• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PS4 out in November, control with your phone/tablet, maybe $429/529

leroidys

I would pay 430, but if its just a "tard pack" ( I hate this term, can we come up with a better term?), I'm just going to wait and get the fully functional console when the price drops.

500+ is seriously too high, even for the premium package.

God damn it, Sony. I thought they learned that lesson.

Try to sell that in recession-hit Sonyland, and see how it goes.

LastNac

If Sony try to make me pay for Online, then I'm absolutely done with console gaming.

We need to protest this BS.

tumblr_m4kk12K4zU1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

Zoe

Well that's out of the question. I can only see HDDs being the differentiating factor between the 2. Only way it can have that price difference is if they are actually using SSDs. There were a few rumors saying that, right?

SSD's still cost way too much. Consumers won't see the value in what $100 can buy you.

PS4 will be stillborn at a dime higher than $399. Seeing $429 for the lame SKU is heartbreaking, especially if they're going to go the Xbox LIVE charge for P2P online gaming scam route.

Kotaku had best be wrong on this one.

400 was fine, but 30 more heart breaking? Jeez what drama queens.

DuckZilla

Neo Member
I seriously wouldn't mind buying a new Console for 599$. That's what I did back with my PS3 & Xbox360 came out. I would do it again. I mean 530$ isn't that bad when you compare it with other eletronic device (Ipad, Smartphone, Some GPU are about that price too.) For the amount of hours I play with them and all the years I keep them I personally think 530$ isn't that bad at all...

Speculating on pricing details 9 months before launch is so bad lol. These things change wildly. I still think they go 399/499.

I guarantee you Sony hasn't decided on pricing just yet.

RyanDG

Even if Sony is planning on charging for online features, I wouldn't expect them to breath a word of it at the event tomorrow.

Midas

Haha. And everyone is taking the higher RUMORED price as the real price point. Calm down. Proper publications have said that it will be around 300£ and the article even say; "but that could change", in regards to price.

Mokubba

"most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

Online play is not a premium service. It's pretty basic so I don't get the reactions but I can see why people will be paranoid.

If PS+ will get upgraded then those with it now won't be asked to pay for more features so it might be a good idea to stock for a couple of years in case they try to increase the price.

Strife91

If I'm forced to pay for online then I won't be getting it soon. And releasing it for more than 400 dollar seems like a really bad idea. Remove that shitty camera that one cares about and reduce the price. Oh wait. That might be the $429 sku.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I think you need to spot-check your tone. I made a very level-headed comment, and you went off like I personally insulted you. I didn't even quote your post or mention you whatsoever.

I guess you were one of the people that said $400 would be the max, though.

I guess you filtered out the part where you said I'm selectively reading posts. Also assuming I'm one of these "people" who said $400 would be the max? lol Welcome to the ignore list.

What makes you think we got this info before today?

Which is why I said "possibly".

ironcreed

Banned
I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- discounts for PSN store
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
- advanced video recording
- free entertaiment content

This right here.

Jeff-DSA

I'm unhappy with the stick placement. I hate the left stick being down low. It's time to move it up, Sony. Wait, no, it was time to do that two generations ago.

genjiZERO

you can't save an extra 30 dollars in the next 9 months?

I can't even afford it at 399 (or at all to be honest). But I think it's psychological. It's the reason you sell things at 399.99 and not 400. 399.99 sounds a lot less than 400 (or 429.99).

Wazzy

Banned
No way they start charging for online. That would be a ridiculous move. Hopefully the price and the online fee are false.

Jack_AG

Banned
Online gaming will still be free. I expect other features to hide behind the Plus paywall tho.

But for what you get with Plus to begin with - it's a win/win.

Trevelyon

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- BC via gaikai or monthly access to entire streaming Playstation catalogue [pay more to activate more games per month].
- cloud saves
- spectating friends

Seems good. Roided up Plus/rebrand would be fantastic. Seems like Sony really hit a great middle ground with Plus and free MP this generation. Would be devastating for them to completely ruin that at the start of the next generation.

I smell the monthly fee being required to play the PS3 games you already own (if they use Gakai streaming for BC). I'm more offended at a monthly fee for BC than for online gaming.

Sounds believable. Even the prospect of all online play being part of the sub doesn't surprise me. Hell, in that case, I kind of expected it for PS4 as soon as MS started making insane money on XBL and, amazingly, it's been growing in profit for them all of this time. Sony had to be taking notes if they wanted to match the same level of community and have a sustainable online business to compete with XBL. Controller looks like an improvement on Dual Shit 3...I dislike the sticks, the tops, and the triggers all very equally on that junk. Now, it looks good and pleasantly usable. I hope my two years of PS+ carry forward into this new service seamlessly and without added cost.

Barakov

The price for Orbis is a little higher than I was expecting, but it's still not too bad given the specs we've heard about.

If the paid online is true, I'm definitely going to have to make a choice between Durango and Orbis for whose online I'm going to pay for. This kinda kills my hype for tomorrow's announcement. :/

JaggedSac

Will be interesting to see what kind of features their subscription offers. Will they leave that online play money on the table or maybe will they go for free lumps of cloud based game streaming or something.

Jon93

Neo Member
I love how none of you are actually reading the OP.

PS Eye is NOT the second version of the webcam. It's a Onlive like spectation system that basically turns all of your PS4 friends into a Twitch stream. Gaikai enables this since the games will be a hybrid between streaming and local.

I wonder if they will use the "new" theory to stream games, instead of a video signal they send the GPU "half chewed" data. IE their servers do the hard stuff leaving the really easy math to the on-board stuff, enabling a low-to-zero latency hybrid cloud gaming system.

All speculation though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

the most worrying aspect of this. damn i hope this doesnt mean gameplay

UrbanRats

I hope for:

Online MP is free
Day1 demos for everyone

PS World:
- monthly free games
- cloud saves
- spectating friends
This is how it should be.

Looking at the prices of other Sony electronics, especially their phones and tablets, I believe the pricing rumours. "Premium brand", remember.

velociraptor

New information revealed by our source suggests that on top of all that, you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine, our source says.

This is fucking awesome.

However, if Sony charge for ONLINE PLAY, I'll give up on next gen.

Top Bottom