• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV Roster Discussion thread. Leaked roster in first post

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FamilyGuy-Good20Good.gif

NOW ANNOUNCE SOMETHING FOR THIS WEEK! ;-)

*Deep breaths* I mean, really, E3 is just an event that'll announce KOF news, and have some other stuff around it, right?
I'm half kidding.

Anyone interested in a KOF14 commands list website? I knocked something up recently (not online yet, i may have to put it on an odd spare domain for now) and haven't done all the characters... But it's pretty handy, especially with so many characters, to have a quick reference on your mobile.

I made it mostly for my benefit, since the PDF command lists on SNK's site aren't ideal for small screens. It'd only be the moves, no frame data or strategies etc (one of the wiki's will have that later i'm sure, and i don't have the spare time to do it all!)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
- Some actual Nakoruru play there! So her C-> traditional d.C can come into each other.
- the d.C hits 3 times, and can be cancelled into specials, but it offers little hitstun over all.
- Saw someone try to MAX cancel off the 3 hits, were not able to follow up.
- EX Annu Mutsube looked like nothing special on block. Didn't get to see it or followup on hit.
- She has a heel drop off Hawk Carry that looks to leave enough time to combo afterwards on hit.

- Shun'ei was shown a bunch of times, but did little of note.
- His EX DP punch with the Red Hand does a grasp as a second hit, which floats the opponent for additional juggles.
- After his in-air arm swipe special hits, you can follow up with his EX Shine Elbow-ish DM while the opponent sails back.

- Vice has her old 2 HIT close D!.... as what looks to be part of her Auto RUSH combo :(

- MuiMui's command throw is actually Karin's Critical Art.. She sweeps the leg, sending the opponent into a spin, and then hits a palm thrust into their body. It can be combo's into off a light close kick, at least. At about 37:00 min in.
- Can get her special move Up-kicks off 2 crouching B's.

- Yuri has her old up-kick command normal back... as part of her Auto RUSH combo.

-Chin's DM into EXDM combo seemed to be the new hotness. I can't tell if he'd be able to land a good rolling punch after the EX DM at mid screen, as most people seemed to mentally freeze up after the wall-bounce portion.

- Someone did Goro's new OTG DM! Around 22:00 in. It whiffed when tried to super cancel off his command throw at mid screen, but worked when the enemy fell in the corner. He picks them up by the leg, tosses them into the air, watches their descent, jumps up, grabs them, and slams them back down himself.
- We can see his RUSH combo in this vid.

-Kukri's EX Teleport has him make 4 sand clones as he progresses forward towards you.

- Ralf has his old CD of course, and we see him charge up his new special a few times, but no real hits.
- When Ralf KO's the opponent with his CDM at 17:55, the game goes to the Results screen from the GRAND REAL MAN'S PUNCH portion, rather than after they launch and fall to the ground.
- You also get to see Ralf's victory screen, due to this, which we haven't seen before.

- A lot of ending Grand Saber Hits into Slash Saber DM with Leona. Finished 2 matches this way. Considering the move barely ever saw use in XIII, it's nice to see it putting in work here.

Anyone interested in a KOF14 commands list website? I knocked something up recently (not online yet, i may have to put it on an odd spare domain for now) and haven't done all the characters... But it's pretty handy, especially with so many characters, to have a quick reference on your mobile.

I made it mostly for my benefit, since the PDF command lists on SNK's site aren't ideal for small screens. It'd only be the moves, no frame data or strategies etc (one of the wiki's will have that later i'm sure, and i don't have the spare time to do it all!)

Anyone? Some pics of tonight's progress, mobile and larger views... click to see bigger.
The faded character headshots/snk logos still need their moves added - the others have them already.
Takes me about 5 mins to populate a character with the backend i built!

SNK needs to hurry up and put more artwork and moves on their site :D

BadWolf

Anyone else think the game is looking a lot more colorful in that off screen footage compared to the Stunfest stream?

Thanks man, iirc the uploader is the guy who personally put together most of the frame data for KOFXIII.

It was great watching them just test stuff out.

- Some actual Nakoruru play there! So her C-> traditional d.C can come into each other.
- the d.C hits 3 times, and can be cancelled into specials, but it offers little hitstun over all.
- Saw someone try to MAX cancel off the 3 hits, were not able to follow up.
- EX Annu Mutsube looked like nothing special on block. Didn't get to see it or followup on hit.
- She has a heel drop off Hawk Carry that looks to leave enough time to combo afterwards on hit.

- Shun'ei was shown a bunch of times, but did little of note.
- His EX DP punch with the Red Hand does a grasp as a second hit, which floats the opponent for additional juggles.
- After his in-air arm swipe special hits, you can follow up with his EX Shine Elbow-ish DM while the opponent sails back.

- Vice has her old 2 HIT close D!.... as what looks to be part of her Auto RUSH combo :(

- MuiMui's command throw is actually Karin's Critical Art.. She sweeps the leg, sending the opponent into a spin, and then hits a palm thrust into their body. It can be combo's into off a light close kick, at least. At about 37:00 min in.
- Can get her special move Up-kicks off 2 crouching B's.

- Yuri has her old up-kick command normal back... as part of her Auto RUSH combo.

-Chin's DM into EXDM combo seemed to be the new hotness. I can't tell if he'd be able to land a good rolling punch after the EX DM at mid screen, as most people seemed to mentally freeze up after the wall-bounce portion.

- Someone did Goro's new OTG DM! Around 22:00 in. It whiffed when tried to super cancel off his command throw at mid screen, but worked when the enemy fell in the corner. He picks them up by the leg, tosses them into the air, watches their descent, jumps up, grabs them, and slams them back down himself.
- We can see his RUSH combo in this vid.

-Kukri's EX Teleport has him make 4 sand clones as he progresses forward towards you.

- Ralf has his old CD of course, and we see him charge up his new special a few times, but no real hits.
- When Ralf KO's the opponent with his CDM at 17:55, the game goes to the Results screen from the GRAND REAL MAN'S PUNCH portion, rather than after they launch and fall to the ground.
- You also get to see Ralf's victory screen, due to this, which we haven't seen before.

- A lot of ending Grand Saber Hits into Slash Saber DM with Leona. Finished 2 matches this way. Considering the move barely ever saw use in XIII, it's nice to see it putting in work here.

Great observations, a lot of good stuff happened there.

Goro's OTG super looked sweet, it did miss when supercanceled into from his command grab but at least we have confirmation that Goro can still super cancel his command grabs.

It looked like they were having problems comboing off lows with Yuri?

Leona is very speedy, he figured out real quick with her that running under jump ins might be a more viable strategy in XIV compared to XIII.

Ralf's new wind up punch move looks like it very much will have guard points on start up. He looks like night and day compared to how he looked when first revealed.

Also, he mentioned on twitter that Sylvie's Climax DM has received changes so I was kind of on the lookout for other stuff. Could be wrong but this stuff seem to have received some changes:

- Luong's kick SDM now has a slow mo before the ice skater twirl looking finisher, looks much better.
- Mai has her old target combo from XIII back and the HK portion is no longer special cancellable?

Not shown in this vid but Chin's EX roll seems to have lost its invincibility, or at the very least it's not nearly as much as XIII. You could see it exchange on hit with someone in one of Frionel's vids, this would have never happened in XIII (it was fully invincible post start up in that game).

Love how they have nailed the old school anime kung fu girl look with Muimui, looking at her also makes me think that Kensou will lose his XIII play style. And yeah, that Karin-like command throw was funny.

Anyone? Some pics of tonight's progress, mobile and larger views... click to see bigger.
The faded character headshots/snk logos still need their moves added - the others have them already.

Good stuff, I'm sure a lot of people will find it useful, especially if you update it with stuff like BnB combos etc. in the future.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CkWvNzYUYAAsWlo.jpg:orig

This is actually a subtle reference to the Fatal Fury Motion Picture, no?

I think you'll get more responses once people actually have their hands on the game! ;) So the WNF stuff will hopefully appreciate your work!

Considering how many people were looking at the movelist pages in the JP play vids, I think it's a much needed resource. Maybe you can even get SNK to tweet about it on Twitter if you try.

Yeah i guess adding BnB's wouldn't be too much more work once the moves are in! I did see a lot of printouts of the pdf's in the streams yup, pretty primitive!

Actually i was gonna try my luck tweeting SNK or Neo_G or someone ... see if they could send me some of the promo pamphlets they looked to be giving out at the playtests ... i'm in Japan, but can't make it to any of the locations! I'm hoping my local stores eventually get some of the stuff, i'd love to pinch one of the vertical posters :D

Not sure what they'd think of my moves site though, since i've only got it in English!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
All the offscreen stuff looks more colorful than even their own screenshots, yeah. I hope this is an honest change to the game, rather than just camera tricks at this point. If not, I'm just turning up the Saturation on my TV... XD

Great observations, a lot of good stuff happened there.

Goro's OTG super looked sweet, it did miss when supercanceled into from his command grab but at least we have confirmation that Goro can still super cancel his command grabs.

Thanks, yours too! And yup, happy to see someone cancel a command grab. This detail seemed so under-utilized in XIII, I'm glad to see it back in this game. This should open up a lot of Advance Cancel possibilities eventually.

It looked like they were having problems comboing off lows with Yuri?
In the team trailer, she combos a light Saiha off a standing light punch. I think they're just doing the wrong followups. Watch her be able to get Hyakuretsu Binta off lights too...

Leona is very speedy, he figured out real quick with her that running under jump ins might be a more viable strategy in XIV compared to XIII.
Her mobility really seems to be a focus, and I'm of course in love with this, ha. I'm all for making what she has better, and they seem to agree. I hope it stays this way into the final builds (and doesn't get nerfed in post-release patching...)

Ralf's new wind up punch move looks like it very much will have guard points on start up. He looks like night and day compared to how he looked when first revealed.
Move like that MUST have Guardpoint! Given his mixups now, he looks more and more like a walking tank. I'm always OK with this. My brother is the Ralf main between us, and this should make him happy, as well.

Also, he mentioned on twitter that Sylvie's Climax DM has received changes so I was kind of on the lookout for other stuff. Could be wrong but this stuff seem to have received some changes:

- Luong's kick SDM now has a slow mo before the ice skater twirl looking finisher, looks much better.
- Mai has her old target combo from XIII back and the HK portion is no longer special cancellable?
I wanna see the Sylvie stuff, aye. Wonder how it changed?
Luong's EXDM always had the slow, but it only has it on clean hits, I believe. Hit with it as an anti-air or whiff it, and it just moves like 2 kicks.
I think Mai is still cancellable with the combo, but it's meant to be followed up by Musasabi no Mai, not Ryu Enbu. She needs the forward propulsion, and R'enbu kinda just stays stationary, especially the light version.

Not shown in this vid but Chin's EX roll seems to have lost its invincibility, or at the very least it's not nearly as much as XIII. You could see it exchange on hit with someone in one of Frionel's vids, this would have never happened in XIII (it was fully invincible post start up in that game).
Invincible and auto-crossup would probably be too much, I'm OK with this. And it keeps within the more specific tool method this game is exhibiting.

Love how they have nailed the old school anime kung fu girl look with Muimui, looking at her also makes me think that Kensou will lose his XIII play style. And yeah, that Karin-like command throw was funny.
Along with her Headbutt CD, I'm happy to think of her as a mix of Ranma-Chan and Kid Goku. This is perfect, I'll never have complaints, lol. I really look forward to seeing how Boy Ranma Kensou works out now, I hope he has a nice mix of XIII and classic tools.

I kinda miss High Angle Geyser and that "I am totally not ripping off Deadly Rave" super moves

I actually always found High Angle Geyser to be kinda "meh". I wouldn't mind seeing shades of it come back in EX moves, though. Star Dunk Volcano satisfies my "Power Dunk x Geyser Derivative" desires much better.

While I love deadly rave, it's basically a Ranbu, and lots of even the new characters seem to have them here. I'm happy with that, as I think SNK does the best AutocomboDance supers.

BadWolf

In the team trailer, she combos a light Saiha off a standing light punch. I think they're just doing the wrong followups. Watch her be able to get Hyakuretsu Binta off lights too...

Yeah they probably just changed stuff around a little, it just seemed kind of strange that they seemed to be having issues chaining LKs when she could do a whole bunch easily in XIII.

Her mobility really seems to be a focus, and I'm of course in love with this, ha. I'm all for making what she has better, and they seem to agree. I hope it stays this way into the final builds (and doesn't get nerfed in post-release patching...)

She deserves a little high tier status after XIII...

Move like that MUST have Guardpoint! Given his mixups now, he looks more and more like a walking tank. I'm always OK with this. My brother is the Ralf main between us, and this should make him happy, as well.

A tank is the perfect way to describe Ralf, which is why I was still kind of hoping they would give him the Ralf Tackle to really drive the point home hehe.

Also glad that they took away guard point from Clark, it always felt like more of a Ralf thing. Overall, Ralf and Clark in XIV are probably the most different they have ever been. They seem to be sharing nothing outside of one or two normals.

I wanna see the Sylvie stuff, aye. Wonder how it changed?
Luong's EXDM always had the slow, but it only has it on clean hits, I believe. Hit with it as an anti-air or whiff it, and it just moves like 2 kicks.
I think Mai is still cancellable with the combo, but it's meant to be followed up by Musasabi no Mai, not Ryu Enbu. She needs the forward propulsion, and R'enbu kinda just stays stationary, especially the light version.

Would like to see it too, the wind up was interesting but the ending to the CDM always felt kind of abrupt.

And thanks for the corrections!

JayEH

Thanks. Appreciate the work.

BadWolf

Don't think anyone has figured out a use for that new K' follow up yet.

Are you guys expecting the next team trailer to hit tonight or tomorrow?

TreIII

Don't think anyone has figured out a use for that new K' follow up yet.

Are you guys expecting the next team trailer to hit tonight or tomorrow?

...I'm going to say tomorrow. I suppose the only thing I question is if their plans may at all be altered for E3 week or not.

BadWolf

...I'm going to say tomorrow. I suppose the only thing I question is if their plans may at all be altered for E3 week or not.

Yeah looks like we are back to Thursdays for trailers.

E3 will probably mess up the rest of the week's schedule but here's hoping they have a trailer prepared for the WNF showing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ckehw73VEAIMvE8.jpg:eek:rig

It's been so many years and now we will finally hear the characters talk to each other fully voiced.

Wonder that is one of the reasons they replaced the various old VAs, since now they would not only have to make some sounds for moves but actually talk at length with the voices as well.

Hey is my understand of the KOF14 system correct?:

Super Special Moves = 1 bar
MAX Super Special Moves (Super Special Moves with 2 punch or 2 kick) = 2 bars
Climax Super Special Moves = 3 bars

Whilst in MAX mode ...
Super Special Move = no bar, consumes part of MAX gauge.... not sure on this one?
MAX Super Special Moves = 1 bar, fully depletes MAX gauge
Climax Super Special Moves = 2 bars, fully depletes MAX gauge

MAX mode activate = 1 bar
Standard activate gives full MAX gauge
Quick Activate (during attack) gives half MAX gauge.

No additional bar cost for cancelling, such as:
Cancelling Special > Super Special Move
Canceling Special > MAX Super Special Move
Canceling Special > Climax Super Special Move
Cancelling Super Special Move > Climax Super Special Move
Cancelling MAX Super Special Move > Climax Super Special Move

EX Special Moves
MAX mode only, consumes part of MAX gauge

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ckd399zUUAE599N.jpg:orig

Looks like we should get some good Gameplay at E3, WoOT.

(And "Star Dunk Volcano" is the best name ever, ha)

I hope Rakuten Books gets a PS4 theme... i preordered with them cause at the time was the cheapest!
Tbh though, just happy i'm locked in to get the art book.
I wonder if the CD from the Atlus premium edition will get it's own release in Japan?

Top Bottom