• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

You guys posting simple and clean and going with it on the first pages is one of the reasons i love this forum so much. <3

Can't wait to try 0.2!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'll agree, the final boss was a pain in the ass on Proud. It took me a while to realize you can attack while he's in the tornado.

Watching Back Cover now. Hearing Hikari's voice come out of Chirithy is just odd.

Without having to try and scroll through all the posts and decipher all the names (which I don't understand at all):

Which games should I play before playing this collection? I have a PS4 and 3DS.

What's the easiest way to play this series from beginning to this collection?

Thanks.

I rather have a complete game made of Final Fantasy XV Chapter 13s than having to battle the final boss again on Proud.

I can not even imagine what this thing will be like in Critical.

The first boss does about half my health in one hit on Critical. I can only imagine the final boss being a nightmare. Doesn't help that you only have enough MP on Crit to do at most 2 spells.

Without having to try and scroll through all the posts and decipher all the names (which I don't understand at all):

Thanks.

Wait until March for 1.5 and 2.5 to come out on PS4. Play them in order and you'll be set.

raven777

Thanks.

There is a collection that comes out for PS4 on March. Play that one, and after that play this one and you will be set for KH3.

BatDan

Thanks.

Wait for the 1.5 + 2.5 collection coming in March.
That's it.

Ydelnae

Most of the boss fights on proud are like

krabs.jpg

Oh shit here he comes, it's time to dodge
Oh wait you can't dodge properly in this game, let's just block the attack
That's right, the boss keeps hitting you and damaging you even though you blocked the attack
Let's just roll over the stage until you have a chance to attack
It's been 2 minutes of constant rolling, but okay
Oh, a chance! I can finally beat his ass
I barely made him any damage, and now he's attacking again
Back to square one.

Nose Master

Did the NA version of 0.2 nerf block or something? Every video I see of the japanese version has them spamming/cancelling block like crazy, when I can do it only once every 5 seconds or so.

silva1991

Is this really true ? :(

Will KH2,a decade old game, forever be square enix's best ARPG ?

/:

If KH3 is closer to 0.2 than 2FM then yes. 2FM will continue to be SE's best ARPG.

It really sucks -__-

Who were responsible for KH2's combat and where are they? are they working on FF7R?

If KH3 is closer to 0.2 than 2FM then yes. 2FM will continue to be SE's best ARPG.

It really sucks -__-

Who were responsible for KH2's combat and where are they? are they working on FF7R?

Originally they were put on Versus XIII. Can't say I know what they've done besides that, and I'm sure some were put on different projects.

Has anyone seen the cutscenes getting stuck for a second and then working fine?

I just started playing it and its very annoying.

Willa Holland has really improved on her delivery. I don't know if it's just her, if it's the voice direction, the script or a combination of all three, but Aqua sounds a lot better than she did in BbS.

zulux21

Willa Holland has really improved on her delivery. I don't know if it's just her, if it's the voice direction, the script or a combination of all three, but Aqua sounds a lot better than she did in BbS.

I think it might be mostly audio quality.

something was seriously messed up with her audio in the original BBS (I haven't played the ps3 version yet)

JTripper

Tip for final boss:
Use your shotlock A LOT. Make sure if you run out of orbs from the boxes on the map, use your elixirs and shit.

Other than the boss fights, this is a better experience than KH2. I love KH2, but the combat here just feels better to me. Smoother and I think the new transformation system is a good evolution/alternative of the Drive Forms. I did not find the block timing as frustrating as some here seem to have.

Overall it definitely has me looking forward to KH3 even more than I already was.

KyleCross

So 0.2 on Pro trades out a locked 30fps for an unlocked framerate that ranges between 30 and 60? There's no way to turn that off? I see nothing in the config menu. A locked framerate is always better than an unlocked one.

Also sad to see no HDR support.

So 0.2 on Pro trades out a locked 30fps for an unlocked framerate that ranges between 30 and 60? There's no way to turn that off? I see nothing in the config menu. A locked framerate is always better than an unlocked one.

Also sad to see no HDR support.

I have nothing technical to back this up, but I never felt like the framerate wavered enough to be an issue and the 60fps combat is so, so much better.

RPGCrazied

Amazon sucks. Something wrong with my shipment. Now they say I won't get it until the 26th. Even when it said it was in my city all day today. I talked to one rep and he told me I'd get it tonight and assured me the courier told him I'd get it tonight! Time rolls by and I don't get it. I track it again it says its not even in my city its somewhere else in my state with a new date of the 26th. So I talked to another rep and said the last rep lied to me and would be dealt with. Blah.

Amazon is getting weird on me lately.

Hope you are having fun with the game GAF.

Oh well, I got $10 credit out of the deal.

DNAbro

Uhh okay after beating 0.2 I go to the main menu and it tells me that there are extras and then I see it's for a theme. Cool. When I click it though it brings me to the PS Store and asks me to buy it. Are they fucking serious? or was it supposed to be free?

Uhh okay after beating 0.2 I go to the main menu and it tells me that there are extras and then I see it's for a theme. Cool. When I click it though it brings me to the PS Store and asks me to buy it. Are they fucking serious? or was it supposed to be free?

It's supposedly an error on SE's part since they are free on EU and JP.

it should be free

So would you guys recommend starting with Proud difficulty? From some of these posts, it seems kinda bs. Are there any secret endings hidden behind Proud?

BatDan

*finishes Back Cover*
... This is all the stuff that will be relevant in KHIII right? Mostly Luxu's Keyblade which will be Xehanort's Keyblade in the future.
I got bored of Unchained X so I guess I'll read a summary of any events it missed.

I have nothing technical to back this up, but I never felt like the framerate wavered enough to be an issue and the 60fps combat is so, so much better.

YMMV, I guess. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the unlocked framerate when I first started the game (never knew about this feature) but the results are a bit of a mixed bag for me when it started wavering all over from 50ish FPS to even sub-30. But this is usually the problem you would see in console games with unlocked framrates.

They still have plenty of time to optimise for KH3 (firstly to get that baseline of never dipping below 30) so I hope they can offer more in terms of pro support later on; options for higher resolutions, locked FPS modes and stable 1080p would be very welcomed.

Totally forgot this was coming out. Crap, I want to play it. I dropped 3D halfway through the game because I forgot what the story was about lol.

Eh, I guess I'll wait for the series on PS4.

Nose Master

So would you guys recommend starting with Proud difficulty? From some of these posts, it seems kinda bs. Are there any secret endings hidden behind Proud?

I did it in a few hours. Expect most of the bosses to two shot you, but you have built in leaf bracer / once more so it isn't a huge problem.

Super Magic is pretty broken. For trash mobs, toss out a Thundara before you hit 4 combo stacks and the free Thundaga will usually completely clear the room. Same idea with bosses, but Firaga works better. Does about 65% of a bar.

Taking advantage of i-frames helps a lot, too. Shotlock and phase transformations / finishers are really good get out of jail free / "magic please recharge" cards.

Not sure if the
post credits cutscenes
were Proud exclusive, but it didn't seem secret movie tier if it was.

Boss spoilers:
Demon Tower is so much worse than Demon Tide.

Wow! I'm really having the hardest time with 0.2 final boss lol. Playing on Proud mode.

During the first phase, don't waste your transformations. Once you get them wait until Mickey jumps on his back and gives you a unique one, it'll give you about 2-3 bars of free damage. You can get it in twice and pretty much blaze through the first phase for free. Tornado is just a lot of waiting around.

h0mebas3

So for someone has never played KH. What's the order? Do I start with the 1.5 HD version coming next month for PS4 and then 2.8? So many games I'm confused :(

JTripper

So for someone has never played KH. What's the order? Do I start with the 1.5 HD version coming next month for PS4 and then 2.8? So many games I'm confused :(

Get the 1.5 + 2.5 Collection coming out in March, play through each of those games in order. Then after you finish them, get 2.8 and play Dream Drop Distance and then 0.2.

2.8 is the lead-up to 3. The collection releasing in March includes all the necessary games prior to 2.8 and 3.

In March get 1.5+ 2.5 HD (one purchase). This will give you 4 games and two HD cinematics.

KH 1.5:
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (first game, full game)

Kingdom Hearts Re:chain of Memories (sequel to Kingdom Hearts, full game)

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (HD Cinematics, watch before or after Kingdom Hearts 2)

KH 2.5:
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (full game)

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (prequel to Kingdom Hearts, required to understand 0.2 Birth by Sleep)

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (HD Cinematics)

Then you can get KH2.8:
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (full game, sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2 and Re:coded)

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep (sequel to Birth by Sleep, also takes place parallel to Kingdom Hearts. Play after Dream Drop Distance)

Kingdom Hearts X Back Cover (60 minute movie, watch at any time when playing this collection)

My major issues with the combat in 0.2.

* Clunky animation and controls for Aqua. Feels like the camera is just too close to her in a way that is, just not good. Also her jumping skills leave a lot to be desired.
* Camera is fine for the normal encounters but gets absolutely crazy with some of the situation commands and boss battles. It is hard to make out during a chaotic scene thanks to the camera.
* Dodging/Blocking sucks. Just try to play the final boss fight and see it yourself. Some of the attacks will launch you up in the air while you fall down, you will keep getting knocked out again. It was annoying.

As for the rest, it was a really boring and bland location art wise and I hated the
mirror world.
Most of the prologue felt like it was padding the game. Boss battles sucked. Story was non-existent except in the end
when we get to Mickey

I finished the game on Standard mode without any death. Haven't tried the secret boss yet.

On the positive side, I can see the potential for KH3 combat if they can improve upon it. I enjoyed Situation Commands even if they do get crazy at times. They also felt repetitive but that won't be issue in the full game thanks to the new abilities/attacks.

0.2 is done Nd yea...Idk I leave less hyped than when I went in. Back cover seemed utterly pointless
Thankfully DDD is my 3rd favorite so that'll be fun

DNAbro

*throws Back Cover into the trash*

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHH CMON. This does feel like an advertisement for whatever Season 2 of Unchained X will be. Still so many questions and not enough action to make up for it. They really couldn't have animated the finale of Chi?

Master of Masters was fantastic though.

Makes you wonder why SE doesn't just outsource KH if their own staff take 100 years to release a game and even then they can't figure out some of the most basic game desing stuff there is.

They did it with Near and that seems to work out fine. I heard Kamiya and half of Platinum is looking for a gig ;)

After 2 hours of trying finally beat
super phantom aqua
That was fun once I finally memorised the pattern for the
clone magic spams

Going to take a break from 0.2 and get some DDD done, looking forward to getting the remaining objectives down. Surprised to hear a lot of ppl having trouble with the controls.
Only thing I found different from BBS was not being able to spam and dodge cartwheel infinitely anymore (which imo is a good change) making me actually be patient and do timings better.

silva1991

Makes you wonder why SE doesn't just outsource KH if their own staff take 100 years to release a game and even then they can't figure out some of the most basic game desing stuff there is.

They did it with Near and that seems to work out fine. I heard Kamiya and half of Platinum is looking for a gig ;)

After Platinum last games, I wouldn't want them to tackle my KH.

Platinum have became less and less creative when it comes to combat since MGR and even Nier felt very similar to their last efforts and that's not good.

I don't want KH's combat to feel like Nier or Transformers.

BatDan

After Platinum last games, I wouldn't want them to tackle my KH.

Platinum have became less and less creative when it comes to combat since MGR and even Nier felt very similar to their last efforts and that's not good.

I don't want KH's combat to feel like Nier or Transformers.

*looks at Wonderful 101* *saddens that very few people played it*

KH2FM is definitely a godlike ARPG, but it bears mentioning that the game was the result of that very same team stumbling over themselves with both iterations of KH1 and KH2 vanilla for them to get to a point where combat and boss design were finally in tune with each other in KH2FM.

0.2's combat isn't perfect, but parts of it do show promise. I think if they take a look at what does and doesn't work in 0.2 (especially the boss design outside of Copy Aqua), they could use that to better balance & design KH3.

Top Bottom