• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Midou

I'm unhappy with the stick placement. I hate the left stick being down low. It's time to move it up, Sony. Wait, no, it was time to do that two generations ago.

After thousands of hours with a dual shock and hundreds with a 360 controller, I still never understood why anyone was bothered by the stick placement. My mind never even goes to think "oh, this controller they are next to each other, and this one they are on separate levels", my hand just use each controller as intended...

kingocfs

Seems good. Roided up Plus/rebrand would be fantastic. Seems like Sony really hit a great middle ground with Plus and free MP this generation. Would be devastating for them to completely ruin that at the start of the next generation.

I don't get it. What is the middle ground? If you're paying for PS+, what difference does it make to you if the online play is free or not?

jimmypop

Banned
Because I'm an adult with a job and a budget which includes disposable income, I'll start saving now.

When you grow up, learning that services aren't free isn't surprising either.

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

This is what I expect as well. The phrasing from the Kotaku is the typical mislead for hits.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

now this i can deal with.

Cbajd5

Haha. And everyone is taking the higher RUMORED price as the real price point. Calm down. Proper publications have said that it will be around 300£ and the article even say; "but that could change", in regards to price.

300£ is about $465.

So I'm still seeing $450/$550 as an average between the two.

ari

Banned
Lol at people calling out kotaku for putting out this rumor. If its was a free online and 399 price point rumor you guys would be eating that shit. Lol at some of you.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Everything that is free on the PS3 and Vita will no doubt continue to be free, so MP, Chat, side apps like Netflix, iPlayer etc. will all still be free. Features that are behind PS+ now, subscription games, cloud saves, etc. along with new features like GaiKai streaming are what is going to be behind a paywall.

lefantome

429$ makes no sense, for 30$ they should sell at 399$ looks like 100$ less.

Why ruining ps plus switching to the xbox live model? ps plus could be a very important selling point.

and CLOUD SAVING SHOULD BE FREE.

it's an important and unexpensive feature.

Of course, we also have the problem of all consoles will probably be still-born if they're priced a penny over $300, and will continue to struggle until they're sub-$200, but that's another matter entirely.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if the spectator feature will use an internal service or will work off the web. You should ideally be able to view friends games through a browser etc.

BY2K

Membero Americo
429/529 is such a random pricing. It's like they didn't want to price it 450/550 but didn't want to price it 400/500, either.

My guess is they won't sell it at a loss, but the profit per unit sold will be very small.

Ricker

The ps3 destroyed the wii in specs. Remember how that turned out?

A $529 sku is not going to sell. If Sony is dumb enough to put one out, they better justify it by including full BC with every playstation game.

I agree,anything over 500(that includes 499 lol) is suicide....429 just seems perfect to me...

javac

Sony charging for a premium online service like Xbox live gold was always obvious to me, so I always find it surprising to see people act... surprised.

Spongebob

Banned
I really don't understand the blind faith that so many of you here have for Sony. You're all so confident that they won't charge for online and I have no idea where this confidence is coming from.

Ya if $30 hurts so much, there is no way they will be able to afford $60 launch games.

Sony probably isn't interested in this demographic for the first year or two. They NEED people who buy games. Not the people who wait for used or deeep discounts.

DaBoss

I'm not excusing it. If they tack online gaming on to the already $50 PS+ price then it's not affecting me because I already pay that now. It's common sense, stop losing your shit to rumors. From Kotaku of all places.

Isn't that being a hypocrite? I'm sure you've lost your shit to rumors.

Trakdown

This is what I expect as well. The phrasing from the Kotaku is the typical mislead for hits.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the way it's going to play out with regards to online. Sad thing is, people are going to be antsy about this for awhile because I seriously doubt we're going to get any pricing details tomorrow.

*sigh* Sometimes I really hate console launches.

artist

Banned
Speculation time ..

PS4 ($429)
250GB
EyeToy
Controller
Free Online MP, Demos

PS4 ($529)
500GB
EyeToy
Controller
Launch (Move) Game Pack-in
1 Year of PlayStation World (BC via Gakai, PS+ features, Streaming etc.)

If it the real world model comes down to something like this, I'd go with the $429 version in a heartbeat. Upgrade the HDD myself (assuming they dont force proprietary HDD crap ala MS), get the PS World subscription when it's tested and tried. And fuck the pack-in Move Game :p

In this article, the biggest surprise IMO is;
1. Price
2. Price when EyeToy is bundled with every console.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
$529.99 is pushing it. I also have a feeling that the "basic" set model is going to be worthless/gimped (based off of the last cycle), so you're better off with the $529.99 model.

Even the Wii U at $349.99 was pushing it for me, but I would've preferred $399.99. Guess if I do end up wanting a PS4, I'm going to wait a few years.

429/529 is such a random pricing. It's like they didn't want to price it 450/550 but didn't want to price it 400/500, either.

My guess is they won't sell it at a loss, but the profit per unit sold will be very small.

It's weird, it's like they directly converted the rumored 40000 yen pricepoint.

Top Bottom