• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island Director Takes on Cinema Sins

I FOUGHT FOR THAT FEELING OF SUPERIORITY GODAMMIT, IT WAS NOT HANDED DOWN TO ME.

81BTimpYB2L._SX355_.jpg

Slacker

Except that in a lot of cases the stuff he points out is either completely wrong or contextually false, in that case what exactly is the point as the "humor" is just based on stuff you've embellished or made up.

Ok? Would you be upset if you found our Louie CK didn't really talk to a guy who was having trouble with his cell phone before telling a story about it in his act? I guess I just don't understand the criticism here. Seems like the most frivolous/harmless comedy in the world to me.

JCHandsom

keep your RLM hate out of this. They're nowhere near the drivel level that CinemaSins are

I would say they're on the same spectrum as CS in terms of impacting (negatively) online discourse of popular films. Any conversation about Star Wars is going to elicit an "It's so dense" or "It's like poetry, it rhymes" as if those are legitimate criticisms or insights in and of themselves.

CinemaSins is, literally, just pointing out flaws in films... if you don't want your film on it, don't have flaws.

It's also comedy, I'm fairly certain those guys onlt nitpick because it's funny.

Except a lot of the shit they complain about isn't flaws at all and they're either ignoring the clarity to make a point or they're too dumb to understand what's going on.

This is one of four (I think) videos pointing out the CinemaSins bullshit: https://youtu.be/_qxgkOIsHUs

Bronx-Man

Banned
Bobby's right. Film criticism's being destroyed by people that can't just sit down and watch a fucking movie. Everyone wants to be first to tear down whatever.

JCHandsom

Seems like the most frivolous/harmless comedy in the world to me.

The problem is that the videos aren't just comedy, they actually put their opinions of the film into CS videos. So the comedy isn't all there because some of the sins were meant to be taken seriously (and thus were actually just them not paying attention to context), and what little criticism there is diluted for the sake of dumb, unfunny jokes.

I would say they're on the same spectrum as CS in terms of impacting (negatively) online discourse of popular films. Any conversation about Star Wars is going to elicit an "It's so dense" or "It's like poetry, it rhymes" as if those are legitimate criticisms or insights in and of themselves.

You literally can't bring up Boyhood, a kind-of wonderful film, on this site without someone screaming: "IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE" because they saw it on a shitty RLM video instead of actually watching Boyhood.

Sephzilla

That seems only to happen with the prequels, not necessarily the OT. I don't lump RLM with the CS tier because RLM at least offers some criticisms that actually have merit and value and aren't just completely oblivious to the tone of a scene. Plus they will often offer an alternative suggestion to make the scene or movie better as well as compliment anything a movie actually does well. Basically the RLM guys seem like they have some level of knowledge when it comes to movie making, while the CinemaSins guys are literally just guys who don't have a clue.

My biggest complaint about RLM is their stupid dark humor shit they put into their earlier Plinkett videos

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

Their Plinkett Reviews are similarly cynical and nit-picky to Cinema Sins, but the rest of their output not so much.

People saying that CinemaSins isn't meant to be real criticism still use it as a foundation for their own.

"It's just a joke and not real criticism, no one is taking it seriously"

*then links a CinemaSins video or image in another movie thread as some kind of counterargument*

"But there's some truth to their criticisms and this nitpick kinda embodies everything that's wrong with the film as a whole!"

When you distill film criticism into easily shareable memes, it really does ruin discourse. There is so much more wrong with BvS than "Martha!"

jett

D-Member
It has an impact on creative decisions. Nothing happens in a vacuum. These videos get like 4 million views, studios are watching.

The Russo Bros admitted that they tried to Honest Trailers-proof Captain America: The Winter Soldier while they were making it.

That is incredibly dumb.

Shaanyboi

Banned
CinemaSins is fucking awful. It's obnoxious internet armchair nitpicking to such an obnoxious degree, while having no grasp on style, intent, or even context.

Wolfe

Oh shit... I didn't wanna be the one to make this connection. But it's absolutely true. Plinkett reviews are just Cinemasin videos by people who can kinda string along a coherent thought.

So you disagree with his ghostbusters review? Just curious. The RLM guys have their issues but to lump them in with cinema sins seems way excessive to me. Admittedly I haven't seen any of their recent movie review vids in a bit but overall I enjoy their stuff and have never gotten that kinda vibe from it, I've also disagreed with them on stuff at times.

Ok? Would you be upset if you found our Louie CK didn't really talk to a guy who was having trouble with his cell phone before telling a story about it in his act? I guess I just don't understand the criticism here. Seems like the most frivolous/harmless comedy in the world to me.

Give me a break, can you not see the difference between a joke made up for stand up comedy vs lying about details to make a "joke" about a movie that doesn't even apply?

Seems like the complete opposite to "comedy" to me.

Sephzilla

So you disagree with his ghostbusters review? Just curious. The RLM guys have their issues but to lump them in with cinema sins seems way excessive to me. Admittedly I haven't seen any of their recent movie review vids in a bit but overall I enjoy their stuff and have never gotten that kinda vibe from it, I've also disagreed with them on stuff at times.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm cool with people trying to backdoor RLM bash when the RLM guys have demonstrated to some level of competence.

Neverfade

Cinema Sins isn't now, nor has ever been funny or interesting and I find that usually the people who enjoy it aren't either.

The only thing separating RLM from CS is that RLM forms their nitpicks into mostly coherent video essays and CS just farts up the first thing that comes to mind as the movie plays out.

Cinemasins are fine. Then again, I'm not easily triggered by some dumb YouTube vids.

Thanks for letting us know, brave YouTube viewer.

Aiii

So not worth it
Was subbed to cinamesins for a short while. Their first few videos were generally funny so I figured I would sub and enjoy more content. Then I quickly realized their newer work (this was a year or maybe more ago) was neither fun norminsightful. They counted “suns”for perfectly reasonable and normal scenes and dialogue.

I see they are still at it and I can see how a director would get annoyed at non-criticism like that getting so many views while poisoning impressionable viewers on his movie.

Cinemasins is garbage tier comedy and this video proves it. MST3K/Rifftrax is funny because they actually watch the movie and spent time enjoying it and writing jokes about it. CinemaSins is basically let's do everything as half assed as we can but then also somehow blame it on the movie itself as if we are actually critical of it. If your show fails at the two things it's trying to do it's just bad.

Edit: totally agree with Kong, young impressional people watching this kind of tripe hurts the movie industry and we be better off without it.

Catvoca

Banned

I'd say that's less RLM's fault and more people who incessantly quote things and think it's funny, in the same way that "The cake is a lie" wasn't bad writing, it was just the internet repeated it until it was obnoxious as fuck.

Sure. I think Ghostbusters is fine. It's not great. It's not as good as the original. But, it's fine. Not that I think the problem is the fact that they dislike Ghostbusters. I don't care about that. David Ehrlich, one of my favorite critics, dislikes Ghostbusters. I think the idea of spending an hour tearing apart Ghostbusters a year after any and all conversation has died down, so that you can reignite the passions of a toxic fanbase and reap the rewards through ad rev is a bigger problem. It's, like CinemaSins, really just cynical lowest common denominator criticism. They're just better at presenting it.

Sephzilla

Sure. I think Ghostbusters is fine. It's not great. It's not as good as the original. But, it's fine. Not that I think the problem is the fact that they dislike Ghostbusters. I don't care about that. David Ehrlich, one of my favorite critics, dislikes Ghostbusters. I think the idea of spending an hour tearing apart Ghostbusters a year after any and all conversation has died down, so that you can reignite the passions of a toxic fanbase and reap the rewards through ad rev is a bigger problem. It's, like CinemaSins, really just cynical lowest common denominator criticism. They're just better at presenting it.

Why does everybody just assume that they made the Ghostbusters review just to reignite the toxic fanbase and reap rewards for it?

Why are you only allowed to make a breakdown video/review of a movie when it's a brand new movie?

Aiii

So not worth it
Why does everybody just assume that they made the Ghostbusters review just to reignite the toxic fanbase and reap rewards for it?

There were over a dozen pages on the Plinkett anouncement of people going the sexism angle, and the actual review did nothing outside of praising the actresses while blaming the writing and direction of the movie's flaws. What do you think? People like to think up narratives to make sure they are always right.

Sephzilla

There were over a dozen pages on the Plinkett anouncement of people going the sexism angle, and the actual review did nothing outside of praising the actresses while blaming the writing and direction of the movie’s flaws. What do you think? People like to think up narratives to make sure they are always right.

I was relieved that they didn't go into that stuff at all and kept the focus on the movie and what worked and didn't work. Honestly their Ghostbusters review was maybe the most well put together and fair breakdown they've done under the Plinkett banner aside from maybe Titanic or Star Trek 09. So people trying to lump them in with CinemaSins really confuses the shit out of me.

I don't find Cinema Sins always funny
but I do find it funny.

But I also don't just watch Cinema Sins, I look at movie reviews, I watch RLM, I read some user opinions.

The issue isn't just Cinema Sins, the issue is people don't want to engage in actual discussion about a movie if they want to hate it, and they don't look at multiple sources, everybody is just looking for the confirmation to their pre-established opinions.

I also never found honest trailers funny, opinions and all I suppose.

Feel free to hate me, I guess.

p.s. I did like Kong.

Let's actually just sum this all up - I don't watch CinemaSins for meaningful criticism on a movie, AND NEITHER SHOULD ANYONE ELSE

yuoke

Banned

if RLM is lowest common denominator, then what is something like chris stuckman?

yuoke

Banned
Am not a fan of how CinemaSins constantly shits all over every film. There's no such thing as a perfect movie.

They don't shit over every movie. They have sinned literally tons of movies that jeremy loves. It's meant to be fun nitpicks because nitpicking is fun to a lot of people.

Top Bottom