• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiSTM

Banned
I just realised that FOX is airing last King of the Hill episode today. I thought we should pay our respect for this great show. King of the Hill delivered quality entertainment for 13 years and it's coming to end now :( Share your fond memories of the show with us and let's reminisce awesomeness of Hank Hill and he's family and firends.

Post your favorite quotes and hopefully pictures in style of ITT: We post screens that showcase the visual charisma lost by modern Simpsons Of course visual charsima was never lost in KotH. But it would nice to see some great scenes and quotes posted here.

If you don't have anything good to say about the show then don't say it !!!

kamcky.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Awesome show. I kinda fell out of watching it about halfway through the series but have really picked it back up again with the last couple seasons. Helps that there are reruns on every night now too. I went and picked up the first 2 seasons on DVD and am slowly making my way through them. First 2 seasons are still really funny.

CiSTM

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
Awesome show. I kinda fell out of watching it about halfway through the series but have really picked it back up again with the last couple seasons. Helps that there are reruns on every night now too. I went and picked up the first 2 seasons on DVD and am slowly making my way through them. First 2 seasons are still really funny.

First season is kinda hard to get in but it has some really good episodes. Second season is already pure gold ;) Fishing with crack and whatnot.

Duck Amuck said:
The episode where Hank is molested by the dolphin is my fave.

Yeah, it's really funny.

Hank and Luanne talking about the rape afterwards -->

HANK: Luanne, you and I have a secret which we must take to our graves.
LUANNE: Are you threatening to kill me, Uncle Hank?
HANK: (after a long pause): Of course not.

other quotes from Return to La Grunta

LUANNE: I've noticed that Uncle Hank doesn't wear any jewelry, so I'm going to get him some jewelry.
DALE: That's not what he needs. I know a man who can remove Hank's fingerprints for him. But believe me, pay the extra and get the fifty-dollar job.

BILL: You know, me and Hank used to go bowling. I'd tell people we were brothers, and he was better than me but sometimes he'd let me win, and we'd stay out all night, and so maybe if you got him another bowling ball, it'd be like before Peggy came.

PEGGY: Bobby, honey, what happened to mixing capers with one of your fruit pies?
BOBBY: That was a big disappointment. I'd rather not talk about it.

:lol Bobby sure loves he's fruit pies

Darko

13 years? holy shit.. I kinda stopped watching the show for a while then got back into it recently, its still as good as it was day 1.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
it's just superb. i've said it so many times before, but the show succeeds by keeping its scenarios mundane and relying on a core set of very funny relationship dynamics that always deliver, largely because they're so consistent. this makes for some of the series' funnier interactions, especially between hank and bobby; it subverts what you expect to happen in a traditional sitcom by making everyone keep believing pretty much what they believed when the episode started. hank hates soccer, and will not like soccer by episode's end. when bobby wants to be a male model in a plus-sized boys' fashion show, hank's seemingly crass decision to pull him out turns out to be the right call, even if it doesn't seem so.

maybe that's a great way to sum up why king of the hill is so great, and always has been: it carries in it the power to be both completely consistent, yet totally surprising and funny.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
[hank walks in on bobby clutching a cheerleading uniform in his room]

hank:. . . there better be a naked cheerleader under that bed.

Blader

The two-parter where the Mega-Lo-Mart blows up has always been my favorite episode.

And I love this quote, it pops into my head all the time:

Bill: I want to hear "Puff the Magic Dragon". Play that song, I like it, play it... "Puff the Magic Dragon"!
Hank: Bill, do you have any idea what that song is about? It's about a dragon.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that's the one where he's eating lutefisk and ends up accidentally burning the church down, right? "revenge of the lutefisk." very funny stuff.

CiSTM

Banned
Just one episode before I hit the bed. This is also my favorite from season one.

The Order of the straight arrow.

Hank: My Lord ! That's a whooping crane.
Dale: There is only five of those left in the world. (long pause) well, four now.
Bill: Then we should be thankful we got the opportunity to see one.
fe4ar5.jpg

RANGER: Sir, you lied to me, you lied to this little boy
jg4ffk.jpg

and I don't know what you did to this gentleman in his underwear!
2n7kmc.jpg

etiolate

Banned
In a culture that separates American cultures and just mocks the other side, King of the Hill still managed to respect that which it had a laugh with. Which is why it never got just outright dumb. It was an insider laughing at itself.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
not since SEINFELD has a comedy gone out on such a high note. this is even more notable, as it ends 13 years of wonderful television.

smoke 'em if you got 'em, boys. clean burning fuel only.

taste the meat, not the heat.

CiSTM

Banned
Bpatrol said:
Fantastic show, love it to death. But I'm pretty sure tonight isn't the last episode, thankfully.

Season 13 has 22 episodes but only 13 will be aired. If there hasn't been any changes in the plan then todays episode will be last. EDIT: Yep, tv.com says it's last episode and there isn't any news from fox that says otherwise.

"Fox announced the cancellation of King of the Hill on October 30, 2008, stating that they had made the final order of 13 episodes."

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'll definitely say this is the greatest animated show of all time...possibly even TV show. 13 seasons of absolute quality. I can't think of many shows that even lasted half that amount.

I've been going through my seasons 2-4 now ^_^

CiSTM

Banned
shintoki said:
I'll definitely say this is the greatest animated show of all time...possibly even TV show. 13 seasons of absolute quality. I can't think of many shows that even lasted half that amount.

I've been going through my seasons 2-4 now ^_^

Watch them on your computer and take screens :) It makes this thread more lively :lol

I appreciated King of the Hill when it was released, but not nearly as much as I do now. I'm glad Adult Swim picked it up. It's been good to go back and rediscover the series and see why it's so highly praised around here. The show deserves it all, too.

CiSTM

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
I appreciated King of the Hill when it was released, but not nearly as much as I do now. I'm glad Adult Swim picked it up. It's been good to go back and rediscover the series and see why it's so highly praised around here. The show deserves it all, too.

And if it's possible go and buy seasons 1-6 on dvd. Maybe fox needs only one more buy to convince them to release rest of the show on dvd :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Night_Trekker said:
I agree. There are so many episodes I missed on first airing. I love being able to see all the episodes I missed.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I liked the start of the series when Hank was all paranoid/anxious and kinda angry. Now I hate it since he's all preachy and uses the word asinine so much, since he used to be said way.

Phoenix

KOTH is one of the most under appreciated and under-rated shows on TV. It has strong complex and meaningful stories and plots and never devolves the way that The Simpsons and Family Guy did.

I hope that someone has enough sense to keep it going.

Phoenix

"I'm with Cupid" remains one of my favorite episodes of KOTH.

KOTH-1.png

BOBBY: Connie don't hang up, I've got your favorite chocolates right here... assorted... the ones you love so much.

BOBBY: Why can't you love me the way you love these assorted chocolates?!?

KOTH-2.png

BOBBY: I'm sweet on you Connie!

KOTH-3.png

BOBBY: I'm your little candy maaaannnnn......

<Connie hangs up and closes blinds>

BOBBY: Nooooooooo.....

<Bobby slides down window smearing chocolate on the way down>

KOTH-4.png

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
hankhill.jpg

Hank: "Bobby, I didn't want to have to tell you this, but I'd be a bad parent if I didn't. soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

Bobby: "Dad, why do you hate what you don't understand?"

Hank: "I don't hate you, Bobby!"

Bobby: "I meant soccer."

Hank: "Oh. oh, yeah. I hate soccer, yes."

The end of the episode when Dale's mower is stolen is one of the most beautifully constructed moments in half-hour comedy. It's hilarious and touching at the same time, with really good use of color contrast for atmosphere, too.

This exchange at the end is amazing:

DALE: I'll never forget you, Hank. I will bury you in my backyard. I'll dedicate my life to propane. And don't you worry about Peggy -- I'll keep Bill away from her.
HANK: I'm fine, Dale, but if you're serious about the propane, I've got some pamphlets --
DALE: You're fine! You were wearing a bulletproof vest. You thought I was gonna shoot you.
HANK: Well, that or spray me with poisonous chemicals. I thought you'd kill yourself right after.
DALE: I would have, too.

Some other touching moments are the end of the episode where Bill tries to kill himself and then snaps out of it. Stephen Root voices that monologue at the end beautifully; it's a shame he doesn't get more prominent film work, as he's one of the finest character actors out there. And the entire episode where Cotton runs out of money and has to work at some shitty restaurant job on veteran's day. The assumed suicide sequence is terrific.

Another moment that comes to mind is when Buck wakes up from a drunken car crash at the shop at 6 in the morning, thinking it's sunset, and Hank is outside wiping the tanks, top to bottom, telling Buck that it's a safety thing. Buck pauses and says, "Yeah, I taught you that," and it's a really tender moment. Another example of Stephen Root's brilliance.

Fucking tragedy it's going off the air, but man, seasons 2 - 6 are basically perfect, and why I think the show on the whole is the best primetime cartoon ever. It also has the potential to be really dramatically effective even though it's largely a comedy because its characters are so consistent and fleshed-out. Seth MacFarlane needs to watch it so he can understand the benefits of just writing decent characters. Even a cartoon comedy needs to put characters first, or the jokes have no emotional punch. They're just jokes.

pinkbunny

Aristotlekh said:
Seth MacFarlane needs to watch it so he can understand the benefits of just writing decent characters. Even a cartoon comedy needs to put characters first, or the jokes have no emotional punch. They're just jokes.

There's a good majority of people that make a face when you mention KOTH. They approach the show wrong, you have to go in with an open mind. You can't expect rapid fire humor because that's how the Simpsons is.

Random question, Do any KOTH fans here find American Dad much more satisfying than Family Guy?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
CiSTM said:
I just realised that FOX is airing last King of the Hill episode today. I thought we should pay our respect for this great show. King of the Hill delivered quality entertainment for 13 years and it's coming to end now :( Share your fond memories of the show with us and let's reminisce awesomeness of Hank Hill and he's family and friends.

Where are we hearing that this is the last episode? I know fox doesn't advertise it much, but I find it hard to believe they wouldn't mention that it's the last episode in the TV ads I saw over the week. Wikipedia also seems to think there will be 2 more episodes, bringing the total episode count to an even 250.

King of the Hill is one of my favorite shows. I remember watching the very first episode with my dad and even for as oddball as it was I found it hilarious.

Dale: I know what's wrong with it, it's a Ford. You know what "Ford" stands for don't ya? F Stands for "Fix It Again, Tony."
Hank: You're thinking of a Fiat, Dale.
Dale: Fix...it...again?

Dale: That's code for U.N. commissars telling Americans what the temperature's going to be in our outdoors. I say let the world warm up, let's see what Boutros Boutros Ghali Ghali has to say about that. We'll grow oranges in Alaska!
Hank: Dale, you giblet-head, we live in Texas! It's already 110 in the summer, and if it gets one degree hotter, I'm going to kick your ass!

Dale: Could be far-off helicopters...U.N helicopters.

Phoenix

pinkbunny said:
There's a good majority of people that make a face when you mention KOTH. They approach the show wrong, you have to go in with an open mind. You can't expect rapid fire humor because that's how the Simpsons is.

Random question, Do any KOTH fans here find American Dad much more satisfying than Family Guy?

I find American Dad to be more satisfying than what Family Guy became "post return", and I find it to be about par for what Family Guy was before being returned to Fox.

Blader

Phoenix said:
I find American Dad to be more satisfying than what Family Guy became "post return", and I find it to be about par for what Family Guy was before being returned to Fox.

Exactly how I feel.

I was 14, just a little older than Bobby. But I knew Uncle Sam needed me, so I lied and signed up. We had beat the Nazzys in Italy, and they shipped me to the Pacific theater. A Tojo torpedo sent our troop ship to the bottom. I could only save three of my buddies: Fatty, Stinky, and Brooklyn. They were kind of like you fellas [to Bill, Dale, and Boomhauer], only one of them was from Brooklyn. Out of the sun came a Tojo Zero and put fitty bullets in my back. The blood attracted sharks. I had to give 'em Fatty. Then things took a turn for the worse. I made it to an island, but it was full of Tojos! They were spitting on the U.S. flag! So I rushed 'em, but it was a trap. They opened fire and blew my shins off. Last thing I remember, I beat 'em all to death with a big piece of Fatty. I woke up in a field hospital, and they were sewing my feet to my knees.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Blader5489 said:
Exactly how I feel.
Ditto for me too.

I always watched and liked King of the Hill, but watching it now I appreciate and enjoy the humor not only because its always been so well written but because they never changed their approach to it. Besides the animation you really can put on any episode from any season and be hard pressed to tell which season it came from.

Some of my favorite quotes:
"I blame the media blamers"

"Thats what these environmentalists should be doing; finding ways to use nature against other forms of nature that inconvenience man"

"Dale, you saved my son, I guess that makes us even for you ruining my yard. Wait of course that makes us even"

"Minh, come quickly hillbilly about to marry cousin, you owe me five dolla"

Blader

Come on, no love for the Mega-lo-mart blows up episode?

Dale: So, Quincy, find anything yet?
Investigator: Not yet, sir.
Dale: Ha! That's what they want you to believe!
Investigator: Sir. We are 'they'.
Dale: Gah!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CiSTM said:
Season 13 has 22 episodes but only 13 will be aired. If there hasn't been any changes in the plan then todays episode will be last. EDIT: Yep, tv.com says it's last episode and there isn't any news from fox that says otherwise.

"Fox announced the cancellation of King of the Hill on October 30, 2008, stating that they had made the final order of 13 episodes."
By that logic this is the last episode of the Simpsons this week too: http://www.tv.com/the-simpsons/show/146/summary.html

As for why its not on Fox's list that's just because Fox's PR only sends out the schedule 2 weeks ahead of time. Since the next KotH shouldn't air until April or May, it obviously won't be on the schedule: http://foxflash.com/div.php/main/page?aID=1z4&mo=4

And speaking of Fox's publicity, their PR actually reiterates that the show will reach 250 episodes this season which means there are at least 2 more episodes left: http://foxflash.com/div.php/main/page?aID=1z2z2z92z13z3

So this wasn't the final episode ;)

Sanjuro

grandjedi6 said:
By that logic this is the last episode of the Simpsons this week too: http://www.tv.com/the-simpsons/show/146/summary.html

As for why its not on Fox's list that's just because Fox's PR only sends out the schedule 2 weeks ahead of time. Since the next KotH shouldn't air until April or May, it obviously won't be on the schedule: http://foxflash.com/div.php/main/page?aID=1z4&mo=4

And speaking of Fox's publicity, their PR actually reiterates that the show will reach 250 episodes this season which means there are at least 2 more episodes left: http://foxflash.com/div.php/main/page?aID=1z2z2z92z13z3

So this wasn't the final episode ;)
Yes, the next episode should air May or later. This is Fox we are talking about, they won't let a senior show die without any fanfare for a final ratings draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom