• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo teasing new title from -Force, This is not "Warriors"

dramatis

I'd love for this to happen. The difference between most of the old cast and most of the new Tecmo-ified cast is just really jarring to me.

Not my image and obviously cherry picked but kind of illustrates the problem

And it's just as bad or even worse in Samurai Warriors
Would have been better if the old designs for the same characters were compared to the new designs. That image is poorly matched for that.

Besides, all the characters in the top still look pretty much like they did back then. Meanwhile the female designs got wrecked.

Giran

Besides, all the characters in the top still look pretty much like they did back then.

That's kind of the issue the image is trying to highlight. The cast members who were introduced during the PS and PS2 eras mostly look like actual stylized warriors and strategists, new cast mostly looks like they belong at a social event or a hairstyling advert or are trying to form their jpop group. There's a clear divide between the lead design philosophies behind them and it just makes everything feel inconsistent. Just pick one direction or the other.

Castef

Banned
What are the chances of this being the return of Otogi?

The reveal date is compatible with the Microsoft Gamescom conference.

I'd love for this to happen. The difference between most of the old cast and most of the new Tecmo-ified cast is just really jarring to me.

A mix and match of designs from DW5, DW7, DW8 and hell let's throw in a DLC costume cause that would really prove my point!

Yeah the character design is really awkward. It seems they can't make up their mind to be realistic or "fun". I mean, why do like 4 characters have blonde hair while the rest have natural Chinese colours? It even shows in the gameplay with weapons and movesets. They need to stick to an aesthetic, choose realistic or crazy, because it's just weird at this point.

I'm pretty sure they passed the whole realistic angle ages ago.

Giran

A mix and match of designs from DW5, DW7, DW8 and hell let's throw in a DLC costume cause that would really prove my point!

So I take as far as you're concerned you see absolutely no difference in design principle between top row and bottom row, they just mesh well together and look like they belong in the same game. Gotcha.

So I take as far as you're concerned you see absolutely no difference in design principle between top row and bottom row, they just mesh well together and look like they belong in the same game. Gotcha.

I mean considering you are using an absolutely terrible example to try and prove a point but fail to see that between games, characters are designed with a different style and motif.

And, throwing a DLC costume (which are basically fanservice) to say oh yeah, how dare the new characters look so terrible to the old ones.

I mean, take the girl who everything thinks is a waste of space:
orYGSf7.jpg
vLcjlRk.jpg

One looks like right out of an anime, the other looks decently more prepared to fight in a war.

So, you're wrong. Of course I think they won't mesh in the same game, cause they literally are not from the same game! Shocking!

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I mean, take the girl who everything thinks is a waste of space:

One looks like right out of an anime, the other looks decently more prepared to fight in a war.

They both look ill-equipped for war and more 'anime'. :p

Giran

So, you're wrong. Of course I think they won't mesh in the same game, cause they literally are not from the same game! Shocking!

What's shocking to me is that you believe the design on the right is somehow much better and that this bubbly little girl who's just wearing panties and thigh-high stockings below the waist is a great addition to a battlefield where people like this are present:

Yeah, she fits in real nice. See it's the same game this time and it REALLY made a huge difference in their presentation, it's not like the redesigns are just small changes to the characters between each game aside from DW6. Another shocking thing was that you're trying to say the single character in DLC costume there doesn't just like a DOA girl, much like the one you posted, in her regular miniskirt outfit as well. But I guess my personal opinion is wrong then. If you say so then it's settled.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I think some DW8 costumes were really good.

Especially Zhao Yun who I felt went back to his DW3/4/5 days with that outfit.

(Yes I'm one of those Zhao Yun posterboy fans lol)

Shengar

What's shocking to me is that you believe the design on the right is somehow much better and that this bubbly little girl who's just wearing panties and thigh-high stockings below the waist is a great addition to a battlefield where people like this are present:

Yeah, she fits in real nice. See it's the same game this time and it REALLY made a huge difference in their presentation, it's not like the redesigns are just small changes to the characters between each game aside from DW6. Another shocking thing was that you're trying to say the single character in DLC costume there doesn't just like a DOA girl, much like the one you posted, in her regular miniskirt outfit as well. But I guess my personal opinion is wrong then. If you say so then it's settled.
Do you wish the game to have less female character cast? Why would her existence bother you so much among the over the top, armor cladden. You're not forced to her, and the heavy stylized characters design are there because the cast branch out to non-combatants character and KT have to find to make them memorable.

As much as I like girl with full suite of proper armor, I don't get your complaint at all. Not when the game is ridiculously over the top where strategist like Xu Shu dresses and move like Assassin's Creed character.

Raitaro

Heck, I'll put in a crazy prediction as well: a new Castlevania action-RPG in collaboration with (the remnants) of Konami.

Would fit with the "It comes beyond. In a world of fear and despair" lines in two ways I'd say ;-)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sounds like Fatal Frame Musou!

Evilisk

I think that's a joke image. All of the top row sans Taishi Ci are DW8 outfits. The bottom row (sans the characters who first appeared in DW8, and Lu Linqgi who isn't using her actual outfit) are from DW7 however.

That's kind of the issue the image is trying to highlight. The cast members who were introduced during the PS and PS2 eras mostly look like actual stylized warriors and strategists, new cast mostly looks like they belong at a social event or a hairstyling advert or are trying to form their jpop group. There's a clear divide between the lead design philosophies behind them and it just makes everything feel inconsistent. Just pick one direction or the other.

This trend of androgynous/teenagers/prettyboy characters was already happening in the PS2 era. I guess nobody noticed because of DW6 being so bad and only cutting characters but DW5's new additions were lopsided on them (Cao Pi, Ling Tong, Guan Ping and Xingcai vs. Zuo Ci and Pang De).

Which one? They both look unfitting to war to me

Raitaro

Fear and despair? Not DW then. Dark Souls Musou would be interesting. Milk that franchise to death.

That was my first guess as well actually. Not sure if I'd want it personally, but that wouldn't stop anyone from making it.

Edit: bonus outlandish FROM collaboration prediction that would approach the level of a Nier 2, Shenmue 3 or FFVII remake: a new Otogi. Had almost forgotten about that series!

Seyavesh

i mean, even just the design sensibility on chars is pretty wildly different between dw2-5 and dw6-8, that's clear as day. it's simply preference. and i wildly prefer the old style designs. a lot of old chars at the very least keep some form of that b/c of established appearances + thematic stuff but geez louise, when the redesigns get bad they get bad. it's ultimately not too much of a big deal but it's still bothersome anyhow haha
1u89L6s.jpg
XQ6LA9G.jpg

as for being on topic: there is no way it's zill o'll, that series has bombed like forever and ever... why would they even do that? it's gotta be a new franchise or toukiden, right?

Reknoc

oh no these clues are making me think of Beserk I can't handle that, 5 days be over and put me out of my misery when it's not that.

Shengar

This trend of androgynous/teenagers/prettyboy characters was already happening in the PS2 era. I guess nobody noticed because of DW6 being so bad and only cutting characters but DW5's new additions were lopsided on them (Cao Pi, Ling Tong, Guan Ping and Xingcai vs. Zuo Ci and Pang De).
I have to admit that pretty boys character design in DW is out of hand latelt. It was understandable if it was Guo Jia or Xun Yu which the former known for his young age and the latter know to have one of the most handsome face in Chinese history. But it is inexcusable in the case of Li Dian and Yue Jin, both whom seniority are on par with Zhang Liao and Xu Huang. Gotta chase that Basara fujoshi money I guess.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Do you wish the game to have less female character cast? Why would her existence bother you so much among the over the top, armor cladden. You're not forced to her, and the heavy stylized characters design are there because the cast branch out to non-combatants character and KT have to find to make them memorable.

As much as I like girl with full suite of proper armor, I don't get your complaint at all. Not when the game is ridiculously over the top where strategist like Xu Shu dresses and move like Assassin's Creed character.

It's not about the female character count. No one is arguing against more females in the cast. It just so happens that a large number of the new female additions fall under the questionable design tastes that so many of the new characters from DW7/8 are bogged down by. Not to mention the characters that have been redesigned for the worse.

And Xu Shu is part of the problem.

I think that's a joke image. All of the top row sans Taishi Ci are DW8 outfits. The bottom row (sans the characters who first appeared in DW8, and Lu Linqgi who isn't using her actual outfit) are from DW7 however.

I think the idea is more old characters vs. new characters. The Lu Lingqi outfit is a cheap shot, though.

duckroll

Yes, all the messages seem to fit so far.

Live-action film, spin-off anime, second season anime... and a new game, why not?

That would make the licensing pretty interesting. Spike Chunsoft = 3DS. Capcom = Arcades. Koei Tecmo = PS3/PS4?

Maybe this is just a new Zill O'll game.

Top Bottom