• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

whelp, i'm buying a gaming rig

Yup...
I mean, c'mon...
It's a big feature that I can use a tablet or smartphone to use PSN? Xbox-Live already has this -- it's called live.xbox.com.
It want to use the included PS Eye so people can watch me play and I can watch them play? What the hell? Yeah, no thanks.
Now you're going to charge me for most of PSN's features? Get the fuck out of here. If true, especially if it's required for playing online, combined with the rumoured console price, and I might as well build a gaming PC and just play what I own on steam and get everything new via Steam sales.

tzare

You might be right, but I wouldn't be sure of it. I see no reason for them to provide for free what their competitor charges for.

I really don't think that's the case at all. I doubt anyone, anywhere, ever, has based their purchasing decision on that.
Well, they are not ms and don't have the positive xbl mindshare ms has, the same as smartphone manufacturers cannot price their devices like apple because they lack the brand association with 'better smartphone no matter what'.
and well in this thread many seem not willing to buy orbis because of this rumor, so...

Patapwn

I would never take a kotaku rumor with anything other than a grain of salt.

Some of these details also don't make sense. Why would anyone know finalized and accurate pricing schemes at this point unless they were really high up in sony? It most certainly won't be at the presser let alone know for a while. Second, why would it be 429? I can't imagine this pricing... 399 is just way more marketable for sony not to come down.

So I call bs but we'll find out soon enough!

Absolutely true. I doubt we'll see a price for anything. I think Microsoft has successfully battled back with a bit of FUD and they've used Kotaku as their messenger boy.

Ha, I don't think Microsoft is so worried that they are posting negative PR yet. I am sure Microsoft feels as if they have the best system coming to market at this point. And with nothing announced as of yet, who are we to say that they don't?

Haliela

Would it be a hoot if MS stopped charging for live and Sony started for psn? Just sayin. I'd love to see Sony fans spin that one. Would be hilarious to watch.

oldergamer

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

I've been calling this for a while. I was certain sony would not offer free online play with the new system and lose out the money generated from subscriptions.

Kyoufu

Would it be a hoot if MS stopped charging for live and Sony started for psn? Just sayin. I'd love to see Sony fans spin that one. Would be hilarious to watch.

I would not be a Sony fan if that happened.

I think people are jumping the gun here though. The rumor itself doesn't say anything about online being behind a paywall. They just described PS+ but in an upgraded form.

clav

If that happens, this forum will have essentially divided by zero.

Paches

It would be one of the worst business moves in Microsoft history. And that is saying a lot.

FLAguy954

Summary of a lot of reactions here. Quite sad.

This. There is plenty of the following going around:

- Gamers: "If Sony does this or that I won't buy their net console"
- Sources indicate that Sony will most likely do this and that 'this and that'
- Sony can do no wrong/gamer kryptonite/will buy anyways

:p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That price is pretty close to directly converting 40000 yen to usd.

I'm increasingly thinking this was the case the longer Jason remains silent on that question. Although he may not know the origin of the number, if their source just gave a dollar figure.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Kaz-ifying avatars doesn't have anything to do with fanboyism, people are just getting into the spirit of a pretty rare event, a new console announcement.

Was yours for the new Flashback HD talk? Good stuff but I think it should be left alone.

That's the thing, I think Microsoft is going to do something similar to Sony. They will provably put online play and netflix into the basic free package and make Gold for all the premium stuff like party chat, DVR, or whatever else. I think the ship has sailed on getting away with charging people for online. Neither can afford to let the other hold that bargaining chip.

I guess this information most likely came from a multi-platform dev (because he knew the Xbox codename). How would he know anything about pricing, either of the console hardware or their online services?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Will they allow smartphone / tablet control of ps3 like Xbox smartglass ?

If they don't they might as well pound their balls with hammers, because it's a no-brainer that a second display in that manner is a good thing.

Cake Boss

Banned
Allowing phones and touchpads to be used as controllers only makes sense when they will be pushing Playstation Mobile games on PSN.

tzare

Oh, and sony knows most people won't be paying for two online unlocking services, and if they have to choose one, xbl is the one that is well known and most will choose it, so it just makes no sense. Psn+ is the path they'll follow. Unless they want to repeat early ps3 performance..

Wynnebeck

Banned
This. There is plenty of the following going around:

- Gamers: "If Sony does this or that I won't buy their net console"
- Sources indicate that Sony will most likely do this and that 'this and that'
- Sony can do no wrong/gamer kryptonite/will buy anyways

:p

On the opposite side:

- "LOL Can't wait to see the meltdowns!"
- "Let's see the Sony fans try to spin this!"
- "Sony can do no wrong! haha"
- "Sony charging for online? I'm out."

All of this and we don't even have one shred of confirmed information. Let's not be obtuse here.

Top Bottom