• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained |OT| - It's not an X - [UP] Worldwide Release

I think I get it, but something bothers me:
does this mean that everyone we've met up until now have just been their Unchained versions? As in, not real? I'm talking about the important characters like Ephemer, Skuld, and the Union Leaders; I think the random Keyblade wielders we just met up with are fellow people going through the same thing our player character is.

If the player character is reliving the events of his/her past up until a certain point, then that should mean all those scenes we had with those important characters were just recreations, right?
I think the implication is that everything really did happen, but Chirithy made us forget about the war specifically.

Which seems like questionable game design because it kind of requires you to watch a playthrough of Chi on YouTube to see what you missed.

Lnds500

I think the implication is that everything really did happen, but Chirithy made us forget about the war specifically.

Which seems like questionable game design because it kind of requires you to watch a playthrough of Chi on YouTube to see what you missed.

It's downright terrible, not questionable.. But then again, χ isn't made to be a creative project, it's made to milk the franchise.

Psxphile

Ummm... Did they just skip a ton of story in the west? Didn't the Ventus reveal happen later in Japan?

Nope, we're right where we should be, quest number wise and plot wise. Future updates should be:

666-670 -
Daybreak Town / Union Cross
671-675 -
676-690 -
Enchanted Dominion
691-705 -
Enchanted Dominion
706-715 -
Daybreak Town
716-725 -
Daybreak Town
726-730 -

Malyse

I... think I must have missed something because the story seems to now take place after the Keyblade War.

What exactly is our character doing, um, still being alive? We're not part of the Dandelions, so we didn't skip it or anything. And why did that war basically get completely glossed over anyways?

Alright, so best I can tell:
[chi] - Timeline 1
Events play out, you get involved in the Keyblade War, you nearly die, Ephemer and Skuld toss you in the Unchained to redo things over.
Unchained - Timeline 2
You did the exact same thing! and are now barreling toward the BAD END again, so they decide, "fuck it we'll just give Player a lobotomy" and they wipe your mind.
Union - Timeline 3
Ephemer and Skuld (and your traitorous Chirithy) have successfully wiped your memory and now you think you joined the Dandelions and went into the new world. You still have recurring nightmares of the original timeline.

At least that's what I've put together. BTW It's only going to get more crazy from here.

Famassu

Nope, we're right where we should be, quest number wise and plot wise. Future updates should be:

666-670 -
671-675 -
676-690 -
Enchanted Dominion
691-705 -
Enchanted Dominion
706-715 -
Daybreak Town
716-725 -
Daybreak Town
726-730 -
Ok. I didn't remember this post Keyblade War Ventus reveal thing happening so abrubtly from following the Japanese KHUX. Just felt like it came out of nowhere.

Alright, so best I can tell:
[chi] - Timeline 1
Events play out, you get involved in the Keyblade War, you nearly die, Ephemer and Skuld toss you in the Unchained to redo things over.
Unchained - Timeline 2
You did the exact same thing! and are now barreling toward the BAD END again, so they decide, "fuck it we'll just give Player a lobotomy" and they wipe your mind.
Union - Timeline 3
Ephemer and Skuld (and your traitorous Chirithy) have successfully wiped your memory and now you think you joined the Dandelions and went into the new world. You still have recurring nightmares of the original timeline.

At least that's what I've put together. BTW It's only going to get more crazy from here.

So at which point does this game diverge from X?

Psxphile

So at which point does this game diverge from X?

In [chi], the breakdown of the Unions and in-fighting starts happening after completing Agrabah (though Unchained actually introduced a filler mission earlier than that in its own timeline that [chi] didn't have). Then Player starts having nightmares of future events, and suddenly the plot fast-forwards a few months and war becomes imminent. As such some of the recent Daybreak Town missions as well as the Castle of Dreams world was never introduced in [chi] (got skipped over).

In Unchained, after completing Agrabah Player continues visiting other worlds and also meets new keyblade wielders and starts to join them on missions in Daybreak Town. Though it should be noted that in JP KHux, Player's nightmares, as well as the initial scene where the infighting occurs is starting up again. So unless Unchained somehow rights itself it's going to end the same way [chi] did.

And of course, while all this is going on there's the Union Cross occurring somewhere outside Player's POV. Seems to be taking place after [chi] but alongside the events of Unchained. Very confusing.

Psxphile

we pets now

DIKnj0lVoAE6EU6.jpg:small

jp's getting it in mid-september

Famassu

we pets now

DIKnj0lVoAE6EU6.jpg:small

jp's getting it in mid-september
They participate in battles? I had started to wonder what would be the next new major battle feature they could use to continue the game's power creep. Upping max keyblade lvl, max buff tiers and just adding more powerful medals are fairly boring ways of extending the game's grip on players.

Psxphile

That'd be nice. And you can level them up by using all those useless materials that have been accumulating. I must have like 10k spring water.

Just found out my best damage set up is Starlight. Use my Key Sky to copy Sora Ex, and it will do almost 60k damage with each.. So about 300k damage. (Mostly thanks to ground 60% trait on Sky)

Psxphile

It already has been...

Squenix gonna Squenix I guess. I'll just keep delaying the system update.

Well I have an Android phone and nobody's pestering me to update. Depends on the manufacturer to provide the update, doesn't it? Some are slower than others, I think SENA is just waiting for mass adoption before patching the game. Which would be strange unless they thought patching it would break it for anyone who hasn't updated their OS.

pariah164

Well I have an Android phone and nobody's pestering me to update. Depends on the manufacturer to provide the update, doesn't it? Some are slower than others, I think SENA is just waiting for mass adoption before patching the game. Which would be strange unless they thought patching it would break it for anyone who hasn't updated their OS.
I've got a Samsung S7. Which I guess may be why.

Cbajd5

Maybe they evolve into mounts...

Any word on this game being OK with the new android update yet?
I updated to Oreo today and while the English version works fine (I was able to fight a raid boss and play a short union cross game.) the Japanese version crashes a few seconds after I start it up. (It doesn't seem dependent on input or letting the opening logos/video play.)

This is on an unlocked Nexus 6P on the stock Oreo release installed and with Magisk 13.3 installed.

Psxphile

Interesting.

Suppose I should point out that the warning message came from the JP twitter account. NA has made no mention of it so far.

EDIT: damn son, if you like gems you're in luck

Banner pulls, Jewel Challenges and Union Cross updates:
DIB5oOcUIAQYPNx.png:small

VIP quests this week, sounds like this is KH3 Sora EX's last week:
DIB4M3yUIAE475n.png:small

Skittles

Interesting.

Suppose I should point out that the warning message came from the JP twitter account. NA has made no mention of it so far.

Is this hot gem bait for tsums or seph ex? we'll see in a few days. They did the same thing for 0.2 kairi haha

Famassu

Lulz. I've been slacking a bit in KHUX and I was a dumb dumb with what I did with the 5* Union X Pooh B medal. Sooo I had to race against time this morning to get 10 Pooh Bs to get two 5* ones for two combo medals. Got the 10th 4* Pooh medal at exactly 10AM when the Winnie Union X event ended here. Phew.

c-murph

Interesting.

It's a traaa.... ah fuck it. I'm buying the jewels.

Edit: Down to 10k jewels. Don't care for DumDum medals. But do want Seph EX...

JP got a free Tsum Tsum pull. Will SENA give us one?

Psxphile

What can we gather from this tease:

DIU0c3RUEAMXuYx.jpg:small

- customizable? Looks like you collect parts and can change them around, just like with avatars. There's options for head, ears, body, legs, tail, and accessories.
- leveling seem to be tied to medals. Do the medals get used up?
- "Spirit Coordinate" suggests the pet might be a dream eater

Sölf

For the medal thingie, I can see 3 things:

- We simply get more medal slots with the pet (I doubt this)
- We use Medals to give the pet an ability or several abilities, depending on what we give it
- We use Medals only to strengthen the pet, EXP could be tied to medal strength and maybe special effects (more EXP for buffs, copies, heals, multiplier, etc)

I am definitly interested in this. I want a pet. Give me one!

----

On a completely different note, I started a small side experiment. I want to see how far in the game I can get without pulling at all. Basically, I am allowed to use all farmable medals and whatever else I can get as quest rewards (Tutorial Quest, Org XIII quest, HSC, Union Cross, etc). I am currently at Quest ~50 and oh boy, the beginning is interesting.

First of all, I can barely kill anything. The random friend medal is carrying me like hell, but I am pretty sure one of the main reasons for this is simply the fact that I have barely any multipliers at all (x1.02 and x1.04 on Three Wishes, woooo!) and also not even 5 slots unlocked on any keyblade.

On another node, you get totally hammered with stuff early on now. I've gotten over 50 Cids by quest ~40, I am getting 3 of each of the best duck EXP medals. I have already several evolve medals but funnily enough, you only get 3* and above evolve medals, which actually hinders me, because I can barely get any Cheshire Cat and Merlin medals at the moment (since it's not the weekend) and therefore am stuck with my 1* and 2* medals which I can't evolve unless a raid boss drops some evolve medals. I also think it may be scripted that you always get a 45% multiplier if you fuse the Donald B medals you get from the tutorial, since the last quest rewards you with exactly 5 Magic Mirrors which are enough to fully guilt it at 50%. I am interested to see when exactly all these rewards are stopping, as far as quest 50 I was still getting Cid 10s, ducklings and other stuff every other mission.

Cbajd5

Followup on the English version on Android Oreo: It no longer works at all for me, it just crashes on startup. (The Japanese version still doesn't work the same way as before, that is working for a few seconds before crashing.) I've got no idea why it stopped working, it doesn't seem like there's been any updates to any other apps since yesterday that should affect it.

Followup on the followup: Uninstalling and reinstalling the app seems to have fixed it? It starts up again now but I have to redownload all the data so I'm not sure if it'll crash again afterwards or not.

Top Bottom