• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

bud23

They just spend money and time until they feel a product is either unsellable or great and then release it.

Though this strategy mostly earns them losses and shareholder rebellions.
I can´t agree more.

Zelnick,T2 CEO on bioshock 2 delay;
“With respect to the release date of BioShock 2, we feel that a later release date is the right move to ensure the quality and performance of this key title. While the near term effect of that move is disappointing, we remain very excited about the release of BioShock 2 and the opportunity to build upon this extremely valuable franchise.”

“Given our commitment to creating innovative Triple-A titles, releasing a product before it has met our standards of quality would be inconsistent with our core strategy. It would also be detrimental with the brand equity and consumer loyalty we’ve worked so hard to achieve. Most importantly, we felt it would significantly reduce the return on our investment into this valuable brand, which would have a negative impact on our shareholders.”

So,tell me Zelnick;How the hell delay your games systematically can help to investors confidence.
T2 strategy is a joke. Make games with a 5 years development and $100 million budget that suffer a delay after another is not the best bussines strategy.

I wonder what goes on behind closed doors at 2K. Nearly every one of their games takes 5+ years and hits a couple points when all we hear are gloom and doom rumors, yet somehow tons of them turn out great.

Spec Ops: The Line turned out pretty great, so I guess 2K knows what they're doing when they let the developers decide the timeline.

bud23

Spec Ops: The Line turned out pretty great, so I guess 2K knows what they're doing when they let the developers decide the timeline.

Really?

10 days ago.
"We had a disappointing year last year, and now we've had a disappointing first quarter", said Zelnick after the firm blamed "lower-than-anticipated sales of Spec Ops: The Line and Max Payne 3"

Am I the only one who looked at the environments and gameplay and thought that they couldn't achieve this on current generation consoles? That's before you go into the stupid amount of work needed to have a character like Elizabeth following you through the whole game not acting like a broken robot.

No, in fact it only proves that the mainstream gaming has resorted to diluted game mechanics. Which is why we see a lot of context-based actions (Uncharted), auto-based combat (Assassin's Creed), and heavy emphasis on environmental effects and graphics (Crysis). In other words, they let the technology work for them or streamline their gameplay to entice gamers to finish the game. I

This is the kind of gameplay we SHOULD'VE been getting this generation. But because they can't be bothered to rework gameplay mechanics and all focus on graphics and tech, you simply witnessed the gap between saturated gameplay to what I would like to call "modern" gameplay mechanics. If the next-gen continues to go with this downward spiral trend, I'm out.

JambiBum

Really?

10 days ago.
"We had a disappointing year last year, and now we've had a disappointing first quarter", said Zelnick after the firm blamed "lower-than-anticipated sales of Spec Ops: The Line and Max Payne 3"
Spec ops was a great single player campaign. It may have under sold but it was definitely a great game.

Yesterday, I was talking about how there hasn't been a peep about this game for months. Now I know why, I guess. Pretty big deal that they are bringing in Rod Fergusson from Epic.

Those multiplayer ideas sound terrible. I'm not surprised it didn't work out.

I'm not really surprised to hear any of this. The game is highly ambitious. I really wonder how well the development team will be able to match the visions that were presented before. Considering how Bioshock ended up, the first question I even had regarding previously released footage was "Just how much of this will end up being in the actual game?"

sflufan

Banned
So the actual gameplay of two the most widely-praised games of E3 2011 -- Bioshock Infinite and Prey 2 -- simply didn't exist!

Seems every game that I am super interested in gets delayed and then news like this comes out... first The Last Guardian, now this. :/

Multiplayer in Bioshock. As if it was a main selling point of the franchise. Poor decision to even try.

I'm always afraid of taking some shit by even mentioning it, but stuff like this is doing more harm than good for gaming, IMO. Maybe I'm in some minority there, and I do like multiplayer but I think there's a place for it, and not every game is a place for it.

Maybe I'm insane but I get this feeling that devs think welp if we don't include multiplayer we're not going to be as successful as Call of Duty, and that's the wrong way to go about it. And there may be some truth to that, but the way I see it, does the addition of MP really govern sales on specific products? The first Uncharted was well-received and I guess sold about as well as they expected. I don't think anyone, after that, was really pulling for, or expecting the sequels to have MP. The MP in the last two Uncharteds was well done I guess, but necessary? I wonder how Uncharted 3 would have turned out without the team spending time and resources on the MP. I know that game's single player could have been better than it was.

I think more gamers would rather a team put all their time and talent into "what they know." It's kind of like writing. Write what you know. Don't try to write something that you feel inclined to write just because another writer did a good job with it and think that your work will benefit from it regardless of how well you implement it. The original Bioshock was great because it felt like a completely fleshed out experience with a singular vision. I don't remember a lot of people saying that it should have had MP, or that the following installments should try it out. It's like the Metroid Prime 2 fiasco-- a total waste of time.

Maybe I'm seriously off here, and I don't really look into sales or charts or data like much of GAF does, but again I feel that there's a place for multiplayer. Not everything needs it. I think if someone is interested in Bioshock Infinite, they're going to get the game or at least check it out with or without multiplayer. Same for Uncharted or any other single-player focused franchise like Metroid. I'd much rather them use the time and money that they would have put into MP into the single player experience. I realize that sometimes other divisions handle other modes and such, but it's still just the feeling I get. Maybe I'm the only one that knows that feel, I'm just speaking my mind on the matter.

Really?

10 days ago.
I meant more quality than sales.

It doesn't really matter because next-gen development costs are going to actually decrease according to Epic.
Is that coinciding with a rising cost in their tool licensing? Can hardly trust someone in their position making statements about cost of development. Does that include outsourcing most of your art to Asia like the cartoon industry?

pargonta

I'm always afraid of taking some shit by even mentioning it, but stuff like this is doing more harm than good for gaming, IMO. Maybe I'm in some minority there, and I do like multiplayer but I think there's a place for it, and not every game is a place for it.

Maybe I'm insane but I get this feeling that devs think welp if we don't include multiplayer we're not going to be as successful as Call of Duty, and that's the wrong way to go about it. And there may be some truth to that, but the way I see it, does the addition of MP really govern sales on specific products? The first Uncharted was well-received and I guess sold about as well as they expected. I don't think anyone, after that, was really pulling for, or expecting the sequels to have MP. The MP in the last two Uncharteds was well done I guess, but necessary? I wonder how Uncharted 3 would have turned out without the team spending time and resources on the MP. I know that game's single player could have been better than it was.

I think more gamers would rather a team put all their time and talent into "what they know." It's kind of like writing. Write what you know. Don't try to write something that you feel inclined to write just because another writer did a good job with it and think that your work will benefit from it regardless of how well you implement it. The original Bioshock was great because it felt like a completely fleshed out experience with a singular vision. I don't remember a lot of people saying that it should have had MP, or that the following installments should try it out. It's like the Metroid Prime 2 fiasco-- a total waste of time.

Maybe I'm seriously off here, and I don't really look into sales or charts or data like much of GAF does, but again I feel that there's a place for multiplayer. Not everything needs it. I think if someone is interested in Bioshock Infinite, they're going to get the game or at least check it out with or without multiplayer. Same for Uncharted or any other single-player focused franchise like Metroid. I'd much rather them use the time and money that they would have put into MP into the single player experience. I realize that sometimes other divisions handle other modes and such, but it's still just the feeling I get. Maybe I'm the only one that knows that feel, I'm just speaking my mind on the matter.

I think you're preaching to the choir as many have stated similar feelings, alot in this thread.

Infinite is now exhibit A on how multiplayer sucks time/personnel/money out of a company, while only sometimes increasing the value of a product, and many times being divisive to the creative vision. It has seemingly been axed from infinite, so now we can move on kinda.

Maybe naughty dog will take note and axe Last of Us multi, put the energy into Last of Us story the whole way, but they're already in too deep with their community probably.

goodfella

I was looking forwards to how the fuck they would make all the systems work. To be honest, if the game delivered fully, it would be a huge revolution for games.

I really hope they can pull it off.

Yes i'm happy.I hope they don't add any multiplayer to the game.

Pretty sure at this point they're focusing on just getting a single player campaign going. The odds of there being a multiplayer mode that's produced in house are going to be pretty low. However, I wouldn't be surprised if another dev is allowed to take a crack at the multiplayer.

I truly hope this is the kind of game we are going to look back on like Half-Life 2 or something, a masterpiece despite all the problems within development.

So sad to hear that Irrationals ambition may bite them in the ass.

Yeah, i hope that too. Like i said, they should take all the time they need to make it the masterpiece the e3 demo promised.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh man, if this were a Japanese game people would be all like "JAPANESE DEVELOPMENT IS THE SUX0RZ!&!&!&!&!&!@#!"

So one of the "key features" that they are having trouble implementing from their original vision is multiplayer? Ahhh....I'm fine with that. Don't waste time and talent on trying to create multiplayer for what is a core single player game.

Look what happened with Mass Effect 3.

Though I'm normally a single player gamer and don't normally play multiplayer, the multiplayer in ME3 was actually pretty fun, and the main issue with ME3 (the stupid ending) was probably not affected by addition of multiplayer.

I could never work in this industry. Watching months of my work down the toilet would destroy me. Godspeed Irrational!

Lots of other software industries are like that too :(

Zeal

Banned
I don't think I have ever seen a generation where so many high caliber games have been delayed and downright canceled. The industry we once knew is changing rapidly, and not in a good way.

Maybe naughty dog will take note and axe Last of Us multi, put the energy into Last of Us story the whole way, but they're already in too deep with their community probably.

I didn't know about Last of Us having multiplayer until recently, and it seriously made me roll my eyes. Then again I'm not terribly excited for that one as it looks incredibly bland and uninteresting to me.

Monocle

This is one of the major reasons you shouldn't try to shove some kooky multiplayer modes in there simply to get people to keep their copies. Put multiplayer in only if the creative vision mandates it. What a waste of resources.

MP kills another game that could have been great.

MP is what holding back innovation in games.
Yep. I'm strongly against the current trend of imposing a multiplayer component on games that are clearly single player oriented. It's a stupid profit driven tactic that almost always results in inferior products.

Top Bottom