• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

I can believe this and felt this way since the start. I really hope this is a wake up call for journos who were giving this game of the show two E3s ago or whatever. You can't go gaga over a video at a videogame convention.

The Infinite presentation I got two years ago had a guy actively playing it, making it a viable candidate for a convention nomination. That it didn't represent the final game is a different story.

this game is doomed. I should really cancel my pre-order but it's only $34

I don't get this mentality. They said loud and clear "hey, we won't talk about it or show it until we have something that is representing final gameplay, we are still launching in feb 2013, bye!". Just because there is not a new screenshot and trailer every week doesn't mean it's dead or canned. At some point they have to make a game and focus on that.

Hindle

Banned
I'm also thinking Ken Levine will be done with big budget games after this, or maybe retire altogether. Rather that or 2K will be done with him.

The Infinite presentation I got two years ago had a guy actively playing it, making it a viable candidate for a convention nomination. That it didn't represent the final game is a different story.

It's not about the award. But the coverage around Prey 2 and Infinite. Everyone was blown away by the scripted demos and showed no restraint in singing them praise.

Riposte

My intent should be clear. A "demo" which only an employee can play isn't much better than a video.

ironcreed

Banned
I lost hype a long time ago. Besides, a little game called Dishonored is coming out next week and looks far more exciting to me. For the record, the only reason I even offer comparison is the vibe of the art, the powers and being in first person. Other than that, they are of course fundamentally different games. Even so, it came roaring onto the scene, while Infinite has faded into the shadows.

I lost hype a long time ago. Besides, a little game called Dishonored is coming out next week and looks far more exciting to me. For the record, the only reason I even offer comparison is the vibe of the art, the powers and being in first person. Other than that, they are of course fundamentally different games. Even so, it came roaring onto the scene, while Infinite has faded into the shadows.

yea me too, I lost all hype long time ago. I pre-ordered this TWO e3's ago!!!

It's not about the award. But the coverage around Prey 2 and Infinite. Everyone was blown away by the scripted demos and showed no restraint in singing them praise.

Well thats what vertical slices / trade demo's are for the most part. Something that is made solely for presentation purposes that doesn't represent the final product. It's made so it seems stable and gives the viewer an idea of what the game will be like two years from now.

Yeah it's cheating, but if they showed what the game actually looked like at the time of development, people would been screaming how broken and boring it looked. Hell, the one presentation of Prey 2 I got bugged out and they had to enable no-clip to get the player character into the game world again, and afterwards I heard people talking about how buggy and bad the game is, and they wouldn't buy it now because if that.

So I totally fully understand why a company uses vertical slices, and at the end of the day singing praise is because people decide to believe in what they see and take it as a promise as to what the entire game will be.

My intent should be clear. A "demo" which only an employee can play isn't much better than a video.

True, but at least in this way they qualify for awards, which is pretty important for marketing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Is it 2k burning Levine out or Levine burning himself out with all his ambition?

I think it's the latter.

Anyway, it's Rod Fergusson's shirt for today:

A4eD3urCcAAcWPh.jpg:large

It seems that mood is pretty positive there!

Interfectum

So I'm guessing they are done with their part of the game and need something new to move on to or Bioshock Infinite is fucked.

Or both.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm guessing they got done what needed done and are leaving now, this game has took a lot of their time and if they are given the opportunity to get paid/credit for the game and work elsewhere then they'll probably work elsewhere.

Can someone give me a update. I read the OP a while ago and hoped it was just PR Doom and Gloom but you guys all still seem legitimately worried. What else has happened?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Can someone give me a update. I read the OP a while ago and hoped it was just PR Doom and Gloom but you guys all still seem legitimately worried. What else has happened?

Nothing, that's why people are worried. The game went from having a pretty regular showing of various features to the press and fans to absolute silence and no one on the dev will talk. That's pretty telling. It's also never been playable by anyone but the dev team. I'm not as worried as some are, I just do not believe that the game will be out in February. I'm expecting summer.

Parallacs

I wish they would just cut multiplayer completely. These types of games never have compelling multiplayer anyway.

A week old quote but I'm genuinely wondering if you can make a great multiplayer in this type of open map game.

Obviously deathmatch wouldn't be very compelling. Maybe some type of payload a-la TF2. There are already tracks laid out for it! Or a team survival mode, similar to the old AVP. There is so much opportunity.

I might be mistaken but don't the new Assassin's Creed games have multiplayer? (only played 1). If you can turn a single player "story driven experience" type game into a successful multiplayer one, you can certainly do it for Infinite.

StuBurns

Banned
Unfortunately we still don't really know anything about the structure of the game, however, I can't imagine the majority of the game will take place in that open skyline hub area. I bet it still mostly takes place in buildings, in which case, no different to many competitive shooters.

MormaPope

Banned
Unfortunately we still don't really know anything about the structure of the game, however, I can't imagine the majority of the game will take place in that open skyline hub area. I bet it still mostly takes place in buildings, in which case, no different to many competitive shooters.

If that was true why has the development period of the game taken so long? Or are you talking about the cancelled multiplayer?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think the game is pretty much done.

Or it's a complete and utter trainwreck but I doubt that Rod Fergusson would attach himself to the project if it was the case.

StuBurns

Banned
If that was true why has the development period of the game taken so long? Or are you talking about the cancelled multiplayer?
I just don't see how it physically can all take place in the open world, there doesn't seem to be an indication that environment is large enough to withhold a ten hour game. One of those big trailers specifically shows a grand building they're heading to, in order to speak to some guy. I imagine that whole building could be one level, and that over world would effectively just be a level hub. There's also the possibility of whole levels taking place within tears.

There just doesn't seem to be enough geometry in the city to be all outdoors to me.

Any other developer I would be worried but not Irrational. Every game they've made, every one, were troubled projects. Read up on the development of Bioshock, Freedom Force, even SWAT 4. So, until its cancelled or it comes out and sucks, I'm not giving up hope yet.

Truant

You guys act like this is unusual. Any big and ambitions project that spans over multiple years are bound to have issues of all forms. We just don't hear about it in public. I'm sure dev-gaf can confirm this.

The art director of Half-Life 2 left the project, and that turned out to be one of the best games ever. Ken is a visionary, and probably a pain in the ass to work under, but there will hopefully be art through adversity.

FStop7

Banned
I don't know much more than any of you, but if nothing has changed, enthusiast-focused marketing should begin this month.

It's hard for me to know how much I can say, sadly, but others can vouch for me. When I say "enthusiast marketing," think like the Assassin's Creed III case when they first started talking about it.

New trailer incoming in 10 days:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...dy-for-more-bioshock-infinite-this-month.aspx

Whatever problems Irrational is having, they seem committed to getting the game out.

Daegan nails it.

You guys act like this is unusual. Any big and ambitions project that spans over multiple years are bound to have issues of all forms. We just don't hear about it in public. I'm sure dev-gaf can confirm this.

The art director of Half-Life 2 left the project, and that turned out to be one of the best games ever. Ken is a visionary, and probably a pain in the ass to work under, but there will hopefully be art through adversity.

I read your post in the voice of Andrew Ryan.

StuBurns

Banned

I think Viktor Antonov actually left once his work on HL2 was finished, because he didn't want to do the episodes. But yes, of course there will be significant roadblocks, especially if you're intending to do something unprecedented.

Personally however, the specific thing of meaningful, interactive AI companions has dogged the industry. EA had their best and brightest on LMNO for years, and they couldn't do it. It seems like this thing everyone wants to accomplish, but so far it's only been a huge source of issues. I really hope Infinite is the one that pulls it off.

megalowho

I remember reading interviews somewhere along the lines of "everything cool about Bioshock wasn't in the game until way late, so we're not worried that we haven't yet found the right hooks in Infinite. It'll come!"

I give Irrational the benefit of the doubt until they prove me wrong, and they've got every right to go dark, but that seems like a pretty rough process all the same. Just assuming it'll come together because the last game did sounds stressful, and dangerous. Rooting for them, we'll see.

Top Bottom