• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

TreIII

SNKP with an OFFICIAL TWITCH CHANNEL? These words make sense, but are so foreign, it's shocking, lol.

24 Characters in our upcoming build... yum.

All this surprising developments from SNK that showcase outright confidence and competence. I friggin love this modern SNKP.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
How do i nico nico this friday?
SAB CA? Tizoc? Tizoc pls

qcf x2

Same! I'm calling it: End of July.

I'm feeling September. July is too close. SNK still has HALF of the roster to reveal, the visuals are still being worked on, we have no info on game modes, they have to build and test reliable netcode, then of course balancing and bug testing.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm feeling September. July is too close. SNK still has HALF of the roster to reveal, the visuals are still being worked on, we have no info on game modes, they have to build and test reliable netcode, then of course balancing and bug testing.

On top of all that, we have no idea what they're doing for story / arcade modes, UI presentation, bonus content for preorders or PSN, or any other related promo items (Kyo doesn't even look like the art they have on the fan and energy drink anymore...)

With the nebulous "2016" they have stamped everywhere, I have no idea why people think it'll be in the middle of the year. It feels more like a late-in-year release, that has a second phase of New Saga-promotion after Character-hype promotion ends.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CfWjnpNUYAAB0VN.jpg:orig

A special introduction between characters? Hmmm... Character intros return? Most likely not a taunt...

Loona

A special introduction between characters? Hmmm... Character intros return? Most likely not a taunt...

Nice!

Brainfart: if the boss can bring in characters from alternate worlds, I wonder if his stage will in any way resemble Ryo's from FFS, since that feels like a limbo that got a bit of AoF grafted into it.
And if not the final boss's stage, maybe the alternate world team's?... The musicians in the stage kind of resemble the ones that appear in Kyoshiro's stages in Samurai Shodown...

Zerojul

It's completely anecdotal but I just realized the red flag has "Howard" spelled in kanjis on it. Nice touch.
And hell yeah for special intros !

The Geese reveal has me interested for the first time, especially if Tekken 7's not hitting home consoles this year. But the game still looks too clean, it needs some kind of lighting filter or something.

Yep. One of the biggest losses of the XII/XIII era was losing special intros.

If they can bring back unique victory animations, too, even better!
In that case, they may as well go all out and throw in unique battle cries and callouts mid-match a la Blazblue and (to a lesser extent) Guilty Gear

Beckx

Geese's head needs to be a little bigger or his shoulders a little smaller. Right now he looks a little bit like a Rob Liefeld character!

Het_Nkik

Yep. One of the biggest losses of the XII/XIII era was losing special intros.

If they can bring back unique victory animations, too, even better!

I remember Kensou at least had a special "victory" animation for beating Athena in XIII. Was he the only one?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Geese' Trapezius muscles look quite developed, but I don't mind him being a bit exaggerated. It's like his body is sculpted to look good in a Hakama or something, ha. Evil Charismatic Japanese Fanboy.

I remember Kensou at least had a special "victory" animation for beating Athena in XIII. Was he the only one?

There a few special things in XIII, but they're normally achieved by beating someone with a Neomax. K' glove burns out, Hwa Jai continues spitting up in a crazy pose, Ralf Stays in 3rd Gear, Ryo goes back to the pose he takes before doing his grand punch, etc.

It would have been nice if they used a few of the Taunt Animations for special win poses. Would have loved to have seen Maxima's Giant Robot-inspired eye twinkle as a win pose, ha.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CfZuj-aUEAIL82f.jpg:orig

I like how you can see both characters do their intros at the same time, unlike most 3D fighting games.

You'd think most 3D games by now would also have special "2 characters at once" intros for special relationships. It feels very, very goofy to have long-standing buddies like Ryu and Ken show no special relation to each other when meeting, or even, say, how Jago and Orchid don't acknowledge their sibling relation in KI.

Heck, you'd think they'd at least offer some alternative camera views or a "zoom out from center" rival fight camera or something. It's weird how much personality fighters actually LOST in the shift from 2D to 3D. MKX does a great hob with them overall, which is one of the few times I can plainly complement MK series, no strings attached!

KoF Maximum Impact series was pretty good with them, I don't know why something more like this didn't become a standard.

NeonZ

Heck, you'd think they'd at least offer some alternative camera views or a "zoom out from center" rival fight camera or something. It's weird how much personality fighters actually LOST in the shift from 2D to 3D. MKX does a great hob with them overall, which is one of the few times I can plainly complement MK series, no strings attached!

Soul Calibur V also had character specific intros - although I think they mostly used default animations, but changed what they spoke to each other.

BadWolf

The Geese and Billy intro is classic style but the special intro they showed between Iori and Kyo in the PSX trailer was cinematic.

