• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

gaming_noob

I'm 100% certain (no source here) that online play will still be free on PSN. I'm not concerned at all. PSN+ I'll have to just ignore tomorrow...

Trakdown

Speculation time ..

PS4 ($429)
250GB
EyeToy
Controller
Free Online MP, Demos

PS4 ($529)
500GB
EyeToy
Controller
Launch (Move) Game Pack-in
1 Year of PlayStation World (BC via Gakai, PS+ features, Streaming etc.)

If it the real world model comes down to something like this, I'd go with the $429 version in a heartbeat. Upgrade the HDD myself (assuming they dont force proprietary HDD crap ala MS), get the PS World subscription when it's tested and tried. And fuck the pack-in Move Game :p

In this article, the biggest surprise IMO is;
1. Price
2. Price when EyeToy is bundled with every console.

Not bad, I could see the $429 model coming with a 3 month trial of PS+/PS World just to try to hook people.

Stillmatic

Sony aren't going to talk pricing this soon, realistically the earliest we can expect that will be E3. US$399 - $499 would be my guess.

For numerous reasons they're not going to flip flop and start charging for online multi. It sounds like PSWorld will flat out replace PS+, and add more features. Or it could be just an evolution of Home.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
It makes sense that Sony wants to get in on the premium subscription money. Xbox Live has been a huge success.

$50 a year for PS Live Gold sounds about right.

AniHawk

$430 for a ps4 means i won't get one until 2015 at the earliest. even if it bombs, sony doesn't drop the price of their hardware because they'll have put so much stuff in there they won't be able to without losing a ton of cash.

i'd say durango, you're my only hope, but it'll probably be even worse. so my fingers are crossed for valve.

Coolwhip

Banned
This.

Nobody said anything about paying for online...

The costs for maintaining their online infastructure and services must be massive. Why wouldn't they charge for it? The ps360 era saw big losses for both MS and Sony. It might just be time to finally make some money.

The main reason I see this as unlikely is because no one has ever done such an odd number. There's a psychological aspect of pricing something at $100 rather than $110 for instance. This looks to me like someone misunderstanding currency rates.

LTWheels

I doubt we will find out anything tomorrow about the pricing or charging for online. Those kind of things will be announced closer to launch.

Sadist

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

Meh

Do not want. Not liking this one bit.

FrankT

$430 for a ps4 means i won't get one until 2015 at the earliest. even if it bombs, sony doesn't drop the price of their hardware because they'll have put so much stuff in there they won't be able to without losing a ton of cash.

i'd say durango, you're my only hope, but it'll probably be even worse. so my fingers are crossed for valve.

Durango probably only going to be $30 difference at launch even with these prices I would have to guess. Can't really see a $299 option out the gate from MS.

Not leveraging smartphones and tablets in some way would be a huge mistake for anyone to make at this point. I remember a couple of years ago Phil Harrison (I think) demoed PSN on a phone but that never really panned out. If they could get network interaction (buying games, messaging) working on modern smartphones and tablets it would be very nice indeed.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
$429 is in line with my expectations, $529 is over them by a large margin and would need to offer something extremely attractive for me to consider.

As far as pay to play online goes, I'll react after I've seen what's on offer and at what price.

Still hyped, need to see some next-gen gaming goodness!

It's sad that simplay playing a game online is going to be barebonse, but Sony needs to give that to people for free and then offer more for a subscription

A PS+ like service that will offer discounts and games once the library fills out.

Isn't $429 kinda inline with the Nikkei report a week or two ago?

Also, this is the first we've heard of two SKUs, when past rumors suggested that Sony was going to stick with one SKU this time around.

Still, if Sony are going to focus on the cheaper SKU, and use that SKU as the "main" model (kinda like how Apple uses the cheapest iPhone/Ipad as it's "main model") then that might not be too bad.

Pay to play though...that is something I sincerely hope is not true, though.

It's actually pretty much exact with today's exchange rate. Which is why it's fake. 40,000 yen translates to $399. Before the price cut Vita was 24,990 which is $269, but vita is $249 in the US.

It is highly likely that this "source" just converted the yen price to USD and ran with it. If it is that superdae guy then it is definitely wrong.

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

Pleaaaaase be like this. Actually I don't even give a fuck about day 1 demos or streaming services, just have online MP free (and this is coming from a guy who has been PS+ subscriber for like a year now).

Pay to play is the absolute worst thing Sony could do. It is just bullshit. I hate how Kotaku rumor is destroying my hype even when the online part is vague as fuck :(.

Theres goes the PSN free crutch out the window vs XBL people use around here. Good for Sony, MS is making so much money off live. It something they really needed to do with the way things have been going over with Sony.

JABEE

That sound you hear are the goalposts being moved.

Paid-for online multiplayer is a shitty proposition on Xbox and Playstation. If tehy extend this to charging to use Netflix and YouTube apps like Xbox Live does right now, it is a shitty policy. Goalposts aren't moving for me.

AniHawk

Durango probably only going to be $30 difference at launch even with these prices I would have to guess. Can't really see a $299 option out the gate from MS.

it'll probably be $399.99 plus a monthly fee for no good reason. kinect in the box guarantees it won't be under $399.99 for any launch sku, i think.

$429.99 is such a weird pricepoint. i wonder if that was a number that was derived from currency exchange, or if sony thought it wouldn't look as bad as $449.99.

Balb

Hope a lot of this stuff isn't true. These manufacturers used to want to wow you in preparation for console launches.

dwu8991

Banned
One of many reasons that MS was able to charge for Xbox Live was because it had two of the biggest exclusive online multiplayer games (Gears and Halo)

Sony doesn't have that luxury. Nobody's going to pay money to play uncharted multiplayer.

MS were also smart at charging a cheap box and having cheap xbox live Gold 12 month and discounts on digital games

Loudninja

It's actually pretty much exact with today's exchange rate. Which is why it's fake. 40,000 yen translates to $399. Before the price cut Vita was 24,990 which is $269, but vita is $249 in the US.

It is highly likely that this "source" just converted the yen price to USD and ran with it. If it is that superdae guy then it is definitely wrong.
Thats what I ask earlier.

"It's no way Sony will charge over 400 dollars! No way! People are just spouting bullshit!"

"It's no way the Revolution will be just a higher clocked, extra memory Gamecube! you fuckers are crazy!!"

And we know what happened then. Why are folks so quick to just assume the best out of companies who want MONEY and have seen that people have NO PROBLEM paying for it?

Are you stupid? You really think Sony announcing "pay to play online" after it being free for the greater good of a decade on the PS3 wouldn't cause a massive uproar and that people would have "NO PROBLEM paying for it"? Get fucking real.

Meelow

Banned
I don't even use Xbox Live, so I could care less about the online.
The pricing seems a bit too much. I expected $400, but $500 is inefficient.
Well, we'll see tomorrow, right?

I %100 doubt Sony will announce the price tomorrow, they will probably wait till E3 to announce it.

Ricker

Of course features are going to be the future of whatever Plus is. It's not like they are dropping a 12 game instant game collection on day one of the PS4.

Online features does not equal online play. It will be just like it is now - you can play online for free, have friends list, invites, etc... but everything above that (cloud saves, cloud gaming, these rumors about tablet implementation, etc) will be part of PS+2.

This is what I think as well...PS + is perfect,they give stuff away and the cheaper stuff make people buy those PSN cards,that have a fix amount,so when I want FFVII on PSN so I can play it on my Vita and it's on sale for 5 bucks,I still have 15 bucks left that I will spend,and possibly new features like you said.

artist

Banned
Just for fun sake, here is the data I gathered from the last thread in regards to GAF's expectation on next-gen console price ceilings;

capture37yot.png

Gueras

Banned
I hope the price is correct i don't want cheap stuff

Cheap consoles will be crap in 2 years or less

But i bet 399 and 499

R0nn

What if online gaming remains free, but all other features are within the premium subscription model? Wouldn't that be feasable?

Edit: already mentioned, nvm

xaosslug

Kotaku is funny... so, they get their hands on a new pic of the DS4 prototype, and use it to validate their rumors. LOL

what are they gonna do when the price is announced tomorrow, and it's a single SKU priced @ $399?

The costs for maintaining their online infastructure and services must be massive. Why wouldn't they charge for it? The ps360 era saw big losses for both MS and Sony. It might just be time to finally make some money.

What people like you seem to forget is that Sony is a charity, not a corporation. All they want is world peace.

See the future.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Yep, like I said, someone took the existing news/rumors and just spun them. I think we are being trolled.

Top Bottom