• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima responds to the criticism of Quiet in MGSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gun Animal

I feel like Kojima made a huge mistake with Quiet. He should have not shown her to the public at all until after the game was released. It's a shame, the man used to be able to hold his tongue on even the most fundamental elements of his games, but social media has ruined him like it's ruined all of us.

People have been attacking his integrity since MGS2 to be fair :p
How many people have stopped with MGS since 2?

Plus, Quiet doesn't even seem like a character that he's majorly invested in. She's pretty much gonna be a boss character within the game.

I'm just questioning why he decided to make comments on his reasonings for her design. I mean there was none of this during e3.
Again the MGS2 backlash(and MGS4) was mostly against his design choices, there was nothing really there you could use to attack Kojima's character in any meaningful way that wasn't just a stupid troll.

Some of the stuff said in this thread and others went after who Kojima was at his core. It's easier to brush off people hating on your game and characters but it's harder when it can be used as a vehicle to attack who you are as person.(he has a thick skin though he'll be fine)

It's quite silly to say anything about Quiet's importance since the game is probably a year away and we know Kojima said she's the main heroine.

You'll have no argument from me that saying he was pandering to cosplayers and figurine collectors was really stupid, at the same time I really don't give a shit about Quiet's design and I will be happily playing MGSV when it comes out. And who knows maybe Quiet could end up being one of the best characters in the game.

synce

It's funny, for someone so obsessed with American culture Kojima forgot just how sexually repressed this nation is. Or maybe he didn't, and this is just brilliant marketing. Any publicity is good publicity.

Again the MGS2 backlash(and MGS4) was mostly against his design choices, there was nothing really there you could use to attack Kojima's character in any meaningful way that wasn't just a stupid troll.

Some of the stuff said in this thread and others went after who Kojima was at his core. It's easier to brush off people hating on your game and characters but it's harder when it can be used as a vehicle to attack who you are as person.(he has a thick skin though he'll be fine)

It's quite silly to say anything about Quiet's importance since the game is probably a year away and we know Kojima said she's the main heroine.

You'll have no argument from me that saying he was pandering to cosplayers and figurine collectors was really stupid, at the same time I really don't give a shit about Quiet's design and I will be happily playing MGSV when it comes out. And who knows maybe Quiet could end up being one of the best characters in the game.

Regarding the bolded, I didn't know this? I kinda thought she was a boss character. If she's a heroine, that's pretty interesting.

Either way, what a lot of the arguments is this -

-her design is trashy or too sexual whatever. What would the people that hate this design have instead? If the answer is have the design changed, then what they're effectively asking for is a form of censorship. I don't care how much I hate a design, but i'd never demand change just for the sake of pleasing me. It's how people end up having artists they like and dislike.
For instance, I couldn't stand the designs in Castlevania Judgement. And it seems many people didn't as well, because no one talks about that game anymore.

-This is almost exactly the same thing that happened with Dragon's Crown. Now if I'm not wrong, didn't that game turn out to be Vanillaware's most successful game? I'm certain the controversies would have helped out there.
I think Kojima is enjoying the fact that one character in a game he's making is being talked about so heatedly.

-Now regardless of me being a fan of Kojima, I think any artist/designer etc, has every right to design whatever they want. They are open to criticism, and that's perfectly fine. In the end, the worst thing a character design could be is boring, forgettable.
I don't rank Quiet's design that highly compared to previous designs regarding her attire. I think the only striking thing are the ripped stockings and camo mascara, but she's very very consistent with past female designs by instantly giving me the impression that she could fuck shit up. Paz is in fact the only female MGS character that I really dislike. More so the 3D model.

Ratrat

Quiet and her actress DO NOT share body dimensions.

The actress has a very thin and flat frame actually. Quiet certainly does not. You can see this in other shots (as well as this one).
It does seem they enlarged her breasts a bit. The rest looks the same to me.
RjMLGIYl.jpg

Wfa6B9H.png

7AO9bDF.png

jl0RN0e.png

Why do we hyperbole because of the looks?

Kojima is monetizing the more sexy outfit of the character Quiet after she was tortured.
I mean that's something we are grown up with.
I don't want this sexist things as well, but it's there and I know that Metal Gear Solid is something trashy and explotional.

It won't have the same character as a naked Cortana saving humankind with military forces or saving the galaxy in worlds with perfectly formed women in spandex suits while the whole plot is dead serious.

RK9039

I just realized there is a part of the original tweet that's not translated.

今回と同じ様に、物語の中で周囲から揶揄されます。

She's rediculed by others within the story just like she is with this event.

So it's an actual costume she wears for some unknown story reason.

Naming and shaming... has begun.

Platy

I0GvnFX.png

It's "shaming" when the internet goes into an outrage because they want a female video game character to show less skin because sexism. It's like we're in Iran or something.

People call sexism shaming a "slut" because girls exists in a wide variety of shapes and clothing preferences and we should allow that variety to exist.

We are calling Kojima sexist because girls exists in a wide variety of shapes and clothing preferences and yet we ONLY SEE ALMOST NAKED BIG BREASTED GIRLS and we should allow that variety to exist

Variety.

Quiet is not variety

I would acept her design if made sense (like Dragon's Crown Amazon) but there is NO WAY they make that design make sense within the world of the game.
The closer would be if her skin changes color, but then again the stocking would make less sense.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't really get the controversy to be honest. I just find Quiet to look really badass, for some reason. Her outfit screams "I don't give a fuck", and it makes her really hardcore in my eyes. Whatever.

Sure, whatever. Bring this game on. I wanna see Kojima go balls out for once. Nothing off limits.

The previous comments about Quiet seemed a bit skeezy but Kojima's too much of a wackjob for me to be able to appropriate this whole thing down to plain old skeeziness.

I0GvnFX.png

People call sexism shaming a "slut" because girls exists in a wide variety of shapes and clothing preferences and we should allow that variety to exist.

We are calling Kojima sexist because girls exists in a wide variety of shapes and clothing preferences and yet we ONLY SEE ALMOST NAKED BIG BREASTED GIRLS and we should allow that variety to exist

Variety.

Quiet is not variety

I would acept her design if made sense (like Dragon's Crown Amazon) but there is NO WAY they make that design make sense within the world of the game.
The closer would be if her skin changes color, but then again the stocking would make less sense.

And until Kojima explains the design and the characters background(which he said he has a meaning for) there's no point saying anything.
I understand both sides of the argument and both make valid cases.
But no-one has played the game so both are going by guesses and assumptions.
That's where I stand anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom