• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bwahah, that's the one.

Lionel Mandrake said:
Fun fact: A pilot was filmed for a live-action spin-off of Monsignor Martinez, but it never aired.
Aw what? That would have been awesome. Bah!

maxxpower

My favorite show ever, it's such a shame that Fox will never release the remaining season dvds. Also, Dale Gribble is the greatest tv character ever.

Edit: Or should I say, Rusty Schackleford.

I LOVE this show. it was my most favorite thing to come home to after work, exactly at 9pm i would start to watch it and fall asleep to the beginning of the second episode

It's such a subtle humor, it deals with everyday situations and just makes them to be ridiculous. A less pretentious social commentary than American Beauty, if you will

Dascu said:
I really loved the first six seasons of KotH, but some of the earlier episodes of season seven didn't really manage to grab me. Does the show's quality tumble, only to never recover, or is it just a temporary drop? Are there any episodes in the later seasons that are worth watching anyway?

I'd say over 13 seasons, the show was amazingly consistent. There were a few more "topical" episodes as it went on, but it never really declined in quality, just occasionally shifted tone.

Season 7 alone has:
The Texas Skil Saw Massacre- Hank accidentally cuts off Dale's finger with a saw, and is forced to attend anger management.
Full Metal Dusk Jacket- Peggie opens a book store and has to let Dale open a gun shop in the back to pay for the lease.
An Officer and a Gentle Boy- Bobby goes to Cotton's old military school.
The Miseducation of Bobby Hill- Hank tanks Bobby to work at Strickland, but Bobby starts taking lessons from Joe Jack instead. Meanwhile, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer tie some weather balloons to a lawn chair.
Racist Dawg- Ladybird shows hostility to a handyman (Bernie Mac) who claims that the dog is racist.
The Witches of East Arlen- One of my favorite episodes ever. Bobby starts to hang out with some nerds who teach him to ways of "magick"... with a "k."

And from there, you have Brad Pitt guest-starring as Boomhauer's brother, Bobby joining a hardcore church youth group, Ben Stiller sexually harassing Hank, Hank having to join a yoga class led by Johnny Depp, Bill joining a men's choir, and so on.

ah man what's that episode with the couch that they keep hiding so it doesn't get thrown out? and then bobby hill cries on it for like 5 days straight and ruins it?

:lol

Dascu

Lionel Mandrake said:
I'd say over 13 seasons, the show was amazingly consistent. There were a few more "topical" episodes as it went on, but it never really declined in quality, just occasionally shifted tone.

Season 7 alone has:
The Texas Skil Saw Massacre- Hank accidentally cuts off Dale's finger with a saw, and is forced to attend anger management.
Full Metal Dusk Jacket- Peggie opens a book store and has to let Dale open a gun shop in the back to pay for the lease.
An Officer and a Gentle Boy- Bobby goes to Cotton's old military school.
The Miseducation of Bobby Hill- Hank tanks Bobby to work at Strickland, but Bobby starts taking lessons from Joe Jack instead. Meanwhile, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer tie some weather balloons to a lawn chair.
Racist Dawg- Ladybird shows hostility to a handyman (Bernie Mac) who claims that the dog is racist.
The Witches of East Arlen- One of my favorite episodes ever. Bobby starts to hang out with some nerds who teach him to ways of "magick"... with a "k."

And from there, you have Brad Pitt guest-starring as Boomhauer's brother, Bobby joining a hardcore church youth group, Ben Stiller sexually harassing Hank, Hank having to join a yoga class led by Johnny Depp, Bill joining a men's choir, and so on.

Alright, guess I'll keep watching then.

From "The Accidental Terrorist," the episode in which Hank discovers his car salesman for the last 25 years has been suckering him.

Peggy, to Hank: Well, I am just glad you did not drive my car through his ass. I didn’t know how you were going to do that, but you sounded serious.

Marvie_3

Banned
Alpha-Bromega said:
ah man what's that episode with the couch that they keep hiding so it doesn't get thrown out? and then bobby hill cries on it for like 5 days straight and ruins it?

:lol
"And They Call It Bobby Love" from Season 3

CiSTM

Banned
Dascu said:
Alright, guess I'll keep watching then.
starting from s. 7 and onward the show goes bit out there with the plots every now and then but the classical elements are still there. all the seasons also have more then plenty of down to earth/traditional hill family and friend stories. s13 is must see since there is lots of remenescing the past with subtle remarks from past seasons.

such an underrated great show. From the geniuses who brought us beavis and butthead and the american version of the Office. How could it not be good?

It's the little things that get me in this show - like Hank taking his responsibilities as the guy seated in the airplane emergency exit row deathly serious.

CiSTM

Banned
watching one of my favorites The Trouble With Gribbles.

8AR4M.jpg

DALE: Mr. Gribble, I hold in my hand People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People" issue. Are you familiar with this Time-Warner publication?

50qJV.jpg

- No.

8saUH.jpg

- May I remind you that you are under oath

4rbyT.jpg

and that the subscription label bears the name of your optometrist?

wRIF0.jpg

I'll ask you again, are you familiar with this Time-Warner publication? edit.screw the re-sizing

6XKRC.png

JU129.png

dCqZu.png

HiwCK.png

oV61V.png

bMYSn.png

b35pz.png

3Qa8i.png

- Possibly.

mbO4R.png

LAWYER: Objection! How is this relevant?

UMBif.png

DALE: Your honor, I intend to establish the witness's impossibly high standard of beauty.

df5Mz.png

JUDGE: I'll allow it,

mrBip.png

but I want to see where this is going. Sit still and get on with it.

At7UH.png

DALE: Thank you, your honor. Mr. Gribble, turning to page 16 of this magazine, can you identify the individual pictured thereon?

tEmrO.png

- Jennifer Aniston.

UN7I5.png

- Do you or do you not find her beautiful?

L7iPS.png

- The really hot girl next door, yeah.

BRRRi.png

Beautiful, no.

- Page 19, Denise Richards.

- I cannot get past her wretched acting to see any beauty.

- Mira Sorvino? Mina Suvari? Chloe Sevigny?

- Speak English, please.

- Cindy Crawford?

- Mole!

- Very well, then: Julia Roberts.

- A horse is a horse, of course of course.

ONCOt.png

- Are you telling this court, under oath, that you find none of these women beautiful?

JCjAl.png

Are you...

D3oPE.png

a homosexual?

J3sAF.png

- Noooooooo!!!

RFcKn.png

- You cannot have it both ways, Mr. Gribble! Either you are a homosexual, or the most beautiful woman in the world is in this magazine.

jsVlk.png

- The most beautiful woman...
UeM5U.png

in the world is in this courtroom.

TuGZh.png

COURTROOM: Gasp.

o00Nl.png

DALE: She is right over there.

vPKon.png

AIN11.png

PEGGY: Oh.

IJINX.png

DALE: Not you,
o2ZT2.png

the prettier woman next to you.

BvsLw.png

UlH0g.png

pyWcA.png

Would the woman in the sunglasses and hat please remove her sunglasses? And hat?

hY4tl.png

0yJtg.png

- Do you know this woman?

dj75r.png

- She is my wife. She is my lover.
ERsM6.png

She is the mother of my child.
3mRCO.png

She is my raisin de tray.

cJIeZ.png

- But is she beautiful?
w0nP0.png

Your honor, please direct the witness to answer the question.

LbqVe.png

JUDGE: May I remind the witness and his "attorney" that the entire basis of his damage claim rests upon his wife's appearance.
5kbHd.png

One of you answer the question!

xUrYf.png

DALE: She is the most beautiful woman in the world to me, and I want her back more than anything. If anything, I owe Manitoba money for the loveliness my second-hand smoke has bestowed upon my Nancy.

As a Texas sports fan one of my favorite lines comes from when they go to a Houston Texans pre-season game and Hank says: "An all Texas Superbowl...your will be done, Lord."

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Peggy Hill is my absolute favorite character on any TV show. She cracks me up. It helps that my mom is a spanish teacher.

CiSTM

Banned
Hills travelling to New Orleans and stopped for some directions.

PTHN9.png

vY8CO.png

i6iQk.png

*speaking cajun to each other
nF6ru.png

HANK: He's speaking some kind of French.
adB8G.png

PEGGY: Let me handle this. I speak Spanish. It's the same thing.
5Qzfo.png

Hey, senor. DIGAME LA DIRECCIONES A la casa de los dauterives, por favor.
djFwg.png

Hkw5Q.png

He wants a tip.

edit. whole scene is also in youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdBkW8jirRQ

lush

When the hell is Fox going to release the rest of the seasons on DVD? It's absolutely pathetic that we've yet to get a proper box set, especially for a show that has 13/14 seasons and a decent following. The day that baby does go on sale though will be a glorious day.

Easily one of my favorite shows of all time, a good comedy for people of all ages to enjoy. Great characters as well. Praise Mike Judge.

Probably too many favorites to list, but my quick favorite episodes would be "Bobby Goes Nuts", "A Beer Can Named Desire", and "A Firefighting We Will Go".

Marvie_3

Banned
lush said:
When the hell is Fox going to release the rest of the seasons on DVD? It's absolutely pathetic that we've yet to get a proper box set, especially for a show that has 13/14 seasons and a decent following. The day that baby does go on sale though will be a glorious day.
Not soon enough. I have the first 6 seasons but I'd love to have them all. Hopefully they just say fuck it and release a box set with the entire series.

CiSTM

Banned
lush said:

Easily one of my favorite shows of all time, a good comedy for people of all ages to enjoy. Great characters as well. Praise Mike Judge.

Probably too many favorites to list, but my quick favorite episodes would be "Bobby Goes Nuts", "A Beer Can Named Desire", and "A Firefighting We Will Go".
Both in Top 10 for me. Two things I really like on this show that i have just noticed.

1. continuity of the jokes in episodes. there are small insignificant dialogues/jokes now and then but later on they expand those dialogues/jokes a bit and they form into well written jokes.

2. Facial expressions. They are not fun or goofy like in Simpsons but they always fit scenes and conveys the emotions so well. Many times the characters answers just with expression of their face and it works so well.

lush

Chose favorite episode from each season. Probably not the best list, I did have a hard time choosing one on a few of the seasons. The series has alot of great episodes. Season 3 seems like it was tops for me.

Keeping Up With Our Joneses(S1E10)
When Hank catches Bobby smoking a cigarette, he punishes him by forcing him to smoke an entire carton. The plan backfires when Bobby begins, while Hank and Peggy resume, an addiction to processed tobacco.

Death of a Propane Salesman(S2E23)
Part one of two. Strickland Propane closes its doors after Mega-Lo-Mart begins selling propane for cheap, leaving Hank out of a job—and putting him into one that he despises.

A-Firefighting We Will Go(S3E10)
In a Rashomon-style story, Hank, Dale, Bill, and Boomhauer tell their own versions of their day as firefighters after getting arrested for burning the firehouse to the ground. Meanwhile, Peggy pulls a groin muscle and Bobby helps her recover.

A Beer Can Named Desire(S4E6)
Hank wins an Alamo Beer contest for a chance to win a million dollars by throwing a football through a one-foot hole in a giant Alamo Beer can, while Bill visits his eccentric Cajun relatives in Louisiana.

The Trouble With Gribbles(S5E18)
When Nancy turns 40, the television station replaces her with Luanne, who is much younger. This leads to Nancy telling Dale that she wants a facelift. Dale plans to pay for it by filing suit against the makers of his favorite brand, Manitoba Cigarettes ("Manitoba is the brand to smoke, you'll enjoy it toke for toke..."), claiming that second-hand smoke has made his Nancy unattractive. This results in Dale being both counter-sued and estranged from Nancy.

Bobby Goes Nuts(S6E1)
After getting attacked at a slumber party by Chane Wassonasong, Hank lets Bobby sign up for a boxing class at the YMCA, but Bobby ends up taking a women's self-defense course, where Bobby is taught to attack his aggressors by kicking them in the groin. This results in him kicking Hank in the groin.

Dances With Dogs(S7E5)
Bobby and Hank use Ladybird to compete in a dog dancing contest. Meanwhile, Bill is tricked into buying an ill-tempered Rottweiler from an animal shelter.

Livin' On Reds, Vitamin C, and Propane(S7E8)
Hank needs to take some antique furniture to his mother in Arizona, so he rents an 18-wheeler and takes Bobby on a road trip (with Dale, Bill and Boomhauer stowing away). Meanwhile, Peggy and Luanne try to write a Christmas novelty song.

A Rover Runs Through It(S9E1)
The Hills travel to Montana to visit Peggy's mother. There, they find out the family is losing the ranch to Henry Winkler because of high property taxes.

Church Hopping(S10E11)
When the Hill family finds out that their pew of many years has been given away to another family at church, they abandon their staid Methodist church and come about to worship at a new megachurch.

Grand Theft Arlen(S11E8)
Hank protests against a new school program that lets failing gym students play video games--and becomes addicted to Pro-Pain, a Grand Theft Auto knockoff centered on propane and featuring Hank as the protagonist. Meanwhile, Bobby trains for the Presidential Physical Fitness Test.

Lady and Gentrification(S12E14)
Peggy inadvertently ruins Enrique's life when she sells a house in Enrique's neighborhood to a hipster (voiced by Dax Shepard) who invites his hipster friends over to live in the same neighborhood. Meanwhile, Hank is asked to speak at Enrique's daughter's Quinceaños celebration.

Serves Me Right For Giving General George S. Patton the Bathroom Key(S13E15)
Hank receives a special delivery of his recently deceased father's personal belongings, including a list of bizarre final requests—one of which calls for Hank to flush Cotton's ashes in the toilet of a bar once used by General George S. Patton. Meanwhile, Dale and Bill bicker over an empty beer can Dale discarded in Bill's yard and will not pick up.

Honorable Mentions:

Hilloween(S2E4)
Next of Shin(S3E5)
Good Will Hunting(S3E8)
Pretty, Pretty Dresses(S3E9)
Escape From Party Island(S3E17)
Hank's Cowboy Movie(S3E19)
Cotton's Plot(S4E2)
The Exterminator(S5E14)
Goodbye Normal Jeans(S7E4)
Mutual of Omabwah(S9E8)

Celsior

Peggy is by far a bad character but she does have some great episodes around her.

The Introduction of Lucky was a fucking joke. Character was so pointless.

Celsior said:
Peggy is by far a bad character but she does have some great episodes around her.

The Introduction of Lucky was a fucking joke. Character was so pointless.
I'm not the biggest fan of Lucky, but he has definitely had his moments.

lush

"In my opinion, the day after Thanksgiving is one of the busiest shopping days of the year."

People hating on Peggy, c'mon now. You're supposed to laugh at her when she screws up and shows how stupid and naive she really is. She's still a great mother and wife to Bobby and Hank. Luanne is the main character I never cared much for, same with Lucky. I'll agree that Lucky did have his moments though, as did Luanne, but the increased focus on those two characters hurt that last couple of seasons though.

CiSTM

Banned
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I had no idea Chuck Mangeoni or however you spell his name is a real person.
For the longest time neither did I and it really blew my mind when I found out he was the man behind "feels so good".

Jason's Ultimatum said:

w...t...f... my mind is blown.

One more reason I love this show. Hank's reactions to Chuck were always hilarious.

Another reason to love KotH is how impressionable Bobby is. Throughout the show's history Bobby has immitated people he met, like that guy Luanne dated, Rad.

Bobby walks into the kitchen......

Bobby: Hey, Mom, dad, got it going on?
Hank: I've got what going on what?

Jason's Ultimatum said:
A friend of mine met him in person. I didn't know him back then, but I would've asked him to call Chuck "Chick" Mangione.

In my opinion, it's the most consistently funny animated television show ever. It's also occasionally touching. I love how the show almost always is able to tell a good story.

My favorite character is probably Gilbert. Bill's flamboyant cousin from New Orleans.

BILL: I don't get it. Why would Bug be in a gay rodeo?

HANK: Well, the guy's 60 -- maybe he couldn't cut it on the regular circuit. It's like those guys who have to play European basketball, or Canadian football.

One of my all time favorite Hank quotes. His delivery of that just makes me laugh so hard.

Marvie_3

Banned
MattPeters said:
BILL: I don't get it. Why would Bug be in a gay rodeo?

HANK: Well, the guy's 60 -- maybe he couldn't cut it on the regular circuit. It's like those guys who have to play European basketball, or Canadian football.

One of my all time favorite Hank quotes. His delivery of that just makes me laugh so hard.
One of the best lines in the series. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom