• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Was hoping someone would post a thread to talk about it but the first episode is kinda... whatever? It read like something a non-honors college student could write the day before the essay was due, loaded with metaphors like "lalala was a powder keg about to blow" that professors wouldn't accept lol. Moderately interesting, I suppose, but the "heavy" research doesn't seem evident to me.

Yeah I was expecting to be let down from the production but not the research. That wasn't great. Well it's his first one though, he can only get better.

mdubs

Banned
I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. I'm not expecting him to read me a research paper but instead talk a little bit about an interesting topic like that to give me the general gist of it.

Toli08

I think I am going to enjoy Colins last stand. Not being American but enjoying all kinds of history this will be right down my road. Excited to see where he goes with it all.

I only got a few minutes in, it seemed alright but I felt like he was speaking excessively fast. Maybe I'll go back and finish the rest to get a full appreciation for (and come to a better conclusion on) what he put together

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
The 2 minute video with Greg talking about the final Colin episode 😂😂😂

He just randomly removes his shirt and goes off on one about tombstone piledriving someone's mom because they were a dick on twitter

I love mah boy Colin but something tells me once people that were so outraged about the tweet kerfuffle 'witch hunt' that donated to CLS forget why they were so angry, this channel is gonna drop to below $3k in no time. Especially if the production value doesn't increase and there are no other media components (ie podcast).

40k to 3k? Is such a drop even possible? What's the highest Patreon drop ever? I honestly don't know

not sure if spoiler? But listened to the GamesCast from Friday and I thought the guest guy they had on did a really good job considering he isn't a pundit but a fan who was just on the show.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I watched part 1 earlier today, in the comments he said he was nervous being on camera, but he seemed really natural. He wasn't quiet and actively was joining in and even steering the conversation.

Choomp

Banned
Personally, I think every Patreon supporting guest have been (thankfully) good guests. So far, so good. Things could go so, so wrong ;p

The people who spend that much money on KF, one of the superfans, so to speak, usually have some sort of small podcast on their own, so I get it I guess. You're right though, it could go really wrong.

chekhonte

I'm surprised that they have no plans to bring on another co-host. I'm not saying that Miller isn't a strong host I just think he needs a strong ballast that Collin was in his prime.

I can't imagine listening much longer if they don't bring somebody else on.

Lindsaymv

I'm surprised that they have no plans to bring on another co-host. I'm not saying that Miller isn't a strong host I just think he needs a strong ballast that Collin was in his prime.

I can't imagine listening much longer if they don't bring somebody else on.

I haven't kept up with everything they've been saying, but I think my initial takeaway from when they first discussed Colin leaving was that they would see how things shook out - I would expect they'll get another host someday but in the meantime they're going to call in some industry buds to help out while they figure out the post-colin world. It's gonna be a hard transition, it's probably the right call to wait a bit and make a strong decision once they are a bit more stable.

sora87

I would love to see Michael Huber or Ben Moore guest on the Gamescast. I think that would be a really fun conversation to see.

I know Ben would get on well with Tim, I'd be so interested to see what Huber would be like with Greg though, that can be the beginning of a funny friendship there

PepperedHam

Would love to see more collaborations between the two. Huber expressed interest in wanting to talk Batman with Greg before. There are a lot of cool places to pick collaborations from for future Gamecasts. EZA and Kinda Funny have been my only two sources for podcasts since they both started so seeing them collide more often would be extra good, especially in a post Colin world over on KFG. The EZA guys are super knowledgeable about a lot of different genres, would mesh well I think.

Finished the first ep of CLS, and to be honest I didn't really feel the "well researched" part. Didn't seem like a lot of scholarly sources being used. I also thought he'd maybe get into how/why it still applies, or if the interpretation has changed over time at all.

I also maintain that he's speaking too quickly, and you can feel that he's reading off the teleprompter. I think he needs to change that up somehow, maybe using the prompter for bullet points that he speaks to in greater detail.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Brandon and brad from eza speak very highly of tim on a fairly regular basis. Sounds like a good relationship between eza and kf.

Tim gets a lot of love from EZA in general. Tim is a strong request for guest on some EZA podcast(with myself included in those request).

_Isaac

Tim gets a lot of love from EZA in general. Tim is a strong request for guest on some EZA podcast(with myself included in those request).

I'm a big fan of Tim, but I have noticed he gets a lot of hate. More than any other KF member. I never understood that.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a big fan of Tim, but I have noticed he gets a lot of hate. More than any other KF member. I never understood that.

Me 2. Like the guy has improved sooooooooo much since I saw him first on KF.
He's is such a positive and fun guy that can see things from lots of perspectives.
Has honestly become one of my favorite people to watch. I often see bland thrown at him. But it seems like to the people that say that to not be bland you need to just say wrong things all the time with unrelenting conviction.

Maximo

Tim was alittle naive about certain things and camera shy when he first started Kinda Funny (Understandingly due to his upcoming and being fairly closed off and admitting hes better off the camera then on) but he has improved ALOT and has put a shit load of work into Kinda Funny. Hes simply a easy target for some dickheads to vent at least easier compared to the rest of the group.

ironmang

I really like Tim, never understood the hate.

