• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Gamestop has sold out preorder deluxe Wii U stock nationwide

I am kind of surprised given the economy, changes in the market, etc. I thought that it would be fairly easy to get ahold of a Wii U. I didn't think it would be a flop, just that it would be readily available.

I guess we'll see how quickly retailers are able to restock.

Either way I'm glad I didn't hesitate on pre-ordering one. This will be my first Nintendo console since the SNES.

It was next to impossible to find a PS2 for months after launch in the states.

Oh man, it's just people being Nintendo haters, they like to forget shit that actually happened. I remember standing in line and not being able to purchase a PS2 in a small ass town with only 7 ppl in front of me. It was forever before I could find one.

Pitmonkey

1347691835_7027_List.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii...uy-option-pulled-from-website?cid=db_articles

If there's at least 6000 stores in the GameStop chain, and each store was allotted 20 units between both basic and deluxe, that's 120,000 units right there.

6683 worldwide. Considering the use of the term "nationwide," the relevant figure is that, as of January 2012, there are 4503 stores in the US. The flat distribution (using the aforementioned 20 units per store) would be 90060 units. We'll have to wait for a more accurate per-store range, as I doubt they would use a flat distribution considering the traffic differences between individual stores.

Reclaimer

Best buy in the south bay area still has in store pickup on the deluxe.

Gilroy to be specific.

It's maybe 30 min from me (at my driving speed! Google says 45) so not too bad.

It's a new tech device created by a popular company. This isn't really surprising. The question is, will it continue to sell like the Wii did for many months?

January 2007
"We don't have any Wiis in at the moment"
"Can I reserve one for when you do?"
"No."
"Do you know when you'll get stock in?"
"No."
:(

antonz

There was Gamestop people yesterday saying 100K units were allocated for the initial preorders. How that is split is the question.

Gameboy415

I was stuck at work during the conference on Thursday but I pre-ordered a Deluxe set on Gamestop.com as soon as I heard they were available.
I pre-ordered another one at my local store after work too (so I could pick it up/play on Day 1 and not have to wait for the online order to ship).

I was planning to wait it out and see if my local store isn't able to fulfill pre-orders before cancelling my online order, but it sounds like Wii U may be impossible to find at launch after all so I'll probably just keep both and give the extra one to my little step-sister for X-mas.

My Dad and Step-Mom always ask me to find the most impossible-to-find electronics for her every Christmas so this would be a nice preemptive strike on my part, haha.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Have they said how many units they're shipping at launch? I wonder if this is Nintendo orchestrating another one of their N64/Wii shortages to get marketing and demand up.

hahaha

Do you know how much money nintendo lost because they were not able to supply enough Wii consoles for two whole years???

Wii shortages were not orchestrated. (there was some holiday supply held back to have something during holidays, but they were producing at capacity the whole time)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
January 2007
"We don't have any Wiis in at the moment"
"Can I reserve one for when you do?"
"No."
"Do you know when you'll get stock in?"
"No."
:(
I had friends who waited weeks to get a wii. Didn't think this situation could happen with Wii U, but I won't take the risk. I'm preordering today.

Hero

In what part of the country were PS2s plentiful at launch? I worked at Toys R Us at the time and I had literally MOBS of people every day leading up to Christmas asking/pleading/begging/bribing me to sell them a PS2. I even had threats of physical injury at one point. It was sad as hell.

For the Wii I remember it being sold out for months, even past the holiday period.

I pre-ordered one at Best Buy and one at Gamestop just to cover my bases.

_woLf

Tentative dates, tentative prices. They are just there so they can take preorders for the games. They're trying to get everything available to preorder as fast as possible so they aren't really trying to be legit. You can't preorder the pro controller right now at my gamestop.

hahaha

Do you know how much money nintendo lost because they were not able to supply enough Wii consoles for two whole years???

Wii shortages were not orchestrated. (there was some holiday supply held back to have something during holidays, but they were producing at capacity the whole time)

LOL I remember reading on GAF where people kept saying this, then Nintendo made a statement that they were making Wii's at capacity, and were opening up more plants to keep up with demand. Even then people still said they were creating artificial shortages.

Then the NPD numbers came out, and everyone kept saying it was just a fad. Good times >.<

acm2000

Without knowing how many they had in the first place, its rather useless, Sony, ms, Nintendo all use these same tactics at launch

Wow. I was able to get away with waiting until a week before 3DS launch, thooooough in retrospect I guess we know that launch was a bit supply>demand. I was going to reserve mine Monday morning, but I guess it's late for that.
Holy Wars said:
I'm surprised the deluxe version is popular.

Nothing about it seems appealing to me. I'm assuming Nintendo have focused a lot more on standard stock or something.
For the price of a game it includes a game, extra storage, stand, cradle, and a color choice some will prefer. I only care about half that, but it's enough.

linkboy

Only reason I'm not getting a Wii U at launch is because I'm going to be deployed (just like I was when the Wii launched).

Maybe if I get lucky, my wife will pick one up and it'll be waiting for me.

Surely they aren't sold out on pre-orders in every store in every state in the entire United States unless there were only 2-3 capacity per store, most stores that'd all be taken by employees.
Are we sure this isn't technically talking about Gamestop.com (US)?

This isn't a hot product in the eye of the public yet, if it was I could see it selling out on pre-orders, but that's not the case. The people who jumped at preordering as soon as it was announced are not the masses. This is not PS2 level demand (yet). Many haven't even heard the words "Wii U" yet.
Anyway, the number must be really small per-store and taken minute-one by employees in most stores.
I'd be interested in hearing the official preorder capacity per-store so far.

And the chances of in-store preorders opening up again are...?

Rich!

Surely they aren't sold out on pre-orders in every store in every state in the entire United States unless there were only 2-3 capacity per store, most stores that'd all be taken by employees.
This isn't a hot product in the eye of the public yet, if it was I could see it selling out on pre-orders, but that's not the case. The people who jumped at preordering as soon as it was announced are not the masses. This is not PS2 level demand (yet).

And the chances of in-store preorders opening up again are...?

Your point would stand if the allocation was per store. its not. Its one allocation for the entire company.

Lets say there are three stores in a company, with an allocation of 20 consoles. Store 1 and 2 presale ten each. Store 3 is shit out of luck.

Its on a first come, first serve basis.

Oh god Ninty - I hope you sort out those supply issues this time :D

Still - is anyone really surprised?
This will be what happens:

Household Member 1: We should get the new WiiU; its got another NSMBU; Wii Fit and will have all the other Nintendo games ofc.
Household Member 2: I'm not sure, its expensive, is there any other games?
Household Member 1: Yeah theres a Zombie game, Fifa, and a bunch of other things coming up.
Household Member 2: Alright then, I've not been playing my PS360 recently anyway.

Seriously though - Nintendo you really need to get a hold of the amount of units you can get out there!

Top Bottom