• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

qcf x2

Yeah, I'd agree with DLC. If XIV is going to be SNK's main flagship as far as fighting games go, then it would pay to make sure it's supported for the long haul to keep interest in it strong.

And as I and others have said before, I still think it would be in SNK's best interest to chill a bit with fighting game series. After SS or LB (whatever is next in the pipeline) and another Metal Slug, it probably would be best for them to develop other (non-fighting game) IPs, or maybe even bring back some other classics like Athena or Crystalis. It'll only help develop SNK's portfolio and increase their appeal beyond those of us who already love them (and help shake the reputation that they're just the "KOF and Metal Slug company" that they attained during the SNKP years).

The beauty about KOF is that since it's as much a celebration of SNK's history as much as it will be promoting their brands going forward, KOF DLC could have a nice "Marth debuted in Smash Bros." trope in effect for those new and classic non-fighting IPs that SNK may want to advertise.

This may be especially helpful if say, Neo_G was going to be the director of some new action series, and said character(s) from that game made an early bird cameo in a KOFXIV DLC to help get the word out...

And we already know this, but yeah...I couldn't get behind this type of idea more, if I tried.

I suppose the only thing is that, especially now-a-days, you want to make sure that this content is put in such places where a larger crowd will be sure to see them. There's a reason why "Easter Eggs" in themselves are becoming an increasing rarity in games, because it's harder to warrant the development time that a larger portion of gamers may never see.

Hell, even special intros/victory poses, as much as I love them, are going to be things that competitive players will just speed right through them after seeing them a couple of times (and that's if they bother to see them at all).

Yeah, that's how I feel. While I'm excited about the prospect of future FF, LB, SS and even AoF games, I think it's crucial for SNK to take their time. You can't saturate the market like in the early 90's or you're gonna have 5 or 6 games that sell 20k copies each. Furthermore, each future title should build on whatever the teams learn from the previous one. Example: KoF was never much of a looker (the last two aside) so XIV can get away with looking solid (to many people... clearly not for some others), but when people think of Samurai Shodown and Last Blade they think of impressive visuals. They should to take their time, listen to feedback to make sure this game feels like a product everyone is glad to own and let the future projects cook for as long as they need. As mentioned, this game should last for several years.

I like the idea of them branching out and doing other genres, but I'm not sure what modern genres SNK is actually capable of besides fighters. I mean, side scrollers aren't really a thing these days.

TreIII

Yeah, that's how I feel. While I'm excited about the prospect of future FF, LB, SS and even AoF games, I think it's crucial for SNK to take their time. You can't saturate the market like in the early 90's or you're gonna have 5 or 6 games that sell 20k copies each. Furthermore, each future title should build on whatever the teams learn from the previous one. Example: KoF was never much of a looker (the last two aside) so XIV can get away with looking solid (to many people... clearly not for some others), but when people think of Samurai Shodown and Last Blade they think of impressive visuals. They should to take their time, listen to feedback to make sure this game feels like a product everyone is glad to own and let the future projects cook for as long as they need. As mentioned, this game should last for several years.

I like the idea of them branching out and doing other genres, but I'm not sure what modern genres SNK is actually capable of besides fighters. I mean, side scrollers aren't really a thing these days.

That's where I hope Neo_G, as well as any other SNK refugees that spent a number of years at Dimps before returning "home", could help with that detail. Neo_G, of course, brings his own wealth of experience from his days at Capcom, and Dimps has done a lot of work for a variety of companies besides just fighters.

Somewhere among that pool of talent SNK now has available should be a team that could provide something unique and fit into SNK's current strategies. Card games, character action, relatively cheap sidescrollers that could be thrown up on downloadable servers...the possibilities could be something else!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
On the roster or in the background? I definitely agree about the background, but if anything is being saved for last that would be it. I long for the day we can see our other teammates in the background like in the glory days.

background, like I always see the usual SNK suspects hanging in the background in KoF stages

I doubt it, so far. Really, this is Geese first time with EX moves, maybe they'll just turn him into the Nightmare he deserves to be all along? *TehTaRAAH Reppu-JAM!*

maybe he has a super that activates Nightmare mode!

shaowebb

Trying to stay up late tonight to flip my schedule for night shifts. So its coffee, Grappler Baki Manga, and fighting game work tonight. Yall got any good new KOF 14 trailers yet for me to watch :D

TheRook

What are the chances of Teams being DLC?

Like XIII's Hero team (Elizabeth, Shen, Duo Lon) or 97' New Face Team(Yashiro, Shermie, Chris)?

Sayad

What are the chances of Teams being DLC?

Like XIII's Hero team (Elizabeth, Shen, Duo Lon) or 97' New Face Team(Yashiro, Shermie, Chris)?

The leaked DLC list(with nothing to back it up ), showed the DLC model as adding a character to each existing team, like adding Blue Mary for the Fatal Fury team, Vanessa to team Mexico, etc... But at this point, we officially know nothing about DLC other than that they are considering it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Cj6D2FYUoAATvoY.jpg:orig

oye. holsters on ralf look pretty rough.

Loona

Somewhere among that pool of talent SNK now has available should be a team that could provide something unique and fit into SNK's current strategies. Card games, character action, relatively cheap sidescrollers that could be thrown up on downloadable servers...the possibilities could be something else!

It still surprises me that with all their mobile efforts in recent years they haven't put out an SNK-only Card Fighters clash - I figure they have enough characters to make it work if they cover their more out-of-focus games.

Gren

That Yuri ranbu was actually worth all the lenghty cinematics.

Also, I know it's a reference to her KOFXIII artwork, but the framing of the DM's ending really reminded me of Dan's Ultra 1.

BadWolf

Won't be able to hear the music till I get home T_T

That Yuri ranbu was actually worth all the lenghty cinematics.

Also, I know it's a reference to her KOFXIII artwork, but the framing of the DM's ending really reminded me of Dan's Ultra 1.

Thatsthejoke.jpg

The Art of Fighting Team Trailer: PEGI - USA

Wow, Ryo's still pumping out insane damage. Nearly fifty percent off three EX moves during MAX mode. If that stays, he's going to be a very popular pick.

That said, great trailer. It was nice to see more of Yuri, and I'm liking that every team seemingly has their own stage. A very good addition to the game~!

Who have we not seen yet out of the new characters?

We haven't seen Alice, Meitenkun, Love Heart, Zarina, Mian, Gang-Il and Xanadu.

Hein gameplay was shown via camera footage of that Japanese demo...but, you could count him as he has hasn't had a proper trailer.

EDIT: Kim Team trailer should be next week, followed by the Villain Team trailer the week after that. So, Gang-Il next week, Xanadu in two weeks.

Mista Koo

We haven't seen Alice, Meitenkun, Love Heart, Zarina, Mian, Gang-Il and Xanadu.

Hein gameplay was shown via camera footage of that Japanese demo...but, you could count him as he has hasn't had a proper trailer.

EDIT: Kim Team trailer should be next week, followed by the Villain Team trailer the week after that. So, Gang-Il next week, Xanadu in two weeks.
Thanks. I think that means I've seen all the available footage.

Was Shun'ei shown for more than a second? I think I've only seen him in the same camera footage as Hein.

Loona

Kinda disappointed it's not the Todoh stage music :(

That one already got plenty of use in the past - I'd rather have them save that for the day when Ryuhyaku himself becomes playable - I much prefer seeing the Kyokugenryuu gang using music of their own, like their KoF94 theme or similar.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hiroaki the goat.

In fact he has a couple of K & Kula artwork that are pretty much the best KOF art ever made.

Top Bottom