• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami Sues Viacom Over `Rock Band' Music Video Game

TheOddOne

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aHQODoKwFYrA&refer=japan

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'' music video game, sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall).

sneaky77

We cannot compete and we did not have the foresight to invest into the idea when we were first to market with it... therefore now we are gonna sue

So the article didn't even mention that Konami released Guitar Freaks and Drummania years ago? That would have at least made a whole lot more sense.

sneaky77 said:
We cannot compete and we did not have the foresight to invest into the idea when we were first to market with it... therefore now we are gonna sue
Exactly. But why are they not suing for Guitar Hero as well? And what took them so long?

Nevermind. I already know the answer to that last question.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Giard said:
They've waited a long time to sue, didn't they?

Well of course. Now that Konami's coming out with Rock Revolution, Rock Band is officially competition.

AmMortal said:
Viacom Payback for what you did to Youtube users.
What did they do?

Oh, and why the hate towards this Viacom? I don't keep up with the music genre so I don't know what goes on. Enlighten me? :D

RyanDG

Dark Octave said:
Exactly. But why are they not suing for Guitar Hero as well? And what took them so long?

Nevermind. I already know the answer to that last question.

I'm wondering if the lawsuit more has to do with the use of the linked music systems found in Drummania and GuitarFreaks rather than just a Guitar-accessory...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
dragonlife29 said:
What did they do?

Oh, and why the hate towards this Viacom? I don't keep up with the music genre so I don't know what goes on. Enlighten me? :D
Viacom sued Youtube to get all private information about all users and videos they watch (I think that's right :p).

JonathanEx said:
Activision paid up for the patent use.
Activision had the smarts to get a patent but Viacom didn't? What do their layers do all day? How do multi-million dollar corporations let things like this slip through the cracks? This is basic stuff here.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'

Oh no, they're coming for Elite Beat Agents next!

AmMortal

Banned
dragonlife29 said:
What did they do?

They actually are trying to force YouTube to reveal private information about YouTube users, as part of their case against YouTube.

Watch MTV. You'll know why they're hated :D

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jamesfrom818 said:
Wait. You can own patents to videogame genres? I gotta go claim shooters that are played from the first person perspective.
pretty sure someone has tried that one already

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Dark Octave said:
Activision had the smarts to get a patent but Viacom didn't? What do their layers do all day? How do multi-million dollar corporations let things like this slip through the cracks? This is basic stuff here.

you don't want to mess with Activisions Lawyers

GhaleonQ

evilromero said:
So the article didn't even mention that Konami released Guitar Freaks and Drummania years ago? That would have at least made a whole lot more sense.

Are you asking for INFORMED reporting? What other imaginary constructs would you like to materialize in this world?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dark Octave said:
Viacom is just a parent company and most likely didn't even double check Rock Band at all. The real question is why MTV games and Harmonix didn't pay for the patent. And their is likely a bureacratic/money reason for it

lupinko

Somnia said:
Activision might not be infringing on their patents so who knows.

Activision already pays Konami for the Guitar license, I'm pretty sure they pay for the Drum license as well.

Yay for patents! Such useful vague declarations. Can't wait for the person who claims that games interpreting button presses at all falls under their patent, presuming it hasn't happened multiple times already.

g35twinturbo said:
you don't want to mess with Activisions Lawyers

This is true. ATVI has the best lawyers in the business. And don't forget that ATVI and Viacom are mortal enemies. They are enjoying the hell out of this.

Kulock said:
Yay for patents! Such useful vague declarations. Can't wait for the person who claims that games interpreting button presses at all falls under their patent, presuming it hasn't happened multiple times already.

Actually, a lot of people have known this lawsuit was coming... years ago. Konami has excellent grounds for this.

D-X

Every time I walk into an arcade and see Guitar Freaks I always wonder why Konami never made more of it for the home market.

Raistlin

And Guitar Hero will be next.

I'm fine with them getting some compensation if the patents' are solid. Requesting a court injunction to block sales of them though, that is corporate suicide.

Not that I think a judge would ever grant it ... but if they did, Konami would literally become public enemy #1

TERRIBLE idea.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Funny thing is they would have never sued if Rock Band wasn't such a great game and a huge hit. So yeah, what does that tell you about their motivations here?

TheChaos

D-X said:
Every time I walk into an arcade and see Guitar Freaks I always wonder why Konami never made more of it for the home market.

Us longtime Bemani fans still don't get anything Konami does with that franchise in the USA. Seriously, releasing Beatmania home version 9 years after it came out in the arcade (and a half-assed one to boot)? Really, Konami.

Top Bottom