• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima responds to the criticism of Quiet in MGSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

casabolg

Banned
Quiet and her actress DO NOT share body dimensions.

The actress has a very thin and flat frame actually. Quiet certainly does not. You can see this in other shots (as well as this one).

Well she's doing mocap so we're going to need proof.

No doubt Kojima has thought of a new batshit insane reason why she's almost naked out in the desert.

I can't wait.

gurren-lagann-yoko-littner-boots-1.jpg

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Quiet - A Sniper deprived of her Clothes.

All the criticisms and attacks that Kojima has been getting for this is pretty damn insignificant compared to Raiden in mgs2.
I certainly wouldn't be worried about him changing anything because a bunch of people are complaining.

Furthermore, many of the crits are from people who have no intention of getting the game in the first place.

karasu

Naomi doesn't know what a bra is or how to button up a shirt. Her flirty comments are not nearly strong enough or prevalent enough to make her choice of dress feel like anything other than pandering on the part of Kojima.

Eh? She physically forced Otacon into a truck and had her way with him because he was hesitant to make a move. She expressed her sexuality visually, physically, and "narratively".

Ratrat

I just realized there is a part of the original tweet that's not translated.

今回と同じ様に、物語の中で周囲から揶揄されます。

She's rediculed by others within the story just like she is with this event.

So it's an actual costume she wears for some unknown story reason.

casabolg

Banned

今回と同じ様に、物語の中で周囲から揶揄されます。

HAHA
TIME FOR SHAME
DO YOU FEEL IT NEOGAF

今回と同じ様に、物語の中で周囲から揶揄されます。

The English tweet mentions her being "teased in the story", isn't that the translation?

今回と同じ様に、物語の中で周囲から揶揄されます。

So it's an actual costume she wears for some unknown story reason.

ahh so maybe she gets slut shamed... I guess the game dev shamers WILL be ashamed

Kojime, you sly devil you!

MCD

That's it? She get teased in the game and we are supposed not to in real life?

I'm ashamed already.

casabolg

Banned
That's it? She get teased in the game and we are supposed not to in real life?

I'm ashamed already.

No, that is part of it. The core issue should be about what she is teased about, which may mirror what she is teased for now but for different reasons.

All the criticisms and attacks that Kojima has been getting for this is pretty damn insignificant compared to Raiden in mgs2.
I certainly wouldn't be worried about him changing anything because a bunch of people are complaining.

Furthermore, many of the crits are from people who have no intention of getting the game in the first place.

I'd say these criticisms cut deeper than any of the ones for Raiden.

Raiden complaints were mostly the garden variety "HEY FAKC U KOJIMA, WE DONT WAN PLAY AS NO PRETY BOY!"

Quiet has people attacking his integrity as a person and saying he's a bad influence on the industry and whatever.

Raiden complaints were mostly the garden variety "HEY FAKC U KOJIMA, WE DONT WAN PLAY AS NO PRETY BOY!"

Quiet has people attacking his integrity as a person and saying he's a bad influence on the industry and whatever.
It's game dev shaming, and it's not cool in my opinion.

Excuse me your argument is invalid because I memorized wikipedia's list of logical phrases and can comfortably categorize your arguement if I completely disregard all intention. In Latin no less *infinitely growing smug emote*

Excuse me your argument is invalid because I memorized wikipedia's list of logical phrases and can comfortably categorize your arguement if I completely disregard all intention. In Latin no less *infinitely growing smug emote*
Can't blame him, Latin fallacy classification is super effective.

Zoc

Would you really like to debate that sex-positivity is bad in any way? It's good for both men and women.

There is a difference between getting shit the way you want while making an excuse for it and making something one way because it adds deeper emotion to a character and helps build the narrative. I think that's what you are missing and anyone who bothers to insult him if it does turn out as we assume.

I'm not missing anything, that's exactly what I'm saying: he's making an excuse for making things the way he wants. I feel pretty confident saying that, too, since it's exactly what he's always done.

Anyway, "sex positivity" is great when its a real thing, but this is MGS we're talking about, with its shitty cartoon stories. It's just an excuse for tits and ass. Which is fine, as long as you realize that peopleay get pissed when you put sexual torture in your cartoons.

Ratrat

Maybe you guys should wait to see what it's all about in the context of the game? Maybe?
Apparently Kojima is not to be trusted with creating a strong, sympathetic and complex female character whos not what she initially appears to be because Paz and the Beauties are a thing that exists.

I'm not missing anything, that's exactly what I'm saying: he's making an excuse for making things the way he wants. I feel pretty confident saying that, too, since it's exactly what he's always done.

Anyway, "sex positivity" is great when its a real thing, but this is MGS we're talking about, with its shitty cartoon stories. It's just an excuse for tits and ass. Which is fine, as long as you realize that peopleay get pissed when you put sexual torture in your cartoons.
Kojima has never made his female characters typical damsel-in-distress types. Yes, he has put some perverted shit in his games both with female and male characters equally, but when it comes down to it, most of his female characters actually do things in his stories and aren't just helpless objects so to speak.
Apparently Kojima is not to be trusted with creating a strong, sympathetic and complex female character whos not what she initially appears to be because Paz and the Beauties are a thing that exists.
But Meryl Silverburgh, Eva, The Boss, Karen Hojo and Chris Goldwin all exist. (Sorry, I haven't completed Snatcher)

Is it game dev shaming when they get a bad review on a game for whatever reason? Or is criticism only objectionable to you as "shaming" when it's about something you don't want to criticize?
It's "shaming" when the internet goes into an outrage because they want a female video game character to show less skin because sexism. It's like we're in Iran or something.

It's "shaming" when the internet goes into an outrage because they want a female video game character to show less skin because sexism. It's like we're in Iran or something.

Yes yes YES this is my absolute favourite argument. We'll all sex shy secret misogynists, you're right. Why can't Kojima just show the female form as it was intended?

Karkador

Banned

I doubt the so-called vocal minority of oppressive anti-sex feminists are posting even 1/4 of the thousands upon thousands of posts in these types of threads on GAF alone, so I really have to question who the outrage is actually coming from.

I remember making a thread about this, which eventually got locked, and people said wait for the game to be released; it's so obvious what's happening.

Zen

Banned

Well Kojima has preemptively shamed us all so we might as well get our licks in while we can!

Yes, but let's ignore all that.

No one is ignoring all that. In fact 'that' is part of the reason that people are scratching their heads at all this.

Logically fallacy but to elucidate a point:

So you're saying if I was saint my entire life and then killed a man for no reason whatsoever, the correct response would be 'don't worry about it'?

Mr. RHC

Guys, guys, guys. You could have called me earlier, I have the perfect solution for this!

BpBvfW9.jpg

Cardigan and s'all good!

The best part of this thread is the inability to differentiate between being a sexual being and being viewed as a sexual object.

Guys, guys, guys. You could have called me earlier, I have the perfect solution for this!

Cardigan and s'all good!

It took a while for this strawman to appear.

Bishop89

there will be too many people in the press and gaming community willing to tear him apart for anything that might raise an eyebrow.

and?

who cares what they think. People are always going to have a problem with EVERYTHING.

Best to ignore them and let the sane enjoy the luxuries of life.

People have been attacking his integrity since MGS2 to be fair :p
How many people have stopped with MGS since 2?

Plus, Quiet doesn't even seem like a character that he's majorly invested in. She's pretty much gonna be a boss character within the game.

I'm just questioning why he decided to make comments on his reasonings for her design. I mean there was none of this during e3.

Ratrat

Well Kojima has preemptively shamed us all so we might as well get our licks in while we can!

No one is ignoring all that. In fact 'that' is part of the reason that people are scratching their heads at all this.

Logically fallacy but to elucidate a point:

So you're saying if I was saint my entire life and then killed a man for no reason whatsoever, the correct response would be 'don't worry about it'?
Kojima has been bad with Mgs4 and Peace Walker so he's no saint. Considering this game is a year out and we have from his own mouth that she has a story related reason that will deal with difficult issues while also claiming to want to sell merchandise to fans. I think it's a toss up. But he seems confident that her eroticism is necessary to his story, Paz and and the Beauties were mostly eastereggs or unlockables any way. He doesn't deserve this amount of derision...YET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom