrontational with that tweet. I honestly didn't ever even think it was a legitimate joke. I thought it was political commentary, basically. So I thought the reaction was what he wanted... and I also thought the majority of people who responded to the joke negatively were criticizing him being confrontational, not actually calling him a sexist. A lot of people said he made a sexist joke, which he did, but I didn't see that many of his current or former colleagues calling him a bigot or sexist in himself? I saw a lot of people condemning his confrontational tone, and I don't disagree with that either. I'm a fan of Colin, and feel like he's at his best and most poignant when he's being reasonable and fair, rather than confrontational.

When he says hyperbolic things or takes a confrontational tone, it's compelling to watch, but it muddles his points, imo. I assume that's what the other guys thought as well, and that they didn't see that he needed defense. It's sad that Colin actually felt helpless and like he needed someone to stand up for him. A lot of people misread him there, including myself and, seemingly, the KF guys.

I'm sad, because I'll probably continue to watch KF and Colin's show for a bit to give them a chance, but I haven't been enjoying KF since, and I can't imagine liking CLS nearly as much either. Lose-lose. Maybe I'm the minority, and both sides will grow tremendously now, but it seems very obviously wrong and disingenuous a statement, to me.

Watched the GOG with Colin. I'm really gonna miss him talk about Mega Man and Castlevania. However, I'm excited to see his CLS content. We'll see how much longer I'll stick around with KF, though. I love the guys but not having Colin around is a huge bummer. Maybe they'll get their groove back and everything will be okay? I'll wait and find out.

mdubs

Banned
I agree with respect to Tim and Nicks defense, weak indeed. I think the entire group, Colin included, just had no idea what the hell to do with the fallout and handled it poorly. As they mentioned the timing of it with travel and PAX just exacerbated the thing. No one is without blame for how things went down but obviously Colin is the one who chose to tweet that and eventually quit so I think I side more with the guys when deciding who I feel worse for. That said Colin makes it extremely clear in this episode that they were already on wildly different paths so I would hope this stamps out the whole 'Greg fired/forced him out' garbage.

As for the people in that thread, I don't think they follow KF because I don't know how you could pay attention to Colin for this long and think he is any of those things.

I absolutely hate the attitude he's taken lately and his approach to 'free speech' or PC culture or whatever you wanna call professional trolling. But I feel I know him well enough after watching and listening to hundreds of hours of his opinions that he is definitely not racist or an opressor of women. I just think he makes really dumb comments and stances and for people who don't really know him that's all they have to go on. I honestly don't blame them when he's following guys like Jon Tron and quasi defending Palmer from 'mean articles'

I haven't watched the episode yet, but this is a good post that I agree with.

It blows my mind that there are literally posters who spent over 100 posts in the other thread. He's become a bit of an avatar I think for people to take out their frustration on by painting him as the literal devil of gaming media, but people watching know that he's not that.

Vinc

Colin really, truly believes people are/were coming after him for his ideology and for his character because of what he stands for and believes. Sure, some people were, but even looking at the responses to the tweet now, it really only looks like they're coming after him for his tone. It's probably even likely that he only meant for it to be a joke, but it felt like an attack on the movement. He's been confrontational about politics and calling people idiots for protesting, then posts that joke on Women's Day, which made people think he was attacking the movement and positive tweets THEY were making, kind of rolling his eyes at them. In fact, maybe he only meant it as a joke, but I think it's unfair to say they saw it as an opportunity to bring him down. I'm sure a tiny minority of people did do exactly that, but those people don't really know him and aren't really interested in him beyond surface level.

The thing is that it's hard to understand tone shifts on twitter. When your tweets are mostly about attacking others in TONE, people won't see a shift. What I don't understand is that Colin can be really great at controlling his tone on some shows, such as his Conversation with Colin was Right series. He started his conversation with Adam Boyes with "he's probably going to kick my ass in this debate", it immediately shows that he's open-minded and respectful of his ideological opponent. When he says people who are protesting a thing are complete idiots (even if he could hold his own in a debate), then makes a joke about women's day, it feels, by extension, like he's calling people making positive tweets on that day, idiots. That's why a lot of people attacked him and didn't attack Nick Robinson. Not only is Nick Robinson not as confrontational but his tone, from skimming his twitter, is nearly always jokey.

I think Colin is deeply mistaken if he truly thinks the vast majority of the gaming industry is up its own ass to the point of wanting to attack him solely because of what he believes. It was because of his own actions, which I actually don't believe were intentional, but it really is just a deep, deep misunderstanding.

At the end of the day, I feel like Colin is really helped by the video format, because it's easier to get full context. But he's also MUCH better at controlling his tone when in the presence of other people, which is what worries me about his CLS series.

Colin really, truly believes people are/were coming after him for his ideology and for his character because of what he stands for and believes. Sure, some people were, but even looking at the responses to the tweet now, it really only looks like they're coming after him for his tone. It's probably even likely that he only meant for it to be a joke, but it felt like an attack on the movement. He's been confrontational about politics and calling people idiots for protesting, then posts that joke on Women's Day, which made people think he was attacking the movement and positive tweets THEY were making, kind of rolling his eyes at them. In fact, maybe he only meant it as a joke, but I think it's unfair to say they saw it as an opportunity to bring him down. I'm sure a tiny minority of people did do exactly that, but those people don't really know him and aren't really interested in him beyond surface level.

The thing is that it's hard to understand tone shifts on twitter. When your tweets are mostly about attacking others in TONE, people won't see a shift. What I don't understand is that Colin can be really great at controlling his tone on some shows, such as his Conversation with Colin was Right series. He started his conversation with Adam Boyes with "he's probably going to kick my ass in this debate", it immediately shows that he's open-minded and respectful of his ideological opponent. When he says people who are protesting a thing are complete idiots (even if he could hold his own in a debate), then makes a joke about women's day, it feels, by extension, like he's calling people making positive tweets on that day, idiots. That's why a lot of people attacked him and didn't attack Nick Robinson. Not only is Nick Robinson not as confrontational but his tone, from skimming his twitter, is nearly always jokey.

I think Colin is deeply mistaken if he truly thinks the vast majority of the gaming industry is up its own ass to the point of wanting to attack him solely because of what he believes. It was because of his own actions, which I actually don't believe were intentional, but it really is just a deep, deep misunderstanding.

At the end of the day, I feel like Colin is really helped by the video format, because it's easier to get full context. But he's also MUCH better at controlling his tone when in the presence of other people, which is what worries me about his CLS series.
I think this sums it up perfectly.

chekhonte

Why is nobody talking about friday's GoG? Did it not hit or something? I'm not a patreon supporter so I haven't heard it.

Why is nobody talking about friday's GoG? Did it not hit or something? I'm not a patreon supporter so I haven't heard it.

You'll have to wait for next week when it's broken out into episodes for Monday-Thursday. Or wait until Friday for when the episode as one video is available to everyone. Or pay $5 for the early episode (audio) or $10 for the early episode (video). I always just do the breakout videos.

ah got it. I wrongly assumed that there'd be more patreon subscribers here. I'm just very curious about what Colin has to say.

There's some impressions of the episode to read. If you want to see more, maybe check out the official forums at https://www.kindafunnyforums.com.

ST2K

I thought the episode pretty well buried any sources of further controversy, but it's the internet so people will find things to hate.

The thing that stood out to me was that Colin seemed to be the sole person in the group that wanted KF to stay smaller and games-focused, as the others seemed to want to chase Rooster Teeth. Him going might be bad for the direction of the company, though he noted he was always overruled so it's debatable how much of a mitigation effect he had.

Does Tim folow Playstation pretty closely? I wonder if he'd be interested in joining PSILY, or if they'd maybe just bring in guests like they do on the gamescast.

I really hope they dont drop it.

Maximo

Does Tim folow Playstation pretty closely? I wonder if he'd be interested in joining PSILY, or if they'd maybe just bring in guests like they do on the gamescast.

I really hope they dont drop it.

Gamecast and PSILY with TIm? It would be too much honestly if they do bring it back perhaps with a new member who knows his/her shit.

_Isaac

I thought the episode pretty well buried any sources of further controversy, but it's the internet so people will find things to hate.

The thing that stood out to me was that Colin seemed to be the sole person in the group that wanted KF to stay smaller and games-focused, as the others seemed to want to chase Rooster Teeth. Him going might be bad for the direction of the company, though he noted he was always overruled so it's debatable how much of a mitigation effect he had.

What gave you that impression? I mean he frequently goes through phases where he doesn't play anything. The KF Morning Show used to be called Colin and Greg Live. Now that he's left he's focusing on history and politics and not gaming. I am sure he didn't mind having KF dip its toe outside gaming.

ST2K

What gave you that impression? I mean he frequently goes through phases where he doesn't play anything. The KF Morning Show used to be called Colin and Greg Live. Now that he's left he's focusing on history and politics and not gaming. I am sure he didn't mind having KF dip its toe outside gaming.

He explicitly brings up the conflict over direction in the show and that he didn't want them to go big and chase Rooster Teeth.

Top Bottom