I don't hate him but if you go back and listen to early Gamescasts he was clearly out of his league compared to Greg and Colin. He's been great for a while but early impressions are hard to completely overcome. Especially when you add in he definitely seemed on the "Away" team as far as console preferences go being more of the Nintendo guy.

Another thing, and probably the reason he gets hate now, is I believe he was the most vocal trying to stop the gamergate types from taking over the fanbase when Colin would say something controversial.

Vinc

I don't hate him but if you go back and listen to early Gamescasts he was clearly out of his league compared to Greg and Colin. He's been great for a while but early impressions are hard to completely overcome. Especially when you add in he definitely seemed on the "Away" team as far as console preferences go being more of the Nintendo guy.

Another thing, and probably the reason he gets hate now, is I believe he was the most vocal trying to stop the gamergate types from taking over the fanbase when Colin would say something controversial.

Agreed. Wasn't a huge fan at first, but it's insane how much better he got at talking about games. His knowledge of games seems to have grown exponentially and he seems genuinely much more passionate about them.

Greg Miller was ruined for me when I realized he says "all these different things" 3-4 times in every Gamescast/PS I love you video. It's maddening and also hilarious.

Greg Miller was ruined for me when I realized he says "all these different things" 3-4 times in every Gamescast/PS I love you video. It's maddening and also hilarious.

I love Greg but I swear his mannerisms have kind of become very distracting as of late.

Listening to the Gamescast with Danny o Dwyer and he can't go a sentence without saying
"You know what I mean"
"This that and the other"
"Its this thing of like"

Basically these few phrases string together all of his discussions. I know he can be well spoken when he tries and I'm not sure he's aware that he's doing this. It seems petty and trivial but it does take my enjoyment of the content down a touch.

I've heard him acknowledge it before on one of their shows but I don't know if he's actively working to fix it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
not sure if spoiler? But listened to the GamesCast from Friday and I thought the guest guy they had on did a really good job considering he isn't a pundit but a fan who was just on the show.

This dude is great.

Can we keep him on the Gamescast somehow as an interim 3rd chair?

He flows well with Tim and Greg. He's not shy so you get his opinions, but he's not too forceful/hot takey. He talks well into the mic. He also seems to generally know his shit about all of the different consoles and genres.

Dude's light years ahead of the checked out Colin we've gotten for the last 12 months. I'd argue he's been as good as Danny too, and in some ways he might be better.

jviggy43

This only makes me like him that much more haha.

Also the guest was really good. He should be happy with how well he engaged in the conversation and even led it at times.

Zukkoyaki

I really like this week's guest as well. Very enthusiastic and he knew more than enough to engage. Though he did interrupt a LOT but no harm done. He doesn't do this for a living.

I love Greg but I swear his mannerisms have kind of become very distracting as of late.

Listening to the Gamescast with Danny o Dwyer and he can't go a sentence without saying
"You know what I mean"
"This that and the other"
"Its this thing of like"

Basically these few phrases string together all of his discussions. I know he can be well spoken when he tries and I'm not sure he's aware that he's doing this. It seems petty and trivial but it does take my enjoyment of the content down a touch.

I've heard him acknowledge it before on one of their shows but I don't know if he's actively working to fix it.
Greg "It's the fact that" Miller lol

Vinc

"and da-tada-tada"

I kinda love Greg's mannerisms.

Also really liked the gamescast guest this week, though he interrupted way too much. It's fine though, I'm sure I'd probably be worse.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm glad Colin is doing well. People tried to slander his name, and that must have been difficult. He even mentioned the GAF thread in the latest GOG, and how out of control it all was, and I agree with him. I was appalled at some of the stuff I read in there.

He seems like a genuinely good dude, and I wish success on good people who work hard. I also wish the best for KF. I've never seen hate for Tim, but if people don't like him because he's "less knowledgeable" than the others... whatever. They aren't professors, they're entertainers. Bottom line is they either entertain you or they don't. I think he's entertaining enough. Never had an issue with Tim.

Just noticed the PS I Love You XOXO thread is now in Community (alongside this thread).

Also, they should use Andy's skill with his electric guitar at KFL3.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
People pointing out the truth so Colin ran away to follow his other passion I don't have to care about has been pretty much the best thing that happened. Super fun to listen to the content again and with less punch down jokes and general more kindness and positivity.
Glad that people decided to speak up about shitty behavior despite the hordes of witless people labeling it as slander.
Given that those people still struggle with the concept of what real suppression of free speech is.

jon_dojah

Banned
They've lost $2000 in the last couple days across both their Patreons. There was that $3k boost on KF a week ago I assume were people trying to get the last Colin appearance early but has fell $500 since.

KF is $6k ahead of Colin. A bunch of people recently commenting on that last youtube say they are leaving now that its been uploaded.

I myself have been watching alot less (stopped morning show completely). If I catch a title that seems interesting I'll watch but so far nothing this week. Maybe next week.

Top Bottom