• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect now recognizes upper torso while sitting. Lower torso, not so much.

Wrestlemania said:
Eurogamer also mentioned that it looks like there's a weight to the cursor as if there's some resistance to it's movement. Sounds like it could be a result of lag to me.
They said that positively. Their exact quote being, "The reticule moves smoothly, and has a pleasing hint of weight to it". Twist that to mean lag if you so wish though.

I'm not saying CoE will be totally lag free, but any problematic lag existing is far from what I took away from the overwhelmingly positive Eurogamer preview. Lag seems to differ quite a bit between Kinect games, and is largely a software issue rather than an inherent problem with The hardware. Whilst Kinect will always have some level of lag, I think it can be minimised to more than acceptable levels.

InaudibleWhispa said:
They said that positively. Their exact quote being, "The reticule moves smoothly, and has a pleasing hint of weight to it". Twist that to mean lag if you so wish though.
I'm not twisting anything. The preview was positive but they were only watching it being played. If the lag is annoying then it's only really going to be apparent when you play it, and Miz is hardly going to turn to them and say "Actually, playing like this feels a bit crappy. Use a pad.".
Like I said, I'm just basing it on what I've played so far which is all unfinished software. We'll know better once the hardware has actually launched.

Wrestlemania said:
I'm not twisting anything. The preview was positive but they were only watching it being played. If the lag is annoying then it's only really going to be apparent when you play it, and Miz is hardly going to turn to them and say "Actually, playing like this feels a bit crappy. Use a pad.".
From what I've read though, Kinect's lag LOOKS worse than it is, since you can see the disconnect between the big human body and the movement on screen. Playing Kinect is supposed to feel less laggy than it looks, or at least that is what I've gathered from reading a few hands-on impressions. Regardless, Eurogamer didn't perceive any noticeable lag, at least none bad enough to report, so it seems silly to assume that what they refer to as "pleasing weight" is in fact "unpleasing lag".

No, the lag definitely does feels worse than it looks. It's especially bad in things like Joyride and Kinect Adventures, but in Dance Central it's barely noticeable because of how the game operates.

Well I can't argue with what you felt, especially with no hands-on time with Kinect myself, but that certainly isn't the impression I've been getting from others. Regardless, I don't think Miz would be pushing a crappy, laggy, inferior control method that just looks like it plays well.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Well I can't argue with what you felt, especially with no hands-on time with Kinect myself, but that certainly isn't the impression I've been getting from others. Regardless, I don't think Miz would be pushing a crappy, laggy, inferior control method that just looks like it plays well.

Miz did push a inferior 360 game before in 99 knights lets not forget.

sorry guys I havent kept up with the thread...but basically even if i just want to Navigate through the dash to watch dvd/netflix using kinect I will actually have to stand up ?

This cant be true can it? i will have to stand to play driving games?

Kabuki Waq said:
sorry guys I havent kept up with the thread...but basically even if i just want to Navigate through the dash to watch dvd/netflix using kinect I will actually have to stand up ?

No, the issue has been sorted now. The thread title needs to be changed. Well, the thread really just needs to die.

Dynoro

Kabuki Waq said:

Kinect supports sitting down and has been proved to do so. If for some reason the media controls do require standing atm there is no reason why they would in 3 months time when its released.

ShapeGSX

MrPliskin said:
I want to be excited for Dance Central, I really do, but at the end of the day, just going out to a night club and getting hammered and dancing with people, ultimately making bad decisions...well, it's much more fun than Dance Central could ever be.

Kinect + Dance Central is likely cheaper. :D

Alx

Kabuki Waq said:

Inferior to what ? I had more fun with NNN than with any other massive beat'em up... It wasn't a masterpiece, but good, mindless fun.

RedStep

shaowebb said:
View my list however you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that this is NOT creating the kind of buzz either the Wii, the balance board, or Rockband did when they hit the market within their intended audiences. I work in retail right now while I'm in college. The responses we're seeing are ones of mild interest if any among casuals, distaste at the cost from both parents and core 360 audiences, and no interest whatsoever from the major 360 audience of FPS fans, and sports fans.

It just lacks appeal at this price, and lacks anything to draw a large audience. The 360 slim sells, but no one really seems to buy one wanting Kinect. Try to hold out hope if you want, but until this add-on that is marketed as a system that costs close to a system in price delivers a AAA title to the market that makes full body motion control something incredible instead of just tiring then you can pretty much count on it flopping.

I'm not saying that it will set the world on fire. I'm optimistic that it will a) work well, and b) catch on via word-of-mouth (if it works well).

Your tenuous comparisons and insulting generalizations completely undermine any point you might be trying to make. Like I said, the cost is the closest to a factual argument that you can use so far. We'll see how the others pan out in November. They may work out the issues in time, or they may not. I doubt they'll vomit out a product that doesn't work at all and call it a day.

jigglywiggly said:
Didn't he recently say that wasn't the case in an interview with NowGamer or something?

EDIT: Found it. http://www.nowgamer.com/news/3932/child-of-eden-kinect-not-lead-platform

I stand corrected. Everything else still stands, though.

Wrestlemania said:
I'm not saying it'll definitely be there, obviously I haven't played it and there's no impressions from people who have, but it's there in other games I've played which are using 'pointer' controls.

Every game is different when it comes to lag, but which ones would those be, if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe as people get to grips with it they'll be able to minimise it, but I'm not expecting it to disappear completely.

Of course it won't disappear completely, everything adds some lag, even standard wired controllers. The point is, most people who've played it claim it's not an issue. It sucks if it's an issue for you, but that might not be true for other people. They'll have to see for themselves.

Kabuki Waq said:

Inferior to what? You're comparing pushing a game he has made to pushing a control method in a game that also offers other ways of control, which is not the same at all (not that I believe that he couldn't possibly be persuaded into pushing a poorly executed control method, given enough incentive, but there's no proof whatsoever that he's doing that).

Azih said:
But not for everything correct? Dashboard is fine, but not all games?

As far as we know, it will work on a case by case basis, but as InaudibleWhispa said, there's no reason why it couldn't be implemented in all games that don't track your legs or require you to move around.

The thread title should really be changed.

shaowebb said:
View my list however you want to, but it doesn't change the fact that this is NOT creating the kind of buzz either the Wii, the balance board, or Rockband did when they hit the market within their intended audiences. I work in retail right now while I'm in college. The responses we're seeing are ones of mild interest if any among casuals, distaste at the cost from both parents and core 360 audiences, and no interest whatsoever from the major 360 audience of FPS fans, and sports fans.

It just lacks appeal at this price, and lacks anything to draw a large audience. The 360 slim sells, but no one really seems to buy one wanting Kinect. Try to hold out hope if you want, but until this add-on that is marketed as a system that costs close to a system in price delivers a AAA title to the market that makes full body motion control something incredible instead of just tiring then you can pretty much count on it flopping.

Hi Agenda boy how's the agenda going today? You get your checks from Sony yet? Keep up the good work Agenda boy.

I think the main point we need to get across is Kinect works sitting with the menu and CAN work sitting if a developer makes a game that would need you to sit.

There is no technical limitation where the Kinect simply breaks if you are sitting. People should not over react to a product that is not out yet, and regardless of agenda's if the dev of said technology says it's not working now but will be working before launch maybe you should freaking believe them for a change.

This issue does not exist anymore and the thread should be closed.

cedric69

swanlee597 said:
Hi Agenda boy how's the agenda going today? You get your checks from Sony yet? Keep up the good work Agenda boy.
What he mentions doesn't seem so agenda driven, much more a simple list of sane considerations. The price is high, the experiences do not seem to justify it, expressing concerns over its success seems natural.

cedric69 said:
What he mentions doesn't seem so agenda driven, much more a simple list of sane considerations. The price is high, the experiences do not seem to justify it, expressing concerns over its success seems natural.

It's the fact he trolls every kinect thread and goes around in circles trying to push down any positive news or excitement about the product. The time and effort he spends and his lack of objectivity squarely puts him as a person with an agenda to squash anything positive about kinect.

Can two people be in view of the camera when one person is navigating game menus? At the last demonstration the PR guy insisted that that the second person had to sit down, which was totally crazy. Imagine if you have to do that in the final builds.

Wrestlemania said:
Can two people be in view of the camera when one person is navigating game menus? At the last demonstration the PR guy insisted that that the second person had to sit down, which was totally crazy. Imagine if you have to do that in the final builds.

Uh oh I SMELL another baseless thread

KINECT MENU DOES NOT WORK WHEN 2 PEOPLE ARE USING THE CAMERA!!!!!!!!!!!

KINECT DOESN'T WORK WHEN YOUR DOG FARTS WITHIN 20FT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is safe to say people that keep speculating on what will and what will not work with kinect should probably just wait till it is actually out and read a few reviews of it. All this baseless speculation on a product that is not out and does not have final software implemented for it just makes you look stupid.

Hey, I'm just going on what the demonstrators at the Kinect Gallery in London are saying. Only one person in front of the camera when in menus or it messes up.

Wrestlemania said:
A few games use it for menu controls.

Menu controls surely won't get the same attention as proper game controls. Lag is not as important in menu navigation.

Wrestlemania said:

Yes, they can (watch at 0:39). The cursor seems to be attached to only one person, at least in this game.

Also, on a related note:

We've been told before that the Xbox 360's Kinect would work when "an experience is developed with sitting in mind," but we hadn't had the opportunity to really test that. In a Gamescom meeting, where we saw the Kinect version of the Xbox dashboard, we tried out the menu system and movie controls to test its recognition of seated users:

•Sitting in a chair: Definitely works.
•Sitting on the floor: Works.
•Reclining while facing the Kinect: Works.
•Reclining with the Kinect at our side: We couldn't get this to work, but we've been told that it will by launch.
•Using another human as a coffee table (should have taken photos!): Kinect recognized the person behind the human coffee table trying to control the movie.

According to Microsoft, Kinect was running on an improved version of the software used during E3 in June. The manufacturer is set to make further improvements before the camera's November debut.

Does now?

Concern over Kinect's ability to detect players sat down on sofas has been eradicated after Microsoft updated the software behind the tech, Eurogamer can reveal.

Kinect's much-discussed difficulty detecting sitting and lying down players was caused by it setting the base node used to create skeletal models at the bottom of the spine.

Comfy couch wins again. Just call me when there's compelling software and I might bite. Nothing, outside of the stuff from TGS, seems interesting to me at all.

cgcg

"It means that should the bottom of your torso get confused with the sofa, because your bum and your legs are enveloped inside the sofa, it doesn't matter because your hands and arms are still working,"

so it still can't detect lower body. Not really fixed.

[Nintex]

We might see some cool head tracking stuff for FPS games or something, you know the stuff Rare wanted to try out ever since Kinect or Natal came into play.

cgcg

soco said:
because you'll be kicking a lot while sitting...

Yup that must be it. That's the only thing you can do with your legs while sitting down. You've got it all figured out. Awesome!

WillyFive

LCfiner said:
but you might want to lower your foot onto an accelerator or brake pedal.

Manual acceleration and braking is so this gen. We need to look into the future, like the iPhone racing games! Those are hip with the consumers! It's not like they want to control their cars!

jedimike

GAF's collective resistance to kinect is fascinating. "It has too much lag... it can't detect ass movement while sitting... my friends will mess with the voice commands"... on and on. Even the mods will only change the thread title to something slightly less offensive.

The real debate should be if kinect will provide you and your friends/family $150 worth of entertainment value. For me, that's a resounding YES. It will be a blast.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jedimike said:
GAF's collective resistance to kinect is fascinating. "It has too much lag... it can't detect ass movement while sitting... my friends will mess with the voice commands"... on and on. Even the mods will only change the thread title to something slightly less offensive.

The real debate should be if kinect will provide you and your friends/family $150 worth of entertainment value. For me, that's a resounding YES. It will be a blast.
Yeah, I drive my car with my ass. You should see the other people watching me on the road. It's a spectacle.

jedimike said:

So what, you quantify how much fun per minute you're having? And then assign a dollar value to each 'unit' of fun?

I think its important that this thing works in a variety of situations. Right now it seems like you need to wear high contrast clothing and move your furniture around for each play session. The lack of buttons and abundance of lag compound the issues the device would already have playing games. It was an absurd reductionist reaction to the Wii, and as such comes across as rushed and flawed as expected.

jedimike

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, I drive my car with my ass. You should see the other people watching me on the road. It's a spectacle.

There's also a wheel and a controller... Kinect doesn't need to replace or replicate every gaming experience.

Gravijah

I've always wondered how using a controller+kinect is going to work. Most of the tracked movements are stuff like your arms, right?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
jedimike said:
There's also a wheel and a controller... Kinect doesn't need to replace or replicate every gaming experience.
They're certainly trying to, considering the shooter demos/Forza racing demos, etc. in attempt to market it's versatility. No one in their right mind would use it for a racing game, but the marketing is certainly leaning towards "do everything with your body."

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Why would it needs to detect my legs while I'm sitting? At least it'll work for people in wheelchairs. *

* not a tasteless joke, it's true

Top Bottom