Wonder if they changed their mind or maybe the Kyo/Iori intro was from somewhere else, story content?

TreIII

For me, at least, Haohshokouken > Shinkuu Hadouken, any day~!

You'd think most 3D games by now would also have special "2 characters at once" intros for special relationships. It feels very, very goofy to have long-standing buddies like Ryu and Ken show no special relation to each other when meeting, or even, say, how Jago and Orchid don't acknowledge their sibling relation in KI.

Agreed. If nothing else, you'd think in the interest of trying to keep things moving at a brisk pace for the FGC crowd, more 3D fighters would have done more to keep things on one screen, instead of forcing you to skip through two intros just to get to the fight faster.

Same! I'm calling it: End of July.

LOL, no way. Just because all of the characters might be revealed before then, doesn't mean that they'll rush it out of the door. There's still plenty of things for them to do after that, like qcf x2 & SAB CA had mentioned.

They still have to fix the balance, make sure that the netcode for the game is running properly, include hitboxes, up the graphics even more, offer single player content, etc.

It's a lot.

TreIII

LOL, no way. Just because all of the characters might be revealed before then, doesn't mean that they'll rush it out of the door. There's still plenty of things for them to do after that, like qcf x2 & SAB CA had mentioned.

They still have to fix the balance, make sure that the netcode for the game is running properly, include hitboxes, up the graphics even more, offer single player content, etc.

It's a lot.

And then there's, of course, their yet-to-be-disclosed publishing partner's part in all of this.

Localization effort can be an arduous task in itself, and that just adds on an extra step when it comes to marketing and making sure all the time tables match up. For the sake of all parties involved, as well as of us who just want to play the game when it's ready, I hope SNKP won't screw their publisher over with last minute delays, like they did Ignition and Atlus.

Loona

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CfbrlmaUYAAcr_l.jpg:orig

New trailer tomorrow, hype!

Really hope so, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Stream took the place as our "video goodie" for the week. Guess we'll find out soon!

Soul Calibur V also had character specific intros - although I think they mostly used default animations, but changed what they spoke to each other.

Aye, I wish even THAT was the norm. You'd think it'd be easy to have 2 or 3 extra lines of dialogue that fit the same mouth movements..

The Geese and Billy intro is classic style but the special intro they showed between Iori and Kyo in the PSX trailer was cinematic.

Wonder if they changed their mind or maybe the Kyo/Iori intro was from somewhere else, story content?

1st round and rounds after could be different styles? Could even use the same animations and voices, just different camera work and pacing.

I'm still not under the assumption that we'll now actually be getting a trailer every week

Yeah, I try not to expect it TOO much... but I'm always looking forward to the possibility. I'd be perfectly fine if they stopped intro trailers for a week or 2, and instead went into full movesets or match videos for already-revealed characters.

For me, at least, Haohshokouken > Shinkuu Hadouken, any day~!

It is totally better, lol. The huge size and variance in speed make it feel more lik a tactical hazard, rather than just energy for energies sake.

Agreed. If nothing else, you'd think in the interest of trying to keep things moving at a brisk pace for the FGC crowd, more 3D fighters would have done more to keep things on one screen, instead of forcing you to skip through two intros just to get to the fight faster.

To me, such things ARE the story in a fighting game. Poses, quotes, and changes in character relations are what tell us the outcomes an evolving nature of a character. It'd be great to see characters get tired of each other in between long sets, blowing off intros just to spar again, or for really competitive types to start saying things like "So how many wins is that for me now? Why do you even keep trying?!"

And then there's, of course, their yet-to-be-disclosed publishing partner's part in all of this.

Localization effort can be an arduous task in itself, and that just adds on an extra step when it comes to marketing and making sure all the time tables match up. For the sake of all parties involved, as well as of us who just want to play the game when it's ready, I hope SNKP won't screw their publisher over with last minute delays, like they did Ignition and Atlus.

It'll be interesting to see how much Localization might change things. What if the Pub demanded an English dub? Is that even possible? Heck, could they release it as-is when the JP is ready, and just make the dub DLable later for free?

Has it been confirmed we're getting one tomorrow?

Not yet, but possibly soon. They normally announce the days trailer when the screenshot comes out.

CONFIRMED!: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A New Teaser Trailer is going to be revealed soon! Stey tuned!!

Scotia

Banned
Not yet, but possibly soon. They normally announce the days trailer when the screenshot comes out.

CONFIRMED!: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A New Teaser Trailer is going to be revealed soon! Stey tuned!!

Yes! Come on Ramon, your time is now!

Joe would be nice too.

Prediction:

Ramon, Joe, Pillow Child

Top Bottom