• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of the Hill appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't too big on Lucky at first, but he convinced me.

My top 10, in no particular order, and combining two-parters. It was really hard to pick 10, because the show is just so freakin' consistent.

HujJt.jpg

Life in the Fast Lane – Bobby's Saga

rGjgf.jpg

Propane Boom/Death of a Propane Salesman (Part 1 & 2)

rBLnk.jpg

Little Horrors of Shop

TGsqg.jpg

The Witches of East Arlen

az1Q1.jpg

Hanky Panky/High Anxiety (Part 1 & 2)

c1u8k.jpg

Hank Gets Dusted

ofeRM.jpg

Death Picks Cotton
(big spoiler if you haven't seen the last season)

o74N6.jpg

Returning Japanese (Part 1 & 2)

UQFcr.jpg

Lupe's Revenge

zmTRG.jpg

Fun With Jane and Jane

ThisWreckage said:
In my opinion, it's the most consistently funny animated television show ever. It's also occasionally touching. I love how the show almost always is able to tell a good story.

My favorite character is probably Gilbert. Bill's flamboyant cousin from New Orleans.

Lol I remember Bobby in that episode

"I need a window seat, because this flowah is wiltin"

Poyunch

MattPeters said:
BILL: I don't get it. Why would Bug be in a gay rodeo?

HANK: Well, the guy's 60 -- maybe he couldn't cut it on the regular circuit. It's like those guys who have to play European basketball, or Canadian football.

One of my all time favorite Hank quotes. His delivery of that just makes me laugh so hard.
Another goodie from that episode.

BUG: Are you gay?

HANK: What? No, I sell propane!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Most amazing thing was that other than a bit cleaner animation in later seasons, the show was always consistent. The writing never really took a dip in any season. There were a few meh episodes here and there but they were spread out.

Sanjuro

There has never been a show which defined the meaning of "growing on you" as much as KotH. While I always enjoyed the show, personal experiences and travel in the US just make it that much more enjoyable. There is hardly an episode that doesn't relate to a specific breed of Americana.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Also loved the episode with the asshole Canadians.

Bill: "Canada has a great National Anthem, too bad you don't hear it much during the Olympics"

"Lonely divorcee...or...you will be alone for the rest of your life!!"

Love that whole exchange in Bill Of Sales.

And the one where Bobby caddies for Buck Strickland is nonstop hilarity.

lush said:
When the hell is Fox going to release the rest of the seasons on DVD? It's absolutely pathetic that we've yet to get a proper box set, especially for a show that has 13/14 seasons and a decent following. The day that baby does go on sale though will be a glorious day.

Easily one of my favorite shows of all time, a good comedy for people of all ages to enjoy. Great characters as well. Praise Mike Judge.

Probably too many favorites to list, but my quick favorite episodes would be "Bobby Goes Nuts", "A Beer Can Named Desire", and "A Firefighting We Will Go".

this just makes me mad. release oh god release please. i have all the dvd's available in australia so far - only goes up to season 5 :/

ThisWreckage said:
In my opinion, it's the most consistently funny animated television show ever. It's also occasionally touching. I love how the show almost always is able to tell a good story.

My favorite character is probably Gilbert. Bill's flamboyant cousin from New Orleans.

Look, Don! I'm a Dandy, too!

You suuuure are, kid.

Dram

There's only a few things I dislike about King of the Hill, kind of long so bear with me:

1. They changed Peggy's mom. In the earlier seasons of the show her mom was basically an older version of Peggy, but then later on they changed her so that she was a rancher from Montana. She really just became a female version of Cotton, that was mad at Peggy for leaving the ranch. This also changed how Peggy and Hank met, since she spent her teen years in Montana instead of in Arlen like it originally was stated.

2. Luann makes a complete 180 in character development. Luann quits beauty school and enrolls in college, because Buckley's Angel tells her she was meant for something else. Then later on she quits college and becomes a hair stylist.

3. Bill and Bobby always end up alone. No matter how many times they meet girls and get along with them, the next episode has them single again.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Professor Beef said:
"I see he did not tell you about the Rascal."

One of my favorite lines in the episode. The deliverance of it...
KuGsj.gif

Hank had some awesome line delivery.

There was one episode where Bobby starts dating a girl with very liberal parents. When hank insists they chaperone the sate the parents are embarrassed when they go to an Ice Cream parlor and a few of their friends walk in. They laugh at them and one of them says...

Parent's friend: "Chaperoning? Nice job, Ronald Reagan."

Girl's Dad: Hey, don't call me that.

Hank: Yeah, don't call him that.

The way they both deliver the lines. The dad taking as a personal insult and Hank taking as an insult to Regan was great.

way more

My favorite moment comes in the pageant episode when Bill sees dolled up Peggy.

billsinging.png

Bill butchering "Taking Care of Business." Mumbling half the words and doing it with beer in his mouth. Priceless.

Then he sees Peggy and emits a sad, lonely groan.

billshocked.gif

hahaha.

thebeeks

Banned
Dram said:
2. Luann makes a complete 180 in character development. Luann quits beauty school and enrolls in college, because Buckley's Angel tells her she was meant for something else. Then later on she quits college and becomes a hair stylist.

Hell, remember when Luanne would fix Hank's truck and knew what parts to order? I really liked greasemonkey Luanne.

thebeeks said:
Hell, remember when Luanne would fix Hank's truck and knew what parts to order? I really liked greasemonkey Luanne.
Luanne went through the most transformations in the show. More Bill, Dale, and Peggy combined.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
DrForester said:
And not being full of pointless and stupid pop-culture references, Fox naturally gave it the boot.

It was on for 13 seasons. Can't really complain.

Poyunch

Got to bring in some John Redcorn love.

Peggy Hill: Well, well, well Jo-hon Redcorn.
John Redcorn: Oh, Peggy. Nancy's headache's very severe this morning, um... must be the pollen.
Peggy Hill: Well, well, well.
John Redcorn: Well.
Peggy Hill: Jo-hon Redcorn.
John Redcorn: Pe-eggy Hill.

The way John Redcorn says "Pe-eggy Hill" is hilarious.

There were some slight deviations but King of the Hill was definitely the most consistent adult animated show. I don't understand how a show that lasted for 13 seasons can't get a proper DVD boxset...

There were a few weak episodes here and there, but I don't think there was ever a weak season.

The characters I liked the most were:
Dale
Luanne
Hank
Bill's cousin, Gilbert
Peggy (I'll admit she is an acquired taste)
Mr. Strictland

The characters I didn't care for:
Cotton
Lucky

I pretty much liked most of the characters. The guest voices were usually pretty solid as well. I agree though, after Bobby and Connie broke up, Bobby never had a girlfriend for more than a single episode. Poor guy. I think Nancy and Dale probably had the most satisfying story arc. At the beginning of the series, their marriage was basically a joke but by the end their marriage was one of the strongest.

Hopefullly Netflix and syndication will keep building up the fan base so we can get a proper DVD box set.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I can't see how anyone can't like Cotton. His last episode was brilliant. Also loved the Japan episode.

COTTON: You're gonna miss your war skootch, ain't you, boy?
BOBBY: I never even got to say goodbye.
COTTON: What!? Stop the cab! Stop the cab!
HANK: Dad, what are you doing?
COTTON: You wouldn't understand. It's about love. Bobby, you gots to say your goodbyes. 'Cause Lord knows it's a kick in the kiester to come back for 'em after fifty years!

Xevren

Now I know why they call you Pa! Cuz you're Pa-thetic!

Now I know why they call you Ma! Cuz you're always ridin Ma ass!

DrForester said:
I can't see how anyone can't like Cotton. His last episode was brilliant. Also loved the Japan episode.

COTTON: You wouldn't understand. It's about love. Bobby, you gots to say your goodbyes. 'Cause Lord knows it's a kick in the kiester to come back for 'em after fifty years!

Yup, Cotton had some very good moments.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
Bobby: That's my purse I don't know you.

Kid: Hey Bobby play any kick ball today?
Bobby: Why you up for a game?
Kid: *backing away* Just saying hi.

Self defense instrutor: I DON'T HATE MEN! I just don't like being a victim.

Kahn: FAT WHITE LUMP!

Luanne: Because I challenge you with my intellectuals.

Jimmy Whitcher: You...you monkey boy!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SSJ1Goku said:
Bobby: That's my purse I don't know you.

Kid: Hey Bobby play any kick ball today?
Bobby: Why you up for a game?
Kid: *backing away* Just saying hi.

Self defense instrutor: I DON'T HATE MEN! I just don't like being a victim.

Kahn: FAT WHITE LUMP!

Luanne: Because I challenge you with my intellectuals.

Jimmy Whitcher: You...you monkey boy!

Another line I love from the "bobby Goes Nuts ep:

Kahn: I heard what you did to Chane Wasonasong. Unforgivable! But then I heard what you did to your father. Very funny. So I'm conflicted.

lush

Was always a fan of this one:

"I can't enjoy a party until I know where the bathroom is. You knew that when you married me."

Gets regular play from me whenever possible. Along with this one:

"Mr. Big is pleased." and this one "I was not flirting. I didn't even mention that I worked in propane."

A few more:

"Bobby, you go pick something from the adventure section....anything about a boy with gumption should be fine."

"Bobby, I didn't think I'd ever need to tell you this, but I would be a bad parent if I didn't. Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking."

"IT'S YOUR FAULT I WAS BORN IN NEW YORK, AND I CAN'T DRIVE MY TRUCK, AND I TRIED A BAGEL AND I ACTUALLY LIKED IT." and from that same episode "I think my truck might be too much ve-hicle for me."

Also I don't think anyone's touched on how underrated Dooley is
char_11494.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Just wanted to say that I absolutely love this show. I don't really like the earliest ones anymore though I did at the time. I think I just don't have much tolerance for the poorer animation from those. But anything after the first couple seasons I love watching.

DrForester said:

I love Cotton, but hated the
Death Picks Cotton
episode.

Dooley was awesome as the butt-head clone. I wish they made a Beavis clone too.

I wonder if the new Beavis and Butt-Head will have any guy who look like KotH charas? Hank Hill himself was a BaBH redesigned character.

"IS A WORLD WITHOUT BUCKLEY A WORLD WE WANT TO LIVE IN!"

I love king of the hill, i used to hate it when i was younger, smh at me.

even in the final season it was still good, take note simpsons , thats how you keep shows fresh and funny

Isle 8A is one of my favorite episodes , the 3rd season was B^) , Billdozer!

Peggy's spanish is always amazing , "Bobby you didnt finish your arroz con chicken" , how she said it is hilarious

lush said:
"IT'S YOUR FAULT I WAS BORN IN NEW YORK, AND I CAN'T DRIVE MY TRUCK, AND I TRIED A BAGEL AND I ACTUALLY LIKED IT." and from that same episode "I think my truck might be too much ve-hicle for me."
I love how he corrects himself a few seconds later just to emphasize how much he loved that bagel.
DrForester said:
I don't think they could have done it any more perfectly.
The episode itself isn't terrible, but I hate how out of character he seemed. Maybe it's just me.

Xevren said:
Now I know why they call you Pa! Cuz you're Pa-thetic!

Now I know why they call you Ma! Cuz you're always ridin Ma ass!

That line made my 50 something year old mother laugh out loud once.

I always liked the episode where Dale began to think the Warren Report made sense and became ridiculously pro american.

Also, when Hank uses crack for fishing bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom