• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kong: Skull Island |OT| For your health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

Watched it last night, also first time watching in 4dx and it was a blast! Getting sprayed with water whenever blood sprayed was pretty fun.

I read a slashfilm article about the director's video game and anime influences:
http://www.slashfilm.com/kong-skull-island-influences/#more-403072

There’s an Easter egg to Kings of Summer. There are specific Mononoke Easter eggs. There are Zelda Easter eggs. There are Akira Easter eggs. There are, what else we got, a Metal Gear Easter egg in the movie. There’s an Alien Easter egg in the movie. There is, I mean, it’s pretty endless.
And was wondering if anyone caught any of the Easter Eggs. I'm looking for the Metal Gear Solid one, especially since this is the guy who will be directing it...

The only references I got were the
Jurassic Park, pulp Fiction and First person shooter ones

DJChuy

Movie was fun. The monster battles/action were great and entertaining, and the good thing is there's a bunch of action sprinkled throughout the movie. Once you're getting bored with the human stuff, the movie throws in some action to wake you up.

The characters were bland for the most part. Too many characters but very weak character development. Riley and Jackson were the only characters I felt were interesting. Hiddleson gets some points too only because he's gorgeous to look at.

gamz

Watched it last night, also first time watching in 4dx and it was a blast! Getting sprayed with water whenever blood sprayed was pretty fun.

I read a slashfilm article about the director's video game and anime influences:
http://www.slashfilm.com/kong-skull-island-influences/#more-403072

There's an Easter egg to Kings of Summer. There are specific Mononoke Easter eggs. There are Zelda Easter eggs. There are Akira Easter eggs. There are, what else we got, a Metal Gear Easter egg in the movie. There's an Alien Easter egg in the movie. There is, I mean, it's pretty endless.
And was wondering if anyone caught any of the Easter Eggs. I'm looking for the Metal Gear Solid one, especially since this is the guy who will be directing it...

The only references I got were the
Jurassic Park, pulp Fiction and First person shooter ones

Old Boy was an obvious reference as was King Kong vs Godzilla.

Enjoyed it a lot, the fight scenes were pretty awesome and the connection to Godzilla got me really excited for Godzilla: King of Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong.

bosseye

Really fun film, lots of crazy monster action. Tonally it was a bit odd for me though, merry action banter followed by people getting mulched fairly graphically for a 12A rating I thought.

Also definitely felt like a much longer film that had been aggressively chopped down. Captain Holts husband from Brooklyn 99 was a total non character that didn't appear to have any point. I assume he had more screentime originally.

But yep, good fun overall.

Yeah and there's some guy on his phone as well.

Is this an American thing? I've yet to see anything like that happen at the cinemas in England. If anyone is ever talking too loud, someone generally shouts at them to shut up from across the room and they basically do.

Damn, I'd be so pissed to have a movie experience like that, I feel for you guys.

I really liked Shea Whigham and his character but his
death was complete garbage. "Let me heroically sacrifice myself and injure the creatu"-NOPE.

The monsters were cool but I think Jackson's Kong made them more terrifying.

gamz

death was complete garbage. "Let me heroically sacrifice myself and injure the creatu"-NOPE.

I loved his death. I love how it side-stepped the cliche. Wonderful scene.

Bentendo

Is this an American thing? I've yet to see anything like that happen at the cinemas in England. If anyone is ever talking too loud, someone generally shouts at them to shut up from across the room and they basically do.

Damn, I'd be so pissed to have a movie experience like that, I feel for you guys.

Yup, every god damn time. Of course someone brought their baby to the screening I saw. I knew within thirty minutes they would leave and sure enough, the second Kong throws a tree at a helicopter the kid starts screaming.

Really fun film, lots of crazy monster action. Tonally it was a bit odd for me though, merry action banter followed by people getting mulched fairly graphically for a 12A rating I thought.

Also definitely felt like a much longer film that had been aggressively chopped down. Captain Holts husband from Brooklyn 99 was a total non character that didn't appear to have any point. I assume he had more screentime originally.

But yep, good fun overall.

Yep it did feel like some bits had been trimmed for time / pacing, I wonder if there will be a longer, unrated or directors cut on blu-ray.

You think that wasn't on purpose? It was darkly comic.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I didnt enjoy it too much. The writing was offensively bad at times, the editing was reminiscent of Suicide Squad, and the action was merely alright I thought. Godzilla 2014 way better than this mess.

You think that wasn't on purpose? It was darkly comic.

I suppose, but nobody in my theater laughed, most went "Ahh fuck".

Maybe it would've worked better if one of the lizards died by eating an explosive and the one that killed Cole did the tail swipe because it knew better?

I'd like to make clear I don't dislike what they did, I just liked the character.
Could've had him live and kill the other guy who wasn't Slivko or Eazy-E.

Elitist1945

Yup, every god damn time. Of course someone brought their baby to the screening I saw. I knew within thirty minutes they would leave and sure enough, the second Kong throws a tree at a helicopter the kid starts screaming.

There was a baby in my viewing too. Like whhyyyy.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Died after reading this review.

So excited.

[Review] ‘Kong: Skull Island’ is the King’s Most Wildly Entertaining Outing to Date

'And really, at the end of the day, this one is all about the monsters. I’d need to use both hands to count the number of truly epic monster sequences in Kong: Skull Island; from Kong literally ripping army copters out of the sky to a final battle that rivals the one that capped off Jurassic World, the visuals and set-pieces in Kong’s latest outing are executed with such childlike glee that they’ll make you feel like a kid again. As glimpsed in the trailer, there’s even a battle between Kong and a giant squid that will leave you breathless and have you grinning from ear-to-ear.'

gamz

I suppose, but nobody in my theater laughed, most went "Ahh fuck".

Maybe it would've worked better if one of the lizards died by eating an explosive and the one that killed Cole did the tail swipe because it knew better?

I'd like to make clear I don't dislike what they did, I just liked the character.
Could've had him live and kill the other guy who wasn't Slivko or Eazy-E.

Because it works perfectly with the character. War vet, not very bright, and here's his hero moment. Oops. It was so darkly funny because of the character.

Saw this on Friday night, was a super fun movie! Cant say anything bad about it. Love how it didnt mess around, it setup the plot super quick and it just took off.

Bentendo

Saw it last night. It was a fun movie, though I was expecting more monsters for some reason. Only really six different types, and that's including the buffalo. Kicking myself that I didn't stick around to see what the after credits thing.

So for the cave paintings of Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, did they look more or less like their classic incarnations?
Pretty much spot on like their classic incarnations.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Saw this last week. Decidedly average movie with some fun moments. Didn't buy Hiddleston as a grizzled ex SAS soldier, and Jackson's character was so disappointingly shallow.

Additionally, I was irked by several things in the movie such as

- The island being "50 miles away" when they were on the ship, but only taking 60 seconds to get there through the storm
- The "blue shirt" Landsat guy suddenly appearing out of nowhere when the two groups joined back up initially (he wasn't with either before right?)
- The whole spiel about not being able to make the north of the island in 3 days, only to spend a whole day fixing the boat, then spending hardly any time on it and mostly heading in some other direction on foot, only to end up where they needed to be in the end without much help from the boat anyway

gamz

Saw this last week. Decidedly average movie with some fun moments. Didn't buy Hiddleston as a grizzled ex SAS soldier, and Jackson's character was so disappointingly shallow.

Additionally, I was irked by several things in the movie such as

- The island being "50 miles away" when they were on the ship, but only taking 60 seconds to get there through the storm
- The "blue shirt" Landsat guy suddenly appearing out of nowhere when the two groups joined back up initially (he wasn't with either before right?)
- The whole spiel about not being able to make the north of the island in 3 days, only to spend a whole day fixing the boat, then spending hardly any time on it and mostly heading in some other direction on foot, only to end up where they needed to be in the end without much help from the boat anyway

On your first spoiler. What did you want real time?

Shredderi

The monster battles were fun and entertaining but as a whole I was left cold. When the credits started rolling I was like "wait wait what? That was the finale?". I felt like it lacked proper build up and payoff. Also, less boring character stuff and more creatures fighting each other. I did watch the end credit scene and understood it. Also is it just me or
did the Kong feel much bigger at the beginning of the film compared to the last battle?

xHiryu

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSS

same with godzilla, this film shines when kong is on screen. as the movie progressed it got progressively worse, when they first get to skull island and they introduce Kong its awesome. thanks to the budget and the cinematography at times, kong is breathtaking and looks the part as the king of the Island.

Reilly and Jackson were solid but my biggest issue was Brie Larson's character. dont get me wrong, beautiful lady and solid actress but her character is simply worthless. she doesnt do shit and for whatever reason everyone listens to her when she speaks, thankfully jackson's character called her the fuck out. so many bs tropes in the film though like the guy sacrificing himself instead of simply throwing the grenade, eazy-e's character finding chapman's note to his son and even the shit writing.

a solid 6/10, worth it for kong alone and some of the visuals were fucking ace

Saw it a few hours ago. That was a fun film, with issues.

Horrible editing and pacing. The dialogue was... Not good. The scene to scene transitions were all over the place.

But the action and the Kong scenes were what I went to see in the first place, so I had a blast regardless. And oh yeah, John C Reilly totally owned.

I can't wait for Kong and Godzilla to meet. Oh man.

Regarding the sequels, I'm firmly on Team Kong because of this movie. I find it laughable that people considered Godzilla any kind of savior at the end of his movie. Godzilla don't care, at least not this new one.

jond76

Banned

I knew I knew him from somewhere. He was in a great little creature movie called Splinter.

I was hoping he would hurt the bastard but nope. That did suck

Just got back from seeing this. I highly enjoyed the film, it was about as goofy as I had anticipated.

In regards to characters, Jackson was ace (as always), Reilly surprised the shit out of me with how well he did his character, Larson's characters felt largely there for show
(if she had died after Kong threw the big SkullChaser at her it would have aided the film I feel, have Kong show some remorse over killing her)
, and Hiddleston had some decent acting, but a pretty flat character.

Plot-wise, I felt it was nice and tight. It had a very clear end-goal and every diversion actually made sense as to why they did it. Obviously nothing complex or particularly interesting, but I don't think anyone expected that.

Visually, the film was pretty goddamn amazing. It had both great effects for every creature, particularly during the fight scenes, and had a lot of great desktop background shots. I particularly loved how the scene where they fight the
giant spider-thing
was shot. Usually I hate fast-edit fight scenes, but it actually served a purpose with that one, making it difficult to determine what was environment versus what was monster.

End credits scene was phenomenal,
Ghidora had best be in at least half of Godzilla 2. #RodanDiedForOurRedSpiralRay

Yes, I wanted real time.

Or how about they just changed the comment on the distance to be "a couple of miles away" so there was actually some consistency?

Eh, they tell you how far, then you see them flying. It's supposed to add up in your head. Don't know why people get hung up on inconsequential nonsense like this.

OldMan

Banned
Classic, quality shots that will no doubt stand the test of time. I liked Samuel L. Jackson's aggressive approach better than Loki's and even Jackson's death scenes are badass. Here's an interview with the director (sorry in advance if already posted)
https://youtu.be/ty5mWqDLv28

oxidax

I dont know why I disliked it so much. I might need to rewatch it again to change my mind, but I really didn't like it. I think my problem is with the characters and the comic corny stuff they were doing from time to time. Maybe I just took the movie to serious? Or I thought it was going to be a more serious like movie and the comedy bits threw me off? Idk..I might just need to rewatch it.

Falchion

Sitting through the credits now waiting for the last scene, really enjoyed this movie. Way better than Jackson's and I like how they set it up for the future.

SpartanN92

Banned
I loved it!

Some incredible camera movements and the cinematography was top notch. Art direction was great!

Man that Kong v Helicopters scene was incredible

JdFoX187

Banned
Regarding the sequels, I'm firmly on Team Kong because of this movie. I find it laughable that people considered Godzilla any kind of savior at the end of his movie. Godzilla don't care, at least not this new one.
That was the whole point of his character. He didn't give a fuck about anyone else but the MUTOs. I hated that fucking ending with the television coverage. Really threw off the tone at the end.

expel

Watched yesterday fun movie. Pretty sure that Chinese scientist lady is in the film because Tancent asked for it lol

That was the whole point of his character. He didn't give a fuck about anyone else but the MUTOs. I hated that fucking ending with the television coverage. Really threw off the tone at the end.

Yep, definitely. Kong can look into a person's eyes and they can convey some sort of meaning between them, as evidenced in the movie.

From what I remember, in Godzilla's movie, Godzilla gets hit hard and has an eye to eye moment with Quicksilver that just felt silly.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Eh, they tell you how far, then you see them flying. It's supposed to add up in your head. Don't know why people get hung up on inconsequential nonsense like this.

They tell you how far and then something totally different and inconsistent happens. I did "add it up in my head" and it didn't make sense.

It isn't inconsequential if it strikes right at your suspension of disbelief, and it could have been fixed with a simple dialog change. It's sloppy film making.

Saw it last night. It was a fun movie, though I was expecting more monsters for some reason. Only really six different types, and that's including the buffalo. Kicking myself that I didn't stick around to see what the after credits thing.

So for the cave paintings of Mothra, Rodan, and King Ghidorah, did they look more or less like their classic incarnations?

Sooo..... I'm going to send you a picture in pm

but yeah, they are cave paintings but they keep the correct forms, mothra is painted in moth form not larva, Ghidorah has a cave painting where it's just this diesel 3 headed outline, Rodan looks like Rodan, but the final picture is Godzilla and Ghidorah, looking a lot bigger than Godzilla, that what I'm sending you

So, I guess it's best to ask here, but regarding the after credits scene...

Do the monsters all fight each other or can they coexist? I know nothing of classic Godzilla except that King Ghidorah is the biggest and baddest. Like, can Mothra and Rodan be friends with each other and tag team Godzilla, or is it going to be one gigantic 'fuck you all!' melee?

B33

Banned
Overall, I like Kong: Skull Island more than Jurassic World, King Kong (2005), and Godzilla (2014).

The editing is jarring at times and some scenes feel uneven with their pacing. The movie is overreliant on licensed music. It also lacks
a strong central character until John C. Reilly's character shows up later.

The aesthetic, time period, and design of Kong are compelling. I love the
battle between Kong and the massive "Skullcrawler" at the end.

error4041

Probably a stupid question, when John Goodman was telling Sam Jackson about how he was the only survivor of a monster attack, and how it motivated him to find the island for proof of monsters. Was the attack he was refering to, referencing Godzilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom