• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Director Takes on Cinema Sins

It's pretty fucking easy, though.

naw. people aren't being honest about what's happening. cinemasins is brought up a lot. so much that they get cinemasins sins videos about them. or videos linked in the thread about how awful they are. or damning statements about them. there's not much to their product because it's not influencing any decisions or whatever, it's just a list of nitpicks. their material is so inoffensive that its pretty hard to understand why folks dislike it. then you learn they make a lot of money. their very popularity is what's the issue but that popularity isn't influencing anything negative. its hard not to see how this isn't about envy. this doesn't mean the "they're unfunny" criticisms aren't legit but where does that take you? i'm trying to think of something they've done wrong but all i can think of is their comedy. are they stealing jokes? are they doing anything morally dubious? i think the hate on cinemasins is far more interesting than their comedy.

Mesoian

Because you're looking at it solely as a thing you can "win." You're even calling it a contest. But it's not a contest.

"I don't know why you share your opinion because someone else has a different one so what's the point" is like... why enter a conversation at all at that point, dude?

Like, what?

I mean, sure.

I guess I was just looking for something a little more interesting than 100 pages of "yeah cinema sins sucks/no it doesn't."

But you're right, I guess...that's the conversation we're having.

dosh

I've come to find that CinemaSin is on point with movies they either super super hate or really really love. Their video for Godzilla (the 2015 one) is really good because they genuinely enjoy that movie. But if they're blaize on a film, the effort they put into the video reflects it, as made obvious by the many many MANNNNNY jump scare horror videos they've reviewed.

That's the thing though: I don't think they can be on point because they're simply not making any point at all.

The sole purpose of their videos is to have a very monotonous and jaded voice list cliches and tropes and make really obvious jokes for 10 to 16 minutes. They're not saying anything.

Just like Bobby Robert's whole schtick feels like a guy who lives in the back of a comic book shop, and I don't post videos complaining about him.

Maybe you should. Be the dream you wish was real.

There's a very thirsty audience for just that sort of content that you could be monopolizing

FUUUUCk.

i was just gonna edit yours to say subpar kitchen implement or whatever but when i clicked quote you added "faulty"

jerk :( /tearface

I have a lot of time in the back of this Comic Shop

Jezan

Cinema Sins was funny when videos were shorter, 10 minutes tops) because they just pointed out serious flaws. Now they last like 20 minutes or more, they are a chore and they nitpick everything.

JCHandsom

Always happy to see CinemaSins get called out for being the lazy, unfunny criticism that it is. It also gets me another chance to recommend the "Everything Wrong With Everything Wrong With" videos. I've only seen two, Sherlock Holmes and Age of Ultron, but those two videos demonstrate how most of the so-called sins are actually misunderstandings of the source material, deliberately taken out of context moments, dumb (and sometimes weirdly derogatory in the case of Black Widow?) jokes, and actual criticisms of the film. The guy points to the "legit" reviews of films the guy does, and many of his criticisms appear unaltered in his dumb jokey-joke video.

B33

Banned
naw. people aren't being honest about what's happening. cinemasins is brought up a lot. so much that they get cinemasins sins videos about them. or videos linked in the thread about how awful they are. or damning statements about them. there's not much to their product because it's not influencing any decisions or whatever, it's just a list of nitpicks. their material is so inoffensive that its pretty hard to understand why folks dislike it. then you learn they make a lot of money. their very popularity is what's the issue but that popularity isn't influencing anything negative. its hard not to see how this isn't about envy. this doesn't mean the "they're unfunny" criticisms aren't legit but where does that take you? i'm trying to think of something they've done wrong but all i can think of is their comedy. are they stealing jokes? are they doing anything morally dubious? i think the hate on cinemasins is far more interesting than their comedy.

They're teaching people an antagonistic way to watch movies that fundamentally doesn't understand how the medium works. It's mean-spirited and rubbish.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
the only decent parts of CinemaSins are the dubbed scenes at the end of the videos.

Besides that, endlesstrash.gif

They're teaching people an antagonistic way to watch movies that fundamentally doesn't understand how the medium works. It's mean-spirited and rubbish.

but where has this been shown to influence movies or reviews? we're just at the point where movies are now slopping in rottentomatoes scores into their TV and internet video ads so do you honestly believe they'll be putting the cinemasin count there?

Nerdkiller

Membeur

DHSYoCKUAAAlg9E.jpg

Cinema Sins was funny when videos were shorter, 10 minutes tops) because they just pointed out serious flaws. Now they last like 20 minutes or more, they are a chore and they nitpick everything.

If I remember correctly, they started doing this because YouTube pays out more to more and longer content. Please correct me if I'm wrong tho, Gaf.

B33

Banned
but where has this been shown to influence movies or reviews? we're just at the point where movies are now slopping in rottentomatoes scores into their TV and internet video ads so do you honestly believe they'll be putting the cinemasin count there?

Look at the number of hits they get and read the comments. It's affecting movie-goers and how they watch movies.

The group is generating revenue off of mean-spirited rubbish.

The studios have been using Rotten Tomatoes for a while. It's not new. The majority of critics and filmmakers know Cinema Sins is bad because they actually understand the medium.

Look at the number of hits they get and read the comments. It's affecting movie-goers and how they watch movies.

The group is generating revenue off of mean-spirited rubbish.

The majority of critics and filmmakers know Cinema Sins is bad because they actually understand the medium.

"how they watch movies" -- does this mean movies are losing money? reviews in general are becoming more lazy? word of mouth is verifiable worse? its hard to say cinemasins is actually hurting the film business.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It has an impact on creative decisions. Nothing happens in a vacuum. These videos get like 4 million views, studios are watching.

The Russo Bros admitted that they tried to Honest Trailers-proof Captain America: The Winter Soldier while they were making it.

rakhir

CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.
CinemaSins is awesome and funny. They always say don't take them seriously and they nitpick because they're dicks.

No, they are not doing cinemasins to make 'comedy', they are treating those videos as 'critiques', as an honest opinions and reviews. Watch this clips (starts at 35m56s):
https://youtu.be/q5YWVne9pDE?t=30m56s

It shows cinemasins guys to seriously think those nitpicks are a legitimate criticism of those movies, not 'shits and giggles'.
If we judge them by those criterias they are a terrible reviews, full of blatant inaccurancies, viewer mistakes, lack of cimena knowledge, just horrible all around.

Lowest-common-denominator film criticism for people who hate film criticism.

Cinema Sins & RLM have trained a lot of younger & newer film fans that the way to watch movies is to compete with them as opposed to experiencing them.

Which is funny because often that same group of people acts as if the purity of the hypothetical filmgoing experience is above and beyond any other possible concern one might have when they sit down at the theater.

So instead of letting the movie be what it is and judging it accordingly, they're sitting down with their arms folded and indulging in an inherently cynical spotting session for "film mistakes" as if there's a total at which a small pile of nitpicks invalidates anything else the film might be doing.

(these mistakes are often always attributed to either hack filmmakers who are just company men, or the company overriding the desires of real filmmakers who simply can't be allowed to be the creative geniuses we know they are, as if those are the only two options for why the film mostly sucks even if it doesn't actually suck.)

Basically, you end up with an audience of people for whom being told they're smarter than every movie they watch is more important than watching movies.

Pretty much. You'd be surprised at how many people bring up the nitpicks as valid criticism.

B33

Banned
"how they watch movies" -- does this mean movies are losing money? reviews in general are becoming more lazy? word of mouth is verifiable worse? its hard to say cinemasins is actually hurting the film business.

It's not hard to say unless you're obtuse.

It's hurting how moviegoers consume the entertainment. It's hurting how they understand the medium. It's a pernicious mindset that ignores what cinematic license means. It ignores the filmmaker's intentions. It's mean-spirited and ignorant of the medium and how the industry works.

Many of the supposed "sins" could be answered if Cinema Sins spent more time watching the actual movie and less time making bad jokes.

Cinema Sins & RLM have trained a lot of younger & newer film fans that the way to watch movies is to compete with them as opposed to experiencing them.

Which is funny because often that same group of people acts as if the purity of the hypothetical filmgoing experience is above and beyond any other possible concern one might have when they sit down at the theater.

So instead of letting the movie be what it is and judging it accordingly, they're sitting down with their arms folded and indulging in an inherently cynical spotting session for "film mistakes" as if there's a total at which a small pile of nitpicks invalidates anything else the film might be doing.

(these mistakes are often always attributed to either hack filmmakers who are just company men, or the company overriding the desires of real filmmakers who simply can't be allowed to be the creative geniuses we know they are, as if those are the only two options for why the film mostly sucks even if it doesn't actually suck.)

Basically, you end up with an audience of people for whom being told they're smarter than every movie they watch is more important than watching movies.

Oh shit... I didn't wanna be the one to make this connection. But it's absolutely true. Plinkett reviews are just Cinemasin videos by people who can kinda string along a coherent thought.

Honest trailers is far superior to cinema sins. It is possible to make fun of movies in a silly way which I think honest trailers achieves. Cinema sins is just negativity and nitpicks in an unfunny way in some desperate attempt to seem intellectually superior to creative people without actually having to do anything creative themselves.

Honest Trailers will also say things like "this is really dumb or unrealistic, but it's cool so who cares!" which for the types of movies SC and HT critique, is the right attitude.

JCHandsom

Sin: Too many words, not enough lapdance lol

*DING*

It has an impact on creative decisions. Nothing happens in a vacuum. These videos get like 4 million views, studios are watching.

The Russo Bros admitted that they tried to Honest Trailers-proof Captain America: The Winter Soldier while they were making it.

so, you truly believe that movie studios actually discuss how not to get a high cinemasin score? like, for real?

the russo brothers can say anything during a comedy youtube show. i doubt they try to honest-proof their movie. its probably more they like the show and will talk about it at the water cooler and think, "i wonder how they'll get our movie". i doubt it impacts their creative decisions because you can't prepare for something that hasn't been verbalized yet.

Wolfe

What? Is this a common belief? I enjoy Cinema Sins and I've never gotten the impression it was anything other than tongue-in-cheek fun. Do people really think the guy thinks good movies are made bad by the stuff he points out for comedy purposes?

Except that in a lot of cases the stuff he points out is either completely wrong or contextually false, in that case what exactly is the point as the "humor" is just based on stuff you've embellished or made up.

DOWN

Banned
I hate Cinema Sins. They rely on playing obtuse for them to make any sense. It’s like they insist on maximum exposition or else they say it’s a plot hole because the scene didn’t show literally everything. No human has that little of logic and can still watch movies.

dosh

I agree. Being smarter than every movie you watch is something you earn by actually watching a shit ton of movies. Not by casually browsing Youtube channels. I FOUGHT FOR THAT FEELING OF SUPERIORITY GODAMMIT, IT WAS NOT HANDED DOWN TO ME.

shaneo632

Director is mistaking comedy for serious criticism. Granted a lot of CinemaSins' fans also make this mistake. It's intended to be obtuse and flippant, but he's missed that.

Fuchsdh

This is just as mean-spirited as I'd expect from someone defending CinemaSins, and simultaneously manages to be a very succinct argument against CinemaSins. Like, really, bravo.

I don't get what's mean-spirited about it. I don't get the argument that CinemaSins is somehow "killing" the noble pastime of movie watching when fans have been arguing about this sort of stuff since before the internet, and I don't buy the idea of the "right" and canonical way to experience a movie. Movies don't have feelings, and if the creators are getting bent out of shape about people nitpicking errors in continuity, then they must really hate when actual film reviewers call their movies crap. Which, right there, is another reason why this "CinemaSins is killing criticism" argument is nonsense. Film criticism has a decades-long tradition of savage reviews that are mostly just about polishing one's cred and putting entertainment over information. Why is a far more mild internet version of this somehow the damaging factor?

I missed where the Russo Brothers suddenly started making shit movies because they were infected by the evils of CinemaSins.

Sephzilla

keep your RLM hate out of this. They're nowhere near the drivel level that CinemaSins are

I mean, when a movie like Kong is clearly made to be a more artistically crafted take on this kind of film. and most of the "criticisms" they have with the film boil down to, "But I don't like it!", it's hard to take anything they say seriously.

There's pointing out flaws, and then there's intentionally misunderstanding the point of a film to try and garner some cheap laughs.

Top Bottom