• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

Let's get realistic. No way is this game coming out in 4 months. We haven't even had anyone from the media play the game and are we to believe that they are going to ramp up marketing in the next two months or so? Highly doubt.

I want the game NOW but I see another delay in it's future.

maybe it'll have a big showing at the VGAs?

GlamFM

Banned
If Bioshock misses Feb and GTA V is not out by May Strauss Zelnick is done.

You can literally hear the investors getting more and more impatient on every conference call.

Let's get realistic. No way is this game coming out in 4 months. We haven't even had anyone from the media play the game and are we to believe that they are going to ramp up marketing in the next two months or so? Highly doubt.

I want the game NOW but I see another delay in it's future.

Media didn't play GTA4 until close to release, and it's five months not four. And yes, they could go full on marketing blitz in the beginning of February to catch mainstream attention and do a "gold bitches" at the middle of January and away the hype goes.

Mainstream marketing is not done for months and months in advance, it's happening when it is relevant for the consumer to actually go purchase the game.

bud23

Let's get realistic. No way is this game coming out in 4 months.

Yes,I´m beginning to think in a simultaneous release for the current gen and durango/ps4? by fall next year. You know,Take two must delay all its games, is its business philosophy.

eXistor

I was always skeptical of the game, everything shown just seemed so staged. I sincerely hope they can get it to a satisfactory level though, the demos looked spectacular.

diamount

Banned
I was always skeptical of the game, everything shown just seemed so staged. I sincerely hope they can get it to a satisfactory level though, the demos looked spectacular.

You have to wonder why make a game with lofty ambitions and not be able to execute them properly.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
my prediction: the game comes out on time, it will be a buggy mess on release, it will be unfinished (sort of), it won't recoup costs, Ken will go the way of Cliffy B. May he'll even team up with Fu Manchu to make an indie immersive sim. His former partner has expressed interest in it.

maybe it'll have a big showing at the VGAs?
I forgot about the VGA's. That is an event where this game can get plenty of "mainstream" attention and start their marketing from there.

Media didn't play GTA4 until close to release, and it's five months not four. And yes, they could go full on marketing blitz in the beginning of February to catch mainstream attention and do a "gold bitches" at the middle of January and away the hype goes.

Mainstream marketing is not done for months and months in advance, it's happening when it is relevant for the consumer to actually go purchase the game.

This is doable it just seems rushed.

Also, February 26 is the release date. So it's less than 5 but more than 4 months long.
We're both wrong. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Going day-by-day, Feb. 26th is closer to five months away than four, but -- and this is what he was referring to -- February is four months from October. ;)

Can somebody fill me into what the ambitious part is supposed to be? The little I have seen looked pretty much like a bioshock game to me.

NinjaBoiX

Can somebody fill me into what the ambitious part is supposed to be? The little I have seen looked pretty much like a bioshock game to me.
The envrieoments are very large and open, and you can traverse them with incredible speed via the skyline thingies. It would require very good streaming and optimisation. And as others have said, the AI sounds rather advanced too.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it has to be the AI that's causing most problems, if there still are problems. So many studios have taken a stab at it, and none have succeeded.

Flavius

We've been given a glimpse of it, in terms of being able to progress the game while given a wide berth in traversal and using an AI sidekick with a seemingly robust set of options for manipulating the environment.

Those elements are quite different from the first Bioshock.

My take: as with all of their games, the features they're wrestling with at the moment are ones that we have little or no knowledge of. Like the good looking girl who drove you fucking nuts, they'll eventually drop the ones that aren't working, and we'll get a great game in line with our expectations...and on the current schedule.

Postmortem for this one should be pretty interesting. Can't wait to see what sort of crazy shit they were trying to integrate into this game!

Game in general are getting ahead of themselves. We cant even tell a great story yet, and have soo many gameplay aspects on top of that. Smaller more focused games that do one or 2 things fucking great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think it has to be the AI that's causing most problems, if there still are problems. So many studios have taken a stab at it, and none have succeeded.
I'm sure the AI and the speed at which you can traverse the large maps are giving them fits. Designing AI that can keep up with a player in such circumstances doesn't seem like an easy task.

I always thought that the demo looked too ambitious for its own good. I think it's neat that they're trying but they've clearly run into problems reaching their ambitious vision.

soultron

Banned
The Bioshock team seems to be hiring still (3 positions, LD among one of them, IIRC.) so you can either see this as a dark omen or simply part of their closing plans to get the game out the door sooner. Since I don't work there I'm not going to pretend to know which, but I'd lean towards the latter if I had to guess.

I honestly see it as a good sign whenever someone's hiring though.

StuBurns

Banned
Game in general are getting ahead of themselves. We cant even tell a great story yet, and have soo many gameplay aspects on top of that. Smaller more focused games that do one or 2 things fucking great.
I don't really see the connection between the two. Telling a well crafted story is nice, but it shouldn't be the focus, especially at the cost of progressive game design.

Flavius

The Bioshock team seems to be hiring still (3 positions, LD among one of them, IIRC.) so you can either see this as a dark omen or simply part of their closing plans to get the game out the door sooner. Since I don't work there I'm not going to pretend to know which, but I'd lean towards the latter if I had to guess.

I'd agree. The hooks for multiplayer are still in the game. Cutting them for release, and releasing as DLC makes a hell of a lot of sense.

heringer

The envrieoments are very large and open, and you can traverse them with incredible speed via the skyline thingies. It would require very good streaming and optimisation. And as others have said, the AI sounds rather advanced too.

You mean just like Skytown in Metroid Prime 3? :)

omonimo

Banned
But we are talking only of multiplayer, right? This what I have read in the OP , I can't see any mention to SP. who care of multiplayer in bioshock?

NHale

They really need to update on the release date. Personally I'm thinking it will be Feb 2014 now.

The game would have to be in a terrible shape right now if they were going to launch it after the new consoles are already out. However, I also don't believe this is still a Feb 2013 game.

August 2013 would be my uneducated guess.

They very explicitly said "we will not be showing it at trade shows or publicly until we have something that is truly done and will be final game experience like". Release date has not been moved yet, so I highly doubt they are going to push it out even further.

I must have missed that. thank you for the reply and I'm very sorry for bumping the thread with no new news but I didn't want to create a new thread to ask.

again, very sorry.

daegan

I don't know much more than any of you, but if nothing has changed, enthusiast-focused marketing should begin this month.

The dream is dead. You were suppose to be my game of the year for the next decade.

Drop the multiplayer, drop all of it, concentrate on crafting a good single player experience. An unfinished single player and a half-assed multiplayer is not going to please anyone.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
This sentence is magic, it's an enigma, it fries my brain.

If they can't make the game, then they can't make the game, it doesn't matter whether they want to or not. I'm not really sure what your point is.

Maybe he's trying to say "don't be unable to make the game." Quite inspiring, that one.

Interestingly, I'd assume that this means Jordan Thomas is no longer running X-Com (which might explain how it's now become a tps).

Riposte

I can believe this and felt this way since the start. I really hope this is a wake up call for journos who were giving this game of the show two E3s ago or whatever. You can't go gaga over a video at a videogame convention.

StuBurns

Banned
I can believe this and felt this way since the start. I really hope this is a wake up call for journos who were giving this game of the show two E3s ago or whatever. You can't go gaga over a video at a videogame convention.
Spore didn't teach them that, they clearly don't care.

Top Bottom