• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member876

Banned
Hopefully these are better quality then S6 DVDs. It was so weird they decided to go with dual sided DVDs for the sixth season, they were ugly and scratch magnets.

Fox Mulder

Hopefully these are better quality then S6 DVDs. It was so weird they decided to go with dual sided DVDs for the sixth season, they were ugly and scratch magnets.

i hate dual sided dvds. I've had a few defects, which suck since you may not find them immediately due to multi disk season sets. Too late to do a return on Amazon by the time I found them.

In honor of the announcement I just blitz seasons one to five (all that I can get in the UK) and on the way I made a Hank:

ltbLkR5.jpg

hpDuPUb.jpg

Wondering if I should make a mould and sell copies on Etsy. The official released toy line is very expensive now.

ElTopo

Banned
I'm going to be "that guy" but I never quite liked this show. I'd watch in my couch potato days largely because there was nothing else on and it preceded The Simpsons or Futurama. It's not a terrible show, Hank is a very good straight man character to play jokes off of. I never liked Peggy or Bobby as characters. Peggy was just annoying to me. It's the recurring naivete in addition "I can do anything!" attitude that annoys me I guess. A cliched character that never actually feels like a real person but is not funny or OTT enough to be entertaining. Bobby is just whatever the script requires of him. He's eccentric and wants to be prop comedian, that's about as much depth as he gets. For the most part he's just an average kid who serves the purpose of setting up a joke.

Now, Hanks friends are great characters. Episodes that center around the friends tend to be pretty good episodes. I like the one where they become volunteer firefighters and the one where they spend a night in a Wal Mart (I know it's not called Wal Mart in the show, but I forget the official name). These characters are hilarious and seeing them interact with Hank or other far less funny characters pays off.

It really sucks (for me) that this replaced Futurama on Adult Swim.

Mossybrew

Recently cut the cord and got rid of cable - the one thing I really miss is my nightly King of The Hill on Adult Swim. Dang it Bobby!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I'm going to be "that guy" but I never quite liked this show. I'd watch in my couch potato days largely because there was nothing else on and it preceded The Simpsons or Futurama. It's not a terrible show, Hank is a very good straight man character to play jokes off of. I never liked Peggy or Bobby as characters. Peggy was just annoying to me. It's the recurring naivete in addition "I can do anything!" attitude that annoys me I guess. A cliched character that never actually feels like a real person but is not funny or OTT enough to be entertaining. Bobby is just whatever the script requires of him. He's eccentric and wants to be prop comedian, that's about as much depth as he gets. For the most part he's just an average kid who serves the purpose of setting up a joke.

Now, Hanks friends are great characters. Episodes that center around the friends tend to be pretty good episodes. I like the one where they become volunteer firefighters and the one where they spend a night in a Wal Mart (I know it's not called Wal Mart in the show, but I forget the official name). These characters are hilarious and seeing them interact with Hank or other far less funny characters pays off.

It really sucks (for me) that this replaced Futurama on Adult Swim.

For me, there is something really special about Peggy. She might be my favorite TV character ever. I love her confidence, how she jokes around with Bobby, her bad Spanish, and her statements that make no sense if you think about them, and she is always hilarious to me.

Oh Peggy, when I can't watch King of the Hill, I miss you the most.
Peggy_Hill.jpg

What really makes the gif is after Dale puts the sticker on the truck, he just puts his hand on the back of his head and relaxes. Does he jump up and run? Nope, and that's what makes that scene funny.

I really didn't like how some of the characters progressed in the later seasons. Dale became all jolly and happy with a smile. I missed the scary, paranoid, no facial expression Dale.

Ogodei

Recently cut the cord and got rid of cable - the one thing I really miss is my nightly King of The Hill on Adult Swim. Dang it Bobby!

I'm going in the other direction (Comcast gave me an offer for $3 more per month to add cable, faster internet, and HBO Go. Listening to those sales pitches pays off once in a while), and nightly KOTH is the one thing i'm looking forward to the most.

"Yep it'll be a great new tradition, Christmas with the Niefkos"

SnNCiyq.jpg

Since July 4th is coming up

Texas, USA, police no break down doors say, "Come to Army now. Now you shot." Here, kids walk to school; is good school! God bless you builders of house and driveway! God bless America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom