• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

Hanmik

playstation world is a store in saudi arabia (or something like that) playstation world.org is an italian gamingsite. playstation world was an old german playstation magazine. just saying.

sublimit

Banned
What is so bad about Kotaku posting rumors? The past 3 weeks the vast majority of the posts on this site were about rumor excitement. Would it really be better if nobody ever posted and rumors or leaked anything and the only information we received was from official press releases?

The problem is that Kotaku's rumors are proven false most of the time.

Pooya

I really don't think that's the case at all. I doubt anyone, anywhere, ever, has based their purchasing decision on that.

I kind of agree, they probably think based on the strength of the brand over the competitor, certain markets will be buying into PS4 anyway, everywhere else, competition does the same anyway. It's too tempting not to do it at this point if looking at things from Sony POV. it's a billion dollar revenue every year for MS. It makes a lot of sense and it's not like there is alternative for those looking to buy a new console for new games and online play.

As bad it is for consumer, it's not surprising at all if they do it, they easily can and it will be profitable, I actually don't see much of a backlash. Live has been around for 10 years after all.

jschreier

Did your source know about it if they were someone who paid any kind of attention to NeoGAF or forums at the time? Do you have any confirmation that they work at any of the companies involved in the development of next gen games or internal strategies?

You can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Durango/Orbis pastebin was on any NeoGAF threads before we posted about those codenames. We only found it because we googled "durango + orbis" when we first heard those two names.

I can't tell you anything about our source. One of our top priorities is protecting our sources' identities. Sorry. Everything we know is in the piece.

Comet

If you're going to subscribe anyway, why do you care what they throw behind the paywall?

Very good question. The answer is for a couple of reasons:

1. I go through gaming cycles where I might prefer PC for months, handhelds for months, or might not even play anything at all for a significant chunk of time. During such times I usually don't have subscriptions to things like PS+ or XBL.

2. It could be that PS+ might actually lose its appeal with the removal of some features or that their awesome potential Gaikai BC streaming isn't so awesome for the first year. So I would at least like the option I have now, which is to say having the option to opt-out of an optional service if I know I wont get use out of it or if I don't think there's value for it at that particular time. However, I always find value in having basic online features like friends, trophies, chat, browser, netflix/amazon, etc. Hence, my paywall rant.

UberTag

Online play won't be free. People would be wise to accept this as a fact and then be pleasantly surprised if it is free. Don't anticipate it though, because it's unlikely. Sony is hemorrhaging funds and will undoubtedly lose money on hardware. They'll need to ensure a much, much larger chunk of their user base than now is paying a yearly sub.
I LOVE the idea of Sony giving out a free year of PS World either with pre-orders and/or launch window sales (pre-2014). Motivates all of the "I don't want to pay for online" people to jump in early and will hook them going forward.

That's the best approach Sony can take.

jwhit28

Yeah I'm not trying pay for online play again. With the 360 I go months without playing it so I'm annoyed when I buy the year card but picking up a 3 month card with a new game is annoying as well. PS+ seemed perfect. This is such a let down if true. Still better than always online and no used games.

Qwell

I'm in the camp that says lets wait one more day before we start wishing for Sony to die in a fire. I'm confident they will keep basic online play for free, but I'm also confident that if they keep PS+ kind of the way it is now, with some really good added features like games, reduced sale prices etc. that I will continue to be a PS+ member.

Ultimately I will probably stay Playstation / PC for most of my gaming. I have a 360, but only because my brothers red ringed and he bought a new one so I sent his broken one to get fixed for myself. It's basically my Halo SP / Gears of War box with some Forza sprinkled in.

libregkd

Paywall is probably just an extension of Plus (Which will include some Gaikai integration and some other, social stuff or something to do with that rumored Share button).

Currently free things such as online play, Netflix, Hulu, etc. will more than likely still be free.

Why is online gaming on pc so much better than 360 or ps3 and it's free? Yeah, I'm going to stick with playing for free online on my pc. Sony just doesn't get it.

sphinx

the piano man
sorry for the offtopicness but this thread jumped from page one to page 17 in one hour???

woah, I fear for tomorrow, can GAF handle this???

The problem is that Kotaku's rumors are proven false most of the time.

Yes, they are wrong sometimes but thats how it goes with rumors of any sort. Its not exclusive to Kotaku and video games.

Sometimes they are right on the money with things and they dont get any credit because people only focus on what they got wrong.

Why is online gaming on pc so much better than 360 or ps3 and it's free? Yeah, I'm going to stick with playing for free online on my pc. Sony just doesn't get it.

If by 'it' you mean 'money', you're correct, they haven't gotten 'it' in a long long time. Personally I hope they make a lot of money doing this because as gamers we're much better off when Sony is profitable.

uhhh I have some bad news for you.

I have both, and I only use Live and PSN to play online, not for 'entertainment' bullshit. I've never noticed a difference in quality.

The fact that you need to play online on the 360 and their 'baby' Halo still doesn't have dedicated servers is fucking hilarious.

playstation world is a store in saudi arabia (or something like that) playstation world.org is an italian gamingsite. playstation world was an old german playstation magazine. just saying.

Err, PlayStation is a Sony trademark, Sony can have all of those places shut down for trademark infringement in about 60 seconds.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anything that can be percieved negative will not be announced tomorrow. I am pretty sure you can bank on that.

If there's going to be a big change to the online model (i.e. pay to play), I think they might mention it tomorrow. They talked about Vita's big downer from the offset (memory cards).

The question of unit price will be left up in the air though.

Cake Boss

Banned
Jesus fucking christ where does it say that its paid online now?

The quote about Sony being more like MS is basically that PS+ will just get Cloud and ability to watch your friends stream from the console and some other shit.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
As with all the other price expectations, it's all a rumour at this point. So let's keep the meltdowns or cheering for when it's official.

I think basic functions like online play, crossplay chat and friends invites will be still free. Cloudgaming plus other advanced functions would probably be sub based, which isn't that different from what is happening now.

But when the biggest selling points of this next gen console are presumably behind this new re-branded paywall, who cares if online play is free? It's free now, and it's not very good.

For crying out loud. Online play on the PS3 is fine in fact a lot of games have dedicated servers even. Most issues are the result of bad development from the game dev.

Also you guys are crazy if you think having free online for the same price as the console next to it that requires a paid service is NOT a benefit to the PS4 this holiday season.

You can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Durango/Orbis pastebin was on any NeoGAF threads before we posted about those codenames. We only found it because we googled "durango + orbis" when we first heard those two names.

I can't tell you anything about our source. One of our top priorities is protecting our sources' identities. Sorry. Everything we know is in the piece.

I remember reading that pastebin ages ago (long before your article), and since I don't frequent other forums or gaming sites, it must have been linked here. It might have been Jeff_Rigby that linked to it originally in the old web-browser thread.

Top Bottom