• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

kingocfs

Free online was hardly a major factor either way last gen (what did free online have to do with "losing America"? We both know how they lost their market share), but in a scenario like we have now where two sides are going in direct competition in the same year, free online play could be the tipping point for alot of casual gamers.

Both sides will want something to differentiate themselves from the competition. In particular Sony because they lost America.

But when the biggest selling points of this next gen console are presumably behind this new re-branded paywall, who cares if online play is free? It's free now, and it's not very good.

What the hell is this, a goddamn Nextbox? Why did Sony go the way of Microsoft?

"Premium" online pay-wall? And $529?
Hype for the PS4 just went way, way down if any of this is true. Will reserve fury-of-a-thousand-suns until I see some games, but man, if this is true, it shows Sony has not learned anything from the previous generation.

Just a note, for those wondering about the phone/tablet thing you can probably see what they mean by using the youtube app. You can drive this with something like an iphone and it makes it much easier to use.

SykoTech

That price model is $100 too high. Should be $350-$450 at most.

And I hope that "most online features" doesn't include basic online functionality itself. Or they can piss off.

IrishNinja

It doesn't say it locks online to "PSW". I would think it's safe to assume that online play is something that isn't locked to "PSW".

catching up here, did i misread the OP? "most of the online features" might mean the usual cloud etc stuff, but online play doesn't strike you as a strong possibility?

i'm saying if that's the case, marrying it to a fantastic service of elaborate game rentals is an excellent way to soften that blow.

our source says that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.

actually yeah, this is pretty cool. i was expecting this on XBL, looks like we're really getting parity here, hopefully some extras.

clav

Hype for the PS4 just went way, way down if any of this is true. Will reserve fury-of-a-thousand-suns until I see some games, but man, if this is true, it shows Sony has not learned anything from the previous generation.

But you're supposed to already have two jobs now. ;)

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be happy if there is a pay to play online, and I say that being a ps+ subscriber.

I am okay with the price as long as the 429$ is not an horribly gimped version and that the premium version is really that, and not the version everyone wants anyway. Even if I do think that it's a weird price and 399$ seems so much easier to advertise, 429$ doesn't have the same appeal.

TechJunk

Because that would probably mean charging for vita or ps3 online gaming too. I'm sure they will keep basic online, as in ps3 free, including party chat as in vita, and other advanced features, will be behind a paywall

This.
I'd be pretty pissed if I suddenly had to start paying for PSN on Vita or PS3 when it's been free this whole time. I say they keep online play free, pay for all extras.

sangreal

I don't recall anything official pointing to that. It was PSN all the way, though people assumed that was placeholder and who knows who started that rumor.

ukgjCCf.jpg

it seems pretty clear to me they were simply referring to a playstation-dominated world, but I believe that is how that "rumor" spread

kuroshiki

Lol. $429 is way too obscure. It can't be real. Sony's been making electrical products forever and they never did put 29 at the end of price tag.

Calm down bro. It's rumour, and it's rumour from motherfucking kotaku. Don't give them too much credit.

DieH@rd

Banned
Why is everybody OK with backwards compatibility being behind a paywall? Paying a monthly fee to play your existing games you already own, even in single player mode?

Nobody has confirmed that PS3 game streaming will be for "backwards compatibility".

Sony can very easily say: "Your bought PS3 content can be played on PS3. Go play it there! Now, for PS World users, included in your subscription is 3-5 games activation per month of ENTIRE PLAYSTATION CATALOGUE via Gaikai."

In short, we only know that Gaikai will be used in some capacity. We dont know what that capacity will be.

Shion

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use.
I just went from:

99% PS4
1% Xbox

to

50% PS4
50% Xbox

Don't do this, Sony.

These prices are being pulled out of their asses. I don't even think Sony knows for sure what they're selling it for. They have an idea but its going to be heavily based on the reaction it gets tomorrow and leading up to E3.

Reaction? Really? What determines the price of the PS4 is the bottom line. They are not going to take huge loss on hardware because of a reaction.

JABEE

Yeah, I remember we found that while googling around when we first heard about the code names. We linked that pastebin in one of our original stories, IIRC. I don't think many people had seen it or heard the names Orbis or Durango before we broke them. You definitely won't find any news stories using those names before we posted about them.

Did your source know about it if they were someone who paid any kind of attention to NeoGAF or forums at the time? Do you have any confirmation that they work at any of the companies involved in the development of next gen games or internal strategies?

hymanator

If Playstation Plus is simply being replaced by "Playstation World", then that technically shouldn't be a big deal to existing subscribers. If they are expecting people to pay an annual fee for both services, I might weep as I give them my money. I just hope they don't require me to be an AT&T subscriber to use my phone.

J-Rod

I knew they were going to do their best to make a monthly subscription as close to necessary as possible this go around. I still think they may keep online gaming free, but I have no doubt they will keep some key features behind a subscription service.

What is so bad about Kotaku posting rumors? The past 3 weeks the vast majority of the posts on this site were about rumor excitement. Would it really be better if nobody ever posted and rumors or leaked anything and the only information we received was from official press releases?

Becoming a paid service will most likely increase the quality too. But I guess everything has to be free these days, because.

And if it doesn't increase the quality, it means a lot of free extra months of service tacked on due to outages/fiascos etc. I'm fine with that too.

I'm no more than "mildly curious" regarding PS4 right now...

I just know that if I get excited by what is on show tomorrow, Sony will slap me (and the rest of Europe) around with a "Spring 2014" release date for our region and a price conversion that will make my eyes water.

Derrick01

Banned
If the subscription is Plus, it's the best deal in gaming.

The only thing to worry about is them raising the base price of Plus with all this extra shit tacked on, unless they're banking on millions of new people paying for it on top of the people already paying it.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Only reliable if it posts good news about your system of choice, right?
Slow news day, they've got nothing so this would drive a lot of
traffic before everyone else get the real news

Proxy

Yeah, I remember we found that while googling around when we first heard about the code names. We linked that pastebin in one of our original stories, IIRC. I don't think many people had seen it or heard the names Orbis or Durango before we broke them. You definitely won't find any news stories using those names before we posted about them.

Is your source a developer? A yes or no answer will suffice.

iceatcs

"Most" is not enough information. I will see tomorrow. I hope it mean only more online features won't be free users, then that's fine.

Top Bottom