• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Comet

Here's what's at stake for Sony when it comes to getting me to buy-in:

If Netflix and such apps, as well as friends list, PSN store, and online gaming is free, I buy a console day one, even if its a hefty price tag. I don't mind having a more expensive PS+ if it does the same things it does now but adds more cloud stuff, Gaikai streaming, etc. I'm okay with that! PS+ is great, Sony IPs and studios are great, and I know third parties will be all over this. It's an investment I will have no qualms with.

However, if there is a paywall for using Netflix, a browser, looking to buy something from the PSN store, talking to friends, etc. I will have to sit back and truly evaluate what will be the better long term buy for me, the new Xbox or the PS4. Moreover, I might decided that NEITHER are worth investing anytime soon. Down the line, Microsoft might be able to interest me more with exclusive content, tech, and apps on their system. The thing is, I'm only buying one of these, I'm no longer buying all consoles, that was incredibly redundant this generation. I have a strong PC, will buy a Wii U when there's more than 3-5 games I want to play. So it's up to Sony to counter-balance a lot of the negative stuff Microsoft has going for it if they want me to pony up. And the thing is, if Sony does the consumer right by not being draconian with their online services, they'll have me day one as a PS4 user and PS+ subscriber. It's that simple. Don't abuse the subscription and I'm a loyal consumer. Abuse it and Sony is losing a major advantage it has over Microsoft, and my wallet will be used on my PC and Wii U.

onipex

I was looking to buy the PS4 but with this news I'm not. It just sounds like Sony's Xbox 360. I already wrote off the the next Xbox due to not liking the 360 so it looks like I'll be going Wii UPC this gen.

Paying for online play would be a shoot in the foot for Sony. They have millions of users used to playing online for free, changing for that would be a mess. I seriously doubt that.

So you dont like PS Plus?

Personally, I don't. I get no use from it. The games they include for rental are ones I either played or had no interest in anyway, or I would have played them. The discounts are sometimes nice though. If they add a bunch of this new rumored functionality to PS+, regardless of liking the current service, I'll have to buy it to get the most out of my PS4. I have no problem with that as long as there's at least one deal a year on PS+ subscriptions.

DaBoss

What people like you seem to forget is that Sony is a charity, not a corporation. All they want is world peace.

See the future.

iyNKhjCPJLQQO.gif

I have no idea why, but it took me a few seconds to realize you were being sarcastic lol.

Yawnier

Banned
$400 for the system itself + a controller is my own limit for the actual hardware, not including an additional couple of launch games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
40,000 yen is indeed eerily close to $430 on the button.

Someone should maybe try and clarify if this is a yen price converted or a local US price they heard about, ala the '£300' rumour.

Elios83

It's actually pretty much exact with today's exchange rate. Which is why it's fake. 40,000 yen translates to $399. Before the price cut Vita was 24,990 which is $269, but vita is $249 in the US.

It is highly likely that this "source" just converted the yen price to USD and ran with it. If it is that superdae guy then it is definitely wrong.

It's the same thing I'm thinking. It's definetly not a coincidence that this weird pricing is the direct conversion of the speculated japanese price.
Which makes me think that well....they're looking for hits.

spwolf

Kotaku...hmmm.... $429 AND $529 is very weird pricing for a device in US. Almost certainly someone used Japanese or European pricing or something.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't Kotaku recently run an article with the source being SuperDae? Just saying.

40,000 yen is indeed eerily close to $430 on the button.

Someone should maybe try and clarify if this is a yen price converted or a local US price they heard about, ala the '£300' rumour.

Except Japan -> US pricing usually goes like this:

24,980 yen -> $250.

If playing games online is premium, I'll be upset, but I won't mind if most things are integrated into PS+. I don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

The costs for maintaining their online infastructure and services must be massive. Why wouldn't they charge for it? The ps360 era saw big losses for both MS and Sony. It might just be time to finally make some money.

They lost so much money with PS3. Gamers just dont get it.

krioto

I am frankly astonished that people are losing their shit over a rumor - but not just any rumor - a kotaku rumor!

You guys...man you guys...

EvB

Is money worth less than it was 6 years ago?

oh yeah it is.

Did we have a global economic crisis?

oh yeah we did.

Is Sony going to price their console at the same price as the inferior Wii?

are they fuck.

Are they planning on barely reducing the price for the next 5 years?

Of course they are.

Cake Boss

Banned
If I were Sony I would charge for online play, just look at MS report earning and see how much they are making off Live, I want a piece of that pie.

Its not like the consumer has any choice, if you want to play the CoDs and yearly sport titles the only choice is the 720/PS4.

JABEE

Lol at people calling out kotaku for putting out this rumor. If its was a free online and 399 price point rumor you guys would be eating that shit. Lol at some of you.

I don't distrust Kotaku at all. If Jason has a source that is able to provide new devkit pictures, it is probably pretty good. The only thing I'm questioning is what online features will be behind a paywall and how much the system will be priced at which Kotaku said was still up in the air.

PS+ already has some content behind pay walls, but it doesn't remove features. Removing free online play and free application access would be a really bad move for customers. No box other than Xbox can get away with charging to use streaming services. It will bite Microsoft in the ass this generation with Apple TV and Roku variants becoming more popular. Gaming consoles aren't the only boxes that are in people's living rooms.

Bsigg12

The rumored November release date is what I find interesting. If the Microsoft rumor of aiming for a September release is true, then Sony will be first to announce but second to retail.

Also, the "smartglass" Sony style sounds logical. Smartglass is just an html5 app, so I doubt Sony ever second guessed making their own.

Just under 24hrs from the start of the event.

getyourpopcornready.gif

Yep, like I said, someone took the existing news/rumors and just spun them. I think we are being trolled.

Wasn't that superdae guy an Xbox fanboy, so he probably trolled Kotaku with this new "rumour" to try and damage PS4 the evening before its reveal.

I can't believe people are this submissive to corporate money grabs.

Eh, active consoles and gaming is all luxury entertainment spending and pricey toys, anyway. You're spending loads on what could be considered corporate money grabs to start with, since the prices are high and mostly fixed for console units, accessories, and games because of the traditional Famicom/NES-based licensee model is still so very standard today. A subscription isn't ideal in the least, but because it can work, as evidenced by MS, it won't be surprising to see a cash-strapped corporation that may only be a few years from bankruptcy ask for payment in a similar way, especially when they'll be upping the ante with so many bundled cloud and streaming service features. Submissive? Nah, just left little choice if you want to play the exclusives online that these consoles live and die by.

Step

What if online gaming remains free, but all other features are within the premium subscription model? Wouldn't that be feasable?

Edit: already mentioned, nvm

Because that's pretty much what it looks like it is going to be, just like ps+ is right now with the new gaikai features, but when kotaku mentionen xbox live everyone started talking about pay to play.

JCizzle

I loathe the idea of paying a subscription to access... more paid subscriptions (Netflix, MLB.tv, etc.). Pretty fucking lame.

Are you stupid? You really think Sony announcing "pay to play online" after it being free for the greater good of a decade on the PS3 wouldn't cause a massive uproar and that people would have "NO PROBLEM paying for it"? Get fucking real.

Nah man, honestly most of these posters come across as hoping its gonna be a disaster or similiar.

I think everyone needs a clarifiction on this either way.

Cronq

Banned
So this what next gen looks like...

I'm sticking to Wii U and PC.

Can't say this isn't a brilliant move by Sony. Their loyal fan base has already committed themselves to being fleeced before any details were announced. Including all the disdain for Wii U and it's low $299 price and free online Sony must have assumed this is what their fans wanted.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
As true as that is, they have the newer angle photo for Controller. Was it posted before and they're just rehashing it?

Does it matter? Why would someone with a dev kit know Sony's entire pricing structure? That shit would've been leaked weeks ago if that were the case.

Top Bottom