• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

dab0ne

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

Steam it is.

Edit: Unless their online gameplay is really fucking impressive.

Nah man, honestly most of these posters come across as hoping its gonna be a disaster or similiar.

I think everyone needs a clarifiction on this either way.

I just don't see any chance of the core "playing games online over PSN" all the sudden gets charged and they flat out replace PSN Plus. I see basic stuff stays the same and PSN Plus gets showered with more goodies for more mass appeal and they get money that way.

So the Rumoured prices are 40000 yen (Nikkei iirc?) 300 pounds (the Times) and 429 dollars (kotaku)

one of these things is not like the other :)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The source for this story is the same source who helped us break the Orbis and Durango codenames. This source also sent us the new photos you can see in today's story. It's not Superdae.

The pricing, as we said in the piece, could very well change. That's just their current plan.

I don't think we'll hear about pricing tomorrow, regardless, but that's just me speaking personally.

So a person with a dev kits knows secret internal info that Sony itself probably doesn't know yet? A controller pic is one thing, but the rest is hard to swallow.

JABEE

The source for this story is the same source who helped us break the Orbis and Durango codenames. This source also sent us the new photos you can see in today's story. It's not Superdae.

The pricing, as we said in the piece, could very well change. That's just their current plan.

I don't think we'll hear about pricing tomorrow, regardless, but that's just me speaking personally.

What online features will be behind a paywall? The article was vague about that.

It's Kotaku, and the rumor only states "most online features." I'm sure basic online play and friend lists + messaging will all be free. The subscription would be for stuff like cross game chat, this new game spectating thing, stuff like that that isn't essential to online gaming.

At least I would hope.

EvB

If that were the case he'd have a lot more concrete info than the bullshit in kotaku.

How can it be more concrete than the word of someone who has said they've seen it?
Concrete as in providing a new image?

We can only wait and see.

I want this all to be true so we can see 6 years of fanboyism totally destroyed. It will literally be hilarious.

BobLoblaw

Banned
My synopsis (like anyone gives a shit).

1) Controller looks ok, but seems like there's a bit too much plastic and makes it look very cheap. Analogs look solid, but I'd still prefer an asymmetrical design.

2) Prices seem decent considering people are willing to drop a ton of money on phones and tablets and the return here is a blu-ray player + a dedicate gaming that's going to be around at least five years. I'll bite on the premium, but I'm still kinda hoping for $499 even.

3) Pay to play online? Get used to it bitches! Seriously, Microsoft banks a lot of money for Live and if Sony wants to recoup some of their expected loss on hardware, what better way to make up for it than charging for online play? Remember, online play for free isn't a right (on consoles...lulz). It just sucks because removing a feature that people used to have is always worse than adding a new one.

Overall, I'll still likely be picking one up at launch. I just hope the Durango launches at least a month earlier so that I'm not spending thousands of dollars over the course of like two weeks. :|

DaBoss

locking online onto PS+ is shitty but not unexpected, and if they keep the steady flow of games coming to that service, i might not notice.

are we assuming the difference in price/models is just HDD, not innards? should i still hold out any hope for a legacy BC model?

the tablet/phone stuff is neat, but i really don't see myself using that unless there's some steam-like lightning sale before i get home, which'd be amazing but also strikes me as unlikely.

It doesn't say it locks online to "PSW". I would think it's safe to assume that online play is something that isn't locked to "PSW".

Kotaku is funny... so, they get their hands on a new pic of the DS4 prototype, and use it to validate their rumors. LOL

what are they gonna do when the price is announced tomorrow, and it's a single SKU priced @ $399?

I would love to see them announce the price but I'm not expecting them too (And GAF will of course freak out and view at as vindication for Kotaku should it happen). Announcing all the launch details at this event would give Microsoft a chance to work out a response to the move before or during E3 and allow Nintendo to know where they should be pricing their console this summer/fall. They have a lot to lose and little to gain.

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

If they charge for online I'm out.

Dammit, I don't want to be stuck with Wii U only next gen.

A.R.K

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone
Free netflix, AMZ prime etc

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

Now its perfect...I am hoping on this Sony plz

itshappening gif should have a new version, with text, "its melting" and a sad face of Ron Paul

UberTag

People need to calm down! It's just a rumor and the bloke said "most" not "all".
Probably just like PS+ is today but with Gaikai and cross-chat added to it.
There's a lot of online functionality in the FREE Xbox LIVE Silver model as well, you know. You get access to demos and patches and ads and leaderboards and messaging and you can still buy DLC (unless it's timed-exclusive for Gold).

Saying "I'll just play on Wii U - the current gen system with no third-party support" is an empty threat and Sony knows it.

sangreal

Here's what's at stake for Sony when it comes to getting me to buy-in:

If Netflix and such apps, as well as friends list, PSN store, and online gaming is free, I buy a console day one, even if its a hefty price tag. I don't mind having a more expensive PS+ if it does the same things it does now but adds more cloud stuff, Gaikai streaming, etc. I'm okay with that! PS+ is great, Sony IPs and studios are great, and I know third parties will be all over this. It's an investment I will have no qualms with.

However, if there is a paywall for using Netflix, a browser, looking to buy something from the PSN store, talking to friends, etc. I will have to sit back and truly evaluate what will be the better long term buy for me, the new Xbox or the PS4. Moreover, I might decided that NEITHER are worth investing anytime soon. Down the line, Microsoft might be able to interest me more with exclusive content, tech, and apps on their system. The thing is, I'm only buying one of these, I'm no longer buying all consoles, that was incredibly redundant this generation. I have a strong PC, will buy a Wii U when there's more than 3-5 games I want to play. So it's up to Sony to counter-balance a lot of the negative stuff Microsoft has going for it if they want me to pony up. And the thing is, if Sony does the consumer right by not being draconian with their online services, they'll have me day one as a PS4 user and PS+ subscriber. It's that simple. Don't abuse the subscription and I'm a loyal consumer. Abuse it and Sony is losing a major advantage it has over Microsoft, and my wallet will be used on my PC and Wii U.

If you're going to subscribe anyway, why do you care what they throw behind the paywall?

What has free online play earned them this gen? The fewest consoles sold, they lost America, and they lost more money this gen then they made in the prior two gens combined. Not charging for a service would be dumber than charging for it.

Free online was hardly a major factor either way last gen (what did free online have to do with "losing America"? We both know how they lost their market share), but in a scenario like we have now where two sides are going in direct competition in the same year, free online play could be the tipping point for alot of casual gamers.

Both sides will want something to differentiate themselves from the competition. In particular Sony because they lost America.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
How can it be more concrete than the word of someone who has said they've seen it?

I want this all to be true so we can see 6 years of fanboyism totally destroyed. It will literally be hilarious.

So you admit to being a troll. Bookmarked.

Toki767

Put me in the camp that doesn't think Sony will charge for online multiplayer.

Party/voice chat might be a different thing though.

Nafai1123

Banned
Kotaku is funny... so, they get their hands on a new pic of the DS4 prototype, and use it to validate their rumors. LOL

what are they gonna do when the price is announced tomorrow, and it's a single SKU priced @ $399?

They don't care. They are getting the clicks today, which is the whole point.

I'm guessing (hoping)
$400 single SKU
Free online play
Free additional services access (Netflix, Hulu etc.)
PS World sub for streaming, rentals, social features, etc.

Basically the same as PSN/PS+ right now, but with more features added to PS+.

Violater

Well I leave for hour and you kids go crazy.
This is why we can't have good things, I see Kotaku is working hard for another Blacklisting :p

EvB

I suppose a £300 release COULD happen now.

... But it probably won't.

Not a chance in hell, Sony are going to go down the avenue of this being the best thing since sliced bread, if they price even within £50 of the Wii-U what kind of message does that give to consumers?

Also where does that leave them for price drops over the next few years.

VanWinkle

Guys, please explain to me why you expect them to charge for stuff they already do on the Vita, a brand new system, FREE?!

Vita has:

Cross-game chat
Cross-game invites
Online Play
..And more I can't think of

FREE.

Now, that system just came out a year ago. Do you really think they're going to charge for this stuff that's already free on the Vita? PS3 --> PS4 I could understand, but not when their current handheld does more than the PS3 and it's still free.

What I expect is features that neither the PS3 nor the Vita does and those will cost money. Playstation Cloud stuff, stuff like that.

Dusky

To be honest the only bad thing to come out of this Kotaku rumour is the potential pricing of the console. Everything else seems fine to me.

Wynnebeck

Banned

So you are admitting to trolling? GG.

jschreier

The code names were out in the wild well before that.

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0

Yeah, I remember we found that while googling around when we first heard about the code names. We linked that pastebin in one of our original stories, IIRC. I don't think many people had seen it or heard the names Orbis or Durango before we broke them. You definitely won't find any news stories using those names before we posted about them.

bigace33

Ok, I have to admit I'm getting a bit excited for next gen now. I might jump in on day one if Sony nails it at the conference tomorrow.

These prices are being pulled out of their asses. I don't even think Sony knows for sure what they're selling it for. They have an idea but its going to be heavily based on the reaction it gets tomorrow and leading up to E3.

Yeahhh no. Sony fans are buying it regardless. And there's a lot of them. Sony essentially shit away a ton of money for an advantage that turned out to be no advantage at all. Not good business.

You can't be sure about that. It's possible one of the reasons the PS3 overcome all its difficulties and is almost equal in sales worldwide with the 360 may be because of not having the paywall.

Am I the only one that perceives the playstation as a great single player console and xbox as a great multiplayer console? For Microsoft the 'Xbox Live' brand has almost become the brand over 'Xbox'. With that said, I don't think that Sony charging for online play will be make a big difference in PS4 sales, and after he initial uproar won't be that big of deal.

I own a 360 and have never owned a PS3. My perceptions could be way off base.

Guys guys guys, calm down. We don't know if online gaming will be hidden behind a paywall. It would be in Sony's best interests to let it remain free. The more people play online, the more of them will be enticed by those bells and whistle services.

Top Bottom