• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ЯAW

Banned
Definitely a slight dip in quality for the later seasons although I thought the last season had some amazing episodes.
I think later seasons shared lot with Simpsons seasons 8-10. Few real gems and few bum episodes, but overall it was fairly consistent. After Daniels involvement got smaller and smaller, you could see that they weren't all that interested developing the characters, nor write decent stories for side characters. Connie and Minh faded almost completely towards the end. Show also got more formulaic, it was basically about Hank being common sense man fighting against new trends and fads. Still, as I said, it was a good show with real gems here and there and even at it's worst it was good. I think it was good decision pull the plug while we could still call it a good show.

Second episode of the series is on Adult Swim right now. Early KOTH blows. All the humor is derived from how much of small-minded, conservative jerk Hank is instead of when they hit the sweet spot of him being a well-meaning, uptight traditionalist.

Second episode of the series is on Adult Swim right now. Early KOTH blows. All the humor is derived from how much of small-minded, conservative jerk Hank is instead of when they hit the sweet spot of him being a well-meaning, uptight traditionalist.

Ehh.. blows is kind of strong don't you think? There are more than a handful I love keeping in rotation on repeat viewings. Keeping up with our Joneses, Luanne's Saga, Hank's Unmentionable Problem, Plastic White Female, and even the pilot are some of the best (albeit rough) episodes in the series. Yeah Hank is a bit more short-fused and close minded, but he's still written very well in the same character driven scenarios that the show was best at. It also has one of the best hank moments:

UCUnkVY.png

Teacher: F. That means you failed

U0YUtmY.png

*Luanne crying*

OxhwU8Y.png

uyWMA1A.png

what a bitch.

jgmo870

Banned
Ehh.. blows is kind of strong don't you think? There are more than a handful I love keeping in rotation on repeat viewings. Keeping up with our Joneses, Luanne's Saga, Hank's Unmentionable Problem, Plastic White Female, and even the pilot are some of the best (albeit rough) episodes in the series. Yeah Hank is a bit more short-fused and close minded, but he's still written very well in the same character driven scenarios that the show was best at. It also has one of the best hank moments:

Plastic White Female is one of the best episodes in the series.

HANK: Just so you know, most states won't let you marry a plastic head.
BOBBY: I don't want to marry it! I just needed to practice my first kiss so I don't look like an idiot.
HANK: You're kissing a plastic head, and you're afraid of looking like an idiot?

What the fuck? I think Adult Swim just censored one of my favorite jokes in the show.

"Ever since the explosion, every song I play sounds like Feel So Good."
"Maybe that's because it does 'Feel So Good' to be alive."
"No, that's not it."

They removed the last line. I wasn't looking at the screen, but I heard silence, like they just cut the audio.

What the fuck? I think Adult Swim just censored one of my favorite jokes in the show.

"No, that's not it."

They removed the last line. I wasn't looking at the screen, but I heard silence, like they just cut the audio.

It might be a time constraint thing. I remember once Simpsons cut the "you don't make friends with salad" joke after Homer and Bart exit the screen. Really sucks to get the build up for a joke you know is coming up, only for it to be cut.

"No, that's not it."

Hmm, I have read before that Adult Swim has censored some parts of King of the Hill. Let me dig up the quote...

F.Edit:

from TVTropes (scroll down to "Bowdlerization + Edited for Syndication")
TVTropes said:
In the original version of "Joust Like a Woman," a teen at the Renaissance Faire calls King Phillip "gay" (in the insulting context meaning "lame or stupid," which has come under fire for being politically incorrect). This scene was edited for a time on [adult swim] around the time that anti-gay bullying (and the resulting suicides) become a big issue. As of February 2012, this scene has been reinstated.
Hank muttering "Jesus Christ!" as he watches Bill down the entire platter of hot dogs on the episode where Bill becomes a competitive eater was muted on [adult swim].

Adult Swim is kind of weird with their censoring, in that, if they censor something in a show that's not really objectionable, but maybe for other reasons, they'll mute it out instead of bleeping it out. I remember on Futurama, when Farnsworth would say "Sweet zombie Jesus", the "Jesus" was just silence.

(The weirdest thing they've done was mute out a bleeped curse in an episode of Family Guy, which was part of a Robot Chicken joke... but yeah.)

lush

People have been posting that kind of stuff since the show got removed. I think that's the Netflix CSR's default answer to any questions about removed content.

Talk about the glory days though, never knew how good I had it. I'm just holding out for a bluray bundle at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom