• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvie_3

Banned
lush said:
Also I don't think anyone's touched on how underrated Dooley is
char_11494.jpg
Dooley is indeed awesome.

"I peed in a kid's locker"

lush

21kwjl4.jpg

Bill: There were so many Hanks, I didn't know which one to listen to.

Oh and the obligatory, "Taste the meat, and the heat."

Remember the one where Hank joins the food coop because of the meat quality? And then at the end Appleseed (another good recurring character) sends Hank a picture of the calf that he's raising...Hank looks at the picture and says "Delicious." Credits. So damn funny.

God going through this thread gave me a lot of laughs, KotH was one of my favorite shows ever, and I'm sad it's gone and no longer syndicated where I'm at. The show probably had some of the most clever writing and spot on delivery since vintage Simpsons.

That scene in The Exterminator where Dale is spinning inside of the air ducts to kill the roaches has to be the best thing on TV ever.

noclevername620 said:
Remember the one where Hank joins the food coop because of the meat quality? And then at the end Appleseed (another good recurring character) sends Hank a picture of the calf that he's raising...Hank looks at the picture and says "Delicious." Credits. So damn funny.
*Hank, talking about a cow leaving* "It's less of a 'goodbye' and more of a 'see you later.'"

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
God going through this thread gave me a lot of laughs, KotH was one of my favorite shows ever, and I'm sad it's gone and no longer syndicated where I'm at. The show probably had some of the most clever writing and spot on delivery since vintage Simpsons.

That scene in The Exterminator where Dale is spinning inside of the air ducts to kill the roaches has to be the best thing on TV ever.
You don't get Cartoon Network anymore? Last I checked they were showing episodes of KOTH.

Professor Beef said:
You don't get Cartoon Network anymore? Last I checked they were showing episodes of KOTH.
Nah, I always watched it on Fox. I watched from the very beginning and liked it from the start, which generally isn't the case for most viewers my age (late 20s). I don't have cable since I'm hardly ever home to watch TV so I'd be paying for nothing. I really ought to be pick up the box sets someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZaGWGAMjus

The whole soccer exchange between Hank and Bobby is just hilarious.

And I love Dances with Dogs, some great lines there:

DON: We are witnessing a dream. I hope I never wake up and this dream lasts forever. A boy, a dog, a dance.

SKETCH RANDALL: I wish everyone who denies the pure athleticism of dog dancing could see what I'm seeing right now.

zerotol

Banned
noclevername620 said:

I think it was called "Raise the steaks". It's one of my favorite episodes. Hank working at the co-op was hilarious!

Mudkips

Banned
Can't wait for the complete box set.

Wish I could find good clips of the Harmonaholics. Compare that to the shit that is Family Guy / Modern Simpsons.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Buckley: Somebody get this skank off me!

Cotton: And try to show a little leg, they ain't got much tone but dams is dams.

Cotton: You will never know if you're pretty, it's up to a man to tell you that.

Cotton: Hank you won the big game so I'm buy you and your friends HOOKERS! Go ahead and pick out a lively one.
Hooker: Hey Mr. Quaterback

Cotton: They were coming at me faster than I could gut them, so I had to gut them faster.

Cotton: Have you gotten fatter Fatty?
Bill: Sir yes Sir.

Cotton: The last thing I remember was beating them to death with a big piece of Fatty.

Hank's Mexican assistant, Octavio, who always helps him with illegal shit - that's gotta be one of my favorite side characters. They never oversaturated you with that guy, but he was always able to come through for Dale's bizarre, vaguely criminal whims.

One of my favorite moments toward the end of the show is where Dale gets the uranium from the two Russian guys and it's revealed that he speaks pretty competent conversational Russian. I love those bits that leave a lot to the imagination - where did Dale learn Russian? What's Octavio's backstory?

I love the episode where Luanne starts a Bible study in her pool, and Octavio shows up. First off, he introduces himself as "Pssh, Octavio, dude." Like everyone should know who he is. Also Joseph calling out his "Jesus" tattoo.

Sometimes I love how Peggy enjoys being right.

Hank: Alright, I was crying. Are you happy now?
Peggy: Well...yes, I'm happy for me, but of course I feel bad for you!

Aristotlekh said:
Hank's Mexican assistant, Octavio, who always helps him with illegal shit - that's gotta be one of my favorite side characters. They never oversaturated you with that guy, but he was always able to come through for Dale's bizarre, vaguely criminal whims.

One of my favorite moments toward the end of the show is where Dale gets the uranium from the two Russian guys and it's revealed that he speaks pretty competent conversational Russian. I love those bits that leave a lot to the imagination - where did Dale learn Russian? What's Octavio's backstory?
He's Dale's assistant. look at this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIjbNkBDAw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Lionel Mandrake said:
I love the episode where Luanne starts a Bible study in her pool, and Octavio shows up. First off, he introduces himself as "Pssh, Octavio, dude." Like everyone should know who he is. Also Joseph calling out his "Jesus" tattoo.

Yeah that was hilarious especially the enthusiastic aieeee Octavio gives when he cannonballs into the pool.

KotH had enough great side characters to give The Simpsons a run for its money.

John Redcorn
Buck Strickland
Dooley
Octavio
Joe Jack
Topsy
Jimmy Whichard
Monsignor Martinez
Chuck Mangione
MF Thatherton
Lane Pratley
Coach Kleehammer

One issue I have with all the characters is Bobby. In the first 3 or 4 seasons he was this dumbwit with clever lines and awkward pauses. Then they pulled a 180 on him.

EDIT-Actually, same with Dale. He became a happy go-lucky character in the later seasons.

Chiave

The state championship rematch episode was pretty funny. I know other sitcoms do episodes like this but I thought is was especially funny in KotH because of how often the characters referred to Hank's ankle snapping over the years.

This episode was entertaining but this part made lol in particular

I love this show, my favorite line was from the episode where Hank had constipation, during Peggy's funeral nightmare.

DOCTOR/PRIEST: "Remember, early detection is the key...now pass in your algebra homework."

Gets me everytime

I think one of my favorite lines on the show has to be from the episode, Business is Picking Up, when Joseph has to shadow Hank and he says to Hank, "Do you think I could get a ninth-grader, if she was ugly?"

Hylian7

Alright, this thread got me thinking. I may seriously work on a King of the Hill themed Left 4 Dead 2 campaign. For it to be effective and actually give you that feeling of KotH, I think it would need one major thing: voiced characters.

Obviously getting the original VA's probably would never happen. However I've been told I can imitate some of the characters' voices pretty well. Obviously I would have to find other people who can do the other characters.

For survivors I was thinking this:

Hank
Bill
Dale
Luanne/Boomhauer: I originally thought Boomhauer should go here. However, given how important it is that you understand the what the characters are saying in this game, it would present a problem. 90% of the time, you may not be able to understand Boomhauer. Luanne would fit well because she would actually bring more comedy to the cast, and players would be able to understand what she is saying. I can understand why people would want Boomhauer though, so if I end up making this thing, I'll probably do two versions of it: One with Boomhauer, and the other with Luanne.

Here's just a few lines I thought of for the characters:

Hank:
"Bwuuuuuuhhhhhhhh! Taaaaaaank! Not of propane tank either!"

Boomhauer:
"Shh shh you hear that man I think thats some girl I slept with man no wait that's a dang 'ol witch. Turn them damn flashlights off man, shh shh."

Bill:
"Lenore? No wait, that's another witch. Do you think she was single before she became a zombie, Hank?" Hank: "Shut up Bill, and turn your god dang flashlight off."

Who knows if I'll actually end up making this. It was just a little idea that's been sitting on my head. I'd seen it suggested on the internet multiple times, yet no one has bothered to make one.

People that don't find King of the Hill funny are mutants. Subscribed.

And Left 4 Dead with Hank, Dale, Boomhauer and Bill would be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom